- Text Size +
Autopsy Gremlinâ€"Part 2

Tony waited until the work day was over. He had been stunned and more than a little hurt by what Jimmy had said to him earlier in the day. But, he could see where Jimmy was coming from. He had really hoped Jimmy would be able to see what he was doing, see past the insults, but he had not.

“Jimmy….” Tony said as he waited for Jimmy to walk out of Autopsy. He grabbed for Jimmy’s arm, but Jimmy side stepped him. He headed to the elevator.

Tony got on right after Jimmy. He waited for the doors to close before he shut off the elevator switch.

“Jimmy….” Tony started.

“You can trap me on this elevator with you. But you can’t make me talk to you.”

Tony nodded. “Fair enough. I’ll talk. You listen.”

“Okay. I confess. I called you Autopsy Gremlin to make you mad.” Tony stated.

“WHAT!?” Jimmy asked, astounded.

Tony didn’t say anything for a second or two, choosing his words. “When you first came here you were timid. You were shy and well…Gibbs eats people like that for breakfast.” Tony replied.

Jimmy stood listening as Tony continued.

“You jumped at everything, everybody, anytime somebody said something to you.” Tony looked at Jimmy. “It was painful to watch, Jimmy. It really was. I…I had been around you only a short time. But I knew I liked you. You’re a really, really smart, good kid. But Gibbs….”

“Why were you trying to make me mad?” Jimmy asked, interrupting.

Tony nodded in response to his question. “Before Gibbs left I thought you were making progress. I…you were getting more self-confident. The confidence really had shown through when I was team leader. But then Gibbs came back and…and it was like we were back to square one. All the progress I, we, had made was shot to hell. I….” Tony paused.

Jimmy waited for him to continue, understanding more of what Tony was saying.

“It’s not like I could come out and TELL you what I was doing. So…So I had to go back to the beginning, back on the attack.” Tony explained. He looked Jimmy in the eye. “I was waiting, hoping for the day you would stand up to me and tell me to knock it off. You would tell me, ‘my name is Jimmy Palmer and that is what I want to be called.’”

Jimmy nodded his understanding. He came over to Tony and stood face to face with him. “My name is James Everett Palmer, but I would prefer Jimmy,” Jimmy grinned. “…Mr. Palmer works too.

Tony grinned one of his 1,000 watt smiles. He stuck out his hand. “Well, Mr. Palmer, Jimmy, it is very nice to meet you.”

THE END
Chapter End Notes:
AN: After reading the first part a few of you requested a second. Here it is. Hope you like it. Also, I have no idea what Jimmy’s middle name is, so I made one up. ENJOY!