- Text Size +
July

July swept in, in it’s usual sweeping way, hot and sunny. Any rain was held over for the evenings.

The 4th of July. Independence Day. The Capital was decked in bunting, and flags. Gibbs stood at the window looking over the garden.
“Duks, I hope you will see some of the action tonight. Heard Renton are doing something. The team are looking forward to tonight. We’re on call. Probably get a couple of bodies turning up. Gun shots. Killed as the fireworks go off.” as he turned and looked back at his friend, “I’ll drink to you. Our Declaration is based on you own Declaration Of Arbroath. I didn’t realise, that our Tartan Day 6th April was in-fact your own Declaration of Arbroath, 1320, it was another of Abby’s findings. Well better go. Catch you tomorrow.” as he gripped his friends hand. He thought he felt a return gesture.

12th July

“Hi Duks,” Agent DiNozzo shouted, striding into the bedroom.
“Sshhhhhhh, Tony,” he heard Morag say in her soft Scottish lilt, “Donald is not deaf, he is sleeping, but he can hear all you say. So, what is so important, bounding in here, with all the enthusiasm of a haggis on heat?”
Tony stood shocked for a moment, and shook his head, “Sorry.” he muttered looking sheepishly at her. “But hey Duks, know that Footie syndicate, I was running……the World Cup. God, it was Gibbs and I in the playoff for third place. Of course, Gibbs being Gibbs I had to let him win, I mean he would have made my life a misery, if I hadn’t. The winners? Yeh, one of the telephonists and a lassie,” Tony laughed, “In the canteen, were in the final, Holland and Spain. Spain won. Just as well, as that Octopus was going to be calamari, in garlic and tomato sauce if Spain hadn’t.”

15th July

“Hello Ducky,” Tim coughed slightly. Pulling a chair up he sat looking at the Doctor. “Today is the start of the British Open…… In some place called St Andrews. Abbs says its in the Kingdom, so must be good. I’m………I’m sorry what I did to your golf-clubs. Ziva says to say Tigger, is playing. We think she means Tiger. Gibbs of course won't watch. It's too painful, brings back memories of a seven iron to the head." Tim laughed, and looked at the Doctors face. Yes, he thought he saw a sly smile appear.
17th July.

“I have been thinking,” Ziva said looking down at Ducky, “This St Andrews, I have googled, and found many things about this place called St Andrews. It would seem that the Heir to the English Throne’s son, Prince William went there,” she saw Ducky’s right index finger sway, she frowned, “Sorry British Throne, but then you always did say that how could his grandmother be Queen Elizabeth the second, when Scotland had never had a first.” the finger lay flat. “Well this St Andrews. It was featured in………..”

“Chariots of Fire, “Tony butted in, “Great Film, got the team round last night and we watched.”

“I was saying,” Ziva now continued, “ It was Scotland’s 1st University established in 1413.……”

“Yeh, that would be 13minites past two in Gibbs time. Ouch, what was that for.” Tony replied rubbing his arm.

“The town it’s self wasn’t in the film, but the beach was.”

“Hey Duks talking films,” as he helped himself to a handful of grapes, which they had brought, “Got a wonderful film “39 Steps” You know how I luvvvvvvvvv Hitchcock, but this one was the 1959 version by Ralph Thomas, starred Kenneth More. The scene, when they stopped the train on the Rail Bridge and he got off, wow, and you saw the ferry boats below, the film was adapted from the book by………..

“John Buchan, see Tony, I have learnt about Scotland.”

“But Ducky, Hitchcock, he was like you , became an American citizen, but retained his British Nationality.”

24th July

“Ducky……..Duks. I just sooooooo, want to go to Scotland now,” Abby oozed as she sat at the Doctors bedside holding his hand. “I just found out this real cool Festival, its called The Wickerman Festival. And they burn an effigy at the end just like they do in the film……but I don’t think they have a body in it? Do they Tony? Oh Tony is so good at finding these films.”

“Well I am. And I’m getting kinda absorbed into this too, ye ken.” DiNozzo added, in his best Sean Connery voice and smiling. He thought he saw Ducky grimace. “Gonna get Trainspotting next, for Jimmy, and a lovely little romance for Ziva, “Gregory’s Girl”. Yep, Ducky certainly did grimace.

