- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs and the team are led to Silverwater.What Kate finds out she never expected.
Kate, Gibbs and McGee walk towards Janet Lacombe’s house. Gibbs turns to Kate.
“ Check with DiNozzo see how Lacombe’s doing”. Kate nods her head and grabs her phone. No signal. She walks to the other side of the driveway. No signal.
“ Damn thing” she says under her breath.
“ I’m afraid you’re not going to have much luck. Occasionally when the wind is right you can get a signal”. Kate turns to see an older man standing behind her. He has a sweet smile, white hair, blue eyes and a walking cane in one hand. Kate smiles
“ Thank you. Is there a public phone around here I could use?” she asks looking down the street.
“ There’s one at my store. My names Jackson” he replies.
“ Kate” .
“ Well Kate it looks like you dropped something”. Kate looks down and slowly bends down to pick it up. She has been told no strenuous activities. She stops when Jackson puts his cane on top of the 20 dollar bill.
“ Uh, uh oh. Kind of tells a story done it. 20 dollar bill in your wallet is just a piece of paper, you put it on the ground and suddenly it’s full of wonder.”
“ Context can change a thing”. She picks up the bill.
“ That it can. If the I in NCIS is to be believed your observant enough to realise this all of this is a pretext for engaging a young woman in a conversation”. Kate smiled at him. She goes to say something but Gibbs and McGee walk up to her. She notices the look in Gibbs’ eyes. He is starring at the old man.
“ Word travels fast”.
“ That it does. When people actually open their mouths and speak with one another. You don’t call, you don’t write. Were you gunna come by and say hi?”. Kate looks from Gibbs to Jackson confused. Did the know each other?
“ Hi, Jack” Gibbs finally says.
“ Hi Leroy” Jackson replies.
‘Leroy? No body calls him Leroy’ Kate thought. She shifted her weight from one foot to the other. There was something going on here and she couldn’t put her finger on it. Was this Shannon’s father, his father in-law.
“ Kate, McGee. Jackson Gibbs. My father”. Kate froze. She stood there just staring at Gibbs, then at Jackson. Gibbs was trying his best to avoid Kate’s eyes. He knew she would be disappointed in him for not telling her the truth.
“ Kate, McGee take the car back and get in contact with Abby and DiNozzo” Gibbs ordered still not looking at Kate. Kate finally got over the shock and started to move towards Gibbs. She stopped in front of him, snatched the keys from him.
“ We need to talk” she said in a hushed voice, then stormed back to the car. McGee gave a smile to Jackson before going after Kate. Gibbs started to walk back to his shop with his dad.
“ Kate seems like a nice woman. You obviously piss her off” Jackson said with a little laugh.
“ That would be because she didn’t knew you existed” Gibbs explained. Jackson stopped and turned to face her son, a confused expression on his face.
“ Why would that bother her?”. Gibbs took a breath.
“ Special Agent Caitlin Gibbs. 6 months ago” Gibbs told him. Gibbs didn’t like having this type of conversation with his father, hell he hated having any kind of conversation with his father.
“ I see. I guess my congratulations is a bit late” Jackson said as he started walking again. Gibbs shook his head. It was going to be a very long couple of days.

That night Kate entered the bedroom and couldn’t contain herself anymore.
“ Thought you said you parents were both dead?” she asked, raising her voice a little.
“ Well to me he was” he said ripping his t-shirt off.
“ Your mum isn’t going to show up as well?”. Kate knew as soon as it came out of her mouth that she regretted saying it but it was how she felt.
“ Kate” he warned.
“ Sorry, but I didn’t expect to run into your father alive and well. Have you even told him your re-married?” she asked. He looked up at her.
“ I already did”.
“ What about the fact that we have a baby on the way?” she asked. She felt horrible for Jackson missing their wedding and she would feel even more terrible if he wasn’t even told about his second grandchild.
“ I don’t know” Gibbs shook his head. He didn’t even want to be here.
“ He deserves to know Jethro. You didn’t invite him to our wedding and it would just be cruel for him to not know about his second grandchild” she explained to him. She could have sworn she saw him wince a little bit at the sound of ‘second grandchild’. He didn’t say anything. Kate made her way across the small room to him and pulled him down to the bed next to her.
“ Look, I’m sorry this case sent us here, I’m sorry I got to meet your father, but I am not sorry that we are having this child. I understand that being back here is bringing up a lot of memories, but could you think of your father, just this once? I don’t know what happened between you two and if you don’t want me to know that is ok with me. But now that I know I have a father-in-law he is going to be in our lives, even if you don’t like it”. Gibbs just nodded. There was no way he was going to win this argument, not matter what he said.
“ Kate, you care just a little too much” he finally said, a small smile on his face. Kate ran a hand up to his hair and then to his face.
“ Please tell him or do you want me to do it?” she asked. She saw the hurt in his eyes and took that as his answer.
“ Ok” she said then gave him a gentle kiss.
“ Once we are done with this case” he told her. She smiled.
“ As always” then she kissed him again as his hand rested on her stomach.

It was time to leave and everyone was saying their goodbyes. Abby had claimed the front and there now only being one car. She had already said her goodbyes and was waiting for the rest of the team.
Kate and McGee were putting the stuff in the boot when Tony, Jackson and Gibbs came out of the shop.
“ It was so nice to meet you” Kate said giving Jackson a friendly good bye hug.
“ Pleasure was all mine. Now you keep a careful on him” Jackson said pointing a finger at Gibbs.
“ I always do” Kate said with a smile. Then it was Tony’s turn. Of course wasting every ones time with silly questions.
“ Sorry son, I didn’t teach him much of anything” Jackson said answering Tony’s question.
“ He taught me to drive” Gibbs said grabbing the keys from Tony’s hand. Tony started babbling out back seat middle hump when Jackson handed Gibbs his keys.
“ Give us a call sometime” Jackson said as Tony went off to the car. Kate was still standing by, making sure they got a proper father-son goodbye.
“ It’s the least I could do” Gibbs replied. A smile grew across Kate’s face as she heard her husband’s words. She felt so proud of him.
“ Goodbye son”. Gibbs was the first to move. He wrapped his arms around his father.
“ Bye dad”. Kate so overwhelmed. She couldn’t help but let a tear fall down her face.
‘ Stupid hormones’ she thought as she wiped it away before anyone could notice. Gibbs let go of his father then turned to Kate and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek.
“ See you at home” he whispered then went and headed for the car. Kate turned back to Jackson.
“ Jackson, just before I go. There is something I’ve been meaning to tell you” Kate said.
“ Come on Kate” Tony yelled at Kate. Kate turned around.
“ Hold on” she yelled back, then turned to face Jackson.
“ What is it?” he asked. Kate smiled.
“ Well, Jethro wanted me to tell you that we’re having a baby” Kate told him. She watched as his face lit up.
“ That’s wonderful” he said and hugged her again.
“ I wanted you to know”.
“ Leroy?” he asked.
“ Was hesitant. I’ll make sure we keep in touch” Kate told him and made her way to the car. Tony was waiting out of the car. Kate went to the door behind the driver’s seat.
“ You just made an old man very happy” Tony said as he looked over at Jackson. Kate looked back and gave a small smile then waved.
“ It wasn’t just me” she said thinking back of the hug he and Gibbs just shared not too long ago.
Chapter End Notes:
This is just a quick take on what i thought might have happened, continuing on from my previous chapters.
If Kate had still been alive,wouldnt exactly happened like this.
hope you enjoy.