- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Kate has some very important news, but doesn't know how to tell Gibbs.
Kate was down in Abby’s lab. She had some very important to tell Gibbs but she didn’t know how, so she was investing in her best friends advice.
“ Kate you’ve been married to the guy for 6 months and you can’t figure out how you are going to tell him you’re pregnant”. Kate just shrugged her shoulders.
“ Well it’s a big thing. We have only been married for 6 months and already we are going to be expecting our first child. That’s hardly enough time to enjoy our married life” she explained. Abby sighed. She could understand where Kate was coming from but she was being silly.
“Kate, just tell him. He will be over the moon. He loves kids, you should know that”.
“ I know, but what about Kelly?” she asked. The fact he had a daughter already was making her decision to tell him even harder.
“ Kate, don’t do this to yourself. Kelly will always be a part of him, but you the here and now. Tell him” she always knew the right things to say, especially when it came to be about Gibbs.
“ Ok, ok I’ll tell him” she gave in. She started to head out of the lab when Abby called back.
“ Today”. Kate nodded.
“ Yes today. Can I go now?”. Abby smiled.
“ You’re free to go”.
Kate exited the elevator and saw everyone at their desks. She took a deep breath before entering the squad room. She stopped in front of Gibbs’ desk.
“ We need to talk” she announced.
“ Now?” he asked not looking up from his paperwork.
“ Yes now”. Gibbs finally looked up at her.
“ Can it wait?”. Kate shook her head.
“ No not really”. He gave a sigh.
“ Fine”. Kate turned and headed for the elevator. Gibbs followed her. They waited in silence until the doors opened. Kate quickly stepped inside, Gibbs followed her in. As soon as the doors were closed Gibbs hit the emergency switch.
“ Ok, so what is so important that couldn’t wait until we got him” he demanded. She didn’t look at him.
“ I’m pregnant”. Gibbs was stunned at what he just heard.
“ You’re what?”. She finally looked at him. He wasn’t yelling at her so he wasn’t angry, though she didn’t really think he would be angry at her.
“ I’m pregnant Jethro. We’re going to have a baby” she said with a soft smile starting on her face.
When…when did you” he stuttered, still trying to come to terms with what he was hearing.
“ 3 days ago. I didn’t know how to tell you” she told him, a bit embarrassed. He let out a little laugh.
“ So you chose the work elevator”.
“ It’s that or in the middle of the squad room. So are you happy about this?” she finally asked him. She saw the smiled spread across his face as he stepped closer to her and wrapped her in his arms.
“ Of course I’m happy. My gorgeous wife is having my child. Why wouldn’t I be happy?” he said then kissed the top of her head.
“ I don’t know. I guess I thought after Kelly you wouldn’t want any more children. I’m sorry I” she started.
“ Don’t be”.
“ Jethro I”. He pulled away from her and looked down into his eyes.
“ I know. It’s ok” he said in a soothing tone.
“ You know what we have to do now?” she asked with a smile. Gibbs nodded.
“ Tell your family”.
“ Yep”. Gibbs turned around and hit the emergency switch, making the elevator jump back into life.
“ Well, good luck with that” he said with a laugh then stepped out of the elevator as soon as the doors opened. Kate stepped off after him.
“ Agent Gibbs, I am not doing this alone. You helped create it so you can help tell them” he called as she stormed into the squad room. She was met with very confused looks from Tony and McGee
“ Tell who what?” Tony asked. He looked between Gibbs and Kate.
“ Mind your own business Tony” Kate told him. But being Tony he couldn’t let anything go.
“ Well you just told me you and the boss created…oh my god, are you for real?” he asked getting excited. He stood up from his desk. McGee was still confused. He hadn’t connected the dots.
“ What’s going on?”. Tony’s grin widened.
“ The Gibbs’ are having a baby” he said happily. Gibbs looked over at Kate. He wanted to tell them just not like this.
“ Wow congratulations guys” McGee said as he stood from his desk so they could see the happy smile on his face. Kate sighed and a smile appeared on her face.
“ Thanks McGee, but as we haven’t even told my family yet, so just keep it to yourselves” Kate told them. They both nodded.
“ Sure thing”. Kate turned to Gibbs and pointed to his phone. Gibbs sighed and sank down into his seat as Kate came around to his desk and dialled her mother’s phone number.
“ Hello?”.
“ Mum, it’s me. Me and Jethro have some news”.

It was almost home time. Gibbs was down in the lab with Abby, probably discussing baby names. McGee had left early for his sister’s graduation ceremony. Kate was at her desk staking her finished files. Tony was still typing away at his computer, when a thought popped into his head. He stopped what he was doing and looked over at Kate.
“ Kate?” he asked. Kate looked over at him.
“ Yes Tony”.
“ How is he?”. Kate looked around confused.
“ Who?”. Tony smiled.
“ Gibbs”. Kate simply shrugged as she gathered all her belongings.
“ Why don’t you ask him yourself”.
“ Well you’re the one he got pregnant”. Kate thought about what he just said.
“ Tony I am not discussing our sex life with you”. Tony stood up and leaned on his desk.
“ Oh come on Kate”, he begged. Kate let out a little laugh.
“ I don’t know what’s more disturbing, the fact that you want to know or that I have the urge to tell you”.
“ Just tell me”. Kate made her way over to his desk.
“ Why do you want to know so bad?” she asked suspiciously. Tony stood up straight and crossed his arms over his chest.
“ Because you couldn’t if married him for his personality”.
“ I’m sorry to disappoint you but that is one of the main reasons I married him” she said with a big smile.
“ So are you saying that he isn’t any good I bed?”. Tony watched her reaction. Kate laughed.
“ God no. The best” she said. Tony’s eyes widened.
“ Really?”.
“ Really, but if you repeat that I will hunt you down and kill you” she whispered.
“ Understood” he said with a nod then sat back down as he saw Gibbs enter. He came up behind Kate and placed a hand of the small of her back.
“ Ready?”.
“ Yep. Goodnight Tony” Kate said as they left.
“ Night”. Tony watched them leave. He wondered how an older man like Gibbs could honestly be the best Kate has had. He shrugged it off and went back to his reports.