- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs goes to check on Kate after a very stressful and emotional day at work.
Kate sits alone in her darkened apartment. The only light was from a lamp beside the lounge. She starred at the clock 12:30am.
‘ Go to sleep Kate’ she said to herself. She couldn’t bear to close her eyes for fear of seeing the bastards face again.
She was suddenly taken out of her thoughts by a knock at the door. She put the cushion she was holding back on the lounge and ran to get the door.
“ Gibbs, what are you doing here?” she asked with a confused look on her face.
“ Checking up on you” he said and walked in past her. She closed the door behind him and walked back into the lounge room.
“ Ducky sent me home so I’m fine” she told him crossing her arms over her chest. Gibbs to a good long look at her, taking in her still rare split lip.
“ You don’t look fine” he said, starring at her lip.
“ Gibbs don’t do this. Its been a stressful day” she said with a sigh.
“ Your damn right it has. Why didn’t you call for back-up?” he started. He didn’t know why he said it, but all of a sudden anger hit him and he was demanding to know why she had almost got herself killed. Kate starred at him in disbelief at his change of tone, before answering.
“ Because he was right there. I wasn’t going to let him get away again” she said, almost yelling. She was in a calm mood before, but now he was just bringing all her anger out.
“ So you get yourself kidnapped and bashed instead” he yelled at her.
“ He didn’t bash me” she yelled back.
“ That’s not the point. He is a known terrorist. What were you thinking?” he asked rhetorically.
“ I was thinking about doing my job” she answered.
“ He could of killed you” he yelled as he took a step closer to her. He hadn’t told anyone about the dream he had that morning about finding Kate in a body. And with the events of today the image kept haunting him.
“ No he wouldn’t of” she said matter-of-factly.
“ And why not? He killed that blonde right in front of. What made you think he wouldn’t kill you?” he asked studying her closely.
“ He needed me” was all she said, in a softer tone then before.
“ What for?” he asked concerned. She took in a deep breath before talking again.
“ Information. He wanted to know how tell which one carried the president” she said looking at him.
“ Did you tell him?” he asked without thinking.
“ Of course I didn’t. Who do you think I am?” she yelled at him with her hands on her hips.
“ After today, I have no idea” he told her, pinning her with his eyes.
“ I cant believe you just that” she said shaking her head. She was hurt right now, but she was not going to let Gibbs walk all over her.
“ I cant believe a lot of things” he said shaking his head.
“ What is that suppose to mean?” she spat back. He didn’t say anything. He turned away and headed for the door. He didn’t want to continue this. He was to exhausted and just needed a drink.
“ Don’t just dismiss me like that. You came here and started this remembered” she yelled as she stopped Gibbs in the hallway. He stopped and turned to look at her. He remembered when she said that to him last time, it seemed like a lifetime ago now.
“ I just have one question. Through this hole thing, were you scared at all?” he asked in a softer tone. He studied her. He looked into her eyes and saw something. Her mood changed and she looked away from her.
Kate’s heart beat pounded in her chest. All her emotions were coming to the surface now. She just wanted to end this fighting and go cry herself to sleep.
“ Yes” she says in a small voice.
“ What of?” he asks. He can see her eyes dancing over his features.
“ Being killed?” he asked again when he didn’t get an answer. Kate shook her head.
“ Of never seeing you again” she finally said. She starred into her eyes and couldn’t take it anymore. She turned around just as the tears started down her face.
Gibbs didn’t know what to do. He felt guilty for bringing everything up again. He should have known better. He takes a deep breath, he wants to leave but he cant leave her like this. She had just opened up to him and now he wanted to do the same.
He slowly walks up behind her.
Kate felt his warm breath on her bare shoulder. He lent down and gently kissed the bare skin of her shoulder where her jumper had fallen off her.
“ Me too” he whispered in her ear then placed a kiss on her neck. She turned around and looked up at him with teary eyes. He reached up and wiped the tears that still ran down her cheek. He leaned down and kissed her on the cheek. When he looked back at her, her eyes were filled with desire, comfort and a warmth that had been missing for a long time.
“ Kiss me” she said softly, almost a whisper. He looked down at her lip.
“ Your lip” he said just a softly.
“ I don’t care, just kiss me” she said and stood even closer to her. He leaned down and hesitated a little as he saw the cut up close. Kate couldn’t wait any longer and she didn’t give a damn about her lip, she wasn’t going to let it ruin this moment. She ran a hand through his hair and stopped at the back of his neck and pulled him closer and kissed him.