- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
One member of the team is fighting for their life, as Gibbs and the team deal with the task of finding the person responsible.

Gibbs deals with some personal, inner demons. Some big news that Abby has been keeping secret is finally revealed; While Tony and Ziva deal with issues of their own concerning each other.
--BOOM, Part One--

Chapter One--

The doors to the E.R. burst open, and two EMTs quickly wheeled a gurney inside�"one of them, a young blonde woman, shouted for assistance over her partner’s voice.

“What've we got?” Dr. Craig Kelly asked, as he met up with the two EMTs.

“Head trauma, possible collapsed lung, multiple contusions, burns, various points of shrapnel penetration-“ the female EMT spouted off quickly.

Dr. Kelly quickly looked over the bloody mess stretched out on the gurney before him. The young, dark haired woman was a mess. From her singed pigtails all the way down to her feet--it was difficult to distinguish between the person and the blood and charred clothing.

“What the hell happened?” Dr. Kelly asked, swallowing a hard lump.

“Bomb.” The dark-haired male EMT replied without looking up. “Shit!” he added without warning, as he ripped his stethoscope away from his ears. “Her BP’s dropping.”

Dr. Kelly quickly sucked in a deep breath, and that’s when his ‘Doctor Instincts’ finally kicked in.

“Get her to the O.R. now!” he barked, pushing the gurney along faster down the long, narrow hallway.

They passed a petite red-headed nurse coming down the hallway from the opposite direction, and Dr. Kelly barked out an order at her as they passed.

“Gretchen!”

“Sir-“

“Page Connors and have him meet me in Surgery.” Kelly commanded the young nurse. “Now!” he added hastily.

“R-Right away.” The young nurse replied as she hurried off in the direction of the nurses’ station.

Another nurse came through the emergency doors shortly after all of this had happened, and she was pushing Ducky�"who was sitting in a wheelchair at this point�"with Gibbs following close behind them.

“We’re gonna take good care of you sir.” She told Ducky reassuringly.
Ducky let out another wicked cough.

As the nurse rolled Ducky over towards an empty room, where she could give him a good once over, Gibbs jogged up close to the older man.

“Duck?” he started to say.

“Jethro…(coughs)…I’ll be fine.” Ducky reassured his friend once again.

“At best I’ve only a mild concussion-“

“I’ll be the judge of that.” The nurse told Ducky, with a small chuckle.

“Make sure Abby’s alright.” Ducky told Gibbs. “Go.”

Gibbs nodded. “I’ll be back.” Was all he said, and then he was off like a shot.

…What Happened Was…
Abby arrived at work, as she usually did, at 6:30 a.m. She stopped only once, at the Caf-Pow machine for an early dose of her favorite source of caffeine, on her way down to her lab at NCIS.

Her trademark pigtails bounced with every step she took as she exited the elevator just outside the ‘sanctuary’ known as ‘Abby’s Lab’.

“Good Morning Lab.” Abby said cheerfully as she walked through to her office. “Good Morning Bert.” She happily greeted her stuffed, farting hippo, which sat on the top of a filing cabinet in her office, with a smile.

She proceeded to lock her personal belongings in the bottom, left drawer of her desk before reaching for her lab coat which hung nearby on a rack mounted into the wall.

As she turned to exit back out into the main lab area she caught a glimpse of a photograph sitting on the top of the filing cabinet next to Bert the Hippo. The photograph was of a very handsome man, with dark hair and piercing blue eyes. Her heart fluttered at the sight of the man in the photograph, and she just had to pick it up and cradle it for just a moment.
The man was her new beau, Anton Dubois, a French-born Forensic Specialist whom she’d met a year and a half earlier while attending a symposium in New York.

She set the photograph back down next to her stuffed hippo and then headed out into the main area of the lab, all the time still thinking of her lover�"who was far away in the distant land of San Diego, California giving a lecture on new Forensic techniques and the like.

