- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Derek’s words brooked no argument. He slapped a light onto the top of his truck and sped off in silent fury, determining the siren would bring more attention than he wanted at that point.
~

When they made it to bed, Spenser immediately crawled on his hands and knees, coming to a stop in the middle of the California king and dropping his head low to rest on his arms. Derek was so aroused at the sight and everything that came before that he didn’t last long. Neither of them minded since they were both tired. When it was over, Derek didn’t pull out; he spooned against Spenser, snuggling into him and pulling the bed sheets to cover them both. Spenser, who was half asleep, still murmured urgent questions that made Morgan smile. He was constantly amazed at his lover’s mind which, apparently never switched off, even when the young genius fell asleep. The only words Morgan caught were ‘breakfast’ and ‘Tony too?’ but he was used to the meaningless ramblings so he just kissed Spenser neck and ears and shoulders then squeezed him tight, adding positive, slow murmurs of “Mmmmhmmm,” just to acknowledge he knew Spenser was babbling. But the gibberish didn’t stop even though Spenser looked as though he were sleeping. When Spenser began to absently shake his leg, Derek realized Spenser’s brain was nowhere near as exhausted as his body was. With a sharp slap to Spenser’s thigh, Derek demanded he calm down. “Sleep,” Derek grumbled, tangling their legs together. Spenser stretched, protesting his entrapment as he turned and shifted, almost dislodging their connection until he lay on his back with his face buried in Derek’s warm neck.

Derek woke first, but didn’t move from the sticky union until Spenser stirred 30 minutes later. He pulled them into the shower immediately so that a few minutes later, Spenser was still drowsy and happily fell back into the surprisingly clean bed. Derek followed, cuddling his lover for warmth. “Are we going to play with Tony again today?” Spenser asked, blowing warm air against Derek’s chest as he whispered his question.

“Do you want to?”

“It was hot… but I’m not sure.”

“What didn’t you like?” Derek could tell something was bothering Spenser. He titled the younger man’s chin up so they were eye to eye then Derek smiled. Spenser buried his head against Derek’s chest again, but that was alright as long as he knew he could be honest, Derek thought.

“I liked seeing him, touching him, listening to him come like that. I like Tony; he’s sexy…”

“But? “

“But I didn’t like seeing you touch him. I don’t like knowing that you touch him like that when I’m not around. I never knew I was that possessive.” Spenser blushed, surprised at the passionate kiss Derek stole from him.

“I like it when you’re jealous, baby,” he assured. “We’ll talk to Tony and see what we can work out, but I think we’ve done our duty; he can wait for Gibbs to come back.” Morgan spent the next hour comforting Spenser who wrapped himself around Derek and refused to let him go.

In the morning, Morgan busied himself while both boys were still asleep. He cleaned the curious toy he’d confiscated the night before and quickly put it away after he began to get aroused by memories of their threesome. Morgan thought about how long it took to get Reid to accept his affections and was amazed at how much progress they’d made. Two years ago, he was still struggling to hold hands and get Reid to relax when he hugged him. Reid was never comfortable with being touched but Morgan knew it was due to his singular upbringing. It took almost a year of courting before Derek kissed Spenser and it was several months later before Spenser was comfortable enough to take his clothes off and have sex. Derek laughed at the memories of kissing and grinding against his lover, fully clothed. It had been years since Derek Morgan came in his pants, but he couldn’t count how many times he lost himself in the smell and feel of Spenser Reid moaning and babbling in passionate surrender. It was nothing short of a miracle that Spenser had taken part in a threesome and Derek knew that if Spenser was feeling uncomfortable that was more than enough reason to pull back. He wouldn’t risk the progress they’d made for anything, not even his closest friend.

The smell of bacon woke Tony first and something in the way he moved made Derek pause and watch him furtively. Tony didn’t liked being babied, even when he needed it. The only time Tony responded well to such attention was when Tony was ordered by someone and it was a rare man who could give Anthony DiNozzo and order the agent would actually obey. Derek took a deep breath.

“Good morning, Tony. Sit,” he ordered in a voice that brooked no disobedience.

“Derek. What’s for breakfast?” Tony beamed, doing as he was told without even acknowledging the command.

“Bacon and eggs, grits and we also have grapefruit and yogurt,” he answered, dishing up all of the choices for Tony along with juice and water. “Drink the water first and don’t put too much sugar on those grits. Really Tony, you’re the only person I know who eats sugar on grits.”

