- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
After a horrible tragedy, McGee need to get away. He goes to Georgia for four months.While there he meets another instructor who will change his life.
Timothy McGee arrived in Georgia on a Saturday. He was to start his new temporary job on Monday. He was unsure about everything but he needed to get away from Washington. And the tragedy that had happened. He was given an apartment in Georgia to stay while he worked at FLETEC. He spend Saturday and Sunday unpacking and getting ready for the day.

He arrived at FLETEC on Monday at 7:30. He was meant by the director.

"Agent McGee, welcome. We are glad you are here with us. Even if it is only for a short time." Director Tyler Moore said.

"Thank you, Director. I am glad to be here." He replied.

"Agent McGee, I know what happen and why you are here. I hope this is what you need." The director replied.

"Thank you. I hope this will help me also." He replied.

"I hope so. Anyway, here is your key to the room. And the current lesson plans. It is room 102. You are right by Caitlin Brooks. She teaches Behavior Analysis and Forensic Psychology. She should be able to help with anything you need." The director said handing McGee everything.

"Thank you." He replied shaking his hand.

After getting everything, he walked to the classroom. He hoped he could do this and not break down.

"Hi, can I help you?" He asked when he saw the blonde in his classroom.

"I'm Caitlin Brooks. Everyone calls me Cate. I teach in the class next door." Cate said introducing herself.

"I'm Timothy McGee. I teach computers." He replied shaking her hand. It shocked him that her name was Cate. It made him think of the other Caitlin he had known. The one that was taken so suddenly.

"Yeah, the director told us. I am glad you are here. I hope this is what you need." Cate replied.

"Thank you. I hope so too." He replied. He couldn't believe that everyone knew but they all seemed nice.

"Well, I will let you get ready. I just wanted to introduce myself, and give you this." She replied handing him an invitation.

"It's an invitation?" He asked.

"It's an invitation to have lunch with me. So, I can fill you in on everything. And get to know you better." She said. She knew what it was like to lose people.

"I guess that would be ok." He replied, not sure about having lunch with her.

"Great. I will come here at noon. And I will take you to lunch." She said walking out.

After she left, Tim sat at his desk and looked over the lesson plans. He wanted to make a good impression on his students. And he wanted to get his mind off what had happened. Just as he was in thought, the students came in. He introduced his self. And began the class.

Lunch time soon came around. And Cate came into his class.

"Did you have a good first half day?" She asked.

"Yeah, it was fine. I just am not sure about anything." He said. Revealing a piece of what was wrong.

"It will get better. So, let's go to lunch. I know this great place just down the street." She said motioning toward the door.

"Ok, let's go." He replied walking with her to the door.

They drove to La More, an Italian restaurant. They ordered and started to talk.

"So, do you like working for NCIS?" Cate asked him.

"Yeah, I do. But recently, I am just not sure. I don't know if it what I want to be." He said, not realizing how honest he was being with his girl. Someone he had just met. But he felt comfortable talking with her.

"That is understandable. Based on what happen. But that is why you came right. To get away from it for a little while." She replied just as their order arrived.

"Yeah. I hope getting away is just want I need. I feel like I am running from things. And I am not sure if that is good thing." He replied as they ate.

"Sometimes you just need to get away from things to see things clearly. People heal in their own way. That is just how it is." She replied. She enjoyed talking with him. And she knew all too well what he was going through.

"I guess you're right. I will just have to see what happens." He replied.

They finished their meal and went back to the school. The rest of day proceeded like normal. And Tim went home to his place. He found himself thinking about everything. The people who were lost. And the people who were in DC healing. Tim thought about Tony, Abby, Gibbs, Ducky, Ziva, Michelle, and Palmer. How had things ended like they did? He was uncertain if he could heal. But he wanted to. He had told Tony as much when he left. He just needed a change and hoped this would help. But he still had that feeling. He wanted his pain to go away and keep going back to before he left.