Abby immediately set about the task of turning all of her beloved machines on, humming to herself as she went, so that they would be ready for whatever case or cases the day might bring.

“Good Morning Abigail. Good to see you in such cheerful spirits this morning.”

“Ducky,” Abby said with an air of disgust, her nose scrunching up at the sound of her given name�"which she did not really care for. She turned to see the older Scotsman standing in the doorway of the lab, smiling at her.

“Oh, many apologies ‘Abby’,” Ducky said bowing his head slightly, with a chuckle. “I know you hate that name,” he said. “But it is a beautiful name.”

“No. It’s not.” Abby said crossly.

Finally she let out a small chuckle, as she crossed the room and hugged the aging M.E.

“But I forgive you Ducky.” She said as she hugged the older man. “I mean ya know…considering what tonight is.”

“Ah, indeed.” Ducky said, with a smile. “Tonight’s the big night.”

Abby nodded, with a warm smile. “Tonight we make it official.” She said.

“I’ve invited Tony, McGee, Ziva, Jimmy�"I even extended an invitation to Director Vance.” She told Ducky, as she switched on the computer at her workstation.

“And Gibbs?” Ducky asked, slowly.

Abby was silent for a few, long beats.

“He still doesn’t know�"does he?” Ducky said, somewhat disappointed.
Abby didn’t look at Ducky.

“I don’t know how to tell him.” She replied, quietly.

To Abby, Gibbs’ was the most important opinion in the world. She had always worked so hard to make him proud of her.

She had never felt so sure of anything in her entire life, like she felt about Anton. And yet, she felt so nervous about the idea of telling Gibbs her ‘Big’ news. She felt so sure that he would disapprove of what she had decided to do, and that…oh, the thought was just to horrid to continue.

She shook her head to clear her thoughts, and regain her composure.

Ducky sighed, and edged over closer to the Goth Forensic Specialist.
“He deserves to know, Abby.” He told her, quietly. “And he’ll find out eventually.”

“I know.” She said. “But remember my last boyfriend.” She pointed out.

Ducky had to think a moment, but it did finally come back to him.

“In Jethro’s defense,” Ducky began. “That Craig fellow wasn’t exactly ‘Boyfriend-of-the-Year’ material.”

“Ducky,” Abby said, turning around to face the older man. “Craig said he was only having a little innocent fun.”

“Fun!?” Ducky scoffed. “Abby, he could have killed you.”

Abby only crossed her arms over her chest, and hugged herself tightly. “I just don’t want Gibbs to hate me.” She mumbled.

Ducky shook his head at her.

“Abby, as long as I have known the two of you�"You and Jethro have always been like Father and Daughter to one another.” Ducky said.

Abby nodded in agreement. That was how her and Gibbs’ relationship worked. And she was so thankful for that--to be completely honest.

“What he does, though misguided as he can sometimes be, he does because he cares.” Ducky continued. “I don’t think he could ever hate ‘You’.”

“I know Ducky.” Abby nodded, quietly.

“You should tell him.” Ducky added.

“I guess you’re right.” Abby said finally.

“Good girl.” Ducky said, with a smile, as he patted her gently on the shoulder.

“Now, I think I shall hurry off and see if the rest of our intrepid team has arrived yet.” Ducky said with a smile.

Abby chuckled. “I’ll be right behind you in a bit.” She told him.

“Mail call.” Came a voice from just outside the lab.

A small, middle-aged man poked his head inside the doorway.

“Morning Stanley!” Abby greeted the mail room clerk.

The man just nodded.

“Delivery.” He said, as he waddled into the room carrying a medium-sized package under his arm.

“For me.” Abby said, as she took the brown-paper wrapped package from the mail clerk.

“Thanks Stan.”

“You’re welcome Ms. Abby.” The older man said, as he turned and headed back out of the lab.

“It’s from Anton!” Abby exclaimed happily, as she read off the name on the address label.