“I’m the only person you know who eats grits outside of the deep south,” Tony quipped, stirring the creamy, sugary concoction.

“That settles it then; no juice this morning. Water.” Derek announced, putting the carton of orange juice back in the refrigerator. Tony ravenously devoured the breakfast, even eating the few slices of grapefruit garnishing his plate.

Spenser got up much later with shower wet hair dampening his t-shirt. He wore a pair of ripped, worn jeans and a pensive glare that made him look like an A&F model. Tony’s babbling stuttered to a halt when the young man sauntered in, murmuring a ‘good morning’ to no one in particular then snagging the last piece of bacon from the table just before Tony.

“Why, good morning, Dr. Reid. We thought you’d never join us,” Tony’s eyes said so much more than his words, but Derek knew Tony flirted out of habit not, he told himself, because he’d just realized how sexy a freshly showered Spenser Reid could be. Spenser paused giving a blank stare and looking Tony in the eye, wondering if he was making some crack about the previous night.

“Calm down, babe. Tony’s just realizing how hot you are; he’s in shock,” Derrick laughed, pulling Spenser by the shirt until the younger man bent down to share a perfunctory kiss. “Is that all I get?”

“For now,” Spenser answered seriously, but it still made Morgan smile as he watched his lover pick up his glass of orange juice and disappear into the kitchen with the pillaged breakfast. Tony was smiling and Spenser, Derek knew, was in a good mood, even if most people wouldn’t have recognized the playfulness. Tony saw it though, and it made him feel comfortable. It reminded him of the team and he had to suddenly push down a swell of emotion at the thought of how much he missed them, especially his team leader. Still, Tony was determined to stay hidden as long as he could. He had no plans to speak to Gibbs before the man returned home but he still hoped Gibbs was trying to reach him.

The weekend was mostly uneventful. By Monday Tony, felt much bigger than when he last saw Gibbs four days ago, and was feeling the added weight in his back and his feet and he swore his hips were painfully stretching. He mostly reclined in front of the TV or napped after forced walks through the neighborhood for miscellaneous items he knew his hosts didn’t need. The only walk he readily agreed to was the one for ice cream and he even fought that walk in the beginning.

“C’mon, DiNozzo. You told me yourself you were supposed to stretch your muscles several times a day and with the drastic changes your body is going through, a nice walk is just what you need,” Derrick said, grabbing a light jacket and throwing it on Tony’s lap as he knelt in front of the pregnant man. Spenser smiled from several feet away, already donning a sweater thrown to him by his boyfriend. He was surprised how much he enjoyed seeing another man ordered around by Morgan. For Spenser, a speechless Tony, gaping in terror as Derrick secured and tied his shoes, was truly amusing. Spenser wondered if he looked as frustrated and childish when Derrick wouldn’t let him have his way.

“I don’t want to, D! I’m tired and my body hurts and-“

“And it’s gonna hurt a lot worse if you sit around and let it get stiff, Tony. Ready?” Derrick asked, grabbing Tony’s hands before pulling him from the couch. Tony didn’t respond, but he did stand up.

“I’m hungry.” Tony complained, slowly moving toward the door behind the two men.

“We should walk to Lulabelle’s. Have you been to that ice cream parlor, Tony?” Spenser asked.

“Ice cream? Yeah, I could go for some ice cream!”

Once they were walking, Tony was bubbling with excited energy. His talk was animated and he seemed to take a special interest in making Spenser laugh. At Lulabelle’s, Tony insisted the parlor was too cold, so he walked down the street with his waffle cone filled with a scoop of something green and another scoop of something chocolate with marshmallows. Spenser had a malt and Morgan carried a bottle of water as they headed toward home. Just then, a dark blur caught Tony’s eye.

“I knew it!”

“What, Tony?”

“That black van has been following me all week, Morgan. It’s like I’ve got lojack, man!” Morgan looked at his friend and could see Tony wasn’t just paranoid.

“When was the first time you saw it?”

“Tuesday, I think. I was at the navy yard on a lunch run but I’m sure I saw it before then,” Tony explained, relieved that someone was taking him seriously. The van had already rounded the corner but Morgan wasn’t concerned.

“I might know who that is, actually,” he smiled as they walked through the park.

