- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Kate has some news
Kate woke to an empty bed. She really wished she had accepted Jethro's offer to move in with him. She didnt think she would be able to stay in such a big house when he was away. She sat up and ran her hands through her hair. For the first day in weeks she felt like herself. No nausea and her boobs were normal. As she jumped out of bed her phone rang.
"Good morning" she answered not bothering to look at the caller ID.
"Morning. Did I wake you?" he asked.
"No I was just getting out of bed" she told him as she made her way to the kitchen.
"Good, but then again if you were here I would of known that and then there would be no need for me to call" he said. Kate sighed.
"You're really serious about me moving in arent you?" she said.
"Kate it has been a year and I thought you would want to move forward" he said.
"I do, I really do, but your place is so big and when your away I just wouldnt feel safe" she explained again. Jethro sighed.
"Ok, fine. I just dont like going from place to place" he said. Kate had enough.
"Alright. How about we do a week trial. If I am fine with it I will move in" she told him.
"Sounds great to me. When do you finish?" he asked.
"Uh...six I think. I'll pack some things before work and come straight to yours after work" she told him.
"Ok. Well I should get going. See you tonight" he said.
"So you then" she said and hung up.

"So are you moving in with him?" Marcy asked Kate at work.
"Not yet. It's just a trail" she explained as they sat down for lunch.
"What are you afraid. You love him dont you?" she said.
"Yes I do, but...I dont know I just have this feeling that being in the same house we might clash" she stold her friend.
"Kate you are Secret Service and he is NCIS. You guys would hardly get time together let alone time to fight. You said yourself you wish you didnt have to leave his place" she pointed out.
"I know" Kate said, now feeling like an idiot for turning him down.
"So what's the problem?" Marcy asked.
"You're right. But I still think I need the week trial" she told her.
"If you feel you need it, go ahead. So how is he by the way?" Marcy asked with a smile.
"If you mean have I seen his ugly side and want to call him a bastard, then no" she told her. Marcy laughed.
"Ok just checking" she said.

Kate was four days into her seven day trial at Jethro's place and it's her first day off in months. After kissing Jethro goodbye she got out of bed and got herself some breakfast. She couldn’t stand the silence so she went to the stereo on.
"And it's a gorgeous morning in the city on this wonderful March 15th" the announcer said. Kate stopped eating.
"Really?" she said and went to the bedroom to check the calendar.
"Bugger" she said and grabbed her organizer. She tapped and her nerves were getting the better of her.
"You have got to be kidding me" she aloud.
"Two goddamn months" she said louder. She ran to her phone and dialed a number as she paced around the kitchen.
"Dr. Cranston" she answered.
"Rach, can you talk?" Kate asked quickly.
"Sure, what's wrong?" Rachel, Kate's older sister asked.
"Uh...I'm not sure yet. I just need some advice" she started.
"Anything" Rach answered. Kate took a deep breath.
"How did you know you were pregnant? I mean besides the no period" she blurted out. Rachel paused for a moment.
"Uh, well I was quiet nauseas and my boobs became sore. But I must tell you everyone is different. Kate do you seriously think you are pregnant?" she asked. Kate's voice caught in her throat. She cleared her voice before answering.
"Yeah I do. Rach I don’t know what to do. I'm not ready for this. Jethro isn’t ready for this" she said her voice breaking.
"Hey, before you jump to any conclusions. Go down to the mall and grab a test, maybe two just in case. Then pee on the sticks and call me back ok" she told Kate calmly.
"Ok. I'll go. Thank you" Kate said.
"And Kate. If he loves you as much as you tell me he does, he will be happy" Rachel added.
"I love you" Kate said.
"Love you too. Now go" she said then hung up. Kate went to the bedroom, threw on dome clothes and left for the mall.

