- Text Size +
Chapter 5 â€" Release of Tension

The Phantom pulled back the axe to complete the swing, aiming towards the left side of Abby's neck.

They were all going to be too late.


Instinct propelled him forward a few steps as the scene unfolded in front of him, even though there was nothing he could do. Gibbs was grateful for Fornell's hand gripping his shoulder, both riveted to the screen.

McGee surged to his feet, an anguished cry of "Abby" torn from his lips.

They could hear Eric frantically shouting, "Guys, gotta go now!"

The next few seconds were a blur of motion; from the sound of crashing coming from the skylight, glass showering down onto Abby, to the sudden arrival of Callen dropping into view behind Abby's chair, gun drawn.

The sound of gunshots filled the air and they saw the Phantom falling, the axe clattering to the ground, missing Abby by inches. Her eyes flew open and her breathing changed to panicky gasping as chaos erupted around her, before she registered the change from staring imminent death in the face to the killer sprawled on the floor in front of her, dead.

Frozen to the spot, unable to comprehend at first that Abby was safe and that Callen had arrived in the nick of time, Gibbs vaguely registered Tony cursing loudly, as much with relief as a way to release the tension. He unclenched his hands from the back of the chair in front of him, hands rigid and stiff from the tension.

McGee had slumped back into his chair, head in his hands and Fornell turned away, hands running through his hair as tension drained out of all of them. In the background, they could hear the relieved comments coming from the LA team.

Gibbs felt Ziva's hand on his arm and turned to see her concerned face. "Are you okay, Gibbs?"

He nodded, unable to speak for the moment.

Gibbs turned back to the screen to see Callen untangle himself from…. was that a rope or a fire hose? He saw his friend approach the Phantom, gun still drawn. They watched as he kicked the killer's leg and when there was no response, Callen holstered his gun before turning to Abby, who still sat immobile, her chest heaving as she tried to catch her breath.

Callen leant down level with Abby's face to meet her green gaze, his hand on the back of her chair. The audio feed was still functioning and they heard him ask, gently, "You okay?"

Abby's voice sounded small and almost uncertain for the first time, "Yeah. Thank you G. Callen.

Callen patted her hand. "You're welcome Abby Scuito."

The team watched as he moved closer, examining her arms and shoulders, brushing off slivers of glass. Shaking out a handkerchief from his pocket, Callen pressed it against her neck and cheek, wiping away what looked like blood before pressing it more firmly against her forearm.

Tony voiced what they could all see, "Flying glass must have cut her."

Abby's voice broke in, urgently asking, "Callen, I need to speak to Gibbs. I need to tell him I'm okay. He'll be worrying. Can you ring him… please Callen, I can't wait."

Flipping open his phone, Gibbs had started dialing before Abby even finished speaking and on screen, they saw Callen grab for his phone. Looking up at the camera with a rueful glance, he leaned down again to show Abby the caller display.

"Wow, I see his ESP's working okay."

Callen shook his head, "He's been watching the video feed, Abby."

Abby closed her eyes briefly as she absorbed that news, "Oh."

"Gibbs and his team were on their way here but their plane hasn't left DC yet," Callen explained as he accepted the call and held the handset to Abby's ear, straightening up to at least give her the semblance of privacy as she spoke to Gibbs.

Not till he heard her smoky voice drifting into his ear did he really believe his Abbs was okay and that the nightmare was over.

"Gibbs?"

Gibbs kept his eyes on the screen image of her, unable to tear his eyes away, "Abby, are you hurt?"

Never was he more thankful to hear her start one of her trademark babbles. "Gibbs, I'm okay. I know you were coming to save me. But these guys, they were amazing, really. I mean... you should see what they can do with a fire hose."

Gibbs felt a smile curl his lips for the first time in what felt like forever. "I know, Abbs, we saw. I'm still coming to get you."

As if hearing his voice was finally unravelling her self control, he heard her voice start to quiver, "Oh, Gibbs... Hurry... I... I need you."

Unable to say what he really wanted to in front of an audience and unable to comfort her as really he wished, he settled for promising, "I'll be there as soon as I can," knowing it was woefully inadequate.

While Gibbs was on the phone, Tony's cell rang and he winced when he saw the caller ID. "Yes, Director Vance?" he answered, rolling his eyes at Ziva and moving away out of earshot.

Vance's irritated voice filled his ear, "Agent DiNozzo, I can't get hold of Gibbs. His cell goes straight to voicemail."

Tony glanced over at his boss, but kept his voice low, "He's speaking to Abby, Director."

"Then he knows… you all know that she's safe?"

