- Text Size +
November

The month started cool, there had been Mid-term elections throughout America. Not that anyone was too worried, they had their own problems Ducky.

5th

Jimmy wandered slowly into the room, he was tired. He had, had, a long tiring day with Jordan, and that upstart Sarah Knox. Jordan had liked having a woman about.

“Dr Mallard, I believe today in Britain, it is Guy Fawkes night. Sarah was just saying how her namesake of old, John Knox was a Catholic priest who turned to Protestantism, funny how the word looks like protest, but I suppose they were in a way, against the Catholics. And then how Guy Fawkes brought up a Protestant, and when his mother remarried, a Catholic, took that religion and, how it was that James 1st, although he had been baptized as a Catholic because of his mother's faith, but was brought up under the influence of a reformed Protestant Scotland and therefore a Protestant, although his mother was a Catholic…..”

“Aye laddie, Mary Queen of Scots, she was Catholic, but James, the V1, the sixth Jamie, he was only the 1st of England because Lizzie died, and the throne became one.” Morag added, “Strange how two men could change religions, and then the course of the world. But sorry tell the good Doctor your story.”

“Oh yes, so Guy Fawkes turned Catholic and decided he wanted a Catholic Monarch again, and so he and a few friends decided to blow up the Houses of Parliament. But they were discovered and they were hung, drawn and quartered. Bit like that case we once had………so now the British people have this party every year. Not sure whether it is a celebration or a commiseration. But they have street parties and fireworks like our Fourth of July or Thanksgiving, but then you know all this because you have been here in America than I have, as in years, being born.” As Jimmy, got all tongue tied.

24th

“So who is cooking the Thanksgiving fare?” Morag asked of the team as they had gathered to visit Ducky.

“If we don’t pick someone, she’ll make us eat haggis again.” Tony whispered to Tim.

“Heard that Anthony,” Morag shouted across at the now reddening agent.

“Do you not have Thanksgiving in Scotland?” Tim asked.

“I thank the lord every day for every meal. But no we don’t. But we usually have turkey for Christmas.”

“So if we volunteer to prepare and help cook, can we not have it for Christmas?” Gibbs questioned.

“Aye, Jethro, I was going to make my speciality……..”

“Please not haggis………” Tim whispered.

“No Timothy, my steak and ale pie. Thick crust, and a very hearty gravy, for the cold nights. Now that should put a bit more beef on you. I’ve seen more meat on a butchers steel.” Morag replied looking at Tim, “And anyway we are having Haggis next week.”

25th

They gathered in the dining room. Morag had prepared and cooked the turkey. She had found a cookery book, the pages yellowing with age and covered in food bits. She laughed to herself, Abigail would have had a field day in analysing the particles. The bacteria. Well if you cooked things well enough, no food poisoning A well thumbed, well used, recipe book. She had noticed that a there was a bookmark. She had opened and there was a recipe for Donald’s, infamous stuffing and in a torn page, covered in sticky finger prints a recipe for cranberry sauce. Morag recognised Abby’s writing. Morag set about preparing 19.00 she had instructed the team.

“I will not tolerate a minute later.” She said looking into Gibbs face.

“Yes Ma’am.” He replied, smiling.

The dinner was good, everyone sat back and sighed or burped in Tony’s case.

“I have to ask,” Morag questioned, “This Black Friday? Is it an anniversary for some terrorist event?”

“Black Friday?” Gibbs replied, “Abbs you want to explain?”

“Well it is the friday after Thanksgiving and as a lot of people have a long weekend, it is kinda like the start of the Christmas Shopping rush. Some stores like Sears, and Walmart they open at midnight. Going to Sears tonight Gibbs?” as she, smiled at Jethro.

“Nope I’ll wait for the sale on Christmas Eve.” He replied laughing.

“Ah I see, we have something similar in Scotland but it is the Boxing Day Sales, on the 26th. People actually camp out, overnight for the bargains. But being a thrifty Scot I always get by. More Bourbon Jethro?” as she offered Gibbs the bottle.

27th

The first snows had fallen in Scotland, but in Edinburgh, the Christmas Market had been up and running since Thanksgiving. Morag had watched Edinburgh on the news. She watched as the children skated the snow lightly fell to the ground. She watched as the kids stuck their tongues out and caught the flakes. The German market was doing a roaring trade with the adults sipping on warming mulled wine. Yes it was going to be a long cold winter. She tucked Donald in.

30th

As it was St Andrews day, Morag had arranged her special dinner.

“Not Haggis again.” Tony had moaned.

“Aye, Tony, we have to have.”

“When did you say we can’t eat it?” Tim now questioned.

“The haggis season runs from today 30th St Andrews day until 25th January, Rabbie Burns Day…………….after that it is the mating season and you cannot kill the little critters.” Morag had replied. “My grandfather, he was a gamekeeper on a Sutherland estate. He always said we could have one as a pet, but they were always too well hidden for us children to find………”

“She still believes these things are real?” Ziva whispered to Abby.

