- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Seven years later.
Tony still remembered their first meeting like it was yesterday. But today, 7 Christmases later, Nova Marie Ellis was 12 years old and Bethany Ann Ellis was 14 years old. Nova was into sports and was a cheerleader at her middle school. Bethany was into music. She was taking piano lessons and guitar lessons and played the clarinet and flute in the high school band.

Bethany, Nova and Tony had, over the years, kept in touch with letters, pictures and holiday and birthday cards. Tony had had the great pleasure of seeing the girls grow up. He had been invited to and attended numerous recitals and games. He had been allowed to be a large part of the girls’ lives by their adoptive parents and he was eternally grateful. It had made him very happy when they had asked permission to call him ‘Uncle Tony.’

Tony had checked his email before leaving work and recognized the one email address in particular. He smiled when he scrolled the message and clicked on the links. A picture of Nova popped up in her cheerleading uniform, mugging for the camera. She had turned into a beautiful young woman. He clicked on the next link and a picture of Bethany popped up. She was in her band uniform holding her clarinet.

Tony sat smiling when he saw the pictures. He teared up when he went back and read the message.

(Uncle Tony,

We wanted to wish you a very Merry Christmas. I loved my book on advanced guitar techniques and Nova loves her cheerleading stuff. (She’s such a girl!) I just realized writing this that we met you 7 years ago, today. I still miss my mom and dad. I don’t say much to Nova though. I don’t think she really remembers them that well. I’m not sure. But I guess, considering what happened, it’s for the best, no bad memories for her.

Anyway, I wanted you to know. I remember the tea party very well. I’m surprised you let us dress you up in a boa and a crown. Daddy wouldn’t even let us do that. He didn’t play with us like that. He especially never sang to us. He tried, but he didn’t sing well. But I remember your voice. Every time I get up in front of people to sing, or to play an instrument. I think about the NCIS agent who sang Christmas song after Christmas song to me as we waited for social services. I don’t remember every song, but I remember the voice. It took a long time to get settled with the Ellises, as you know. I kept the sound of your voice in my mind. It helped me through some rough times. I was inspired to go into music by your voice. I never told you or thanked you for that. We never thanked you for opening your heart to two little orphaned girls. You have NO idea how much that meant to us. Thank you!

With much love, your ‘nieces,’

Bethany and Nova)


Tony printed out the pictures. They would join the others they had sent him over the years. He wiped tears away he didn’t know he had been crying. He hit ‘Reply’ and started typing.
Chapter End Notes:
I took a little different direction with the story than indicated by the first line of this story. I like this ending better though. I hope you will too! Merry Christmas!!