- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Vance is a real piece of work in this one...Season 7-ish
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs & His Team learn the true meaning of Christmas.
Author’s Note: Takes place sometime during season 7.

Disclaimer: Not mine. Only own the idea.

Greatest Gift
by WCUGirl

“DiNozzo,” Gibbs snapped as he walked up on where his agent was lying in the snow in the parking lot at NCIS.

“Boss,” Tony groaned as he tried to stand finding the pain prevented the movement.

“Dammit DiNozzo,” Gibbs growled as he put Tony’s arm around his neck and hauled him to his feet. Gibbs managed to get younger man down to autopsy without any problems. When Tony didn’t put up an argument, Gibbs knew he was in significant pain.

Taking his time to examine and x-ray the knee, Ducky diagnosed Tony with a severe sprain.

“You’ve banged it up pretty good dear boy,” Ducky said softly as he drew up the medication to relieve Tony’s misery. “There you are, dear boy, give that medication some time to work and you’ll start to feel a bit better soon.”

Ducky withdrew the syringe from Tony DiNozzo’s arm and smiled sympathetically at the younger man.

“I do want you to get a MRI of that knee as soon as possible, I will set it up.” Ducky fussed for a couple more minutes wrapping and bracing the knee. “Do be careful; that knee is going to be painful for a few days.”

“Come on DiNozzo,” Gibbs said gently, and helped the younger man off the examination table. “Desk duty for you.”

Tony groaned, but didn’t protest. It was still snowing and he didn’t have any desire to go wrench his knee again. He’d managed to escape having surgery in college; but he wasn’t sure he’d manage that twice. The two agents stepped onto the elevator and Tony leaned gratefully against the wall.

“Can’t believe how much snow is out there,” Tony commented idly as the elevator rose.

Gibbs reached out and punched the emergency stop button on the elevator. “Care to explain why you thought it would be a good idea to wear those fancy dress shoes in eight inches of snow with several inches of ice underneath it knowing there’s always a chance we’ll be outside with a case?”

Tony blinked. He could feel the pain medication coursing through his system, and though Ducky was careful to administer medications that had mild side effects to him, they still made him loopy.

“Wasn’t thinkin,” was the best answer he could come up with.

“That much is obvious,” Gibbs snapped. “Don’t need you on desk duty; I need you on field duty.”

Tony dropped his gaze. “Sorry Boss,” he said quietly.

“You’re of no use to me like this,” Gibbs snapped, hitting the button to start the elevator again. He immediately realized what he said, regretted it, and turned to look at Tony, hitting the button to stop the elevator again.

“Tony I�"”

Tony’s jaw was set firm but hurt flashed in his eyes. “Rule number six Boss,” Tony snapped. “I made a bad decision; I have to live with the consequences.” He reached out and started the elevator again. When the door opened at the bullpen, Tony shrugged off Gibbs’ offer of help and limped into the bullpen on his own.

xxx

“Gear up we have a case,” Gibbs called as he grabbed his badge, gun and keys from the desk drawer. He shot a look at Tony who kept his gaze firmly fixed on the computer screen in front of him.

“DiNozzo,” Gibbs waited until Tony looked at him before continuing. He handed the younger agent a slip of paper. “Petty Officer Raymond Stevens,” Gibbs said. “See what you can dig up on him.”

“He our perp or the victim?”

“Victim.”

“On it Boss,” Tony said dejectedly, plucking the paper from Gibbs’ fingers and setting it on his desk.

“Tony…”

“Something you needed Special Agent Gibbs?” Tony still didn’t look at him and Gibbs knew that was because of what he’d said to the younger agent in the elevator earlier.

“Take it easy on that knee Tony,” Gibbs said softly. “If you need to take a break head down to Abby’s lab or Ducky’s office.”

“I’m not a toddler Gibbs,” Tony snapped, finally turning to look at his boss. “I’m your senior field agent. You know what that means?” At Gibbs’ silence Tony shot him an evil smirk. “It means that I’m a big boy Gibbs and I don’t need a babysitter.”

That being said, Tony turned back to face his computer, effectively ending the conversation.

“Call me when you get something,” Gibbs growled as he stomped to the elevator.

xxx

As much as Tony hated to admit it, the painkillers did make him sleepy. He knew that he needed to keep working though; Gibbs was counting on him to find out any information he could while the team was gone, and he didn’t want to move any further up Gibbs’ shit list.

He rubbed a hand over his eyes and rested his head in his hands with his elbows propped on his desk.

“AGENT DINOZZO!”

Tony startled and sat up straight. Director Vance was standing in front of him, toothpick in his mouth, frown on his face.

“Sleeping on the job, Agent DiNozzo?” Vance asked mildly.

“No sir,” Tony said. “I wrenched my knee on the way in this morning and Ducky gave me something to�"”

“I’m not interested in sob stories, DiNozzo.”

“Yes Director.”

Vance stalked off to annoy someone else and Tony let out a long sigh and glanced out the window. The snow was really coming down now�"blowing sideways with the gale force winds whirling outside. “Jesus,” Tony whispered, watching the weather for a moment.