“I wonder what it could be?” Ducky mused.

“Only one way to find out.” Abby said, with a devilish grin.

She quickly snatched up a pair of scissors and began cutting away the tape that bound the box together. She opened up the flaps and found a medium-sized polished, wooden box within.

She hoisted it out and held it up to better examine it.

“Looks like some kind of music box or jewelry box.” Abby remarked. “Its very beautiful.” She added, admiring its pattern of intricate designs that decorated the outside of the box in it’s entirety.

“Well, I’ll leave you to admire you’re gift,” Ducky said, as he turned and headed for the door.

“I wonder what it looks like on the inside.” She mused aloud.

She set the box down on the table, and carefully unlatched and lifted its wooden lid. A beautiful melody began to play almost immediately.

Ducky froze on the spot, a cold chill running down his spine as the music continued to play.

"It's beautiful." Abby mused aloud.

Then a sour note echoed through the room. Ducky spun on his heels, a terrified look on his face. “Abby, get away from there! It's a-“

Then everything went hazy.

…Meanwhile, Upstairs in The Squad Room…
This morning Ziva had been the first one to arrive at work, and she now waited patiently for the rest of her teammates to make their way inside.
Then from around the corner she heard the familiar ping of the elevator stopping on their floor.

“Good Morning Everyone!” Tony said as he rounded the corner into the bullpen.

“Good mood this morning?” Ziva said, from her desk.

“Oh yes.” Tony replied, as he slung his pack down behind his desk, and began to remove his overcoat.

“Where’s everyone else?” Tony asked, as he switched on his computer.

“Not here…yet.” Ziva replied. By now she was becoming very curious as to why Tony was in such a ‘good’ mood. Not that it was anything unusual, but this morning he just seemed to be even more so than usual.

“Oh well,” Tony shrugged. “A little quiet time before we jump back on the wagon won’t hurt.”

Ziva nodded, slowly.

“Tell me,” Ziva said, standing up and walking towards Tony’s desk. “Why are you so ‘Happy’ this morning?”

Tony looked at Ziva as he sat down in his chair, unsure, at first, of what exactly she meant.

“Not that I’ve never seen you in a ‘good’ mood…its just�"this morning you seem…’Perkier’.” Ziva said, eying Tony. “Was last night a 2 for 1 special.” She said, making a face that clearly showed she was unsure of weather she had said that last statement correctly.

Tony was confused at first, but then it finally clicked in his mind what she was referring to. He chuckled nervously as he searched for the right words before continuing.

“No, no.” Tony said, with a nervous chuckle as he ran his hand through his hair. “No-nothing like that.”

“You really wanna know why I’m in such a good mood?” Tony asked with a smirk, from behind his desk, as he leaned forward. “Quite simple, really, dear Ziva�"I found her.”

“Her?”

“Yes…Her.” Tony repeated. “You know…The One.” He said, with a small chuckle. “At least I think she’s ‘The One’.”

“The One?” Ziva questioned, slowly.

“Yeah. The One. My Dream Girl. My…Soul Mate.” He told her with a sigh, as he leaned back in his chair.

“Really. That is…good…good for you.” She said, swallowing a lump that had formed in her throat.

Ziva had to turn away for a split second to re-compose herself, and she hoped that Tony would not catch on. This was unbelievable. She shouldn’t feel this way�"she shouldn’t be ‘hurting’. Why?

After all, she herself was in a committed relationship right now as well; and yet at hearing Tony’s news her heart sank down into the lowest reaches of her chest.

“I know, right?” Tony chuckled. “It just kind of came to me last night.” He explained.

“Last night…while you were out with what’s her name�"uh, uh, Michelle right?” Ziva said.

“Yeah.” Tony replied. “Actually, while we were in the middle of watching ‘Thunderball’.” Tony added.

Ziva had still not turned back to look at him yet. After a few seconds more, though, she shook hear head, clearing out any previous thoughts that lingered from the last few seconds, and turned back to face Tony.
“So its her…Michelle’s the…one?”