~

Jethro growled across the phone line but Ducky was unimpressed. “Well, did you call, Jethro?”

“Of course I called! I’ve been calling all weekend at my place and Tony’s apartment.”

“Perhaps if you had called earlier-“

“If I wanted a lecture, I would’ve called Abby, Ducky. Abby already checked his apartment. I need you to stop by my house when you leave. Just let me know if he’s there, Duck,” Gibbs said in a voice filled with remorse.

“Of course, Jethro. The most important thing is that we find young Anthony. I was getting concerned when he didn’t answer my calls, but I didn’t know nobody had been in touch with him.”

“Abby says she saw him Saturday morning when she picked up Jethro. He’s probably using an alias at some swanky hotel but I want him found!” Gibbs was back to barking. Ducky, who’d known his gruff friend long enough to ignore his moods, could tell Gibbs was worried. He even knew the reason Jethro hadn’t called Tony to begin with. For Jethro, it was agony listening to Tony over the phone. He needed to hold Tony and tell him everything would be alright and he couldn’t do that from a thousand miles away.

“And Timothy has no leads?”

“He confirms that Tony’s credit cards haven’t been used and that his cell phone is turned off and was last used at my house.”

“Well, not much to go on. I’ll let you know if I find anything, but I wouldn’t worry Jethro; I imagine Tony was rather peeved with your initial reluctance to speak with him. He’s likely punishing you. Hurry back and he’s sure to show up,” Ducky suggested.

“Just a couple of loose ends, Ducky.” Jethro explained briefly before hanging up.

~

“Well?” Tony demanded, marching into the kitchen and heading for the refrigerator. “Who was in the van?” He pulled out a Pepsi pointing it at Derek who immediately replaced it with a bottle of water. Spenser looked at the can of soda in his hands, confused about how it got there. He returned it to the refrigerator and leaned back on the counter, waiting to see how this would play out. Tony, who was easily the most persistent person Spenser had met, had just started his friendly interrogation and Spenser wondered how quickly Derek would give in. Spenser wondered who would be following Tony and why Derek wouldn’t want Tony to know about them. “…and I’m about to give birth to twins while you let some van of wierdos stalk me,” Tony ranted. Spenser squinted like he had a headache, starring at Tony then Derek. He was relieved to see his man sit down and sigh, apparently giving in.

“Sit, Tony,” Derek said, pulling out a chair at the table for Tony before sitting himself. “I was hoping to get you to accept that you’re safe, but I see that’s not gonna work. It’s Ford’s team, Tony.”

“You mean Nathan Ford? Eliot’s boss?”

“I don’t think Eliot would’ve called him his boss, but yeah, kid. I didn’t want to bring it up because I know we just lost Eliot. Tony, I hate that Gibbs is making you miserable, but I know you’ve got to be feeling horrible about Eliot right now and, if Gibbs distracts you from some of that pain, that’s a good thing. That’s why I didn’t want to bring up Eliot’s team, but they do drive a black van like the one we saw today.”

“Why follow me?” Tony whispered almost to himself. “Do you think Eliot made it? He’s just laying low and watching me to make sure I’m okay? That sounds like him.” Morgan watched Tony in pain, wondering if Tony actually believed Eliot was still alive and how he could break his friend’s heart again.

“No, Tony. Eliot is dead. Garcia found footage from a security camera and its just like you said; he was hit and he fell into the Potomac. He didn’t swim to safety with a torso full of bullet wounds, Tony. He probably just told his friends to take care of you. Either that or they tracked down the mysterious friend he visited just before he was killed. Probably the latter. You know, I met them once or twice,” Morgan said, ignoring the pensive state Tony was slipping into.

“What were they like?” Tony murmured, wanting to know more about Eliot’s life.

“Quirky criminals turned good guys- morally anyway. They still run cons for a living. Nathan use to work in insurance- middle aged Irish guy who really like his whiskey. Sofie is a beautiful…woman. I’m not really sure where she’s from but I think she’s European; her accent usually is anyway. The youngest is a beautiful, blond thief with magic fingers and the other guy is this brother I hear the CIA has been trying to hire for the past ten years to crack a few foreign codes, if you know what I mean,” Morgan finished rambling, hoping to keep Tony entertained. “He talks a mile a minute, but Garcia says he’s a legendary hacker which is high praise coming from the queen.” Morgan went on, hoping Tony would just listen and stop convincing himself the Eliot was still alive.