Tony went back to work trying to contact the Petty Officer’s mother and a short while later the elevator pinged and his teammates stepped off.

“The storm is terrible,” McGee said shuddering with cold. Gibbs shrugged his jacket off and flung it over the back of the chair before stomping up the stairs toward the director’s office.

“Gibbs said you managed to injure yourself Tony,” Ziva said with a wicked grin. “What did you do? Break a fingernail?”

Tony fought back the urge to roll his eyes. “Something like that,” Tony muttered softly.

“What have you got for me DiNozzo? You’d better have something,” Gibbs snapped, returning from upstairs.

“I found out that the Petty Officer’s mother has drained her bank account, cancelled her condo lease, and isn’t answering her phone,” Tony replied.

“Did you find out why?”

“I’ve got a call in with the bank manager, the rental office manager, and have a message left for her former next door neighbor. I’m waiting on calls back,” Tony said softly. He refused to let Gibbs make him feel like he’d failed. He’d done the best he could do dammit.

“Good work DiNozzo,” was all Gibbs said as he sat down at his desk.

Tony blinked in surprise. A moment later a huge yawn overwhelmed him and he couldn’t fight it back. Damn those drugs Ducky gave him.

“DiNozzo head downstairs and catch a nap. We’re not going anywhere anytime soon, and if those calls come in McGee or Ziva can take care of it.”

“That’s not necessary Boss,” Tony said. It was bad enough that he’d gotten hurt and was on desk duty. He wasn’t some baby who needed to go take a nap.

“Wasn’t a suggestion, DiNozzo,” Gibbs replied.

“On it Boss,” Tony muttered as he made his way to the elevator.

xxx

Tony blinked his eyes open slowly and groaned. What woke him up? Tony realized Gibbs was standing over him and smiled weakly.

“Hi Boss,” Tony said softly.

“Hey DiNozzo. How’s the knee?” Gibbs’ voice held a gentleness that surprised Tony.

Tony tried moving his leg just slightly and his face twisted in a grimace of pain. “Uggh,” he groaned softly before he could stop himself.

“That good, eh?”

“It’s fine Boss,” Tony said pushing himself to sit up. “You hear back from any of those messages?”

“Nope, but it doesn’t matter. We can’t go check them out anyway.”

“What? Why?”

“We’re snowed in. Director’s sealed the building because of the storm. No one gets out.”

“How are we supposed to get home?”

Gibbs rolled his eyes and whacked Tony over the back of the head. “We aren’t, we’re staying here,” Gibbs replied.

Tony blinked and shot to his feet as a thought suddenly occurred to him. “Boss! It’s Christmas Eve! We can’t be snowed in!”

“Weather report says we’ve already received fifteen inches of snow and tonight they’re expecting another fifteen inches. The storm’s already blowing and Vance didn’t want to take the chance of someone getting in an accident or getting stuck at home and not being able to come in.”

“Even though we can’t leave if we had to,” Tony said with a snort. Gibbs looked at him sharply and Tony’s shoulders slumped slightly. “Sorry Boss,” he said quietly. “It’s just…it’s Christmas.”

“I was under the impression you hated Christmas, DiNozzo,” Gibbs said.

“Well I will admit it’s not my favorite day of the year Boss, but that doesn’t mean I just want to spend it sitting around the office here and missing it altogether.”

“Well then why don’t you organize us a Christmas celebration,” Gibbs said with more than a little sarcasm in his voice.

Tony however, immediately brightened. “That’s a great idea Boss!” He followed Gibbs to the elevator and smirked when he saw his boss roll his eyes.

xxx

“Tony that’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard! How will we have a Christmas celebration here without any time to prepare?” McGee had a vein in his forehead that looked like it might erupt at any moment. The young man was frustrated because Vance had grounded them all to the building. He was supposed to be spending Christmas Eve with his family at church, followed by spending the night and tomorrow at his parents’ house.

“Well McGrumpy I don’t want to be stuck here anymore than you do, but in case you haven’t noticed we don’t have a choice,” Tony snapped at the younger agent. “I am trying to make the best of a bad situation,” he added.

McGee slumped. “You’re right Tony. It just sucks.”

“I agree it sucks,” Tony said. Not that I had big plans.

Ziva crossed her arms. “What will we eat? What will we do? Sit around and stare at each other all night? Or we could play a game,” she suggested, “although Gibbs does not slap me as the game playing type.”

“Strike me,” Tony corrected.

“What?” The puzzled look on Ziva’s face was always good for a laugh.

“Gibbs does not strike you as the game playing type. He doesn’t slap you,” Tony said with a chuckle.

“Whatever,” Ziva muttered. “Strike, slap it is all the same.”

“We’ll figure out something exciting to do Ziva, don’t worry,” Tony said with a reassuring smile. Heading towards the closed cafeteria, Tony decided to look around to see what he could find to get the celebration rolling.

“Frozen cookie dough, a ham, potatoes, yams, corn, oh and pies; I think we’ve got everything we need for a feast right here,” Tony started pulling things out and placing them on a cart; he was trying to minimize his walking due to the pain in his leg.