The next day, he arrived at class just like before. He saw Cate in the teacher's lounge.

"Good morning, Tim." She said as he walked in.

"Good morning, Cate." He replied walking to the drink machine.

"Everything, ok." She asked seeing that he looked like he hadn't slept.

"Yeah, just a long night." He replied getting his soda and having a seat.

"Lunch today." She said as she sat down beside him.

"Ok." He replied not wanting to be rude. But there was also something that made him want to say yes to her.

"Great. I am a good cook. I brought some food. We can eat in courtyard." She replied.

"Great. I will see you at noon." He replied getting up and going toward class.

"He's cute." Linda Moore, another instructor, said after Tim left.

"He is cute. But he is dealing with a lot of stuff. And I just want to help." She replied.

"Cate, I know what you are thinking. But do you think you can really help him? He seems so lost." Linda replied.

"I think I can. I know how he feels. I am not looking to fall in love with him or sleep with him. I just want to help." She replied getting up.

"Cate, just be careful. I don't want you hurt." Linda replied.

"I don't think he would hurt me. He is nice." She replied walking out.

Lunch time soon came, and Cate went to Tim's room.

"Tim, are you ready to go?" She asked.

"Yes. Let's go." He replied getting his things together.

They walked to the courtyard, where Cate had everything set up. She had made rosemary chicken and potatoes.

"This looks good." He said as they sat down to eat.

"Thank you. I like to cook. And I am actually pretty good at." She replied as she put the food on the plates.

They enjoyed their meal and made small talk. Cate enjoyed talking with Tim. She wanted him to open up about what happen. She knew it would help.

"Tim, why don't you come over to my place for dinner? I know you could use a home cook meal." She asked him as she began to clean up from lunch.

"I don't know. Lunch is one thing, but dinner is something else." He replied. He wasn't sure he was ready for a date.

"I'm not asking you to fall in love with me, or even sleep with me. I just thought it would be nice for two friends to have a meal together that wasn't at work." She said.

"I'm sorry. That was stupid of me." He said with sadness that he thought of something so stupid.

"Tim, its fine. I understand how it might have seemed to you. I didn't mean to sound angry. I just want to get to know you better. That's all." She said.

"Ok, what time?" He asked accepting her invitation.

"Seven. Here is my address and phone. As well as directions. If you need anything, call me." She said as they began to walk back to the classrooms.

"Ok, I will see you at seven." He replied.

"Great. See you then." She replied as they both went to their classrooms.

Neither one saw each other during the day. Their classes kept them busy. Soon the day ended and Cate went to get the ingredients for the dinner. She liked Tim but she realizes what he was going through. She had been there. She knew he needed a friend. And that is what she was going to do.

Tim arrived at Cate's a little before seven. He was nervous about being there. He wasn't ready to date anyone but Cate had invited him as a friend. And he was in the mood for a home cooked meal. He knocked on the door.

"Tim, come in." Cate said as she moved to let him inside.

"Thank you. I brought you this." He replied as he handed her a bottle of wine.

"Thank you. I am sure it will go well with dinner." She replied taking the bottle and walking into the kitchen.

"So, you have a nice place." He said as he followed her into the kitchen. He didn't know what else to say.

"Thank you. I have lived here about five years. I moved here in 2003." She replied. "If you want, make yourself comfortable and I will bring you a glass of wine. Dinner has about ten minutes."

"Thank you." He said as he walked into the living room. He looked around at the different photos she had. One caught his eye; it was a picture of Cate with a group of people in front of the world trade center.

"Here you go." She said as she walked toward him and handed him a glass of wine.

"Thank you." He replied. "So, did you visit the world trade center?"

"No, I used to work there. I was there on 9/11." She replied, remembering that day.

"Oh, I didn't know." He said, feeling bad that he brought it.

"No, it's fine. My company was having a conference at Windows on the World. My boss realized we were short some copies. He sent me to the copy shop to make some more." She said as she took the photo from him.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked." He said seeing the sadness in her eyes. It did match his.