Tony stared blankly for a moment beginning to lose himself in Ziva’s eyes.
“Hunh, uh no…no.” Tony replied at last, shaking his head. “It’s not Michelle.”

“Then who?” Ziva asked quietly, somewhat confused.

There was a long moment of silence before Tony spoke again, and when he did there was an unusually serious tone to his voice.

Nearby, the elevator pinged.

“Ziva…it’s-“

“Ooh, what a morning.”

McGee rounded the corner dragging his feet as he made his way towards his own desk.

“Well, good morning to you to McKilljoy.” Tony said, looking away from Ziva to McGee.

“Sorry, Tony.” McGee said, as he dropped his stuff behind his desk.

“Morning Ziva.” He said, with a half-hearted smile and a tiny wave.

“What’s the matter?” Ziva asked, forgetting, for the moment, the conversation that had been taking place between her and Tony just mere seconds before.

“I couldn’t sleep last night because of my neighbor’s stupid dog.” He explained, from his eyes.

“Boo Hoo.” Tony said mockingly.

“Tony!” Ziva said crossly, shushing the Senior Field Agent with a mean look.

“No, he’s right.” McGee told her. “Its not his fault�"I’m dragging you guys into my problems and I really shouldn’t.”

“No,” Ziva said, soothingly. “It’s alright. We don’t mind.” She added, shooting another mean look back at Tony.

Suddenly the room went very quiet, and Ziva had a finger held up to indicate that she was listening…listening to something that the others could not hear.

“What?” Tony asked quietly, looking up at Ziva.

“Shh!” she shushed him.

“Ziva, you alright?” McGee asked next.

“You mean you did not hear that?” Ziva asked them, after a moment.
“Hear what?” Tony asked.

“Just then.” She replied, still listening for the sound to come again.
“You must be hearing things Z.” Tony told her.

Ziva shook her head. ‘He’s probably right’ she thought to herself.
“Anyway…McGee, you were saying?” Ziva said finally.

“Yes,” Tony said, trying to sound as if he really gave a crap at this point. “Please continue.”

“Well…” he started to say.

“Someone fall in a well?” Gibbs asked, as he rounded the corner into the bullpen.

“Morning Boss!” Tony greeted Gibbs, as he straightened himself up at his desk.

Ziva and McGee also said good morning to their fearless leader as well.

Ziva made her way back towards her own desk as she spoke.

“No,” Ziva said. “We were just discussing McGee’s-“

“Discuss it later.” Gibbs said plainly. “Call just came in�"dead petty officer-“

But before he could finish his sentence the phone on his desk began to ring. Gibbs snatched the phone up and held it to his ear.

”Gibbs.” He said into the receiver. “Jim.” Gibbs said, somewhat confused.
“Jimmy, slow down.” Gibbs said, trying desperately to understand the young M.E.’s assistant. “What!” he bellowed, after a few seconds more.

Everyone heard the tone of Gibbs’ voice change, and they all stood up waiting anxiously to hear what the commotion was all about.

“Stay put�"I’m on my way.” Gibbs told Jimmy Palmer over the phone. Then he hung up�"quickly.

“Call 911!” Gibbs barked as he raced towards the stairwell.

Everyone looked at one another�"worried expressions all around.

“You heard him McGee.” Tony said, as he left his desk and headed for the stairwell too.

McGee already had his phone in his hand dialing the number though�"he was ahead of the game.

“Tony…wait for me!” Ziva called after him.

…Downstairs, Outside The Lab…
Gibbs reached the bottom of the stairs, threw open the door, and found Jimmy Palmer helping a dazed-looking Ducky down to a sitting position against the wall nearby.

Gibbs’ eyes were immediately, then, drawn to the entrance to the lab where his heart sank at what he saw. The lab was filled with thick smoke and bright, hot flames. His first thought after that was ‘Abby’.

