- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The run up to when Snow White dies.
“So what are supposed to do at this fete?” Grumpy grumpily asked, because unknown to Snow White he had found some orange juice and had drunk, too many E’s.
“Well I thought you could maybe manage the beer tent with Happy. I know she loves mixing all those lovely drinks and colours. And you Doc I wondered if you could man the 1st Aid tent with Sneezy,” now looking at Sneezy who had stopped sneezing but then the hay had started him again, “Well maybe not, Sleepy do you think you could stay awake long enough to help? Dopey, I thought the tombola, and Bashful how would you like to be the one the girls kiss for a coin?”
“Ah gee, Snowy, could I?” he asked reddening and going all gooey.
“Right that’s settled then. Now what have we got to take for the stalls?”
“How should I know you have it all planned.” Grumpy grumped.
“Now Grumpy, no tantrums. I thought you had some wooden toys ready, and what have you done with the frog. I hate it when I can’t see him. No, take that back, I love not, seeing him. It’s the warts.”
“Rivit, rivet,” la Grenouille riveted jumping up and down, “I mean this is so riveting. I love fetes.”
“Oh brother.” Dopey whispered.
“I will honestly get rid of you frog, but thought you might just keep the flies at bay round the food.” Snow White said.
“Are we ready then, as she looked at her troops. They nodded, Grumpy and Dopey saluted, Sneezy sneezed. Snow White opened the door and they trooped out.
“Hi ho, Hi ho, “Happy sang, “Off to the fete we go.” skipping away in front.
“Oh brother.” Dopey muttered, as she watched Happy pick the frog up, and place in her pocket.
So off they trooped to the fete in the village. The village green had been turned into a huge fair ground. Large colourful marques scattered the green grass. A totem pole had been erected and had ribbons hanging from it. The children from the B+B were dancing round and round. Snow White saw Goldie and went to see what she was doing.
“I am doing the bring and buy, remember. What did you bring?” as she watched Snow White produce jams and bottles of pickles from her bag, “Have to say there are a couple of strange women over there. One is selling candy and the other handicrafts, you know earrings and things. Some of the stuff looks good, but I’m not sure about them. Definitely strangers.” Goldie offered.
“I’ll get Sharif to suss.” Snow White replied, as she watched a mother and child approach, with a basket of cakes.
“Now, Sarah.” The child’s mother said, handing the basket to Goldie.
“Not,” as Sarah stamped her foot and folded he arms, “Little Red Riding Hood.”
“Sorry, she just so loves her jacket, and since she has had this scare with the wolf… we are trying to get her counselling. She keeps going on about grandma and then bursting into tears.” Sarah’s mom answered.
“Snow White here, is very good at alternative therapies,” Goldie replied, “She cured Sneezy’s sneezing and Sleepy’s sleep.”
“But she won’t kiss me.” A voice from behind said. They looked down and saw the frog.
“Want mommy,” Sarah shouted, as she made a grab for the frog, who seeing the look in Sarah’s face hopped off to the duck pond, where it proceeded to sit on a huge water-lily, croaking.
“Man, are you ugly,” he heard a voice shout. He turned to see a scruffy duck treading water beside him.
“Hey you can talk,” the frog retorted, “I’m really a handsome Prince, turned into this shell of a creature by my wicked step-father. What’s your excuse?”
“Me, I’m a mallard duck, I’m moulting right now, but come the spring I’ll be beautiful colours. Which looking at you, green is sooooooo not you, and the warts. Ever thought, of having them frozen off.”
“Great mally, thanks for the encouragement. I’m just sooo fed up with this, and as for Happy over there, I think she should get something bigger than me, know of any hippos?”
“What you mean” mally asked, swimming round the leaf.
“She keeps squeezing me and making me croak. And as for Grumpy, he looks at me and licks his lips. I saw he had some garlic butter hidden.” The frog now replied.
They stopped talking long enough to see a small child come towards them crying, poking’ his nose. And without being, nasty I said poking not picking, so settle down in the back there, and stop the smirking.
“Hey son,” the duck asked, “What’s the matter? Looks like you got some real nasal problem there.” listening to the snuffling.
“Look buster, I’m crying, that’s why my nose is all bunged up, you want to be duck a l’orange.” the boy shouted.
“Son, you got a name, because your nose is so big due to you crying and snuffling, I think I’ll call you Hooter.” the duck replied.
“Pinocchio,” the boy replied.
“Ahh,” said the duck, “Pino, a variant of Joseph, and ch’io meaning pretty.”

“Nah mally… Pino as in thorny, Espiona or even Pine tree.” Frog replied.

“Ok, we’ll settle for a pretty pine tree. But yes son you are definitely wooden.” the duck swam away laughing.

The boy turned and went to find someone who could possibly help, or else the gun club to shoot the duck pond up. He was definitely part of the American Militia.

“You think we have a problem?” the frog asked.

“Don’t know.” as the duck dived for cover.
****
“So Snow White, what you think?" Goldie asked, holding up the long earrings.
“Nice, but I think this hair clasp is prettier. I don’t know, it will soon be Christmas, do they celebrate it here I wonder.” Snow White replied.
“Probably, we’ll get some presents anyway. But have you seen the sweets over there.” Goldie pointed over to where the old hag was selling sweetmeats.
“Oh just look at that fudge candy,” Snow White said, “It reminds me of when dad and I used to make. I must get some.”
As Snow White made her way over to the stall, she thought she saw an old face hide. No she thought I’m getting paranoid.
“Sweetmeats, my dear?” Fudge candy? Tablet, and rock?” as the woman indicated to the table.
“Oh I was looking at the fudge, it looks so soft.” Snow White replied.
“It is my dear. Here try a piece before you buy.” As she brought a plate from below the table and offered Snow White a piece.
As she placed it in her mouth it seemed to melt.
“Mmmm gorgeous,” she muttered, “Goldie try this.”
“No, try this one sand see what you think.” The woman offered, “If you both like, then you can buy and share.”
The two girls tried the fudge, and bought some of the bagged goodies. Snow White yawned.
“Sorry must be all this fresh air and the excitement.” She offered, stifling a yawn, “Still need to round the troops up and see how we are doing. Get them home. Oh I am so tired.”
****
The team made their way home. It had been a good day. The takings would be split between the local charities and some left over for big Christmas dinner for all to enjoy. There was word that the Dwarfs were going to help the Sharif, who was going to be Santa.
“This is stupid,” Grumpy had grumped, “I mean we’re Dwarfs not Elves.”
“If it makes the chidren happy, then we will do.” Doc had replied, “Are you well my dear?” he now asked of Snow White. “You have now gone decidedly pale.”
“I am just tired and so if you don’t mind, I will retire.” As she stretched, and yawned, and made her way to her bed.
“I’m worried,” Doc said, “She has not been herself since eating that fudge.”
****
Later that night when Happy and Dopey had made their way up to bed, they thought Snow White was sleeping quieter than usual. Happy leant over to touch her skin. The scream brought the boys hurrying to the room.
“She’s dead, Snow White is dead.” Happy wailed, turnrd and sobbed into Grumpy’s shoulder.
Doc leant over and listened.
“Mirror?” he asked of the others.
“It went to join Harry Potter remember.” Dopey replied, “But I have my own.” handing Doc her compact.

Doc opened and placed it over Snow Whites nose. A very slight moisture appeared.

“She’s not dead. But she appears to be in a coma. I think we need to get the Sharif.”