Kate makes her way down the aisle and quickly scans the variety of tests available.
“Crap” she says to herself. She takes a breath then picks up one box. She quickly reads the print and puts it in her basket. She grabs another one and reads it. She puts it in her basket as well. She then picks out another one just to be sure. After paying for them she hurries back home and heads to the bathroom.
“Three tests. Three positives. Great” she says to herself as she stares at the three sticks on the counter. She reaches for her phone and dials Rachel’s number again.
“So?” Rachel answered.
“All positive. What do I do?” she asked.
“Katie tell him. If you hide it from it will make things worse” she told her.
“Ok. How do I tell him? How did you tell Matt?” Kate asked.
“That was a different situation. Do dinner, sit down and talk. Kate I can’t tell you how to do this you’re going to have to do this yourself sweetie” Rachel told her. Kate left the bathroom and went and sat on the edge of the bed.
“I know, I am just worried about Jethro. I haven’t even accepted his invitation to move in and now I am having his baby” Kate’s voice breaks again.
“Kate, listen to me. Everything will be fine. Have you called mum yet?” she asked. Kate shook her head and wiped a tear away.
“No I called you first. I think I will wait a little bit longer to call them” she told her sister. Kate was too busy on the phone that she didn’t hear Jethro come in. He could hear Kate’s voice down the hall and didn’t want to disturb her. He went to the bathroom first.
“Well call me tomorrow ok. I’m busy all morning but later in the afternoon, call me when you get the chance” Rachel told her.
“Ok. If I get dumped can I call you too” she tried to joke.
“He won’t dump you” Rach said. Just then Jethro appeared in the doorway holding the three tests.
“Kate, what are these?” he asked. Kate looked up at him and saw what he had in his hand.
“Ah Rach I got to go. I will call you later” she said and hung up not waiting for a reply.
“Kate?” Jethro asked again.
“Jethro, I only did the tests today and I was going to tell you” Kate started.
“I thought you were taking birth control?” he asked.
“I was, I am. I don’t know what happened. Jethro I am so sorry” she said as she felt tears sting her eyes. She looked away from him as she wiped her eyes. He sighed and took a seat next to Kate on the bed.
“How far?” he asked quietly. Kate turned to face him, grabbed the dark blue stick from him.
“Well according to this I’m anywhere between four and five weeks” she said reading the results.
“It tells you how far you are?” he asked confused.
"It's the new thing right now" she said trying to lighten the mood. He smiled then looked to the floor.
"Kate, this is all very sudden" he started. Kate nodded. She knew just how sudden it was.
"I need time to think. I'll be in the basement" he told her. He got and made his way to the door.
"Jet?" she says softly making him stop and look back at her.
"Is lasagne ok for dinner?" she asked. He gave her a soft smile.
"Sounds good" he said then disappeared. Kate fell back on the bed and covered her face with her hands. She takes a deep breath and gets up and heads to the lounge room where the stereo still plays. She grabs a book and makes herself comfortable on the lounge.
When she looks up from her book at the clock she cant believe how late it is. She quickly gets up and starts to prepare the lasagne. After putting it in the oeven and claening up the kitchen a little bit more she goes back to reading her book, but is soon distracted by the sound of someone running up the basement steps and coming down the hall. She can feel Jethro's precence before he speaks.
"Hey" he says. She looks up at him and notices something different.
"Hi" she replies as she puts her book down on the coffee table. He quickly makes his way over to her and takes a seat. He takes a calming breath before speaking.
"I have done a lot of thinking. I have thought about all the good and bad points and funnily enough, I came up with more good then bad" he said. Kate looked at him, her voice caught in her throat and her heart racing as she waited for him to continue.
"I want to have this baby with you Kate. Yes the thought of having another child scares the hell out of me, but it's you and I love you" he tells her. It is too much for Kate and she starts to cry.
"I love you so much, Jethro. I didnt mean for this to happen" she cried. He smiled and wrapped his arms around her and pulled her to him. He kissed her head as she cried into his chest.
"It's ok. We'll be ok" he said reasuring her. She pulled to look at him through teary eyes. He wiped her face then leaned in and kissed her. She started to calm down as he held her. After a few minutes of silence he finally said.
"Dinner smells good". Kate smiled.
"It should be ready soon. Why dont you go have a shower" she suggested. He nodded his head.
"Ok" he kissed her once more then got up and headed for the bathroom. Kate wiped her face before getting up and grabbing vegetables for a small salad to accompany the lasagne.
She plated the salad and started to clean the bench when she felt two arms wrap around her and two hands on her stomach.
"It smells really good" he said then placed a soft kiss on her neck.
"I just hope it tastes good" she replied. Jethro turned her around so she was facing.
"You're the best cook I know" he said then kissed her.
"What can I do?" he asked.
"Get the drinks" she said with a smile. He kissed her once more before heading for the fridge. Kate grabbed the ovens mist and took the lasagne out of the oven.
"Juice ok?" he asked.
"Juice is fine". He grabbed two cups and placed them on the table. Kate dished up the lasagne and brought it the table. Jethro thanked her and then started to eat.
"Its really good" he commented still chewing. Kate laughed.
"Good to know" she said. After a moments silence Kate approached the subjects that were running through her head.
"I've been thinking. When are we going to tell everyone?" she asked softly.
"When ever you want. I would like to tell Ducky of course" he said stabbing a tomato.
"That's fine. Well I'm having lunch with Abby on Saturday so could I tell her then, if you can keep it a secret that long" she said with a laugh.
"You know me, I'm great at keeping secrets" he smiled.
"And then there's the problem of telling my parents" she said as Jethro started to clear the table. She saw him freeze for a moment.
"And why should that be a problem?" he asked as he continued to the sink. Deep down he already knew why it would be a problem, but wanted to hear it from her.
"Well, for starters they havent met you, they are very religious and there's that tiny fact that we arent married and having a baby" she said as she put the juice back in the fridge.
"Kate, I'm not going to marry you just because you're parents have some rule about starting a family" he said seriously.
"And I don't expect you to. All I ask is for your help in trying to tell them" she explained.
"What? You want to go and tell them in person?" he asked. He didn’t like where this was going at all. Kat gave a small shrug of her shoulders.
"Well yeah. They would react better if it wasn’t over the phone and they actually got to meet the father" she pointed out.
"Ok, fine. Whatever you think is best" he said with a dismissive wave of his hands.
"Thank you. When can you get away from work?" she asked. He gave a soft sigh.
"I'll sort something out with the director. Now what are you going to do about work?" he asked as he led her to the lounge room and they sat on the lounge cuddled up together.
"Well I have to tell them first thing tomorrow. No doubt they will be happy, but having me off the detail will be a big loss for them" she said.
"I agree. Will you be happy?” he asked as he stroked her arm.
“I guess I have to be. I’ll still be doing what I love, just not as full on” she answers. He leans down and kisses her head.
“I think it’s time for bed” he said. She nodded her head and got up off the lounge. She stood in front of him and pulled him off the lounge. He stood in front of her and wrapped his arms around her.
"I love you" he whispered in her ear.
"I lve you too" she replied. She leaned up and kissed him then led him to the bedroom.