“DiNozzo,” Gibbs called as he walked into the kitchen surprised to see his agent hanging out of one of the coolers.

“Hi Boss,” Tony said with his head stuck in the large cooler.

“DiNozzo what are ya doing? Thought Ducky told you to take it easy on that knee.”

Tony stood up, leaning on the cooler door for support. “I am taking it easy on my knee. You see here I have a cart�"I’m loading all the food up on it instead of walking back and forth to the counter.”

Gibbs joined Tony at the refrigerator. “What are you coming up with? Is there actually food in this cafeteria?”

Tony chuckled. “Surprisingly, there is. I found all this stuff that I bet we could use to make dinner.”

“Hope it’s precooked food,” Gibbs commented, lifting a bowl of potato salad out of the refrigerator.

“Why’s that Boss?”

“I’m no cook, you’re a marginal cook, and do you really want to eat anything that Ziva or McGee fix?”

Tony swallowed hard and looked grim. “Good point Boss. Well we can hope for a Christmas miracle right?”

He laughed when Gibbs swatted him over the back of the head.

xxx

Once dinner was warming (thankfully all the food was, in fact, precooked) Tony settled back at his desk and lifted his leg up to rest it on top of his desk. He checked his voicemail and listened carefully as P.O. Stevens’ mother’s neighbor spoke softly on the message. She wanted to meet with Tony�"and only Tony�"about what she had overheard the night before Mrs. Stevens’ condo was abandoned.

Tony called the woman back and once he identified himself on the phone, the woman reasserted that she only wanted to meet with Tony and named the coffee shop right down the street from NCIS. Tony tried to explain to the lady that NCIS was on lockdown and he couldn’t leave, but she wouldn’t hear it. Finally relenting, Tony agreed to go meet Mrs. Stevens’ neighbor.

Hanging up the phone, Tony pushed himself up out of his chair and bit his lip to keep the groan of pain from escaping. The shot of painkillers Ducky had given him earlier in the day had worn off and Tony refused to go ask for more, despite the pain.

“Going to check on the food,” he muttered as he made his way to the elevator. He breathed a sigh of relief when the doors slid shut that no one had questioned him.

xxx

Tony had been gone for some time when Ducky came into the bullpen, syringe in hand. “Jethro, where did Anthony run off to? It’s time for his next dose of painkillers…I’m certain the lad is in a great amount of pain due to his knee injury.”

“He said he was going to check on the food. That was a while ago though, he should be back by now,” Gibbs said. He stood up and headed towards the elevator. “I’ll head down to the kitchen and see what he’s doing and see if he needs any help.”

“I thought Tony was joking about being injured…I teased him about it,” Ziva said with a frown.

“I gave him a hard time too when he mentioned having a Christmas celebration here. I was so angry and upset that we were stuck here that I couldn’t see that there were other possibilities for the evening,” McGee said guiltily.

“It is too bad that Abby is not here,” Ziva said. “She will be sorry she missed out on this evening’s festivities, but I suppose she will have fun in New Orleans with her parents.”

A moment later McGee’s cell phone rang. “McGee,” he answered it.

“McGee get on your computer and pull up a trace on DiNozzo’s phone. He isn’t in the kitchen. I’m searching the building, but that could take a while. See where he is.”

McGee rushed to his computer, his fingers flying over the keys as he pulled up the trace signal for Tony’s phone. “Tony’s missing,” he told the others. “Gibbs can’t find him anywhere. Boss is searching the building now but he�"”

McGee’s eyes widened as he understood what he was looking at. “Oh shit,” he breathed. He pulled out his phone and called Gibbs.

xxx

Vance watched the MCRT from the balcony, his perch as some referred to it, and fought down his urge to smile. This group of people was just too happy, too joyful. He wanted to see them deflate a bit, so he told Gibbs he was sealing the building. Any agents working would be stuck there until he lifted the seal, all other agents at home were to stay there until further notice. Gibbs’ team was the only one working Christmas Eve, so the plan was perfect. They’d have to spend their holiday in the office�"no beds, no presents, no family, only each other and their work.

Gathering his things, Vance made his way to his private elevator and got inside. He hit the button for the ground floor and smirked to himself as the door closed. He really could be a mean sonofabitch when he wanted to. Once he reached the ground floor, he told the guards he was going to check something in his car and call his wife. He knew shift change would take place in a few minutes, so he assured them that he may be a few minutes and for them not to worry.

The director got into his SUV and started it up, smiling as the engine purred to life. “Merry Christmas suckers,” he said, sticking a toothpick in his mouth. He eased the car out of the parking space and pulled out into the lot. He rounded a corner and saw what looked like a body lying on the sidewalk. He glanced at it as he drove past, but couldn’t be sure who the person was.

“That looked like DiNozzo,” he muttered to himself. He lapped the parking lot again to double back. This time when he rolled near his tire hit a puddle and splashed icy water all over the person lying in the snow. Vance parked the car and got out.

Tony was lying in the snow, shivering and groaning in pain. The younger man had one hand on his knee and the other was raised to his head.

“Agent DiNozzo! What the hell are you doing?”

“D-d’rect’r,” Tony slurred, “h-h’llp…m-meee.”

