- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Bethany and Nova's future is in question.
Tony took Nova in his arms and hugged her. “Mama’s not going to be able to tuck you in, OK sweetheart.”

“Why not?” Nova said.

“Mama had to go away.” Tony said, struggling to explain.

“Why?” Nova asked.

“Because of that man who comes here.” Bethany spoke up.

“What man, precious?” Tony asked, knowing she was speaking of Donaldson.

“Chris. Mama told us not to tell Daddy about him when Daddy called.” Bethany said.

Nova nodded. “I like Chris.”

“Why…?” Tony started.

“He was Mama’s boyfriend.” Bethany explained. “Mama’s not coming back, is she?” Bethany asked wiping her eyes. She had begun to cry.

It broke Tony’s heart to realize that she was much wiser than her 7 years. He shook his head, unable to speak. He then scooped her up into his arms too.

Gibbs, Tim and Kate watched the interaction between the three of them and were very impressed. Tony really had a way with these two little girls.

“Boss, can we get them out of here?” Tony asked holding both girls close. “I’ll sit in the car with them…until….”

Gibbs nodded and Tony carried them out of the bedroom, past the open door to the master bedroom, and through the living room as quickly as possible. He sat them both on the back seat of the NCIS car and sat down beside them.

“We waiting on the ‘social people’?” Bethany asked.

“What ‘social people’?” Tony asked.

“Those that comes and gets the kids when the parents do bad things.” Bethany explained, holding her stuffed dog tight to her chest. “They come to my school sometimes.”

“Yeah, Precious...” Tony said nodding. “…that’s who we’re waiting for.”

“I don’t want to go with the social people.” Nova said, crawling again into Tony’s lap.

“I don’t either; those kids never come back to school again.” Bethany said. She too then crawled into Tony’s lap.