- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs discovers his team members are missing.
Gibbs knew something was off, ‘hinky’ as Abby would say, as soon as he entered the bullpen Monday morning. The most obvious thing was that DiNozzo was not there. 99.9% of the time, Tony beat Gibbs to work on Monday mornings. Tony always seemed energized from the weekend and was usually finishing up whatever he had left over from Friday.

By the time McGee and Kate had arrived Gibbs was pacing the bullpen like a caged animal. It was bad enough Tony was not there. But there was something else that was not right, something he could not put his finger on and it was driving him insane.

“McGee,” Gibbs said, after they had exchanged greetings. “…trace Tony’s cell.” He then turned to Kate and told her to check Tony’s cell and land line.”

Tim and Kate exchanged looks and then looked at Gibbs. He read their minds. “My Gut.” Gibbs answered simply.

“Phone must be off or he’s out of range.” McGee said, sighing. He could see Gibbs was very worried, and it scared him a little.

“Messages on both.” Kate stated, putting her office phone back on its cradle.

“Damn!” Gibbs said, slamming his coffee back onto his desk, mindless of the coffee that spilled out over his hand. “Go see, Abby. Work on getting me a location.”

“On it, Boss.” Tim said standing and making his way down to the lab.

“Keep trying those phones, Kate.” Gibbs barked as he plopped down in his chair.

Kate stared at him for a moment. She felt the same worry coming from Gibbs that Tim had and it concerned her greatly.

Tim returned to the bullpen minutes later, a confused look on his face. “Boss….”

Gibbs turned and looked at him. “That was quick. You barely had time to get down there.”

Tim shook his head. His gut was churning. “No Boss, I…When I got down there…Abby’s not in the lab.” McGee finally got out.

Gibbs just looked at him for a second, not grasping what McGee was saying.

“There’s no music, light’s off, door’s locked.” Tim said trying to process what he had seen. Abby is never…not here.”

The pieces all fell into place. That was what was ‘hinky’ besides Tony’s absence. Abby was never, ever, ever late for work. She was early, even if she was going to be a few minutes late, she called Gibbs to let him know. “Tim, GPS location. Kate, check her cell and land line.”

A few moments later, they both shook their heads, same results.

“Grab your gear.” Gibbs said and started toward the elevator.

Tim and Kate just looked at Gibbs, confused.

“If DiNozzo overslept, we will be visiting a crime scene, because I’m gonna kill him.” Gibbs stated as they all got on the elevator and descended to the parking garage.