- Text Size +
Chapter 4 â€" In the Nick of Time

Could they all stand there… could he really stand here and watch Abby being raped in front of them all, while they stood by, helpless to stop it?

Gibbs felt Fornell's hand grip his shoulder tightly, wordlessly trying to convey his support, knowing Tobias felt as helpless as he did as they stared at the screen.

He heard Ziva's own indrawn hiss of breath and glanced across at her, taking a moment to worry about the reminders of Somalia this would invoke. She'd never discussed in detail what had happened to her at the hands of Saleem and his men, but he wasn't naĂŻve enough to assume she'd made it through the months in captivity without being violated. As tough as she was, Gibbs wished he could have spared Ziva this inevitable stirring up of unpleasant memories as she faced the sight of her friend in danger.

Ziva met his gaze briefly, acknowledging his concern. "They must get to her in time, Gibbs," her simple statement conveying far more than the words themselves.

They both turned back to the screen in time to see Abby spit at the Phantom in response to his comments about buying another night of life, followed by her quiet comment, "Look at that."

"Yeah, and look at this," came the rejoinder from the killer as he drew an axe out from underneath the pillow.

What was Gibbs thinking? That it couldn't get any worse?

Oh yeah, it could get a lot worse.

Dragging his eyes away from the axe, Gibbs' attention was drawn to the fingers of Abby's right hand which were beginning to twitch. Presumably whatever the bastard had drugged her with was starting to wear off. Suddenly caught by the familiarity of what he's seeing, it nevertheless takes him a few seconds to make the connection.

When it dawns on him, he leans forward to shout into the phone, "Zoom in on her right hand, Eric. She's signing."

Eric's reply is quick, "Yeah, I see it, Gibbs." The picture zooms in to lose the main picture but concentrates on Abby's hand which is starting to form more recognizable signs. "I can't make it out clearly, her spelling is sluggish."

"Well, it would be if she's still drugged," Tony broke in impatiently.

"You read sign, Eric?" asks Nate, curious about a new facet of the young agent.

"Since I was seven," replied Eric, quietly, trying to concentrate on what he was seeing.

Finally having something positive to concentrate on, Gibbs elaborated, "She's finger spelling."

More familiar with the style of Abby's signing than Eric, Gibbs is the first to make out what she's signing, "Noise… something."

Eric sounds frustrated. "I can't read. It's like when someone's mumbling. Her fingers are slurred."

Wishing Eric would shut up so he could concentrate, Gibbs's eyes narrowed as he strained to make out the individual letters.

"Construction…? " queried Eric.

The signs suddenly clicked in Gibbs' mind, "Construction noise."

"Then start looking for construction sites," interjected Hetty, urgently.

Calling up the map on screen, Eric directs Callen and Sam, as he zooms the picture back out again so they can also keep an eye on where the Phantom is, or more importantly, what he's doing with that axe. "Callen, there's a warehouse on the corner of 6th and Ardmore owned by Smith, construction down the block."

They heard Callen confirm, "On our way," as they saw the Phantom sit back down on the bed, hand still on the axe.

"The truth is, you're just not smart enough for me, Abby." Unable to keep the gloating note out of his voice, he continued, "Because you're there and I'm here. And now the great forensic specialist dies without any evidence of her killer. And it will be fun for me, Abby."

Gibbs tried to ignore the twisting in his gut as he half listened to the Phantom's threats, concentrating on Abby's continued finger spelling.

"I've almost got the second half of the message. Noise…" mused Eric.

Gibbs cut in, irritation evident in his voice, "Doors is the next word."

Eric sounded puzzled, "Doors? Noise… doors."

They could hear Sam and Callen discussing how to get into the warehouse door when Eric suddenly shouted, "Guys, stop."

At the same time they heard Sam caution, "Wire."

As it dawned on Gibbs what Abby was signing, he was terse, "Booby… trapped." He leaned forward to add urgency to his shout, "Callen, the doors are booby-trapped."

Still sounding calm, despite the pressure he must be feeling, Callen asked, "So how are we getting in, Eric?"

There was a pause before Eric came back with, "Okay, skylight fire escape north side."

McGee's urgent, "Boss" drew their attention back to the screen where the Phantom could be seen getting up off the bed.

"I'll leave, trip the door fuse remotely, place will go kaboom and the Phantom remains traceless," he boasted.

Abby's tone was defiant, almost derisory, "You're not traceless." Gibbs exchanged a look with DiNozzo as he marveled at how in control she seemed

The Phantom picked up the axe, hefting its weight in his hands, replying almost scornfully, "Oh, come on, Abby. You know butane burns hot enough to destroy evidence."

"You have my teeth marks in your fingers… Creep."

Tony burst out with, "Teeth marks? When did she bite him?"

Ziva's voice was quiet, "Or rather, what did he do to provoke Abby into biting him?" Trying not to let his imagination fill in the blanks associated with that statement, Gibbs looked back at the screen as they heard Callen and Sam arrive at the skylight, discussing how to get down into the room.

For God's sake, Callen, just do it… just get down there.

He watched in horror, dread lodging in his stomach as Abby's final goading pushed the Phantom too far.

He heard Tony's muttered "They're going to be too late" as the Phantom began moving towards Abby, "I saved the white woman in her late twenties for you. You should be honored," taking an experimental swing with the axe.

Fornell hated the look of despair in Abby's eyes as she saw the killer approach, perhaps realizing she'd gone too far.

Gibbs couldn't tear his eyes away from Abby's pale face as she closed her eyes, an almost resigned expression settling over her features. He could see her trying to strain every sinew, trying to get immobile muscles to work. Eyes drawn to her right hand which was frantically signing again, he saw her form a familiar I love you even as he heard her cry out, "Gibbs."

The temptation to close his own eyes so he wouldn't see her die right in front of him was so great that Gibbs almost succumbed to it. But he forced his eyes to stay open as the Phantom pulled back the axe to complete the swing, aiming towards the left side of Abby's neck.

They were all going to be too late.