"We've been watching the video feed, so yeah, we know she's safe, thanks to Callen and Sam." Tony didn't like to think what they'd now be facing if Callen had been even a few seconds later.

"Yeah, it was a close shave… too close." Vance's voice sounded hoarse. Whatever the team might think of him, Tony at least realized that nearly losing one of his own was likely to put tremendous strain on the head of the agency... not to mention triple the paperwork.

"Did you see the feed too, Director?" Tony was curious how closely he'd followed the events in LA.

"Yeah, I saw it." Vance sighed and allowed a beat to pass before changing the subject. "As much as this has been a stressful time for your team, I need you back at the Navy Yard right away. You've caught a case, call dispatch for the details."

"Okay, I'll give them a call. Er, I think Gibbs…"

"You don't have to say it, DiNozzo. I can already guess. He's going to LA." Vance's voice was resigned with an undercurrent of annoyance. The Director might have a hell of a poker face but Tony had had enough practice by now to be able to read his voice, usually made easier if… or rather, when Gibbs managed to piss Vance off… not an unusual occurrence.

"Yeah, I think he is. Do you want to talk to him? He's just finishing his call," Tony asked.

"No, there's no need. We had our… discussion about him going to LA earlier. I don't imagine much has changed even now Abby is safe. He can take it as personal time." Tony was intrigued by Vance's grasp of the situation… it hinted at him knowing, or guessing, more than Gibbs would probably be comfortable revealing about his reaction to Abby's situation.

"Okay, I'll tell him."

"I don't imagine even Gibbs can convince the FBI to let him hijack their plane now that the danger to Abby is passed. I've already had him booked on the lunchtime flight to LA. He can pick the ticket up at the desk." There was a pause before Vance continued, weariness evident in his voice. "I think in these circumstances, we can put the plane ride on the agency dime. Tell him… tell him to bring her home."

Tony looked at the phone after Vance had disconnected. Wow, the Director must be feeling really guilty about Abby.

Unaware of his Director cutting him some slack, Gibbs watched as Callen put his arm around Abby as she started to cry. He bent over, pulling her into a hug made awkward by the fact that he was still standing while Abby remained in the chair, unable to move.

Callen hesitated only briefing before bending to put an arm under Abby's legs and his other arm around her waist. Straightening, he hoisted her up, settling her more securely in his arms as she was unable to hold onto him, and turned towards the bed.

"No, G. I… I don't want to lie on the bed. Don't put me down there."

Oh, Abbs…

Gibbs felt his heart breaking at the slight note of panic in her tearful voice. She sounded more scared now the danger was passed than she had when facing down the Phantom so bravely.

Callen turned, still holding her and sat on the bed himself, back to the camera and settled her in his lap. He wrapped his arms more firmly around her waist, supporting her weight so there was no danger of her slipping off his lap as she couldn't yet help to anchor herself. Her fingers were twitching and her hands were able to clench but it was obvious she still couldn't move her arms.

She could now turn her head though and Gibbs saw her lean her head against Callen, burying her face in his neck. He watched as Callen cradled her, rocking her gently, one hand coming up to stroke her hair, all of them hearing him start to murmur to Abby but not able to make out the quiet words of comfort.

Gibbs ached to hold her. To be where Callen was now.

Tony's voice filled the silence.

"She shouldn't have been alone, boss. She should never have been allowed to go to that club with only Eric with her. Hell, she should never have been allowed to go to LA alone. It should be a new rule. Whenever Abby goes outside the state, goes anywhere on agency business, an agent should go with her."

Seeing Gibbs' hand move out of the corner of his eye, he braced himself for the expected head slap but was startled instead when Gibbs' hand gripped the back of his neck and squeezed warmly.

"I know, Tony. I know." Gibbs held Tony's gaze, trying to reassure him.

He released Tony and reached for his phone again, mentally head slapping himself that he hadn't dialled Ducky straight away. His ME would be frantic if he hadn't been linked into the feed and he may not know Abby was safe.

Ducky answered on the second ring, his worry evident in his voice, "Jethro, is there any news?"

"She's safe, Duck. Callen got to her in time." Gibbs turned and sat down, rubbing his free hand over his face, tiredness sweeping through him.

He could hear the relief in his friend's voice. "Oh, thank God, Jethro. Was she hurt?"

"She says not but I'll be happier when she's been checked over at the hospital. We think she was drugged."

Ducky's voice was tight with anger as he replied, "The bastard." He paused while he grasped for control. "Is he dead?"

Gibbs told him. "Yeah, Duck. Callen shot him."

"Good."

"I need you to view the video feed, Ducky. You need to see what she went through," sighed Gibbs, knowing how Ducky would react before he could finish his explanation.

