- Text Size +
Story Notes:
The idea came to me while reading a book.I couldnt stop thinking how well it suited Kate and Gibbs.It is very AU as Yankee White basically ner happened. There are other chapters coming.
Author's Chapter Notes:
A different scenario where Kate and Gibbs meet.
Kate stood at the bar looking at the many assortments of drinks ranging from alcohol, juice, teas and mixtures of all three.
"Um..." she said running a hand throug her hair.
"She'll take a pineapple juice with coconut milk" a strong male voice said. She turned to see a tall, solid built man with baby blue eyes and silver wispy hair standing next to her.
"And you are?" she asked raising an eyebrow.
"Jethro Gibbs" he said holding his hand out. Kate smiled and took his hand.
"Kate Todd. How long have you been here?" she asked.
"One week out of four. You?" he asked.
"Two days out of two weeks" she said. She turned back to the bartender who placed the drink in front of her.
"Thank you" she said with a smile. She took a small sip.
"Wow, that's amazing" she said and took another.
"Everything here is amazing" he told her. He finally took the stool next to her.
"So what brings you to Hawaii?" Kate asked with a smile.
"Forced leave" he said with a laugh. Kate laughed too.
"That's exactly why I'm here. My family wanted me to take some time off work, so they sent me here for two weeks" she told him.
"You are work-a-holic too?"he asked. Kate nodded and finished her drink before she spoke.
"I dont have a nine to five job, it's more like a twenty two hour, seven days a week job" she joked.
"Doing what?" he asked.
"Protecting the President" she said. Jethro's face lit up.
"Secret Service" he said. She ordered another drink.
"You sound surprised" she said with a smile. Jethro shook his head and smiled.
"You just dont seem like the person to be protecting the President"he said. kate turned to face him.
"Why? Because I'm a woman?" she asked with a smile.
"No, because you're young and good looking" he said seriously. Kate could feel the red rise in her cheeks and looked away to hide it from him. He cleared his throat and sat up straighter.
"Have you eaten yet?" he asked.
"Bedside the fruit in my hotel room, no I havent" she told him. He slid off the stool.
"Good, cause I know some great places for the best local food" he said. Kate quickly finished her drink and followed him alone Waikiki beach. They fell into easy conversation as Jethro led her to a small local restaruant.
"So what made you choose Hawaii to spend your time off?" Kate asked as they waited on their food. Gibbs shrugged.
"Away from everything, it's beautiful and relaxing. Why did you come to Hawaii?"he asked.
"My parents choosing. They said I need to relax and get away from the city. I'm not complaining, it' beautiful here"she said looking around. Silence fell amongst them, so Kate kept on getting to know Leroy Jethro Gibbs.
"And what is it exactly that you do?"she asked. He smiled.
"I work for NCIS"he told her. Kate nodded.
"I see. I dont know if thats a good thing or a bad" she said with a laugh. Jethro laughed to before he answered.
"It can be good".
"So why NCIS? Why not FBI or the CIA?" she asked.
"I was a marine, so NCIS was my best choice"he said. Kate was stunned.
"You're an ex-marine" she said in disbelief.
"No such thing as an ex-marine" he told her.
"Clearly. So have you been to the memorial at Pearl Harbour?" she asked. He shook his head.
"Not yet". They were interrupted by the arrival of their food.
After they had a meal he took her to the markets which were filled with exotic foods, dresses,shirts and jewellery. As the sun started to set Jethro walked Kate back to her hotel room.
"Thank you for showing me around today" Kate said.
"Not a problem. If you need a tour guide for the rest of your time. Call me" he said as he handed her his card. She smiled.
"I'll be sure to do that. Good night Jethro" she said as she opened her door.
"Good night" he said then headed for the elevator. Kate stepped inside and closed the door. She couldnt believe her luck. Her family sent her on a vacation and she just happened to meet a handsome man who was all but too happy to show her around. Of course he was older, but with age came maturity and experience.

***
The next morning Kate woke up and stepped out onto her small balcony that over looked then end of Waikiki beach. She could get used to this view, she really could. She decided to go for a morning swim and on the way back she grabed one of those delicious drinks Jethro had ordered fro her the day before.
