- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Bets are on for the sex of the baby.
Jethro’s stood from his desk and started to pack up.
"Where we going boss?" Tony asked as he looked up at him.
"Nowhere. I got an appointment" he said stepping out from his desk.
"Oh right, Kate's ultrasound. She said they can tell the sex of the child now" McGee said with a smile. Both Tony and Jethro looked at him.
"What? We talk" he said defensively. Jethro shook his head then continued on.
"Good luck boss" Tony called out. When Jethro entered the elevator Tony turned back to McGee.
"You talk to Kate about her pregnancy?" he questioned.
"Yeah. My cousin had a baby a few months back, so I give Kate some advice. Well from what my cousin told me anyway" McGee told him. Tony rolled his eyes.
"Right" he said and sat back in his seat. They were joined by Abby.
"Hey, has Gibbs left yet?" she asked.
"Yeah, bout five minutes ago" Tony answered.
"Good. So what do you think they will have?" she asked them.
"I think a boy" McGee answered first. Tony shook his head.
"No way. I reckon it's a girl" he said.
"Ok, so how much do you want to bet?" Abby asked. Tony and McGee looked at each other.
"Wait, what do you think they are having?" McGee asked. Abby smiled.
"Twins of course" she said happily. Tony and McGee laughed.
"Ok I'm in. Twenty bucks" Tony said.
"Sure, why not" McGee added.
"Great" Abby said as she took a seat at Jethro's desk.


Kate laid on the table with her shirt up. Jethro stood next to her holding her hand.
"You ok?" he asked. She nodded. He leaned down and kissed her forehead.
"Good morning. How are you feeling?" Julie asked.
"Good. I actually slept last night" Kate replied with a little laugh.
"Oh I know how that feels" Julie said.
"Ok, so let’s get started. This will be a little cold for forgive me" she said as she squeezed the clear gel onto Kate's enlarged stomach. She jumped a little but the temperature was ok. Julie then started the ultrasound and Kate and Jethro turned to look at the screen. They saw many things of which they had no idea what was what.
"Ok" Julie said as she started pressing buttons. Her face widened in surprise.
"What? What's wrong?" Kate asked noticing Julie's facial expression.
"Everything's fine. Except" she trailed off as she focused on the screen.
"Except?" Kate prompted. Julie took the probe away from Kate's belly and turned the screen so they could see it better.
"See here. This is your baby's. And then here is an arm" she pointed out. Kate smiled. She could feel it inside her, but seeing it was all too much.
"And right here, is another head" Julie pointed. Kate looked to Julie in shook. Jethro couldn’t say anything. He was still staring at the screen.
"Are you saying I'm....we are having twins?" she asked. Julie nodded.
"You most definitely are having twins" she said with a smile. Kate stared at the screen. She didn’t know if it was good or bad news. Of course it was good, she thought. But do we have the room?.
"Would you like to know the sex?" Julie then asked.
"No"
"Yes" Kate and Jethro answered together. They looked at each other.
"Could you gives a minute?" Jethro asked. Julie smiled and got up.
"Sure" when she was gone Jethro turned back to Kate.
"I thought we agreed we would find out" he said.
"I know. But now I'm not sure if I want to know" she told him.
"Kate we are having twins. We need to know what we are having" he looked at her confused face and sighed.
"I want to know if we are having Lauren and Nicole or Toby and Henry or if its Lauren and Toby" he told her. She nodded with a smile.
"Ok. I guess it will make it easier for shopping too" she said with a little laugh.
"Of course" he said then leaned down and kissed her.
"You guys ready?" Julie asked as she walked back in. Jethro stood back up, his grip tighter on Kate's hand.
"We would like to know" Kate nodded. Julie smiled.
"Great. Let’s see shall we" she said as she grabbed the probe, added more gel and continued.
"Ok so you have a little boy" she said pausing to give them a look at their son. Then continued.
"And...a little girl. Congratulations" Julie said with a smile as hung up the probe.
"Oh my god" Kate gasped.
"I take it you're very happy" Julie said noting Kate's smile and tears. Kate nodded in response.
"Could we get a picture of that?" Jethro asked.
"Sure. Will only take a minute" she said. Kate looked up Jethro. She was having trouble reading his face.
"Are you happy?" she asked. He looked down at her as a smile broke out over his face.
"Of course I'm happy" he leaned down and kissed her.
"I love you" he said.
"I love you too" she said and kissed him again.
"Here you go" Julie said handing Jethro two print outs of their boy and their girl. She hand Kate some paper towel to wipe off the gel.
"Thank you" Jethro said as he held the pictures.
"You’re welcome. So all you need to do now is make another appointment and take it easy" Julie said. Jethro helped Kate off the bench and she fixed her top and hair.
"Thank you" Kate said with a smile as Jethro led her out of the room.


Abby, McGee and Tony sat waiting for Jethro to return with the results. Abby was swinging in Jethro's chair, her patience wearing thin.
"Oh this is taking way too long" she said jumping up from the chair.
"How long does it take to do an ultrasound anyway" she said pacing the bullpen.
"Well I for one wouldn’t have a clue" Tony commented.
"Oh about 30 minutes, give or take" Kate said as her and Jethro walked up to the bullpen. Abby spun around and squealed when she saw Kate.
"Oh my god" she said as she went and wrapped her arms around her.
"Geese Kate, you're huge" commented Tony. Abby let go of her and turned to Tony.
"You shut your mouth. She is gorgeous" she points a finger. Then turns back to Kate.
"Pregnancy really works for you".
"So how did it go?" McGee asked with a smile. A smile spread across both Kate and Jethro's face.
"It went perfectly" Kate told him. Jethro then held up the two pictures they got of the ultrasound and Abby quickly snatched them from him.
"Oh my god, oh my god. It's so tiny. What is it?" Abby asked looking up at them.
"It's a boy" Jethro said happily.
"I was right" McGee said standing up and going to look at the picture in Abby's hand.
"And a girl" Kate added.
"Haha so I'm right" Tony said. Abby looked at the pictures, one at a time before a smile also appeared on her face.
"No, it's twins. I win" she said happily. Tony and McGee reached for their wallets.
"You guys actually bet on what we were having?" Kate asked.
"You seem surprised" Jethro said then kissed her cheek.
"Come on. We have to go see Ducky" he said as he took Kate's hand and the pictures from Abby and they left the bullpen.