“The building is sealed, Agent, this is gross insubordination. I’ll have a formal reprimand in your file. And don’t even think about asking off work for being sick or injured. Told you all to stay in for a reason and if you can’t follow that simple of an instruction, then you have no business being on my MCRT.”

“’ms’ry,” Tony moaned, “pl-pleee’ss h’lp m-meee.”

Vance was torn, but only for a moment. He could pick up the phone and call Gibbs and tell him where his boy was. Or he could help him back inside and get him the medical attention he so obviously needed.

Vance let out a long breath. “I’m letting you keep your job,” Vance said lightly and Tony’s eyes widened slightly. “That’s all the help I can give you.” With that the director stood up and walked away, leaving Tony behind. The older man got into his car and drove away without a backwards glance.

xxx

Philip Davenport flashed his badge at the guard at the gate to the Navy Yard, smiling and waving as he was passed through. His wife had sent him out in their SUV to bring hot food and supplies to the agents in the building at NCIS after they received word that the director had sealed them inside. As he pulled into the parking lot at NCIS, he noticed an odd looking lump near the sidewalk. Raising an eyebrow, Davenport pulled the vehicle into a parking space and got out. Stepping carefully to avoid large piles of snow and puddles, Davenport quietly approached the figure on the sidewalk.

It was the body of a man, partially buried in snow. Without a second thought, the SecNav dropped to his knees next to the young man and brushed the snow off of him. It didn’t take him long to recognize Agent DiNozzo, though the last time he’d seen him had been during the Domino fiasco.

“My God, what happened to you,” Davenport murmured. He took off his overcoat and began to cover Tony with it when he heard the sound of footsteps rushing up behind him. Turning and glancing over his shoulder, Davenport breathed a sigh of relief when the kid’s boss, Agent Gibbs, ran up next to him.

“What happened,” Gibbs snapped, moving in between Tony and the SecNav, checking his agent for injuries. He slapped Tony lightly on the face. “DiNozzo? Tony you with me? C’mon DiNozzo don’t do this…you gotta wake up…c’mon son wake up,” Gibbs urged, shaking Tony’s shoulder and slapping him lightly on the face again. Tony finally rewarded him with a groan and his eyelids fluttered.

“B’ssss,” Tony slurred, blinking hard trying to get his eyes to focus. “D’rect’r…”

Gibbs thought Tony was mistaking Vance for Davenport. “That isn’t the director Tony, that’s the SecNav. Wake up c’mon. You with me?”

“D’rect’r…l-lef…m-meee…s-s-sooo c-c-colld-d-d,” Tony stuttered out, eyes dropping shut again. It was then Gibbs realized that Tony was wearing his suit jacket but no winter coat.

“Vance left you? He saw you like this and he left you out here? You could have died!” Tony blinked tiredly several times, his eyes heavy. Gibbs shook his shoulder again and Tony groaned.

“What happened to you? Why are you lying in the snow?” He’d deal with Tony leaving the building once he had him thawed out.

“Sl’pp’d…snow,” Tony murmured softly, his eyes shut. “F-f-fell…kn-neee…h-hit-t…h-headd…s-side-w-walk-k…”

Gibbs’ gut churned. “Ok, ok you’re ok, you just gotta stay with me. Alright? We gotta get you back inside and warmed up. We’ll get you changed out of these wet clothes and you’ll be good as new.”

Tony nodded his head weakly, eyes clamped shut tight. Gibbs got behind him and scooped him up, leaning him against his chest. The older man ran his hands up and down Tony’s arms trying to warm him. He saw Tony’s ruined cell phone lying at the bottom of a puddle and reached down to grab it.

“We gotta get you inside Tony, but we can’t carry you. You’re going to have to help us.” Tony moaned his assent and Gibbs nodded at Davenport. “Will you help me?”

“You really have to ask me that question Agent Gibbs?”

“Well figuring the director of the agency left him here to die, I’m not sure who I trust,” Gibbs growled. “Especially since you hired him.”

Davenport had to concede that Gibbs had a point. “How do we move him?”

“He’s got a bum knee right now, so he can’t put any weight on that leg. And who knows what kind of concussion he might have if he hit his head. We need to get him inside to Ducky so he can take a look at him. We’ll wrap his arms around our shoulders and help him up. Then we let him set the pace as much as possible. He’s really independent; he likes to do things on his own.”

“Sounds like someone else I know,” Davenport said with a knowing smile.

Gibbs smirked. “On three,” he said. “Tony we’re going to stand up alright? We’re going to help you, just lean on me, alright? We’ve got you.” They wrapped Tony’s arms around their shoulders. Tony let out a pitiful whine at the sudden movement. “Ok here we go…one…two…three…UP!”

Gibbs and Davenport stood up, dragging Tony up between them. Tony’s good leg immediately buckled under him and he leaned heavily into Gibbs, face turned low. “There we go,” Gibbs said softly, quietly encouraging the younger man. “We’re up…hard part’s done…only a short way to the elevator and then we’ll get you warmed up alright?”