Up in her room she saw Jethro's card sitting on her coffee table. She picked it up and stared at it deciding what to do. She grabbed her phone and dialed his number.
"Gibbs" he answered.
"Hi, it's Kate. Are you busy?" she asked.
"Not at all" he answered, sounding happier then before.
"Good, because I was wondering if you would like to take me to the Navy memorial at Pearl Harbour today?" she asked. She held her breath waiting for his reply.
"Sure, sounds great. I'll be right over" he answered without to much thought.
"Great. I'll see you soon" and she hung up. She smiled. She was so happy she felt like jumping up and down. Then there was the dilema of what to wear. She quickly went through her suit case and decided to go with the hawaiian print dress she had brought yesterday. She grabbed her purse just as there was a soft knock at her door. She opened with a smile.
"You look great" Jethro immediately commented her dress. She gave him a smile and took in his appearance. He wore a lite blue polo shirt, faded green khaki shorts and brown sandals. Definitely not NCIS dress code, she thought.
"You ready to go?" he asked.
"Yes" she said. She took his offered arm and he led them down to hi rental car. It was quiet a drive to the site at Pearl Harbour, although the car was filled with chatter and laughter.
"So why is that everyone hates NCIS? If everyone is like you, I dont see what the problem is" she said with a laugh.
"Maybe because we do what we want and dont always follow the rules" he told her with a laugh. They finally arrived and parked near the visitors centre where the tendors departed to take visitors out to the odd-shaped white memorial floating in the harbour. They climbed onto the memorial along with the other visitors. Jethro pointed out the remains of the sunken vessel below them. Kate was in owe. She had never seen anything like it. She couldnt hide the shiver that ran up her spine.
"You ok?" Jethro asked as he noticed.
"Yeah. I just can't believe I am standing over more then a thousand dead men right now" she said.
"I know. Did you want to go?" he asked. Kate shook her head.
"Oh no, I'm fine. It's just a little confronting thats all" she explained. He nodded in agreement. He put an arm around her shoulders and led her to the marble wall where the names of all those lost were carved. Kate stared at it in amazement.
"How about we go and I take you out for diner and a show" he suggested.
"Sounds wonderful" she agreed.
They made the long drive back to Honolulu.
"Do I need to change?" she asked. Jethro looked over at her.
"What you're wearing is just fine" he said with a smile. He finally found a park and he led her into an old hotel, the Moonflower. He led her out onto the terrace that faced the sea and settled at a table. Jethro ordered two mai tais.
"It's pineapple juice and rum. Very nice" he told her. She smiled.
"I didnt take you for the rum type" she said.
"No, bourbon. I dont think it would go well with pineapple juice though". Kate laughed. Soon enough the drinks arrived and Kate took a tiny sip.
"It's wonderful" she sommented. Jethro smiled. They stared out over the ocean as the warm colours of the setting sun filled the sky.
"It' gorgeous" she said taken away wonderful smells, colours and sounds.
"Yes it is" he agreed looking at her. Kate glanced at him and blushed when she noticed he was looking at her. As the moon started to rise a band started to set up and a woman in a figure-hugging Hawaiian dress walked between tables, pausing to greet people around the terrace and verandah of the restaurant.
"Who's that?" Kate asked, struck by the beauty of the Hawaiian woman.
"Lani. She' tonights entertainment" he told her. The band started to play and Lani moved in front of the band to the centre of the stage. Lani started to sway, her hips circling, her arms lifted in a graceful curve and her eyes on her fingertips.
"She is amazing. I suppose you would have to be born to it to dance like that" Kate said quietly.
"They get taught as toddlers" he told her.
"How many times have you seen this?" she asked.
"A few" he said with a smile.
After the show they moved into the restaurant for diner. As it was getting late Jethro drove Kate back to her hotel.
"I had fun today" she said before getting out of the car.
"I'm glad. So tomorrow?" he asked. Kate thought for a bit.
"I thought i could do some souveneir shopping, but we could do diner?" she suggested. Jethro nodded.
"Sounds like a date" he said. He leaned in and kissed her cheek. His lips lingerd there for a bit before pulling back.
"Good night" he said softly.