“McGee would kill him,” Tony smiled a little, trying to play along but thinking about how nervous he’d been the past couple of weeks. But why follow me before Eliot was killed?”

“Who knows? Could be Eliot was watching you before he paid you that last visit, Tony. The good thing is you’re in no danger if that’s who’s on your tail. You’d like them- especially Sophie and Parker: classy brunette and a sexy little blonde adrenaline junkie. You should see this girl, she’s deceptively cute with bangs and a ponytail until she steals your wallet and your pinkie ring all while silently flirting with you.” Morgan kept talking to keep Tony’s mind off his sadness, but the description brought back the utility worker and his blond partner. Then there was the camera-girl with the long legs and the ponytail.

“This hacker,” Tony interrupted Morgan’s monologue, “Tall guy? Dark and lanky? Likes to rant a lot?”

“Sounds like you know him,” Morgan smiled but Tony didn’t respond. He was too busy thinking about how he’d knock the guy out the next time he saw that black van.

“Nah. Just thought I caught a glimpse of him. I think I’m going to take a nap,” Tony said, rising slowly and pushing away from the table.

“Alright, Tonyboy. We’ll get you when it’s time for dinner.” Derek said. Spenser just stood there silently, wondering if he should weigh in on this matter.

“He’s hiding something, Derek.”

“Yeah. But Tony’s always hiding something. He’ll be fine once he sleeps off his mood.” Derek voice was confident. He took out his phone and winked at a calculating Spenser. Holding his hand out to his lover, Derek suddenly pulled Spenser into his arms as his call was answered. “Hey Beautiful. I need your gifted mind. A number. Alec Hardison. I know you have some hacker code, but this is important, baby girl. You know I wouldn’t ask you if it wasn’t. I know but we have a mutual friend; he’ll talk to me.” It wasn’t too hard for Morgan to convince Garcia. After all, she trusted him with her life and knew he’d never lie to her. Once Morgan had the number he placed the call, moving into his bedroom so Tony wouldn’t hear.

“Who the hell is this?”

“SSA Derek Morgan. Why are you stalking Anthony DiNozzo, Hardison?”

“Hold up Supervisory Special Agent Morgan. You know I wouldn’t do anything illegal, man. I’m just honoring our boy’s last wishes to hook his man up. Honest! We’re pimping his house as we speak.”

“You’re the ones doing the remodel?”

“Did you really think someone named Leroy Jethro Gibbs entered a Better Homes and Gardens remodeling sweepstakes? C’mon man-”

“Where were you an hour ago?” Derek demanded in a voice that was all business. His hands however, were all about playing with Spenser as he rubbed the younger man’s back, resting on his butt like a promise of what was to come. He watched as Spenser mouthed his name, but paid his lover little attention.

“Right here, man! That’s what I’m telling you; Sophie has us carrying furniture and going back out to gets supplies like we didn’t hire guys to do that. I mean, I’m the tech guy, not manual labor. She got me carrying paint man which worries me ‘cause I ain’t no painter. She even made me pick out the nursery border. We’ve got to get this finished today because the furniture comes tomorrow and everything else has to be done.”

“So you haven’t been in Manassas?” His hands stilled and Spenser pulled away and left the room but Morgan was too busy putting the story together. As usual, Reid was way ahead of him.

“Morgan! Tony’s gone!” Reid grabbed his gun from the drawer where he always stashed it and walked out of the condo, knowing Morgan was right behind him.

“Hardison said he spotted a tail when they were following Tony last week. Now there’s a van identical to his following Tony. That’s no coincidence.” Morgan walked out of the bedroom hanging up and looking for Spenser. When he spotted then younger man, he was buckling his holster and heading for the door. “Hey! What’s going on?”

“Tony is gone. And so are your car keys, Derek.” Spenser looked up, wondering what was taking his man so long to move. They both ran out the door, quickly taking the stairs to Derek’s parking unit where he found it wide open and empty with the exception of the crème colored Vespa Derek gave his sister last year when she visited for her birthday.

“He can’t be far away,” Reid insisted logically, handing the keys and a helmet to Morgan and taking his seat on the little machine. With a sigh, Morgan took off, hoping they’d be able to catch DiNozzo before he found his stalkers.

~

“We’ve got a detour.”