Tony whimpered again, but offered no other answer. Together Gibbs and Davenport started moving Tony inside. By the time they reached the elevator, Tony was a dead weight between them. Under the light of the elevator, Gibbs could see that Tony’s lips had a bluish tint to them, signifying hypothermia and his breath was coming in very short, labored gasps.

“Let’s sit him down,” Gibbs instructed and they eased Tony to sit leaned against the wall of the elevator. Gibbs sat beside him and pulled him close, allowing the young man to lean on him. Gibbs pulled out his cell phone and made a call.

“Duck it’s me. I found Tony. Grab a gurney and meet me at the garage elevators. Bring some blankets.” He snapped the phone shut. Once the elevator stopped on the main floor and the doors opened, Gibbs reached up and hit the emergency stop button, holding the elevator suspended. The entrance guards gathered round the door to see what happened.

“Did you all know he’d left?” Gibbs eyed each one of them with a menacing glare.

“No sir,” they each responded.

“Did you see Director Vance leave?”

“He said he was just going to get something out of his car and call his wife.”

“Oh he’s calling her alright,” Gibbs snapped, “a house call.”

The guards had the good graces to look ashamed. Ducky appeared in their midst and ordered them to back up.

“My God Jethro what in blue blazes happened to Anthony?”

“Sl’p’d…sn’w…D’rect’r…”

“He slipped in the snow and wrenched his knee again and hit his head,” Gibbs explained.

“Let’s get him lying down flat. Come, come dear boy, I have a gurney here for you to lie down and rest on.” Together they helped Tony ease himself down. Ducky covered him with blankets and strapped him down so he wouldn’t fall. Tony immediately began to struggle against the restraining belts.

“Easy DiNozzo,” Gibbs said quietly right into Tony’s ear. “I’ve got your six, just relax.”

“M-mad-d a’me,” Tony slurred, rolling his head back and forth trying to stay awake.

“Not mad Tony,” Gibbs said softly running his fingers through Tony’s wet hair. “We’ll talk about it later. Just relax for now. I’m not going to let anyone hurt you.”

xxx

Down in Autopsy, Ducky carefully examined Tony from head to toe. “He seems to have a mild concussion Jethro, if the sluggishness of his pupils is any indication. He’s also caught quite a case of hypothermia. We really must get the boy warmed up. His knee is in terrible shape. I would expect he’ll likely need surgery on it as a result of this most recent fall.”

“Dammit,” Gibbs cursed lightly under his breath. He glanced at Tony who appeared to be sleeping. “Wake up Tony.” Tony’s eyes slid open and in the same moment the autopsy doors slid open letting Ziva and McGee in.

“Is Tony alright? What happened? Who did this?”

“Why would someone want to hurt Tony? What was he doing outside?”

Gibbs held up a hand to stop all the questions. “McGee go get Tony’s extra clothes out of his filing cabinet. Make sure you bring clean socks and shorts too, he’s soaked through.”

“On it Boss,” McGee said, already heading out the door.

“Jethro if the director left, does that mean the building hasn’t been sealed?”

“I don’t know what it means Duck. What I do know is that it’s a mess out there and if we have the ability to stay here, we should. It’s safer. Might mean our plans get changed, but I’d feel better if no one left.”

“Is Tony going to be alright Ducky?” Ziva was uncharacteristically concerned about her partner.

“It’s early to tell my dear, but I do feel confident that Anthony will be alright. These next few hours are very important.”

Gibbs focused on helping Tony stay awake while they waited for McGee to return with the dry clothes. The SecNav stood in the corner of Ducky’s domain with his cell phone pressed to his ear. Ziva paced nervously and Ducky fussed with Tony’s blankets, trying to get the younger man warmed up. A few minutes later McGee returned with Tony’s extra clothes as well as some towels from the gym showers.

Gibbs took a towel and began toweling off Tony’s hair gently, while Ducky carefully removed Tony’s tie and unbuttoned his shirt. The old ME looked up at the team members and smiled gently.

“If you all would be so kind as to give Tony a few moments for us to help him change.”

McGee and Ziva left without any argument. The SecNav and Gibbs stayed with Ducky to assist.

“Tony,” Gibbs called softly in an attempt to keep the younger man alert. “You with me DiNozzo?”

“W-wit-th y-you B-B-B’sssss,” Tony slurred as he cracked his eyes open slightly. “H-h-hurtsss B-b’ssss.”

“I know it hurts and I know you’re tired and want to sleep, but you’ve gotta stay awake…just a bit longer. Once we get you warmed back up we’ll see about letting you have a nap. Tell me what happened Tony. From the beginning.”

Gibbs knew if he could keep Tony talking they’d stand a better chance of keeping him awake.

“G-gotta…ph-phone c-call…Ssssteev-vens’ m-mom’sss…n-neighb-bor…w-want’d…meet…h-hadda g-go…” Tony slurred softly. Gibbs kept a hand on Tony’s forehead, rubbing it gently.

“Go on,” Gibbs said softly.

“D-dn’t m-make i-it,” Tony continued. “S-sl’p’d…s-sn’w…m-my…kn-neee…f-felllt sssssom-meth-thing r-rip…h-hit m-my h-head.”