“Where’s Abby!?” Gibbs demanded at once.

Ducky gave a loud, smoke-filled cough as he struggled to get the words out of his mouth.

“She’s�"She’s still in there�"Jethro.” Ducky finally managed.

“Abs.” her name silently crossed his lips as a million different, horrible thoughts flashed into his mind.

“Sir-“ Jimmy started to say.

“Stay with him!” Gibbs commanded sternly, as he broke into a sprint, bolting for the lab’s entrance.

Gibbs disappeared into the smoke and fire within mere seconds, yelling desperately for the Goth Forensic Specialist.

…Inside The Burning Lab…
“Abby!” he yelled, though coughing and sputtering from the thick smoke that he was inhaling.

…Back Outside The Lab…
At that same moment Tony and Ziva reached the bottom of the stairwell, and emerged just outside the lab just in time to catch a glimpse of Gibbs disappearing into the fire and smoke.

“What happened!?” Ziva asked immediately.

Jimmy started to answer her, but Tony broke in before he could get very far into his explanation.

“Where’s Abby!?” Tony demanded.

“She’s still in there.” Jimmy said, motioning towards the lab. “Agent Gibbs went in after her.” He added, swallowing hard.

“Ziva, help Palmer get Ducky outside.” Tony said, as he moved over to where there was a fire-extinguisher mounted on the wall nearby. “An ambulance should be here shortly.”

Tony smashed open the case, and quickly removed the familiar red canister, and then turned towards the lab.

“But Tony-“ Ziva started to protest.

“Just do it!” Tony snapped, as he bolted for the fire and smoke that was engulfing the lab.

…Inside The Burning Lab…
Tony began spraying at small patches of fire with the fire extinguisher as he searched for Gibbs and Abby.

Suddenly he heard a yelp, and his eyes finally fell upon Gibbs, who at the moment was shielding Abby from a shower of chemical rain-fire that had just erupted out from a cabinet against the wall.

“I gotcha boss!” Tony yelled, as he dashed forward towards them. He quickly sprayed a jet of the extinguisher’s foam over Gibbs’ back and put out the fire before it could do any damage.

Gibbs looked up, finally, and Tony could now see that Abby was unconscious and in a mess that made his stomach roll.

“Help me get her out of here!” Gibbs barked up at Tony.

…Back Out into The Hallway…
They laid Abby out on the floor in the hallway, and then Gibbs stooped over her once more.

Gibbs and Tony were both panting heavily by now from all of the smoke they had inhaled while inside the smoke and fire-filled lab/room.

“She’s not breathing.” Gibbs said, as he began to do CPR on her.

“Come on, come on.” He panted, as he moved fiercely from the compressions to the mouth to mouth.

“Damn it Abs!” Gibbs swore, as he moved back to the compressions. “Help me!” he snapped angrily, at the motionless body beneath him.

“Come on.” He said again. Then, after a few more seconds he heard a tiny sputter, and then movement from within. She was breathing again�"but only just barely.

“Thank God.” Gibbs breathed quietly.

Tony let out a somewhat relieved sigh from behind his boss as he heard the sounds of Abby’s vitals picking back up.

“Help me get her outside!” Gibbs barked, as he carefully scooped her up into his arms once more.
---End Of Flashback---



Chapter Two --

Tony, Ziva, and McGee stood at the doorway to the now barely smoldering lab that was once Abby's 'sanctuary' of sorts. There was a long moment of silence, in which the three of them only stood with their gear in hand, surveying the damage around them.

"Look at this place." McGee said somberly, looking from one side of the room to the other.

"I know." Tony replied, quietly.

"We should get started." Ziva said, slowly moving past her teammates.

"Answers..." Tony mumbled, not moving from his spot.

"What was that?" McGee asked, looking up towards Tony, as he moved closer to where Ziva stood.

