- Text Size +
Kate, Tim and Abby entered the room together. Tony looked like, well Tony, except for the huge white bandage wrapped around his head and the bruises which stood out on his chest. He was asleep when they came in and Gibbs, who had spent the night at his bedside, and looked it, woke Tony up.

Tony moaned and opened his eyes. He looked at his visitors. It was obvious he did not recognize them all, but he kept staring at Kate.

Tim and Abby introduced themselves, with no recognition on Tony's part. Then Kate introduced herself.

"You were with me." Tony stated.

"Where?" Kate asked.

Tony shook his head. "I don't know, but you were there." Tony took Kate's hand and held it. "Kate, right? You helped me. Thank you."

Kate nodded and smiled at him. She wasn't sure, but she assumed he meant this latest incident.

"Yeah, it was you. I didn't see you, but I recognize your voice." Tony said. He squeezed her hand and then let go.

Kate looked up at Gibbs and Ducky. Gibbs motioned for her to come with him. They both stood outside the room.

"What is he talking about?" Gibbs asked.

Kate shook her head. "I don't' know. I...I talked to him when he was lying at the bottom of the stairs. I tried to stop the bleeding. He didn't open his eyes."

"Maybe that's it. Maybe THAT is what he is remembering."

Kate smiled. "Oh, I hope so. I would take anything at this point."

Kate and Gibbs then re-entered the room.

Tony looked at Kate. "It wasn't you, was it? I'm sorry. I thought sure I remembered something."

Kate walked up to the bed again. "It was me. I didn't see you fall. I didn't get there until afterwards. But I did talk to you the whole time. I knelt down beside you and tried to stop the bleeding. I just wanted you to know you weren't alone. You never opened your eyes."

Tony smiled at her. "So, I am remembering."

Kate loved Tony's smile. She smiled back. "It seems so."

If Tony recognized Tim and Abby, he gave no sign. He did smile when he was introduced to Abby, but it was more like the bemused expression he had had on his face when Gibbs had introduced him to Abby his first day on the job.

Abby had fought the urge to hug him, for two reasons. First, she didn't want to hurt him. Second, she didn't want to scare him.

Tony spent 3 more days at the hospital. The swelling went down and at the end of the three days, Tony went home. Well, to his second home, Gibbs' house.

TBC