- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I saw in a recent episode where Tony refers to Jimmy as the "Autopsy Gremlin" and it really bothered me. I thought they had become friends and I believe the term Tony used to be derogatory. I wouldn't like it if somebody called me that, I know. This goes back to the 'summer' after Hiatus when it is implied in the next season that Tony asked for Jimmy's opinion, at least once, on how to deal with things after Gibbs 'retired.' Also in the episode 'Bounce.'
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony and Jimmy have a heart-to-heart.
Agent Anthony DiNozzo walked into Autopsy and stood waiting just inside the door.

"Dr. Mallard will not be in for another hour, Agent DiNozzo." Jimmy Palmer stated. He looked up from his work as he heard the door slide open. He turned his attention back to his work.

DiNozzo didn't leave immediately, so Jimmy looked up again.

"Agent DiNozzo? What happened to Tony?" Tony asked stepping closer to the table where Jimmy was working.

Jimmy stopped working. "I don't know. I guess it came back with the 'Autopsy Gremlin.'"

"Jimmy, Palmer..." Tony started. "...it was a joke."

"Am I laughing?" Jimmy said angrily.

"It was a joke." Tony asserted.

"I didn't find it funny." Jimmy explained. "I thought we were friends. I thought we were past that. You hadn't called me that for a long time. My mistake."

"What...?" Tony asked, confused.

"I was Jimmy, Palmer when you needed something. When you needed a favor. When you needed my opinion. I ..." Palmer paused. "...it's not your fault really, it's mine. I was looking for friendship. I interpreted what you said incorrectly. Not your fault." Jimmy turned his attention back to what he was doing.

Tony stood surprised, waiting for him to speak again. He had come down to ask Jimmy's opinion again. He stood there for just a moment. He felt blindsided.

"Whatever it is you want, Agent DiNozzo, it will have to wait for Dr. Mallard." Jimmy said, seeing the folder Tony was holding in his hand. "Whatever conclusions I come to have to be reviewed and agreed upon by the doctor."

"Jimmy...?"

"I thought you turned to me and asked me for help because you valued my opinion. I never dreamed it was because I was your last resort." Jimmy paused. "I'm sure you have better things to do than to stand around here for another..." Jimmy looked up at the clock on the wall. "...45 minutes."

"I'm sorry, Jimmy." Tony said sincerely.

"I have work to do." Jimmy said, returning to his work.

Tony stood still for just a moment before he quietly exited Autopsy.

THE END
Chapter End Notes:
I saw in a recent episode where Tony refers to Jimmy as the "Autopsy Gremlin" and it really bothered me. I thought they had become friends and I believe the term Tony used to be derogatory. I wouldn't like it if somebody called me that, I know. This goes back to the 'summer' after Hiatus when it is implied in the next season that Tony asked for Jimmy's opinion, at least once, on how to deal with things after Gibbs 'retired.' Also in the episode 'Bounce.'