Gibbs stole a quick glance at Ducky and saw that he was taking notes on what Tony was saying happened. He’d no doubt fill out the accident report for Tony once things calmed down.

“You mentioned the director Tony. What happened with Vance?”

“H-he was…d-d-driving away…sssssaw m-m-me…lying…i-i-in th-the…sssssnow…I g-guess…c-came back t-to sssssssee…wh’t I w’s…d-d-o’ng…sssaid-d I-I…hadn’t f-followed orders…” Tony suddenly broke off in a harsh cough that worried both Gibbs and Ducky before continuing. “G-g-gross ins-sub-bord-dination…b-begged h’m to h’lp m-me…b-beg-ged him…he t’ld m-me…h’lp m-me by�"” he coughed again “�"l-let-ting me k-keep m-my job…f-formal rep-primand…” Tony’s voice trailed off in a quiet moan and he was silent for several moments. Gibbs was just about to reply when Tony spoke again, his voice tired and even softer than before, but surprisingly clear and without the shivering stutter, “Boss he drove away and left me there…he left me there to die…and then…then you were there…”

Gibbs thought he’d kill Vance next time he saw him. He flipped around to see the SecNav standing there, a shocked look on his face.

“See what you’ve done, Davenport? This man that you hired�"this Director left one of his own men lying injured in the snow, fifty feet from the building because he couldn’t be troubled to help him. Is that how you want this agency represented?”

The SecNav stepped up to the gurney where Gibbs stood protectively next to Tony’s prone form. “I give both of you my solemn word that I will not let Director Vance’s behavior go unpunished. His actions this evening were unacceptable and I will make sure he understands the severity of this situation.”

“Heard that before,” Gibbs snorted rolling his eyes and turning back to look at Tony again. He met Tony’s worried gaze with calm, silently reassuring the man that he’d be fine and that Gibbs would keep him safe.

“What do you mean?” The SecNav took a step closer to Gibbs. “Has something like this happened before?”

“Well you probably recall what happened with Director Sheppard. She put DiNozzo and David in danger while pursuing information regarding her father’s death. Before that she sent DiNozzo undercover for a year with no backup almost getting him killed in the process. As soon as Vance came on board the first thing he did was bust up my team�"sending DiNozzo to be Agent Afloat as soon as he got back from California. It’s a growing list of incidences where Vance has thrown DiNozzo to the wolves�"he left him to fend for himself against the Mossad for God’s sakes�"he had no one but me to watch his six and we all know that I don’t have any power. I don’t know what it is that Vance has against DiNozzo but this has got to stop before someone�"Tony�"gets killed. It’s your job to keep us all safe as best as you can. We’re in danger in our own office here and that isn’t going to continue.”

The SecNav’s eyes narrowed a bit and he puffed out a loud breath. Tony pushed himself up on an elbow, and reached for Gibbs’ arm. “Ssssok B-Boss,” Tony said quietly. “N-not worth th’trouble,” he said sadly.

Gibbs turned and cupped Tony’s face in his hands. “You are worth it Tony and if I have to spend all my time defending you myself to prove it to you then that’s what I’ll do. Don’t ever think you aren’t worth being kept safe and protected DiNozzo. You haven’t deserved anything the last two directors have done to you. Jenny’s death was not your fault, the undercover op was not your fault, you being sent afloat was not because of anything you did, and you did not deserve what happened to you today. We clear?”

Tony’s eyes closed in a long blink and he nodded. “Crystal Boss,” he whispered.

Seeing how exhausted Tony was, and noting that the younger man’s color was better, Gibbs turned to Ducky. “Do you think he’s warm enough to take a nap yet Ducky? He’s exhausted.”

“I believe he could, yes.” Ducky smiled kindly at Tony, “we’ll keep a close eye on you Anthony. Get some rest lad.”

Tony slowly eased himself back down and looked at Gibbs. “Sssssok Gibbs,” he slurred softly as he fell asleep.

xxx

Gibbs left Tony in Ducky’s capable hands and he returned to the Bullpen with the SecNav in tow. “We have a situation on our hands,” he told the members of his team without preamble. “The director left, so the building is no longer sealed.”

“That means we can leave,” McGee said cheerfully.

“You can but you won’t,” Gibbs growled. “You’re going to head to the cafeteria with Ziva and check on the food.”

“Food, got it boss,” McGee blinked hard as he walked with Ziva to the elevator.

“Where is Tony,” Ziva asked a little annoyed that she was being sent to do kitchen duty.

“In autopsy with a badly injured knee, head injury and a case of hypothermia,” Secretary Davenport replied. “Before you head to the cafeteria, I would appreciate a little help unloading my vehicle. My wife sent supplies as soon as we got word that Vance locked down the building, she became concerned.”

“I’ll just grab my coat,” McGee grumbled.

It didn’t take them long to get the SecNav’s car unloaded and together they all headed back inside. McGee looked at the SecNav and cleared his throat. “Um sir? I was just wondering…well I know that we’re all snowed in here until the building is reopened…so we’re staying here for Christmas Eve…I was wondering sir, if we could use MTAC to watch a movie tonight?”