“Hey I still believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.” she replied smiling, “You Gibbs do you believe?”

“Oh yeh, the Yeti, and Bigfoot, and the god that brings me more Jack.” Gibbs now replied, stuffing some haggis into his mouth, and washing down with some Scotch.

“I just hope you can hear us Donald.” Jordan now whispered.
December

The first of the icy Arctic blast began to arrive. The temperatures dropped and the night frosts, began to creep along the plants, making them glisten in the cold white moonlight.

1st Chanukah

“Hello Dr Mallard,” Ziva whispered, “I hope you are well. No, that was a silly thing to say,” she corrected herself, “I mean, I hope…..Dr Mallard I have lit a candle for you tonight on my Menorah. I will light one every night and pray for you. But I would like you, and well Morag, to have these, some latkes and of course some sufganiyot, which Tony and Agent Gibbs tell me are doughnuts. So please enjoy.” As she turned she saw Morag at the door.

“That is very thoughtful of you lassie.” Morag replied.

As Morag settle down for the month of December , she saw the news from home. How the Forth Road Bridge had been closed for the first time in its 46year old history. The snows that had arrived early, looked like they were here to stay.

7th

“Hey Duks. Another year almost in, hear it’s really bad in Edinburgh. They closed some minor route between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Edinburgh Airport closed again, and generally bad, bad. The only things enjoying this weather were the two polar bears at the Highland Wildlife Park, at Kincraig, up near Kingussie. Mercedes, she came from Edinburgh Zoo. You ever see her? But Ducky I’m getting worried. This is so like “The Day after Tomorrow”” he said, “The Perfect Storm they said.”

“Tony I do not think the M8 a minor route. It may seem a small road to you, but it is the main artery of Scotland, along the central belt,” Morag now replied, “But I too am worried for my relations in the old land.”

10th

The morning was bright in Scotland. The heavy clouds passing, but still the threat. The thaw was on, but now it was flooding, that was the problem. Morag told Ducky of the weather.

18th

The snows came back, with a vengeance. This time England bore the brunt of the snow. Edinburgh, they got a respectable 4inches, enough to lie on the ice and cause more problems.

21st

The morning in Washington was still and bright, the temperature just above freezing. Morag had had a bad night with Ducky. He had tossed and turned. She thought she heard him speak, no mumble. She stayed close in case it was a fit, but far enough away in case it was. Ducky settled and Morag looked out into the night. She saw the lunar eclipse. The lunar eclipse on the Winter Solstice, Donald moving, Morag wondered was this, an omen. She wondered what time it would be in Edinburgh, 07.30, they would be on their way to work.

22nd

“Dr Mallard, Dr Mallard, you will never guess what I saw last night. I had to get up to see. It may never happen again in my life time or yours….” Now realising that was not the best thing to say. But he continued, “It was fantastic, and did you know it was the 1st time since 1638, a full lunar eclipse, has been on the Winter Solstice.” Jimmy oozed.

“Aye, laddie, but yon Doctor, had a bad night too, but I too saw. And then there was an earthquake in Cumbria, it was felt in Scotland. Donald must have known too, as he stirred. He seems to be getting stronger.” Morag now added, “Maybe these are good omens.
24th

“Jethro, I must ask of you, “Morag said in her highland lilt, “I would like if possible to go to Evening Service at your Georgetown Presbyterian Church this evening. I was wondering and hoping that you would stay with Donald while I went. I have not been to the Kirk, for many a month and the Minister was hoping I could attend. I will be back by 10 o’clock.”

Gibbs said he would sit with his friend.

Later that evening, as Morag put on her coat and hat, she said, “Jethro, I have laid a tray with some savouries, and a bottle out for you. The kitchen is all prepared for tomorrow, and I would just ask, if the boys appear to keep you company, then the kitchen is out of bounds. I do not wish to start again. Now, I will not be late, but if there is any change in Donald, and you need help, then Dr Findlay’s number is on the pad by the phone.”

25th Christmas Day

The team had gathered in Dr Mallard’s house. Morag had suggested 10.00 onwards, she had much to do and didn’t really want assistance. She had got Abby to decorate a tree, “I do not want fancy, modern, I would like traditional, so young lady if you could arrange?”

The tree stood magnificent in the hall. Under the tree there were presents. Morag had bought for the team. She had adamantly said no presents for her, give to the poor. “What need have I for materialistic gifts.” She had still bought for the team, from Donald Mallard. A sack hung at the foot of Ducky’s bed. It was filled with gifts.

Christmas dinner was at 3.00 sharp, “I will have no stragglers.” Morag had ordered.

They had started with Scotch Broth, thick and warming, with French crusty bread.

“Didn’t think the Scots went in for French bread,” Tony had questioned, wiping his plate clean with the bread.

“Have you never heard of the Auld Alliance, Tony?” Morag enquired, “We were fighting the English for many a year. We traded with them, and of course our Mary married into the French crowns, making our countries one.”