"No, it's fine. I had just walked out of the building and was walking down toward the photo shop when the first plane hit. I knew immediately that no one in the upper floors would survive. I just had a bad feeling. My whole company was lost that day. I had unbelievable guilt." She said just as the oven timer went off.

She got the food together and sat it down on the table. They each sat down. As they ate, Tim asked her to tell him more.

"What happen after?" He asked.

"I stayed in New York for a while. Got a new job with the FBI. But I was never the same. I was so lost. The guilt was unbearable. I knew the only way to stop it was to kill myself. I planned everything out." She said as they ate.

"Maybe I shouldn't be asking you about this?" He said. He was feeling bad that he was making her relive this.

"Tim, its fine. I have made my peace with it. I can talk about it." She replied. She knew that her talking about her experience would help him.

"I just don't want you to. I don't know what I'm trying to say." He said, not sure what he was trying to say.

"I know. But maybe it's something you need to hear." She replied not wanting to give anyway her real reason.

"Ok. If you want to tell me, I am listening." He replied.

"Ok, like I said. I planned it out. I got a bottle of valium and a few bottles of rum. And I took the pills. I was certain I would die. But as it happen, a friend came by to give me an invitation. She saw me, called 911, and they save me." She replied just as they finished dinner.

"So, you survived. I am glad." He said not sure if that was the right thing to say.

"Yeah, I hated her for a while. I didn't want to be saved. I wanted the guilt to go away. They admitted me and I got help." She replied as she brought the dessert.

"So, the doctors helped?" He asked as she served the cake.

"They did. But while I was recovering, I found the faith I needed. I realized that everything happens for a reason. I was meant to survive on 9/11 and I was meant to survive the suicide." She said as they sat there having the cake.

"That's good advice. What was your reason?" He asked. He knew what she was feeling then. It was the same feelings he was having. He understood them all too well.

"I have always wondered what my reason was. Now, I think I know. Tim, I survived to help you." She replied, not knowing what he would say.

"I don't need help. I think you are wrong." He replied, not wanting to admit the feelings he had.

"Tim, you have been through a tragic event. And I know you have thought about or have almost committed suicide. I can help you through this. Please let me." She said trying to convince him. She knew he needed to begin to heal.

"Ok, you are right. I have almost committed suicide. But I couldn't do it. It was then I realized that I needed to get away. And I came here." He said as they finished dessert.

They then went to the living room. They continued to talk. Cate listened as he told her about the shooting and losing people. She listened because she knew he needed it.

"We were just suppose to see what clues were left. We didn't know they were waiting to shoot at us. We had just come out of the house and were taking the evidence to the truck. It was then that they opened fire on us." He said as he told her about that day.

"Go on. It will help you to talk about it." She said as she encouraged him.

"Ziva, Tony, Michelle, Abby, and Palmer were the first ones hit. Ziva died instantly. Michelle and Palmer died at the hospital. Abby was hit in the head and was in coma. Tony was hit in the chest and had to have emergency surgery." He said. It was difficult to talk about but she was right talking seemed to help. "I was hit also in the chest and rushed to the hospital."

"You don't have to tell me everything yet. You can take your time. There is no rush. You are going to be here for four months." She said not wanting to rush him into talking.

"Thanks. But I want to tell you." He replied. He wanted her to know everything about that day.

"Ok, I'm listening, Please continue." She said.

"When I woke up, I was alone in the hospital. I didn't know who had survived or who was dead. I was lost. Bu then, Ducky came to see me. He told me that Michelle, Palmer, and Ziva were dead. He said that Tony and Abby were in critical condition. He and Gibbs were far enough away from the building that they were fine. In fact, it was Gibbs who applied pressure to my wound and saved me." He said. "I couldn't believe they were gone."

"I know it was hard. Did Tony and Abby make it?" She asked. She wanted to know everything about him and his friends.