"Night" she said then stepped out of the car and headed up to her room.

***
The next morning kate caught a bus to the Ala Moana shopping centre and lost herself amognst the stores. She met so many friendly people who were more then happy to help her find what she was looking for. She bought herself some more dresses, a hat, her mum and sister a sarong and some homemade moisteriser, her father a Hawaiian shirt and her brothers can holders as well as some towels. She managed to lug all her bags back to her hotel room. She had just set the bags down when there was a knock on her door.
"Hey, come in" she said happily. Jethro walked in and saw the bags.
"You've been busy" he commented.
"I just got home. Do you mind if I go change?" she asked. Jethro looked her up and down.
"You look great in what you're in" he said.
"I brought these dresse that I would like to wear. I will be ten minutes tops" she said, grabbed a dress and headed into the bathroom. Jethro went and stood out on her balcony and admired the view she had.
Kate quickly pulled on her new dress. It was backless, red with white flowers. It hugged her figure magically. She did her hair up in a ponytail, slipped on some sandals, touched up her make-up and sprayed on some perfume then exited. Jethro straightened and turned around when he heard Kate behind him.
"Kate, you look amazing. I love the dress" he said not taking his eyes off her. Kate blushed and did a bit of a twirl to show him the rest of the dress.
"Just trying to fit in with the locals" she said. Jethro walked over to the coffee table and picked out a flower from the vase and walked over to Kate. He gently placed the flower in her hair.
"There. Perfect" he said. He kissed her cheek again. As he pulled back Kate kissed him. It was a gentle kiss and she wound her arms around his neck. He wrapped his arms around her waist pulling her closer as their kiss became more passionate. They fell back on the bed, wrapped in each other's arms, desire over taking them. Kate quickly kicked off her sandals and pulled at Jethro's shirt as he pulled at the zipper or her dress.
They clung together, their naked bodies lit up by the soft light. Jethro pulled back, searching her face.
"Are you sure about this?" he asked. Kate stared up into his eyes.
"I have never been more sure" she replied. He hesitated a moment more before kissing her again. Still hestitant he let her take over as he didnt want to make her feel pressured. Having control made her feel sexy.
They lay together, warm wet bodies side by side. Jethro ran a hand over her stomach and nuzzled her neck.
"That was amazing" he murmued into her ear. Kate smiled.
"Mmm, yes it was" she said as she ran her hand through her hair.
"Hey, I'm starving, could we still make it for diner?" she asked. Jethro looked at his watch.
"Yeah we can still make it. It's only just down the road. You sure you still want to go?" he asked.
"If you do. Although I'm very happy to stay her" she said as she kissed him and moved her body towards his.
"Mmm, I like that idea" he said. She smiled and pulled him on top of her.

***
The next morning Kate woke up and saw Jethro sitting on her balcony in only a towel. She looked at his strong back andthe outline of his head. She couldnt help but think he was one of the most handsome man she'd ever seen, despite his age. Kate propped herself up on her elbow.
"Morning. How long have you been awake?" she called to him. He stood up and made his way over to her.
"Not long. I watched you sleep for a while. You look like a little girl" he said and dropped his towel and slid into the bed beside her.
"Well I am, compared to you" she joked.
"You in a rush to go anywhere?" he asked. she shook her head and reached for him.
"No sir. You?" she asked with a smile.
"Not at all" he replied and kissed her. So they spent most of the day in bed. Ordered some food and then went back to bed.
Kate was lying on his chest playing with the hairs on his chest.
"So how about that diner you owe me" she said. Jethro moved his hands up and down her arm.
"If you want. It's diner and a show" he said.
"Another one?" she asked looking up at him.
"It's all for the tourist. I'm sure you will love this one as well" he assured her.
"Ok, if you insist" she said and got up out of bed. She threw on the dress from the night before, did her make-up and hair and was ready to go.
"So what are we seeing tonight?" she asked as they walked out of the hotel.
"It's called Don Ho. It' right across the road at the Beachcomber lounge" he told her.
"What exactly is the Don Ho?" she asked as they stopped to wait to cross the street. Jethro smiled at her.
"You'll see" was all he said. He led her into the hotel and they settled into a booth under starry lights where a candle flickered in pink glass.
