- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Kelly come home for Christmas
Kate stood in front of the finished Christmas tree.
“ Perfect” she said to herself. There was a knock at the door and Kate scrambled to answer it, not hiding her excitement. She pulled open the door and greeted the two people standing there.
“ Merry Christmas” she took Kelly in a big hug and gave Josh a small hug before letting them in the house out of the cold. Kelly looked around the very decorated house, all Kate’s doing.
“ I’ve missed this place so much, and it’s occupants” Kelly stated with a smile.
“ He’s in the basement” Kate told her. Kelly gave her a quick kiss on the cheek before heading for the back of the house.
“ So Josh, are you hungry?” Kate asked trying to break the silence.
Gibbs was down in the basement putting the finishing touches on his boat. He didn’t hear the commotion up stairs, so it was when he heard the familiar footsteps coming down the steps did he look up. His face instantly lit up when he saw Kelly.
“ You took your time” he stated as he moved towards her and wrapped her in a bone crushing hug.
“ Kate said six, it’s six” she told him with a laugh.. Gibbs pulled back and took a look at his watch and saw that it was in fact six o’clock.
“ Have you been down here all day?” she asked him. When he didn’t answer she knew it was true. He went back to his boat, avoiding her gaze.
“ Don’t tell me your having second thoughts about it” Kelly said following Gibbs.
“ No, maybe third or fourth thoughts” he answered.
“ Dad we talked about this for months, what’s changed?”. Gibbs sighed.
“ Nothing’s changed”.
“ Then what’s the problem?”.
“ I don’t want her to say no” he admitted.
“ She won’t say no, trust me” Kelly told him happily.
“ And what makes you so sure?”.
“ Dad, have you seen the house at all? Have you smelt the food she has prepared? It’s all for you”.
“ No, it’s all for you” he said pointing at her with the paint brush. Kelly sighed heavily.
“ She would still do it all for you. Kate is not like the others. She is not going to leave you. Dad, I want Kate to be my new mum” she pleaded with him. How could Gibbs not give that to her. He wanted to be happy and Kate makes him happy. That was it, his mind was made up.
“ Thanks Kel” he said giving her another hug. There was a small knock on the door and Josh’s head peered into the basement.
“ Uh, Kate said diner is ready when you two are” he told them. Kelly let go of Gibbs and turned to face Josh.
“ Ok, we will be right up” she answered, with a small wave to Gibbs Josh left them alone.
“ After diner ok?” she tells Gibbs.
“ Ok” he agrees.
After diner the four of them got comfortable in the lounge room. Kate was settled beside Gibbs with a glass of wine, Gibbs rubbing her arm nervously, Kelly and Josh sat on the opposite couch in the same position.
“ Your parents didn’t mind that we stole you tonight?” Kate asked Josh.
“ They were fine with it since we are having diner with them tomorrow night” he answered happily.
“ Ok, it’s Christmas eve present time” Kelly said excitedly.
“ Dad playing Santa Clause” she ordered. Gibbs froze. It was finally time and he was actually really nervous. When Gibbs didn’t move Kate instantly thought something was wrong.
“ Jet, you ok?” she asked softly. He turned to face her and gave her a small smile and a kiss on the cheek before making his way to the tree. He gave everyone one present from under the tree.
“ Aren’t you forgetting someone?” Kate asked with a little laugh.
“ Nope” he said and gets up from the tree and walked over in front of Kate. He took her wineglass out of her hand and put it on the coffee table. He took her hand then got down on one knee in front of her. Kate sat up straight a the warning signs started going off in her head. She looked at Gibbs, then over at Kelly, who looked like she was about to explode.
“ Kate” his voice grabbed her attention and she looked into his big blue eyes.
“ You of all people know that I am not good with word and I never will be. But believe me when I say I love you so much. You make me so happy and I’m glad that you have chosen to spend the last two years with me and bozo over there” he said with a little chuckle. Kat laughed and glanced over at Kelly before returning her teary eyes back to his face.
“ And I don’t know about you, but I want this time to last a little longer”. Gibbs put his free hand in his pocket and pulled out a blue velvet box.
“ Caitlin Anne Todd, will you marry me?” he expertly opened the box with one hand. Kate’s eyes darted to the ring, a gasp escaping her mouth. She looked back to Gibbs, his eyes pleading her for an answer. She took a deep breath.
“ Yes, of course” she said trying to fight the tears that wanted to fall. Gibb let out the breath he was holding and a smile spread across his face. He took the ring from the box and placed it on her finger. Kate threw her arms around his neck and brought him up off his knees kiss him . She couldn’t stop.
“ Dad, the boat” Kelly said, making Gibbs stop their kisses.
“ Come with me” he said grabbing her hand and leading her down to the basement. At the top of the stairs he ordered her to close her eyes as he lead her down the stairs. Once she was in the right position.
“ Open her eyes” he whispered into her ear. She obeyed and was taken aback with what she saw. The boat was almost finished and shone under the lights from the clear coat of lacer that her applied just earlier. Then she saw the name Kally.
“ Kally?” she asked. He smiled.
“ I couldn’t choose between Kate and Kelly, so with Kelly’s help I combined the two” he explained. Kate was speechless. She knew how much the boat meant to him and for it to be named after her was the most romantic thing any guy has done for her, except for getting engaged on Christmas eve of course.
“ Do you like it?” he asks her quietly. She turns around to face him.
“ I love it and I love you so much” she says wrapping her arms around him.
“ And I love you” he replied then leaned down and kissed her.
“ Merry Christmas Katie” he whispers against her lips.
“ Merry Christmas Jet”.