"Yeah, they survived. Tony came through the surgery just like me fine. Abby was in a coma for awhile." He replied. "She woke up right before I left."

"Who did you love that was lost that day?" She asked. She could tell that the person he loved was lost.

"Ziva. I couldn't save her. I think that was the hardest. I wanted to spend my life with her. But we never got the chance." He said with sadness in his voice.

"I'm sorry. Maybe that is all you should say for now. Give yourself time to deal with that. We can talk more later." She said. She knew that a little at a time was the right way.

"You are right. Thanks for listening. I guess I did need that." He said as she walked him to the door.

"No problem. I can help you. Just let me." She replied.

"Thanks, I will try." He said leaning in to kiss her good night. The kiss was soft and slow.

"Call me if you need anything. If you just want to talk or anything." She said as he left.

After he left, Cate cleaned up. She thought about Tim and what he had told her. She was right. He had the feelings she had after 9/11. She hoped her talking about what happen to her would help him. She could see in his eyes that he needed her help.

While Cate clean up and thought about Tim. He was thinking about her on his way home. When she told him about what she had been through, he realized he had those feelings. He felt just as hopeless. He had thought about suicide many times. But he couldn't bring himself to do it. He had begun to wonder if he would never heal from it. But talking with Cate, made him realize that he could heal. She had been through it. And he began to think he needed her to help him. She had told him she would. But he was still unsure about it.

The next day, they had lunch. They talked about what was said the night before.

"Tim, about the things we said last night. I meant it when I said I wanted to help you. I can see the sadness and hopelessness in your eyes." She said as they ate lunch.

"I know. It did help to talk about it. I was hoping we could talk some more." He said, hoping she would want to.

"I would like that. How about I come over to your apartment and cook you dinner?" She asked.

"Ok. Here is my address and phone. How about seven tomorrow?" He said writing down everything and handing it to her.

"Ok, I will see you at seven." She said as they ended lunch.

The next evening Cate arrived promptly at seven. She had brought some things to make spaghetti. It was quick and easy. She knocked on the door.

"Cate, welcome to my home." He said as he opened the door.

"Thanks. I brought spaghetti stuff." She said putting the bags in the kitchen.

"Thanks but I thought I would surprise you and make you dinner." He said showing her the table.

"This is a nice surprise. I will leave the spaghetti stuff and you can make it later." She replied putting it up.

"Ok. Well, let's eat." He said pulling out a chair at the table. "Sit, please."

"Thank you." She said. "This looks great."

"Thanks. It baked lemon chicken. My mom taught me to make it." He replied as he served it.

"It's good." She replied as they ate.

They finished dinner and move to the living room. Tim wanted to tell her more about his feelings.

"So, do you want to continue from the other night?" She asked.

"Yes, I would like to." He replied.

"Ok, well, what happen after you found out who died and who survived?" She asked.

"I was lost. I went to the site everyday. I just needed to. I would visit Tony and Abby in the hospital. Then I would go to the site. It was after one of these visits that I decided to commit suicide. I went on the internet and looked up ways to do it. I planned it out. I had the tub filled and everything ready. But I couldn't do it." He replied looking down at the floor.

"Tim, it's ok. I understand." She said taking her hand and lifting his head up to her level. "Please continue."

"Something stopped me. I don't quite know what it was. But I couldn't do it. I wonder what made me stop. It doesn't make sense. But after that I knew I needed to get away." He said. He still didn't understand why he stopped.

"Maybe it was Ziva. Telling you it wasn't your time. Tim, I don't know what made you stop, but I am glad it did." She replied.

"Maybe it was, but I still feel that I could do it. I could kill myself and be better off. I just feel guilty. I want the guilt to go away." He said as he started to cry.

She put her arms around him and gave him a hug. He hugged her back. He lifted his head and gently kissed her. She kissed him back. The next thing she knew, they were in the bedroom.

The next morning, Cate woke in his apartment. She knew what had happen and she didn't regret it. It was oblivious he needed the comfort that she provided. He came into the room and sat down.