"So how many times have you seen this Don Ho?" she asked. He smiled.
"A couple". Kate laughed.
"Are you liking it here?" he asked as he leant over and took her hand.
"Of course. It's fantastic. I'm dreading going back home" she told him with a smile.
"I don't normally live like this. It's the magic of Hawaii. The ultimate romantic getaway" he told her.
"Is that what this is? How often do you have romantic getaways?" she asked, half serious half joking. Jethro felt like kicking himself for what he said.
"Of course not, this is a first. Since my third divorce" he said trying to lighten up the mood. It worked as a small smile played at her mouth. She turned and focused her attention to the other guests that filled the retaruant, while she subconciously ran her thumb over his hand. Jethro couldnt take his eyes of her. She is so beautiful, he thought.
"Kate...you've made my time here...well worth it" he told her. He saw the slight blush rise in her cheeks as she turned back to face him.
"You too. I never thought I would have this much fun and I didnt think I would meet anyone like you" she told him. He just smiled and the moment was interrupted by the waiter bringing them their drinks. He then handed her the menu.
"We should order dinner. The show is about to start" he said as he searched the menu.
Kate enjoyed Don Ho's show. She enjoyed his humour and flirtatious manner, the Hawaiian dancers and singers. She had never seen anyhting like it before.
"It's amazing" she whispered. He smiled.
"Do you want to dance?" he asked as he got up. Kate took his hand and he pulled her to her feet.
"I didn't take you for the dancing type" she said with a little laugh as he danced them around the floor, carefully dodging the other couples.
"Three weddings, I picked up some moves" he replied lightly. Kate smiled and shook her head.
"What?" he asked looking down at her.
"I wondered how a guy like you could still be single, but now I know you werent always singe" she explained.
"Do you have a problem with that?" he asked. She shook her head.
"Nope" and she leaned up and kissed him.

Kate sat out on her balcony with a cup of coffee. Jethro had slept at his hotel room, for the first night in days. She smiled to herself as she looked out at the already blue, cloudless sky, that was reflected in the equally clear blue water which reminded her of Jethro's eyes. She got up and picked up the phone and dialed his number.
"Hello" he answered gruffly.
"Hey, what are you doing today?" she asked happily.
"What ever you want to do" he answered.
"Great, because I was thinking we could go explore the rest of the island" she said.
"So you've had enough of the high rises and resorts" he said with a laugh.
"There are high rises and resorts in DC. I want to see the real Hawaii".
"Ok. I'll be there in 20" he told her.
"Great, see you then" and she hung up. She was so excited and she didnt know why. They had spent almost everyday together since she arrived and now she was leaving in three days. She should be upset about going back, but she is happy.
They drove the back roads. The scenery so different.
"I would of never guessed Hawaii looked like this. It's beautiful" Kate exclaimed as she looked at the green land passing by her window.
"It all use to look like this. We're lucky this is still left" he told her. She smiled at him then went back to admiring the scenery.
"So where exactly did you want to go?" he asked.
"I'm not to sure. I was hoping we could find a private beach or something. Where no tourists will be" she said with a shrug. Jethro laughed.
"May be difficult with the amount of surfers on the island" he said with a chuckle. Then Kate saw a break through some of the tress.
"Wait. What about over there?" she pointed and Jethro slowed down. He reversed and parked by the small dirt track.
"And how do you know it leads to a beach or a pond?" he asked skeptically.
"I don't" she answered with a smile as she got out of the car, grabbing her bag. Jethro got out and followed her.
After what felt like hours there was finally a break in the trees and they could hear the low rumble of the waves.
"Looks like our lucky day" Kate said as she took her shoes off at the edge of the sand. Jethro watched her walk down the beach. She seemed like such a free spririt. Definitely not the personality of a Secret Service Agent, he thought to himself.
"Are you coming?" she called. Jethro couldn't say no to her. He took off his shoes and followed her path down the beach. Kate had dropped her towel, bag and shoes just up from the wet sand. She lifted her dress up and over her head and dropped it into the already made pile. She waited for Jethro to catch up. When he did, he droped his things next to hers. He paused to look at the goddess of a woman in front of him. He still couldn't believe how lucky he was to be spending time with someone like Kate.