“Sophie’ll be mad. Let’s just get the paint and get back already. I hate this domestic job. There’s no danger, no fun, Hardison! When can we work a regular job?”

“You want danger? When I was following Agent DiNozzo with Eliot, we had a tail which eventually caught up with Eliot and probably killed him. I’ll bet anything it was Moreau. Now, these same people are still following Eliot’s boy- actually, it seems like Agent DiNozzo is chasing them as we speak.”

“Pregnant man chasing dangerous mercenaries… that definitely trumps Lowe’s,” Parker decided, getting behind this new plan one hundred percent.

“Good. You drive while I track down the vehicle.” Minutes later, Hardison spotted Derek Morgan’s black Range rover and was less than a mile away from the speeding vehicle. “There it is, Parker.”

“Where?”

“About to make a ridiculously wide right turn into that Publix parking lot. They watched as the lumbering truck bounced over speed bumps and crossed the parking lot to overtake the van turning at the corner ahead of them. Parker zipped through traffic, zooming across the lot. She narrowly missed an elderly man creeping towards his ’87 Cadillac, but the scooter zipping around her was worrying her the most.

“Why won’t these freaks move? Can’t they see I’m trying to get somewhere?”

“That’s…OMG, that’s Supervisory Special Agent Derek Morgan. Parker, don’t hit that man,” Hardison hollered with fear in his voice that made Parker smirk and slam her foot on the gas pedal. They made it to the far end of the parking lot at the same time Tony was rolling himself out of the truck. He had pulled into right lane behind the van then swooped up on the left, steering the cargo van onto the sidewalk. They ended up in the shopping center parking lot with Tony’s truck blocking the cargo van.

Before Tony could amble out, the men who had been following him jumped out, seizing the opportunity to snatch their new subject. Asle, their leader, was a handsome Swede of average height and build who’d been trying to prove his worth since before Eliot Spenser left the business. He didn’t understand how Damien Moreau couldn’t see his potential. The fact of the matter was that Asle Nordquist wasn’t very smart and couldn’t compare to Eliot Spenser in any way. He had no skill in leading men which Moreau quickly learned after Eliot left his employ. Since then Asle had been demoted to special projects coordinator, but he was smart enough to realize his job was becoming less ‘special’ to his boss. Asle blamed Eliot for his downward spiral and expected that once Eliot was out of the picture, things would start looking up for him. He didn’t understand why Moreau wouldn’t take his calls; now that Eliot was gone, Moreau was supposed to give him his job back and stop waiting around for Eliot to return. Asle was savvy enough to realize that his boss was infatuated with the ex-head of security and Asle even assumed there was a relationship now that he knew Spenser was involved with the freak he’d been following for the last two weeks. He hissed in anger at the thought of the diminutive Spenser kissing his devastatingly handsome boss. It wasn’t fair: he was obviously more handsome than Spenser and he could do whatever Spenser did and more. And he wasn’t squeamish about guns. Asle laughed thinking about Eliot’s sudden aversion to guns and killing. He smiled to think about how much he knew Moreau would want Eliot’s fat friend, considering all the crazy stuff Moreau had been into lately. He fantasized about the moment he would call Moreau with something the mogul really wanted and Moreau would order him back to HQ and all would be forgiven and restored. Nothing was going to get in the way of his perfect ending and this is what he told himself as he jumped out of the van before his two lackeys to apprehend the wobbling federal agent in broad daylight. “Open the back!” Asle ordered, pulling out his gun and charging forward.

“Is he crazy? Hundreds of people are watching and this guy’s a cop.” One man looked at the other who silently sat behind the wheel, wondering if Asle was, in fact, insane. If Asle had been a better leader, he would have instilled in his men trust so they wouldn’t question his orders. He might have even explained how their boss had some experiment with pregnant men and this was an escaped specimen- anything to get them to follow his lead in the mad capture of the federal agent. When a scooter and another truck pulled up and someone shouted FBI, Asle’s men stayed in the van, wondering if they could just pull off and tell Moreau that Asle was captured by the feds.

When the first shot was fired, the men in the van reversed and took off with Asle jumping back into the passenger seat just in time. They swerved behind the shopping center, hoping to avoid the gridlocked traffic on the street closest to them. They drove behind rows of loading docks until they made it to the other side of the center where an 18 wheeler blocked their escape. The van screeched to a halt. “Move it!” Asle screamed, followed by odd, foreign sounding curses that had the driver and the man in the back stifling laughs. “Shut up!” Asle demanded, hating the imbeciles he had to work with. “What’s that noise, assholes?”

