- Text Size +
Olivia looked up at her mom when she walked into her room. Olivia’s bed was covered with college catalogs. Sallie pushed them aside and sat down. “So….”

“What?” Olivia asked, smiling.

Sallie smiled back. It went well, she could tell. She wanted to hear all about it. “What? You know what.”

“He…I went to his office and I told him and he…he accepted me. He told me he was glad I had told him. He told me that there was no way I could disrupt his life.” Olivia paused. “We did the DNA thing. I knew he would want to, no big deal. We did it right there in the building. One of his co-workers is the lab tech there. She, oh, mom you should meet her. She’s a Goth. Her name is Abby and she is really, really sweet. She and Dad…” Olivia paused. “That’s the second time I have called him Dad today. I liked it.”

“What is Tony’s nickname for you? He has nicknames for everybody.”

“Baby Girl, what was yours?” Olivia asked.

“Smurfette.” Sallie stated. She was a natural blonde and she loved wearing the color blue.

Olivia laughed. “I can see that.”

Sallie looked at the mound of college catalogs on her daughter’s bed. She picked up one at random. “Have you sent in your roommate request yet?”

Olivia shook her head. “It’s so complicated now, Mom. It’s…it’s bad enough I have to leave you, and dad, and Jeremy and Crystal. Now…Tony…I…I just started a relationship with him. I just…. I will be graduating in another month. I will be leaving for college in August. I know how this goes. I will get busy with classes. I’ll barely have time to come home to see you. Where will I find the time to see him? And it’s not like he can just drive up to see me. It’s 7 hours away. I…I don’t know how I can do all this.”

Sallie smiled. “First of all, I and I know Tony, will be very honored you are going to Ohio State. Secondly, I think he would drive to California to see you, if he had to. Ohio is not that far away.”

Olivia sighed as she leafed through the Ohio State catalog. “So much to do, I don’t even have a major. I don’t know what I want to do with my life. I…I’m a mess.”

“You, my precious daughter, are a typical college student.” Sallie stated. “It took me a semester or two to figure things out. We’ll get you sighed up for some general courses and go from there.”

Sallie noticed the Olivia was quiet. She waited for Olivia to speak her mind.

“Tony/Dad…what do I call him? What does Dad think? I mean, two dads. It’s got to be weird for him. He tells me it’s ok. But…does he really understand why I needed to find Tony? I mean, does he REALLY understand?”

Sallie nodded. “He does, Baby, I really think he does.”

“You were right about him, by the way. Tony, Dad…DaddyT…” Olivia paused. “…I like that, DaddyT.”

“That’s cute. I think Tony will like it.” Sallie sighed. “He came to see me.”

Olivia looked at her mom, surprised. “He did?”

Sallie nodded. “He was upset. I knew he would be. But...I did what I thought was best for him and for you, Olivia. I promise you I did.”

“I know you did, Mom.” Olivia leaned over and hugged her mom.

“Oh, back to your story…” Sallie patted her daughter’s arm. “…you were telling me about someone named Abby.”

Olivia nodded. “Yes, she was funny, Mom. She was jumping around the room. She…she kept looking back and forth, between me and dad. She realized quickly why I was there. She, she was so happy for Tony. She’s a hugger. She gave me a huge hug. I thought she wasn’t going to let go. She…Dad had to tell her to let go. He had to swear her to secrecy. She…she didn’t like that. She said she couldn’t keep secrets from Dad’s boss. He…I met him the first time I went to see Tony. He…I can see why…there’s just something about him. It’s like he can see through you. He’s very intimidating. Well, I think he is intimidating to a lot of people, but not to me.”

Olivia paused and looked at her mom. She hugged Sallie again. “We’ll know the lab results in about a week.” Olivia broke the hug and looked at her mom. “Tony is really happy with his life now. I…I think he appreciates what you did. I really do. I know I appreciate it. I have a great family. I…I just think Tony, DaddyT will only add to that.”

TBC