- Text Size +
I don’t know if you can see me from wherever you are but, in case you can’t, I should probably tell you.
When you and your mom died (which was nearly six years ago, now) I started drinking and could barely function outside the house whenever I wasn’t at work.
Before I officially started at NIS (which is now NCIS) Franks found out who killed the agent who was driving the van you guys were in. In the transitional time between being a Marine and going to FLETC, I went to Mexico. Pedro Hernandez died the same day I got there.
When I got back, I started officially as Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs. Then, Mike introduced me to Ginger. We started dating a few months after we met and, a few months after that, we got married.
So, I know I told you I would never try to replace your mom. But I didn’t know what else to do.
Ginger doesn’t know about you guys either (for the same reason I didn’t tell Ducky). But that made it hard when she couldn’t understand why I wasn’t willing to get too close as quickly as she wanted me to. A year after we started dating she gave me an ultimatum: break up or get married.
Worst decision ever. I couldn’t love her like I did your mom and I couldn’t tell her about you two. I just didn’t think I could trust her.
She thought I was cheating on her ��" which I totally wasn’t, I was actually working ��" so, after a year, she left me.
Wasn’t Ginger the name of that lawyer whose client put out a hit on Abby? Tony shrugged. That’s probably why he doesn’t like lawyers.
****************
So, the reason I’m telling you all this is because my second ex-wife (I got married about a year and a half after Ginger left me) just left my sort-of friend, Tobias.
I tried to warn him that she would leave him broke and alone like she did me but he wouldn’t listen. Although, technically, Diane didn’t leave him alone. They have a two-year-old daughter named Emily.
I’m not sure what happened with them ��" they seemed happy to me ��" but I don’t think they’re even going to try to fix what they had.
***************
I’m not completely unlucky, though.
You see, we got a new member on the team since Agent O’Halloran went to be Agent Afloat. It’s the first time that I’ve worked around a woman with a gun. Very unsettling.
Tony started to picture Jenny in his head as he read through his boss’s description of their late director. Gibbs seemed so happy as he recounted some stories about their adventures in Paris.
He didn’t expect things to go south so quickly though. Sure, he’d known that Stephanie had married him after Jenny left, but he didn’t know the whole story it seemed.
I had hoped that, one day, you would find someone who you loved. I knew that along the way you’d, unfortunately, get your heart broken but still leave a few broken hearts in your wake.
But I am very glad you never had to write or get a Dear John letter. They suck.
Jenny left him with a Dear John letter?! Tony thought. No wonder they acted so weird when she came back. That’s the worst way to have someone dump you.
I’m sorry, baby girl, Tony read Gibbs apologize yet again. I tried to…well, not really replace your mom…but, I guess that’s what I ended up trying and failing to do. Please don’t hate me.