Ziva looked at McGee with a puzzled expression on her face. The SecNav smiled. “Of course Agent McGee. Make sure you leave a line open if a call needs to come in, otherwise it is fine with me.”

Ziva and McGee went to the cafeteria and Davenport went to Vance’s office. He closed the door behind him and sat down at the Director’s desk. He thought for a long moment before he pulled out his cell phone.

“Good evening Director Vance,” Davenport said pleasantly. “How are you this fine evening?”

“Doing well Sir,” Vance responded. “Due to the storm we had to close NCIS. I sealed the building. There’s a team with me here and we’re holding down the fort until the storm eases.”

“You’ve got a team at NCIS? In this storm? Why didn’t you send everyone home? It’s Christmas Eve.”

“Well sir I figured that with the steady stream of incoming cases we’ve had, it would make sense to keep a team on call during the holiday.”

Davenport’s eyes narrowed. “Thought you sealed the building, how would a team get out to investigate a crime if the building is sealed due to the weather?”

There was a slight hesitation on Vance’s end and Davenport smiled slightly. “Secretary believe me, if there is a case that comes up the team I have on call will stop at nothing to get out and investigate it.”

“The roads are not passable. As soon as the weather clears I think you should send everyone home. Including you�"I’m sure you’re missing your wife and children.”

“I am missing them terribly, sir. It’s very difficult to be away from them on Christmas Eve.”

The Secretary’s eyes narrowed. Was Vance really lying to him? Time to get down to business. “I’m looking at the lovely picture of your children on your desk, Director Vance. They’re growing up nicely. Now how about you cut the shit and tell me where you are.”

“I’m uh…that is…I…”

“You went home, did you not? Left Gibbs’ team at NCIS with orders that the building has been sealed and you left to go spend the holiday with your family?”

“Sir there was a break in the storm. I went to tell Agent Gibbs’ team that the storm had lifted enough to go home, but I couldn’t find any of them. I took the opportunity and left while I had the chance. It’s like you said sir�"Christmas Eve. It’s time to spend with family. I assumed that once Gibbs’ team realized I was gone they would understand the seal on the building had been lifted and go home.”

“I see…and tell me what happened with Agent DiNozzo this afternoon?”

“DiNozzo, what’d he do now? I haven’t seen him this afternoon sir. Last time I saw him he was sleeping at his desk.”

“Interesting…I was with Gibbs and DiNozzo down in autopsy after I found DiNozzo lying injured in the snow and he told me that you not only refused to help him, but that you were putting a formal reprimand in his file for being outside the building while it’s sealed.”

“Secretary that’s the most absurd thing I’ve ever heard�"you said DiNozzo was injured in the snow? Perhaps he was confused…I haven’t seen him.”

“I spoke with Agent Gibbs. He also saw DiNozzo in the snow. We had to take DiNozzo down to Autopsy where Dr. Mallard treated him for a knee injury, head injury and hypothermia. Agent Gibbs told me about several incidents that I’ve heard different versions of from you. It may be frustrating for you, but everyone I have spoken with has a version of the events around NCIS and yours is the only one which is different. You’ve been using this agency for a power trip. You’re abusing your agents, neglecting their safety, and handing out unjust punishments.”

“Secretary I…”

“You will listen. You are currently suspended until I make a final decision on what to do about this. I have some things I need to check into and I will be back in touch with you before New Years. Let me offer this warning. If you set your foot on the property of the Navy Yard before you hear from me it will result in immediate dismissal. We clear?”

Vance huffed into the phone. “Crystal sir, Merry Christmas.”

Davenport hung up the phone without further conversation.

xxx

Ducky stayed close by Tony while the young man rested. Each time he would move, he would groan pitifully in pain. An hour or so after Tony had dozed off, Ducky looked up as Gibbs walked through the sealed doors.

“How’s our boy, Duck?”

“He’s resting quite fitfully Jethro. He’s in a considerable amount of pain but I am weary of giving him anything. He’s developing a cough and I am watching to see if he develops a fever. He got quite a chill lying in the snow for so long.”

“He need a hospital?” Gibbs’ voice was quiet, his eyes glued to the restless form of his agent.

“At this point no,” Ducky replied. “I am going to keep a close eye on him tonight, and would feel better if someone could keep an eye on him for a few days. I’d let him stay with me, but mother gets so nervous when people she is unfamiliar with come to the house.”

“He can stay with me, need to fix things with him anyway,” Gibbs said quietly. “Screwed up with him today.”

“What happened Jethro? He’s seemed a bit out of sorts all day long.”

“Shot my mouth off this morning; told him if he was on desk duty he was no use to me. I was just frustrated though, not really thinkin’ bout what I was saying.”

“Oh my dear boy I’m sure that upset him greatly.”

“Think it’s why he went off to check that lead by himself. He felt like he needed to prove to me that he was worth keeping around. Dammit Duck, his self-confidence is so low most days, I don’t even know what to say to him sometimes.”

“I believe you might be the first one to actually consider that before speaking Jethro. He did not get this way over night. He won’t overcome it over night either. Be consistent with him and be patient. He’ll come around.”

