- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The crime scene.
“Yes, Gibbs!” Tony said, running his hands though his hair for the hundredth time in the past hour. He had called Gibbs when he found Sharon’s body. The whole team was there. Gibbs questioning the suspect, one Anthony DiNozzo. Ziva and McGee were taking pictures. Jason Lewis’s team would be taking over the scene and Gibbs was determined not to break procedure and protocol anymore than they had already.

“Yes, Gibbs that’s her name, Sharon Hawley.” Tony snapped back, letting his frustration show. He had not really remembered her name and had had to think very hard to come up with it.

“You’re sure?” Gibbs asked, studying his Senior Field Agent’s face.

“I’m sure.” Tony snapped again. “Look, Gibbs. I didn’t run her through the NCIS database. I didn’t do a credit check. I just…did her.” Tony said. “Besides hasn’t McGruff over there already looked in her purse?” He pointed to the black handbag that was lying on the floor beside the bed. Tim had not checked the bag, not wanting to break procedure.

Gibbs looked at Tony intently and shook his head. “We're waiting on Lewis and his team” Gibbs explained.

Tony nodded. “Look, Gibbs, I’m guilty of a lot of things. But I’m no murderer.” Tony felt as if his legs were going to collapse and he sat down in the only chair in his bedroom. Tony tried to look at the scene before him with the professional detachment he used out in the field, but failed miserably.

Gibb knelt down in front of Tony, his eyes full of concern. When Tony had called him that evening Tony sounded scared. That terrified Gibbs. Gibbs knew he had to come. Even more so when Tony told him what he had walked in on when he had gotten home that evening. He had to take care of Tony. He couldn’t just say no. Tony needed his help. “Tony,” Gibbs said quietly. “…there is not sign of forced entry.” Gibbs had made of point of looking when he first entered the apartment after Tony called. “There is no sign of anything. It worries me, Tony. You know you didn’t do it. I know you didn’t do it.”

Tony nodded. “But the fact remains….”

“All roads point to you.” Gibbs stated.

“All roads point to me.” Tony repeated, sighing.

“You pissed anyone off lately?” Gibbs asked.

Tony stuck out his hand to Gibbs. “Perhaps we haven’t met. My name is Special Agent Anthony, I-piss-people-off-daily, DiNozzo.” Tony said with a mixture of sarcasm and tiredness.

“Tony ….” Gibbs started.

Tony knew what he was going to say and finished his statement for him. “No Gibbs, this is not funny. It sure as hell is not. It is as far from funny as you can get.” Tony restlessly pushed himself up out of the chair. He began to pace the floor at the foot of his bed.

Jason Lewis and his team arrived at Tony’s apartment 10 minutes after Gibbs and his team. Gibbs turned all their photos over to Jason and his team and exited the apartment, with Tony, just as Ducky and Jimmy were bringing the stretcher in to collect the body.
Chapter End Notes:
Jason Lewis and his team are my creation.