30th
Jordan stood at the side of the bed, before pulling in a chair, “Donald, to day is the start of the Edinburgh Jazz and Blues Festival in Edinburgh. I brought some Jazz along, I thought we could listen together.” She watched for any emotion, and movement, as the music quietly played out. Morag thought she saw the index finger move in time to the music. She nodded. Jordan noticed too and smiled.
August
The August nights began to draw in, as they say in Scotland. The days getting shorter. The nights longer. Some of the big department stores had started to get their Christmas decorations up, much to the annoyance of Ziva and Gibbs.
6th
“Donald. I know how much you liked, sorry like, shows and the media. But today starts the Edinburgh International Festival. The Fringe. I know not the legitimate festival, well….. really it is, as most of the fun is in the fringe.” Jordan began to say,” It was the street fest. The performers walked along Princes Street from the Mound.
8th
“Well Dr Mallard, I haven’t been in for a while. I’m sorry but I’m winching,” as Jimmy bowed his head and laughed, “She is a lovely girl. I wanted to bring her to meet you, but then again, she just met my mother, and I didn’t think meeting two………..” his voice trailed off. “But if you would like I will bring Sandie in to see you. Oh and Morag has started to call me Jamie. I quite like it don’t you?”
Jamie thought he saw a smile, or was it just a quiver of the Doctors' lips.
12th
“Hi Duks, brought you a coffee, but I see you’re not quite up to it yet.” looking for expression on the face of Donald. “Magnificent 12th Duks…….”
“Glorious 12th, Agent Gibbs, get it right.” Morag had reminded Jethro. Gibbs smiled.
“So, this Glorious 12th, the start of the grouse season. I had to stop DiNozzo bringing in a couple of pigeons to you. Ziva wanted to go shooting. Should I let her? Tim says I should stop grousing.”
Gibbs stood looking out over the garden. He was deep in thought. It was 8months now and still no response. As next of kin he wondered if he was doing the right thing.
“Duks, am I doing ok here? Am I doing the right thing? Would you be better off in a home?” Jethro asked quietly. He thought he saw as sigh.
“Aye, Jethro you are doing fine. Just get that lazy Jamie in here.” Morag answered, “Since that laddie, has been winching, he’s been nowhere to be seen. Tell him to bring his young lassie in to see the Doctor. Aye and himsel‘, the Doctor needs a weel kent face.”
13-30 International Edinburgh Festival (official).
“Hey Duks was talking to some of the lads up at the Barracks, and they were saying that The Citadel Band from Charleston, are actually going to play at the Diamond Jubilee of the Edinburgh Military Tattoo. They’re going to be the only U.S. band in Edinburgh. Abbs says there’s a Charlestown in this Kingdom, she has found. Didn’t know that they allowed the Tattoo up at the Castle since it’s a working Barracks. But heck Ducks I’m beginning to find out more about your homeland that you would probably like me too.”
International Book Fest. 14 - 30 August
“Ducky, I have just discovered that this Edinburgh Festival has everything the team could wish for. I have found a book festival where Authors are invited to attend. I was thinking of asking Tim’s agent if he could be invited for next year.” Abby gushed.
“It would be nice, but some of the Authors attending are local. Ian Rankin and Alexander McCall Smith, and from the US Joyce Carol Oates.” Tim now added, “But I don’t think they would want someone as unknown as me there.”
20th
“Dr Mallard, I have a confession. No, I did not do anything wrong. Dr Hampton didn’t shout. But I fell in love today with the most beautiful girl in the world. Then……..” as Jimmy began to explain.
“I walked in and found him oogling a Katoey.” Tony answered laughing.
“That Tony, is rich coming from you,” Tim now answered.
“Yep it was really quite funny, since Tony had an altercation with something similar.” Gibbs now added, “But what he was going to add was………” now looking at Jimmy.
“I didn’t realise that “The Lady Boys of Bangkok” were playing at the Festival. And, the funny thing is, so I heard………”
“Allegedly Jim, don’t get yourself into trouble.” Tony added.
“They go to the Ladies toilets………….” he whispered.
“Laddies, ladies……….they do not speak good English ,” Morag muttered, “And anyway, they see the picture of a woman in a dress on the door and so they think that is for them”
“Maybe Morag,” Gibbs answered, “They don’t want molested.”
“True. so true.” as she walked away laughing.
Gibbs looked at Donald, and yes definitely a smile.
30th
The night stayed dry, which was unusual for Edinburgh at the festival. The wind calm, an Indian summer looked like it would finish the summer off in Scotland. Morag had managed to get Tim to find a web site, on a lap top he had spare, and she had placed on the end of Ducky’s bed.
“Now Donald shall we settle down and watch the fire works that end the festival for another year.”
September
4th
“Well remember today Donald,” Morag remarked as she pumped up Ducky’s pillows. The day carers had been in, and cleaned and refreshed him. They had raised the bed so he could look out over the garden. If only his eyes would open. “11.00 o’clock the Queen opened the new road bridge. Remember the haar, and at exactly 11 the sun shone and the clouds moved. It was like the parting of the mist between the Kingdom and the rest of the world. Do you remember the romantic short ferry crossing across the Forth. No more long queues, to get over. The Hawes Inn was always a good refreshment point.” she looked and she thought she saw Ducky nod. No maybe it was his head falling against the pillow. But always hope.
________________________________________
17th