“Dinner’s almost ready we should start waking him up so we can get him upstairs.”

“Where are you planning to move him to? You do realize he’s got a mild concussion.”

“MTAC Duck, got comfy chairs for him to recline in and McGee’s somehow gotten a copy of It’s A Wonderful Life for us to watch. Ziva’s working on the food.”

The pressure sealed doors opened again and the SecNav entered. “I spoke with Vance,” he said without preamble. “As soon as the storm lifts you’re all to get out of here and get home.”

“I’m going to take DiNozzo home with me so I can keep an eye on him for a few days,” Gibbs told the SecNav.

“Does he not have anyone at home to look after him?”

“No he lives alone. Most of us do, in fact.”

“But you all had family you are wishing to be with tonight don’t you?”

Gibbs thought about it. “I know that McGee had plans with his family tonight. Ziva is Jewish but she was going to spend the next few days with her neighbors. I usually prefer to be alone for the holidays, Abby’s in New Orleans and Duck I’m assuming you’ll spend the holiday with your mother, and I have no idea what Tony’s plans were.”

“No plans Boss,” Tony croaked from the table where was resting.

Gibbs moved to his side, “How you feeling?”

“Like I got hit by a train,” Tony said softly. “How’s the storm?”

“It’s still snowing,” Gibbs told him. “SecNav has released us as soon as the storm lifts.”

“SecNav? What…what about Vance?”

“Director Vance has been suspended indefinitely due to his actions this afternoon and in previous instances until I can learn more.”

Tony pushed himself to sit up, and quickly raised a hand to his forehead when he swayed unsteadily. “Easy,” Gibbs said, pushing him back a bit.

“You can’t do that,” Tony said. “I mean uh…I guess you can do whatever you want, but why would you do that? He hasn’t messed with anyone but me.”

“Which is also cause for concern, Agent DiNozzo,” Davenport said. “He’s head hunting you it looks like. I am going to look into the situation more�"there will be interviews, surveys, security footage reviewed, and I will be reviewing each employee’s file for reprimands and reviewing each of them.”

Tony looked up at Gibbs. “Why? Why would he do all that just because of me?”

Gibbs smiled and ruffled Tony’s hair affectionately. “Because you’re a good agent. You’ve worked here for years and you’ve never let anyone down. You deserve to be protected by this organization.”

Tony’s smile was filled with a mixture of hope and relief and Gibbs knew he’d said the right thing.

It took all three of them to get Tony to his feet, the first step proved to be incredibly painful for the younger man. The second step sent him crashing to the floor only to be caught by three sets of hands.

“Back on the gurney,” Ducky ordered gently. “They make these things with wheels for a reason.”

With Tony situated back on the gurney, Ducky moved to do the straps only to see Tony flinch. “I think we can forego these straps, we’ll just pull up the sides and take it easy so you aren’t jostled off.”

“Thanks Ducky,” Tony said softly.

Together they boarded the elevator and headed for MTAC.

xxx

Tony’s eyes widened when they wheeled him into MTAC and he saw what was happening. Ziva had set up a table along one wall and the food was placed on it. Paused on the movie theater size screen were the opening credits for It’s A Wonderful Life.

He glanced up at Gibbs and saw his boss smiling down at him. Gibbs patted him on the shoulder. “I’ll fix you a plate.”

“Not really hungry Boss.”

“I know what you eat when you have a concussion. Leave it to me,” Gibbs said gently.

A few minutes later each person had a plate and were sitting around Tony’s gurney eating.

“You know I learned something today by all of this,” Ziva said.

“What’s that Ziva?” McGee spoke before putting a bite of food in his mouth.

“I learned that we should not take each other for granted. We should be glad we have one another,” Ziva said.

“I learned that we should all respect each other more,” McGee said, albeit somewhat begrudgingly. “Tony did good on getting all that information today.”

Gibbs smirked and took a sip of coffee. “Guess I learned that sometimes help comes from the places we least expect it.”

Tony blinked and thought about the things his teammates were saying. It had started off being a terrible day, but even amidst bad days there were good things that came out of them.

“I learned that I don’t have to be strong all the time,” Tony said quietly. “I can ask for help and it’s alright.”

The SecNav smiled at the team. They were all good people, hard working and honest. They deserved a nice holiday.

“The seal on the building has been lifted,” he announced. “If you would like to go home you may, but if you feel safer staying here until the storm lifts, that’s your decision.”

“Think I’ll stay here, don’t think I can walk out of here,” Tony said with a smile.

“I’m staying with DiNozzo, so I guess that means I’m staying too.”

“I have nowhere else to be. My neighbors will understand I had to work,” Ziva said.

McGee smiled. “I’ve already missed worship and I could go to my parents’ house tomorrow.”

Davenport smiled. “I wish you all a happy holiday. Be safe.”

“Thank you Secretary,” Gibbs said.

“Thank you Gibbs,” Davenport replied. He closed the door behind him. Inside he could hear the sounds of the movie starting. He smiled. It really is a wonderful life.

End.
Chapter End Notes:
Vance is a real piece of work in this one...Season 7-ish. One shot, Father-son-ish pairing.