- Text Size +
The third day that Tony was on protection detail with me, Jet came home. "Report, DiNozzo."

I had to roll my eyes at that. It had been the same as it was the day before. But I left him to give it, it was part of his job and I knew that Jet was serious about this and so was Tony. I leaned back as he gave the report and headed home. I slide my hands through my shaggy hair.

"I know you need to get a report but nothing is going down, Jet, and if it did, you would have known by now."

He looked up as there was a knock on the door. He went to answer it. I heard Henderson say who he was when Gibbs asked. "Henderson, come on in."

He came in and sat at the kitchen table where I was. Jet followed him in and started making some coffee. "Yeah, Cahill, I wanted some advice."

I shrugged and nodded. I stood up. "Let's go for a ride." I grabbed my gun and badge.

When Jet went to grab his gun and badge, I stopped him. "Henderson's got my back, so no, you can't come with us."

Jet looked at me. "I don't give a shit! I don't know him and I don't trust him to watch your back."

I looked at Jet. "So glad you get to make this decision!" I did it all in sarcasm. "You are not going with us. Go work on your damn boat. If I think that there's a problem and I need you, I will call." We walked out and got into Henderson's car and headed to a diner to talk.

When we parked, we both got out. I heard the gunfire. I got down, quick. I heard a thud on the other side of the car. I looked under the car and saw Henderson hit the floor, there was a shit load of blood. "Henderson, answer me!" I heard someone coming and I lifted up.

Shit, it was Andrew Jackson. I took out my gun, looked again and then I lifted up and fired my weapon just as he did. I felt pain in my right arm and watched as Andrew Jackson hit the floor. I walked over. my gun trained on him the whole time as I kicked his gun out of the way. I'd got him between the eyes. I checked his pulse, to be sure the man was dead.

I rushed over to Henderson and knelt down, I felt for a pulse and mumbled. I started CPR on him. I kept going until some EMT took over. I stood back and watched. Then they shook their heads at me. Shit. The EMT told me that it was just a flesh wound on my arm and they dressed the wound. A detective came over and started to question me. I gave him the low down on what had happened. I let him know that I had put Andrew Jackson away when I was a detective, and that he had threatened to come after me when he got out. I told him that I was a bounty hunter, making sure he knew that I wasn't the bad guy, but I knew they would be asking witnesses.

I had called Jet. When he got there I told him what had happen. He took me to the hospital, even when I told him no, that I was fine. He called my doctor who came and looked me over. "Well, Mr. Cahill, you seem to be fine. You just had a flesh wound. There's no stress on the baby."

I set on the edge of the bed nodding. "Thanks, Doctor. That's what I told Jet, that I would be fine."

The doctor nodded. "Well, I am glad he had you come in. It's good to make sure your okay."

The doctor let me go after I signed the release papers. We headed home and Jet said. "You should have let me come with you."

I looked out the window. "You know what, Jet, you really need to shove it! There's a man dead and he was a friend of mine. I really don't need to hear what I did wrong and how I was at risk. He was shot first and killed, so I had to protect myself. I don't give a shit if you should have been with me. You weren't and I have to deal with calling the boss and letting him know that we lost a good friend and colleague. So do me a favor and don't talk to me, right now."

I picked up my phone and called the Boss to let him know what had happened. We both knew it was a risk, part of the job. We talked for a good ten minutes. Then I called Tony to see if I could crash on his couch tonight. I didn't need to deal with Jet. I got out of the car still talking to Tony. I went in and headed up to our room to pack an overnight bag. I heard him come in.

Jet sat on the bed. "You should just stay here after what just happened. You should stay here and rest."

I didn't want him to think it was him. "Its not you. Tony and I have gone through this together a few times, when a fellow cop died. We sit and watch movies and eat pizza. It's a calming affect. Jet, I really need to just have Tony around. I need to clear my head and have some male time with someone that isn't my boyfriend."

He kissed me softly, and I saw the look in his eyes. "Why don't you call Tony, Jet, and tell him to come over and bring a movie. We can watch movies here and eat some pizza."

He went down stairs to make the call as I got out of the bloody shirt and put on some sleeping pants and a tank top. When Tony got there, we sat down together and ate some pizza and watched a movie. Jet slid me between his legs and I leaned against his chest. He seemed to want me close, he had almost lost me, so I didn't mind.