And sure enough, his friend's horrified, "Jethro...?" interrupted him.

"No, Duck, nothing like that..." Gibbs knew it would take too long to explain and he still needed reassurance himself that she was indeed okay after her ordeal, so he just settled for telling him, "Just take a look at the footage will ya?"

"Of course. I'll talk to Vance straight away." Ducky paused. "Are you still going to LA?" already knowing the answer.

"You bet I am, Duck. I'll call you when I've seen her."

While Tony and Gibbs were on the phone, McGee and Ziva had liaised with Eric and Sam and were able to update Gibbs and Tony on the rapidly moving aftermath.

As he explained, McGee looked equally absorbed by the view of Abby being held by Callen and Gibbs couldn't find it in himself to be angry at his young agent's distraction. "Paramedics are on the way, but they might have to go in via the same skylight, Boss."

Ziva nodded. "The bomb squad has arrived but it will take them some time to clear a safe path through all the doors, even if it proves to be a straightforward task to disarm the booby traps."

McGee continued, "It may be safer if they can get Abby out through the skylight before the Paramedics get here."

"And quickly." Ziva picked up the thread, "If the whole place is wired, as the Phantom claimed, then it would only take one mistake by the bomb squad for the place to go up. They need to get them both out of there as soon as possible." She glanced at her teammates. "The fire service are on the scene and they are rigging something up now to get them out of the skylight."

Fornell joined them as they absorbed this new information and threat. "I'll feel happier when they're both out of there."

"You and me both, Tobias," Gibbs shot him a look, not sure how much more tension any of them could take.

While they waited, Gibbs turned his attention back to the screen, unable to tear his eyes away from Abby. He could see her hands flexing and she seemed to be regaining some movement in her arms.

She was trying to raise her arms and Callen reached down to grip one of her hands in his, lacing their fingers together. Abby slowly moved her other arm until she could bring her hand to the back of Callen's shirt, where she gripped the fabric, clinging onto him. Her head was now nestled on his shoulder and her tears seemed to have subsided but Callen was still cradling her head, holding her close.

Gibbs told himself it was petty of him to feel jealous at the scene in front of him. She needed comfort, he knew how she thrived on physical contact and he should be glad Callen was there to provide it.

It wasn't long before the fire service were able to rig up a harness and they watched as Abby was hoisted up out of the room, closely followed by Callen, finally safely on her way to hospital.

Tony moved up next to Gibbs as they turned away from the screen and told him about the call from Vance.

Fornell cut in. "He's right, Gibbs. I doubt I can swing it for you to hitch a ride on this plane any more, but it sounds as if you don't need it."

Tony commented, "Wonder why Vance is getting soft?" Gibbs didn't reply, privately wondering what the payback would be.

"I'll give you a ride to the airport," offered Fornell.

Gibbs shook his head. "I can take my car, Tobias."

Fornell snorted, "Huh, your driving's lethal enough at the best of times, Jethro. You look exhausted and Abby will kill me if you finally kill yourself behind the wheel. Don't argue. I'm driving."

Tony tried not to sound too eager, "I can drive your car to the Navy Yard, Boss, or back home."

Ziva came over, interrupting Tony before he could get in his stride, "Or I could."

"Oh come on, Ziva. The Boss wants his car in one piece," scoffed Tony, always read to rise to the bait.

"As our driving techniques are," Ziva glanced at Gibbs, eyes alight with mischief, "similar, I'm sure his car would respond more to my touch than yours, Tony. I will take good care of her, Gibbs."

Gibbs suppressed a smile as the pair bantered back and forth, knowing full well what they were doing in trying to lighten the atmosphere.

Fornell looked on, not bothering to hide his smirk. It was at times like this that they looked more like a family than a team of highly trained agents. Watching each other's sixes was an ingrained response now for all of them, both physically and emotionally.

Gibbs looked from one to the other and eventually tossed his keys to Tony, who grabbed his bag and practically ran down the steps of the plane, eager to get behind the wheel of the Challenger for the first time.

Ziva watched him go with an indulgent smile before turning to Gibbs. "Bring her home, Gibbs." Gibbs nodded and gave her a half smile in thanks as she left.

Outside in the bright sunshine on the tarmac, Ziva caught up with Tony just as he was circling Gibbs' car, practically drooling. He looked up as she approached, sobering instantly. "He'll be okay, won't he?"

Ziva knew he needed reassurance as much as they all did. "He'll be fine when he gets there. She will need him."

Tony looked thoughtful as he glanced back at the plane. "Are you sure you don't mean they'll need each other, Ziva