There followed Morag’s, steak and ale pie. The puff pastry, light, and well flaky. Everyone commented on the lightness. The meat in the ale gravy thick, and just seasoned right. Even Gibbs had asked for seconds.

“I’m stuffed,” Tony announced, leaning back and holding his belly.

“May I, if it is not too impolite,” Tim asked, “Could I loosen my belt and top button?”

“I already have,” Gibbs replied, “Wearing my shirt outside today.” Yes, Gibbs was how would one say, dressed down.

“I take it that you will not be wanting, my tipsy laird pudding then?” Morag now laughed.

“Could we maybe have later?” Tony asked.

“I take it we open the presents then?” Abby questioned.

“And who, young lady said there was a present for you?” Morag smiled, “But of course there are, from your Ducky, to say thank you for being here.”

26th

They said the big storm was on its way. Dr Mallard was becoming more restless. Morag wondered if she tell Dr Findlay. Maybe this was the end. Maybe Donald should be taken back in to the hospital. She and the team had tried all they could. Was there anything else they could do. No, only pray.
31st

The team had gathered in Ducky’s house. Vance had said they could have the afternoon off, but, if they received a call, they were still on duty until 17.00 hrs.

Morag had organised the girls into cleaning. Jackie and Jordan, had prepared a buffet.

“I hate cleaning.” Ziva had muttered.

“Young lady it is considered ill luck to welcome in the New Year in a dirty, unclean house,” Morag had answered back, “And do you not think Donald, has had his fair share of bad luck. I’m sure his mother always made sure the house was clean and fresh.”

“Aye,” Abby replied in her best brogue, “The act of cleaning the entire house is called the redding, getting ready for the New Year. See I have learnt something.” Getting a glare from Morag.

“Do we have to keep the windows open?” Jimmy enquired shivering.

“But of course, Jamie. It is to let the evil kelpies and mischievous fairies out and the good come in.” Morag replied.

“More like the cold.” Tim had snuffled.

“Ah, anyone hear the joke, the one about what came when the window was open, no…….. in..flew…enza, do we know a fairy by the name of Enza……..Ouch.” now rubbing his head, “Don’t suppose we do Boss.”
Gibbs smiled.

As 7.00 o’clock approached Morag nudged Gibbs, “Do the decent thing Agent Gibbs , make sure Donald’s guests have a drink to toast in the New Year.”

“Are we not a bit early?” Tony questioned as Gibbs handed him a glass of whisky.

“Shhhsh laddie, do you not realise that it is almost mid-night in Edinburgh, Ziva switch on the television and Tim, tune into some satellite that has the bells from the old country.”

Tim duly found, and they watched the crowds huddling in the cold night air of Edinburgh. Princes Street packed with tourists and revellers. Morag indicated that they all stand, glass in hand. They watched and listened as Big Ben in London struck twelve, and then the heavens opened above the castle in cascading streaks of colours. The fireworks.

“Happy New Year,” Morag whispered, turning and giving Jamie a kiss.

“Hey.” he shouted.

“Sorry getting into the swing here, but please you have to say your greetings to all.”

As they all shook hands, hugged and kissed, well the girls tried. Vance and Jackie stood, their arms round each other. This was a different New Year to them. The children had found it all too much and had disappeared behind the couch.

“Now Donald,” Morag said turning and facing him, she now said:-
“First what did yesternight deliver?
Another year is gone forever.
And what is this days strong suggestion,
The passing moment’s all we rest on,
Rest on-for what? what do we here?
Or why regard the passing year?”


“So,” as she wet Dr Mallards lips with a taste of whisky, MaCallan, “You stubborn Scot, we can do no more for you. We have done all we can. It is up to you now. So get your arse into gear laddie, and show these people that you have slept enough.”

The team looked on. It had been almost a year since the accident, 00.30am and the minutes were counting down to the start of yet another………..what had they learnt in that year……the team……..compassion…. a knowledge of a Country that Donald held dear. An understanding that time, can stand still. They had seen the seasons come and go. They had watched the beauty unfold and die. They had seen the world as if they were blind. They had learnt much.

As they watched, they saw a movement from the bed, a sigh, a murmur………a flicker of the lids. They watched as Ducky opened his eyes, licked his lips and said,

“Happy New Year, Happy 2010.………but why am I lying here? Why do I have this drip in my arm? Why are you all standing watching me? And do you know I seem to have had the strangest dream.” as Ducky tried to sit up.

Morag fussed around, removing the drip and making Ducky comfortable. Gibbs looked at his friend, and smiled. Yes it would probably take year to explain. Abby squealed, and hugged Tim. Tony put his arm round Ziva, and kissed the top of her head. Vance and Jackie, thankful that they had each other, pecked a kiss, well Vance was management….their thoughts and prayers had been answered, but the joy was broken by a sound from behind the couch. A broken glass, and the sound of someone retching. Yep, the kids had found some whisky……..and had turned a slight green colour……………..
The End