"Cate, I am sorry about last night. I didn't mean for this to happen." He said. He knew he didn't intend to sleep with her.

"Tim, I don't regret what happen. You needed someone last night. And I was there. I'm glad I could be there for you. I hope you don't regret what happen." She said.

"I don't regret it, I just hadn't intended for it to happen. I don't want to ruin our friendship." He said. He cared for her and didn't want anything to ruin that. But it hadn't felt weird to sleep with her. It felt right. And he didn't know what to do about that.

"It won't. Tim, you needed me last night. Let's just try to move on and continue to get you better." She said. She didn't feel weird about them sleeping together. It actually felt right. And that confused her. She had never had that feeling before.

"Ok, I would like that. I want to get better." He told her.

Over the next few months, Cate and Tim spent a lot of time together. She helped him heal from the shooting. He told her everything he was feeling. How he wanted to end it but couldn't. How seeing Tony try to walk and recover was hard. How visiting Abby every day was hard. How trying to move on without Ziva was hard. He just talked and she listened. That was what he needed. Before long, it was almost time for him to leave and go back to DC.

"Tim, I was hoping you would come over and let me make you a farewell dinner." She said as they had lunch.

"I would like that." He replied. Her friendship had come to mean so much to him over the past few months. And he wanted to spend his last night with her.

"Great. Come over the usually time." She said as they walked back to their classroom.

Tim arrived on time as always. Cate made the same dinner she had made the first night. They had a great dinner. After dinner, they moved to the living room. She had a special gift for him.

"Tim, I have something for you." She said as she handed him the gift bag.

"Thank you." He said taking the gift. He pulled out a beautiful sliver cross and a DVD. "What is the DVD for?"

"Oh, I made a DVD for your team. It explains a few things. I think it would help them and you. It is time you heal with your team. It is important for you and them. You have made great progress here, but healing here is not all you need. The cross, I wanted you to have to remember me and to have faith." She replied. She thought a DVD for his team was a great idea.

"Thank you." He replied. "Cate, I wanted to tell you something."

"What?" She asked. She hoped it wouldn't be something bad.

"I would have drowned without you. You saved me." He replied telling her what he had thought about for a while.

"Tim, I am glad I was here. And that I helped. I will miss you. But I know you must go." She said with tears in her eyes.

"I will miss you, too. You have helped me so much. I'm not sure I can go back or do this without you." He said with tears also.

"Tim, you are stronger than you think. You can do this. Your team needs to heal. And you need to be apart of that. You can do this. If you need anything, I am just a phone call away." She said as she hugged him.

It was then that they kissed. It was like the kiss they had that first night and the night they had slept together.

"Tim, I don't want you do something you may regret." She said pulling back.

"I won't regret this. I just want to be with you tonight." He said kissing her again.

This time, she gave into the kiss. She wanted this too, but didn't want him to regret it. It wasn't like before. When he needed comfort and she was there. This was because they wanted to. They wanted to be with each other before he left.

The next morning, she took him to the airport to catch his plane to DC.

"I will miss you. Take care and call if you need anything." She said as they walked to the terminal.

"I will miss you, too. I hope to see you again. I want to stay in touch." He replied not sure what to say.

"Of course, we will stay in touch. You have my phone number, my address, and email address. Call or write me anytime." She said as she hugged him.

"Goodbye, Cate." He said as he kissed her.

"Goodbye, Tim." She replied as he walked toward the plane. She waved one more time and watched him disappear aboard the plane. And she whispered. "I love you."

She wondered if she would see him again or if their time together was meant to be short. She hoped she would see him again but she wasn't sure.

Would destiny have their paths cross? She knew she loved him but she wasn't sure he felt the same. She knew he was still healing from the loss of Ziva. The person he thought he would be with forever. And she didn't want to take her place, just to be the person he wanted now.

For that, she knew patience was virtue. And she would have to wait and see where destiny and faith took them from their chance meeting.