~

When Tony climbed out of the truck, he was greeted by some Nordic looking guy he had the urge to call Sven. “Where’s the funny black guy and the blond chic? You work with them too? You guys have some nerve-“ his rant faltered when he noticed the gun.

“Come with me, you fat fuck,” Asle grinned and Tony knew something was wrong, but he kept his cool and raised his hands.

“So you’re not part of Eliot’s crew-“

“Fuck Eliot. He’s dead at the bottom of the river and once Damien finishes with you, you will be too,” he seemed oddly ecstatic as he inched toward Tony, obviously planning on grabbing the pregnant man. Rookie mistake, Tony thought, waiting for the best moment to turn the tables. Just then he heard Morgan identify himself somewhere behind him and another vehicle rolled up.

“Shit!” Tony groaned, hoping the FBI wasn’t officially involved; Gibbs would kill him. The blonde man with the gun stopped, training it on something over Tony’s shoulder. When Tony went for his own gun, Asle shot at him and ran off once his getaway vehicle began to move again.

“Stop him, Reid!” Derek demanded, attending to Tony who was cursing and leaning against the Range rover like he might fall down. Several shots rang out, but Derek hardly noticed. “Where you hit, Tonyboy? I’ll have EMT here in no time-”

“No, Derek. I’m okay,” Tony insisted.

“You are not okay, Tony. You’re shot. And pregnant; you’re going to the hospital.”

“I can’t. It’s too public and besides, it went straight through,” Tony grimaced as he turned to point to the bullet lodged in the passenger side door. “Call my doctor. Better yet, let’s just go to his house,” Tony said, tossing Derek the keys and climbing in the backseat with a lot of help from his friend. Spenser climbed in the front as Derek started up the car and tried to yell at Hardison who was already speeding away from the scene. The cargo van filled with Moreau’s men made its getaway, detouring around the back side of the mall.

“I shot three of the tires so they can’t get very far- especially in this traffic. We should call it in and have someone pick them up,” Spenser said just before he heard the boom and saw the billowing smoke rising from behind the strip mall.

“What the…?” Tony groaned when he tried to twist and turn to see the explosion.

“I’m pretty sure I didn’t do that,” Spenser said absently.

“Do what? I didn’t hear anything and neither did you two. Now, we’re gonna get Tony taken care of and we’ll deal with this later,” he said, driving off and calling Garcia. Disavowal was their best bet since Morgan knew he couldn’t responsibly leave the scene of an explosion.

“I’ll stay, Derek.” Spenser decided.

“We’re leaving.” Derek’s words brooked no argument. He slapped a light onto the top of his truck and sped off in silent fury, determining the siren would bring more attention than he wanted at that point.

~

When Parker screeched to a halt, she stopped right next to the cute little Vespa, winking at the driver as she disappeared around the far side of the Range rover. “Hey, Agent Morgan,” she smiled, but Derek didn’t have time to wonder why she was acting so strange before she ran off. He focused on the dirtbag threatening to shoot his friend.

Parker, on the other hand, knew Moreau’s men would run away, so she planned to leave them with a parting gift. She circled all the vehicles without being noticed, stretched beneath the black van for three seconds and ran back to the truck where Hardison was now behind the wheel. Moreau’s men were taking off and Tony looked hit but relatively alright. “Let’s go,” she demanded, slapping Hardison on the leg.

“Oww, woman! What did you do?”

“We have forty-five seconds to get out of Dodge,” she said calmly just before they suddenly flew into traffic.

~

“Don’t tell Gibbs, Ducky. Promise me,” Tony insisted and Dr. Mallard found it difficult to deny the young man.

“Only if you promise to tell him yourself, Anthony.”

“Soon,” Tony agreed, starting to drift off despite his earlier declaration that he wasn’t tired at all. When Dr. Mallard slipped out the room, followed by Morgan and Dr. Reid, he was grave and admonishing.

“How did this happen? Who would want to hurt poor Anthony?”

“Dr. Mallard, he’s safe now, I assure you. We’re not even certain who was behind this, but we do know they’re gone. Under the circumstances, I do think I should watch Tony until Gibbs gets back. When will that be, Dr. Mallard?”

“Soon,” he said, picking up his phone.