"Is everything ok?" Kate asked watching him. Jethro came out of thoughts and nodded his head and produce a small smile. "Good. Now lets get this off" she said as she stepped forward and lifted off his shirt and threw it on the pile she had already made. She ran her hands over his chest then leaned down and picked up a small container from her bag.
"You do my back, I do yours" she said happily. Jethro gave a little laugh before taking the sunscreen.
Kate put the sunscreen back in her bag when she was done then made her way down to the water. She stood in the water lapping at her knees. She turned around expecting to see Jethro behind her. She saw him still up on the beach.
"Are you coming?" she called out. Jethro gave a nod and slowly made his way to the water. Once in he went straight to Kate wrapping his arms around her and kissed her. Kate pulles back and smiled at him.
"I'm going to miss this" she told him. He nodded his head then kissed her again.
"We better make the most of it" he said then dove into the water. Kate turned and watched him pop up behind a small wave. Kate smiled and followed his actions. They swam in the warm crystal blue water for an hour before Jethro decided to head back in. He sat down next the to pile of clothes as the sun slowly started to dry him. Kate saunted up the beach soon after and sat down next to him.
"Thank you" Kate suddenly said. Jethro looked over at her.
"For what?" he asked.
"For the past two weeks. I thought I was going to be so bored on this island by myself. I didnt expect to meet a charming man" she said with a smile.
"You forgot good looking" he said with a laugh.
"How could I forget" she said with a smirk and leaned over and kissed him. Kate pushed Jethro back down onto the sand and got on top of him. Jethro ran his hands up her thighs to her sandy bum. Kate stopped their kiss and got off him. He looked up at her in question. She had a cheeky smile on her face.
"Why dont we have some fun" she said as she walked back slowly to the waters edge. Jethro sat up on his arms and watched her.
"I'm gunna rest for a bit" he told her. Kate shook her head.
"I don't think you should" then she undid the top knot of her bikin top and let it go reveiling her perfect breasts to him. Jethros voice caught in his throat and he swallowed before he tried to speak.
"That's not a good idea" he called to her. She smiled at him and undid the bottom knot and let the top hit the sand.
"Why not? No one else is here" she told him. Jethro groaned as he watched her slip of her bottoms.
"You can either join me, or sit up there and watch" she said and made her into the water. He had no idea what to do. Yes they were away from most people but anyone could turn up. Then again there was a gorgeous naked woman waiting for him in the water. He groaned as he got up and made his way to the waters edge. He looked down at Kate's discarded bikini, then out to see Kate's smiling face bobbing up and down.
"Take it off" she called. Jethro pointed to his pants.
"Yes. You look so much better naked" she called back. He was so glad she was out there where she couldnt see him blush. He hadnt been told that before, especially at his age now. He took a quick look around the beach and took a deep breath. In one swift movement he pulled down his shorts and then quickly entered the water. He swam out to where Kate was.
"Happy?" he asked. She nodded her head and wrapped her arms and legs around him.
"Very" she said before kissing him again.

Kate rolled over and realised Jethro was no longer there. She opened her eyes and saw the red lights of the clock starring at her, 4:21. She rubbed her eyes and sat up. In the little light that was in the room she saw Jethro sitting on a chair across the room in his boxers.
"Everything ok?" she asked. Jethro shook his head and sat up straighter in the chair.
"This isnt me. I don't drink pineapple juice, dance or swim naked in the ocean" he said trying to be as serious as possible. Kate gave a little laugh at the reference to yesterdays swimming activities.
"I know. You told me before" Kate replied as she climbed to the end of the bed.
"You dont get it. I am a moody, controlling, work-a-holic who drinks bourbon while working on my boat. I dont talk about feelings and I have been called a bastard on more then one occasion" he told her raising his voice a little. Kate sighed.
"Jethro I would hate to dissapoint you but none of that makes me want to stop spending time with you. We all act differently one holidays, even me" she told him. She got up off the bed and went to stand in front of him.
"I want to see you again when you get back to D.C and you cant change my mind. I leave tomorrow and I wan to spend my last day with you because I am going to hate my life when I get back" she told him.
