- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Second time she finds purity
Second time

The second time I felt it again, I was at a train station. I had been living on the streets for a couple of months, since I had left the house Mrs. Thorn had put me in. The lady had a very screech voice she used whenever she ordered us around to do chores, and her mate had wandering hands.

Master indulged himself into many pleasures, but he was adamant that the Servant would not be used like that. I would help some of his household chores but I was specially separated for the Pit. His bedmates would never dive in the Pit.

I was a street urchin, living on petty theft and rest of food restaurants in the area would throw away. I found out some shelters where they would serve hot soup some days of the week, and they would always gladly give me a bowl and comment what a pity that such gorgeous angel had to live on the streets.

I never complained, as long as they gave me food. It was even better when they left me use the showers and gave me some ratty (but clean) clothes.

But on that beautiful autumn day, as I was strolling on the busy tarmac trying to decide who should be my next victim, I felt it again. A mixture of wild roses and passion fruit flower, along with something that words could not describe.

My victim forgotten, I simply followed my nose. I came to a café on the station where a tall man was talking on a phone booth. He had his back to me. I could see he had tall shoulders, a thick head of hair, and a soothing voice.

But the scent was simply intoxicating.

"Yes, darling, I got delayed at the conference so I am going home on the next train. Yes, it will arrive in Montana two hours later. No, I will just have a coffee while I wait. Give a kiss at the rug rats." Silence "I love you too" He puts the phone down, turns around and sees me there standing.

"Hi"

Fight or flight. Fight or flight.

"Is there any problem?"

Run, idiot, run!

"So…"

Chaplain Joseph Buchanan, retired Colonel of the United States Air Force, stood there looking at a small child, probably not older than ten years old. She had clothes that, even though clean, were clearly second hand. Her hair was on a ponytail, but the most striking feature were her deep brown eyes, which at that moment were looking at him with a doe on the headlights expression.

"So… bye" He started to walk away, but he did not take two steps before his heart felt constricted. He looked back and the child was at the same spot, looking at him as if he had murdered her best friend. He did not question his reasons, but followed what the Lord told him to do. He walked to the child, lowered on one of his knees so he could be on her same height and offered:

"I have to wait for my train, and I am planning on having some hot chocolate and cake. Would you like to join me?"

Chaplain Buchanan would later say that it was one of the most amazing transformations he had ever seen. The little urchin opened a shy smile that shone through her eyes and warmed his heart, took a step forward and lifted her little hand to him.

He took her hand and led her to one of the tables, where they shared huge cups of delicious hot chocolate and two slices of cake.

She did not say a single word the whole time, but her smile was worth thousand words.

However, when he tried to buy a coffee on the train to Montana, he had no money. The little urchin had stolen his wallet.