An image flashed through Tony's mind as he watched Ziva pull her camera from her backpack. He remembered all too well the conversation that Gibbs had had with the three of them just before he climbed into the ambulance with Abby earlier that morning.

"I want answers!" Gibbs had barked angrily, his face red with anger. "And I want'em...yesterday!"

"So do I." Tony replied, under his breath, as he slowly began to pull out his own gear.

Time passed as the trio photographed and combed through every piece of debris scattered around the scorched room. No one said a word during this time--there were just no words to be said.

Ziva crouched low, finally, having glimpsed something that caught her attention. It was a picture frame--badly charred on one side with the glass shattered completely out of it.

The picture inside the frame, however, was still clearly visible. It was a photo of the team--their team. 'My Team' were the words that Abby had used when she took the photo.

Ziva remembered the day that the photo had been taken almost as vividly as if it had only been just yesterday. She fought hard against the hot, moist tears that burned behind her eyes in that moment.

Even though she and Abby had not completely started off on the right foot, after meeting for the first time so many years before, the two of them had grown quite close over the years (though it had taken some time). They had eventually reached a point where they each thought of the other, fondly, as a 'sister' (as it were).

"Z-" Tony started to say, noticing that Ziva had spaced-out.

"This should not have happened." Ziva said, at once, looking around the room--as she held the photo close.

"I know." Tony replied.

"No--You don't know." Ziva snapped. "This is a secure building--is it not?" She said, turning to face Tony.

"Supposed to be one of the most secure buildings in D.C." McGee said, from across the room (still taking photographs with his camera).

Tony only nodded in agreement.

"Exactly." Ziva continued, slowly moving towards Tony. "So explain it to me, please?"

Tony ran his fingers through his hair as he searched for the right words for the moment.

"Explain to me how this happened." Ziva fumed. "Explain to me how someone was able to get a bomb through the front door--through security."

Ziva stepped towards Tony, her eyes glistening with tears, as she continued her emotional rant.

"And tell me why...why Abby?" Ziva said at last--tears staining her cheeks.

"Ziva-" Tony reached out to touch his partner, but she only tried to pull away from him.

"Ziva." Tony said, more forcefully the second time, as he wrapped an arm around her and pulled her close. She, again, fought against him for a few seconds before finally surrendering to his embrace.

"I don't know the answers to those questions." he told her quietly. "But I can promise you this--we will find whoever did this."

Ziva looked up, at Tony, with a new fierceness in her eyes.

"Swear to me." Ziva said in a low voice, that was almost an animal growl. "Swear to me--for Abby."

"I swear." Tony said finally, his jaw clenching and then unclenching as he stood there holding Ziva close.

"Um, guys." McGee said finally, from across the room. "I think I found something."

Tony and Ziva pulled apart and made their way over to where McGee was crouched over.

"What is it?" Ziva asked, wiping some tears away from her face with the back of her hand.

"Looks like a piece of an address label--taped to cardboard." McGee speculated as he rotated the item (which he held with a pair of tweezers) in front of himself.

"Makes sense." Tony pointed out, stooping down to McGee's level. "The bomb probably came in disguised as a package of some kind." he mused aloud.

"Tony," McGee said, as he squinted to read the printing on the semi-charred piece of cardboard. "Does that name--look familiar to you?" he asked, looking over at the older, Senior Field Agent squatting next to him.

Tony squinted his eyes to read the printing on the label, and then his eyes opened wide.

"Think we should tell Gibbs?" Tony asked.

Ziva squatted down, at that point, so that she too could see what it was that the other two men were seeing.

They all knew about Abby's personal life, and the big change that she was supposed to be announcing officially later that night at dinner; and they all knew that Abby had not yet told Gibbs that she was even seeing anyone.

McGee reached into his backpack and pulled out a small evidence baggy--which he then proceeded to open.

"You're the Senior Field Agent." McGee replied, as he slid the piece of cardboard into the small evidence baggy (carefully).

------To Be Continued------