- Text Size +
Tony leaned back against the wall of the elevator after he and Gibbs entered and the doors closed. Tony scrubbed his hand over his face. He sighed heavily.

Gibbs reached over and flipped the switch to stop the elevator function. "What is it, Tony?"

"It was supposed to help. I know it was, but it didn't." Tony said, agitated.

"Tony...." Gibbs started.

Tony continued as if Gibbs had not spoke. "I thought it would. I mean, you told me I spend 70% of my time here. I...I'm supposed to remember. I should remember." Tony slammed his fist hard against the wall of the elevator. The elevator shook. "I...I just want to remember. He looked Gibbs in the eye. "Do you know what it feels like to see yourself in the mirror and not know it's you?"

Tony's voice was shaking and he dropped his gaze to the floor. "This whole week I...I have been standing looking at myself. Looking in your bathroom mirror and wandering who the hell it is I am staring at. I think, 'I don't know that guy. Who the hell is he?'"

Realizing what he said, Tony backtracks. "I know 'who' I am. I know my name is Anthony DiNozzo. What I don't know is what he's all about. Who is the person behind the name?" By the time Tony finished his speech, his voice was shaking.

Hearing Tony talk like this broke Gibbs' heart. Gibbs had no idea what it was like to look into the mirror and not recognize the person staring back at you. He knew Tony was terrified, terrified he would never remember. Gibbs also knew, was very determined, in fact, that Tony would remember. He owed it to Tony as his friend and his partner to have his six. In this case, that meant helping Tony to return to his former self.

Gibbs smiled and shook his head. 'I can't believe I want the old Tony back.' Gibbs thought.

"What?" Tony asked, seeing Gibbs smile.

Gibbs then enveloped Tony in a quick hug, a very un-Gibbs-like move. Tony stood still for just a second before he hugged Gibbs back. "I will help you through this, Tony, no matter how long it takes. You will remember. You will. I promise you that. I will never let you down. I have never lied to you before."

It was like a switch was flipped in Tony's brain. He didn't get a flood of memories. But he got a pretty good onslaught. He stepped back from Gibbs and smiled. The spark and mischief had returned to his eyes. The last statement Gibbs had made to him brought it back. He had depended on Gibbs before. He knew he could trust Gibbs, explicitly. He trusted Gibbs as much as he believed that the sun would rise in the morning.

"I know you have my six, Boss. I never doubted that, and I never doubted you." Tony replied.

Gibbs smiled. "I knew I would get you back."

"Where did I go?" Tony replied.

"Smart-ass." Gibbs said, smacking Tony, lightly, on the back of the head.

"Oww." Tony yelped, rubbing the back of his head. "I could have a relapse." Tony insisted. "It happens, you know."

Gibbs flipped the switch to resume operation and then hit the button for the third floor. His phone rang, he grabbed his phone on the second one. He listened for a moment and then hung up.

Tony looked at him expectantly. "Dead Marine, Norfolk. Get Tim and Kate and meet me at the car." Gibbs stated and exited the elevator on the third floor.

"On it, Boss." Tony said, heading towards the bullpen.

THE END

End Notes: I know it seems like Tony got his memory back really quick. He did, but I think it could happen. (At least it does on the soaps.) (A reliable, true, source. I know.) But I didn't want to drag this thing out too long. I didn't want to overdramatize it and make it all soap-opery. (Is that even a word?)

Also, just so you know, Tony is not going back to work immediately. He is there to observe. He would need to be cleared through some sort of psychological evaluation to return to regular duty. Plus, Gibbs wants him somewhere he can keep an eye on him.
Hope you enjoyed!