"Ok, but don't say I didnt warn you" he said then leaned up and kissed her.
"Now lets go back to bed and wait for the sun to come up" she said as she pulled him off the chsir and back into the bed where they cuddled until they fell back to sleep.


Kate stared out the passenger window as Jethro drove to the airport. She had dreaded this day since she started enjoying his company. She had already given him her address and home number, but he still had two weeks leave so for now it would be all work and no play.
She checked in and they went to the terminal to wait. They sat holding hands looking out the windoe at the planes coming and going, mainly little domestic planes.
"You're not happy?" he asked. She looked at him and tried to muster a smile.
"Going home to an empty apartment and a demanding job. What's to be happy about" she said litely.
"You get to sleep in your own bed. Be in a city you know, be with your friends" he said. She had to admit he had a point.
"You're right. I have just had such a great time, I don't want to go back to reality" she said looking back out the window.
"I'll call you when I get back, I promise" he whispered in her ear then kissed her cheek.
"Flight 219 is now boarding" came the announcment. Kate sighed as she grabbed her carry-on bag and stood up. Jethro also got up and walked her over to the line that was now forming. Kate stopped in her tracks, turned around and threw her arms around Jethro. She hugged him so tightly he thought his head was going to explode. There was another announcement made and she pulled back.
"I better go" she said then leaned up and kissed him. He cupped her face not wanting to let her go. Kate felt the sudden pain in her heart and pulled back out of Jethro's reach.
"I will be expecting your call" she said as she made her way to the line, then through the doors to and up the corridor to the plane. She found her seat easyly and buckled herself in. She leaned her head on the head rest and closed her eyes. She hated goodbyes of any kind. She had only known him for two weeks and already her heart felt like it was going to break. She took a calming breath and tried to think of things to distract her, like what she needed when she did the shopping, what needed to be washed and ironed ready for work.


Kate had gotten home early and got some house work done. She cooked herself a quick meal, chicken stir-fry. It was almost 9 when she decided to get ready for bed. She was in the bathroom brushing her teeth when there came a knock at her door. She stopped brushing and waited for another knock which shortly came. She padded through her apartment and opened her door. She froze when she saw the man standing there. He looked terrible but still as handsome as ever.
"I got in a few hours ago. I wanted to see you" he told her. Kate removed her tooth brush and showed him inside.
"Ive me a inute" she mumbled with tooth paste in her mouth. Jethro smiled as she disappeared into the bathroom. A few minutes later she returned tooth pasteless. "Hi" she said with a big grin.
"That was a good look for you" he joked.Kate gave a short laugh. She didnt know why but all of a sudden she felt embarressed in front of him. They havent seen in each other in two weeks and she had wanted to see him, she just didnt know how to act.
"How was the rest of your leave?" she asked as she jestured towards the living room. She sat down on the sofa and Jethro sat down next to her.
"Quiet. Hows work?" he asked her. Kate gave him a soft smile.
"Busy. Everyone has been bugging me about what I did" she told him.
"And?".
"I told them everything. Well not everything but...well you know. You know what the funny thing is, they all warned me about you" she said with a chuckle. Jethro gave her a small smile.
"And they're right. Kate we're not on holidays anymore. Things will change, I will change" he started but Kate stoppped him. She got up and straddled his lap, her arms resting on the back of the sofa.
"Stop making excuses" she said and leaned in and kissed him. Her hands left the couch and ran through his hair. His hands ran up her thighs and rested on her ass.
"I've missed you" she breathed against her lips.
"Mmm" he replied as he kissed her again. His actions spoke more then what his words ever could as he hurriedly ripped her pajama top off and tossed it away. He started kissing her chest, his hands roam over her bare back. He swiftly places Kate on her back on the sofa and he postions his body above hers. He leant down to kiss her but stopped.
"I like you Kate" he said in almost a whisper. A broad smile broke over Kate's face.
"I like you too, Jethro" she replied. He smiled.
"Good" he said the kissed her.
Chapter End Notes:
The idea came to me while reading a book.I couldnt stop thinking how well it suited Kate and Gibbs.It is very AU as Yankee White basically ner happened.

There are other chapters coming.