“Hey Ducky I didn’t know about this?” Jethro questioned as he entered the room with the Washington Post, “I know, I didn’t take Shannon’s faith, and you know I do respect, but the Pope, he’s was in Edinburgh yesterday. One question I got to ask, and it would be nice, if someone could answer. How did the Pope get along Princes Street? I mean……with it dug up for the trams.”

“Divine intervention, Agent Gibbs,” Morag interrupted, “The Lord moves in very mysterious ways.” as she plumped up the pillows.

Gibbs looked at Morag, shook his head slightly and smiled the Gibbs smile. Yes Morag, she had this habit of creeping up behind and answering your questions. Was she an angel or the devil?
October
8th-16th The Gaelic Mod in Caithness.

The start of the month saw Jethro standing at the window, looking across the garden. The autumn colours gave a warmth to the cold air. He turned and pulling the chair up to the side of the bed sat and looked at his friend.

“I read in the paper, that the Gaelic Mod this year is in Thurso. That’s in Caithness isn’t it,?” Gibbs asked, “Always remember you saying your mother left you on the bus from Orkney to John O’Groats. She was halfway to Thurso before she missed you. I don’t suppose she was going to sing?” now laughing. He thought he saw Ducky smile.

“Thurso is a lovely place Agent Gibbs. It is the a little wind swept, but the wind, it draws the cobwebs out your hair.” Morag replied as she passed through the room. Yes definitely a devil, Gibbs thought.


3rd -16th Commonwealth Games India.

“Hey Duks,” Gibbs spoke as he entered the room, “See your team finally decided to go to the Games. Bit of a nightmare I believe, but it all worked out well in the end, and you did end up with 26 medals, 9 gold,10 silver and 7 bronze. Not bad for a small country.” Jethro looked over a Ducky, his breathing light but steady. “Next games are in Glasgow. Fancy going? That’s if Leon lets us all off at the same time.” Gibbs wondered if his friend would ever see the light of day again or if he would just fade away. He wondered if they were doing the right thing.

Friday 22nd to Sunday 31st October

Jimmy, walked into the room. He wondered if Dr Mallard would ever be the same again. Would he ever regain consciousness. It had been so long since the accident. So much had passed in Scotland. They had talked to Duks and told him tales of happenings, and news in his native land. But Jimmy missed the tales of Ducky’s escapades. His tales of old. His mumblings. Morag saw the young man deep in thought.

“Jamie, do not worry yoursel’, the good Doctor is in good hands and he has his friends around him.” she spoke in her highland lilt, “Pull up a chair, speak to him.”
Jimmy took the chair and sat beside Ducky.

“Dr Mallard,” Jimmy coughed and spluttered, “I never thought I would say this……but I miss your stories. Dr Hampton, Jordan, she has allowed me to call her that, but it is slightly unprofessional, don’t you think?………well she doesn’t have the tales you tell. I was wondering when you get better you can tell me more. But Doctor, I found out today that there is a Scottish International Storytelling Festival, being held in Edinburgh this month. I believe the festival brings together storytellers and audiences from all over Scotland and beyond. Bet you wish you could be there.” as the young man looked across at his mentor.

31st

Abby was twirling round and round in her Marilyn Munroe dress.

“Duks I put this on specially for you.” she oozed.

“Thought it was for me.” replied Tim dressed as Robin Hood. The green tights pulled up tight against his body, but the leather tunic, long enough to spare embarrassment.

“We are off to a Halloween party. Fancy dress. Well you would have gathered that if you……….” he didn’t finish. Tim just wasn’t thinking.

“Gibbs says he will come in later and sit, just in-case there are any trick or treaters, who might upset Morag,” Abby now added, “So before we go we will just say this to you Duks. “The sky is blue, the grass is green. May we have our Halloween!” That’s how you used to say trick-or-treat in Scotland, remember you told us.”

Abby leant over and kissed Ducky’s forehead, “I keep asking the Nuns to pray for you.” as she and Tim left.