- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I'm going to post several chapters at a time, over the next few days. I have reworked bits and pieces of each chapter, and completely reworked the ending. I will mark the story complete once all 20 chapters are up. This story is dedicated to Bigblade. It was her idea. :)
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony's spent his life being abused. When the opportunity arises to walk away from that life, can he do it? Will Gibbs be able to save him? Angst, OOC, Abuse!!!!!!, Violence, Slash, and Language warnings.
Warning: AU, OOC, Angst, Abuse, Violence, Torture, all sorts of bad stuff…
Pairing: Tony/OMC, eventually Tony/Gibbs
Disclaimer: Still not mine. Dang it. Only the idea is mine.

Silver Knight
Chapter 1: Breaking Out
by WCUGirl

Tony met Declan O’Sullivan through his college roommate at Ohio State. Their relationship had been a rocky one from the beginning. It started off innocent enough; Declan had wanted to know what Tony’s class schedule was, then he began showing up outside of Tony’s classrooms. Next he’d wanted to know where Tony was, who he was with, and what he was doing any time they were apart. Both of these struck Tony as odd, but he was still so shocked that this man fancied him, that he just couldn’t bring himself to mention it.

His frat brothers eventually grew concerned, and when Tony tried to downplay it to them they upped their argument, saying that Declan might actually not be the guy Tony thought he was, and perhaps Tony was getting in over his head. Over drinks that night in his dorm room, Tony had laughingly told Declan what his friends thought of him.

The next day Tony resigned from the fraternity.

xxx

Tony’s professors began to grow concerned whenever they noticed how much Declan lurked around the classrooms waiting for Tony, steering him away as soon as class was over--Tony didn’t even have the ability to ask questions or speak to the teachers before Declan was fussing for him to hurry the hell up and come on. One of Tony’s teachers finally cornered him in the Student Union after lunch one day and expressed his concerns for the young man. Tony turned on the charm and thanked the professor, but assured him that things were fine, he was safe; everything was great, this relationship was just a bit intense. But it was fine; Tony had everything under control--he could get out anytime he wanted to.

xxx

After Tony graduated from Ohio State, he’d enrolled in the police academy. Declan snorted derisively when Tony told him he’d be studying to be a police officer.

“You don’t have the guts, you pussy,” he sneered at Tony in his breathy, beer scented voice.

Tony hadn’t responded, but proved his lover wrong--he’d not only graduated, he’d graduated in the top of his class--again.

Unfortunately, police jobs in Ohio weren’t available in large quantities when Tony graduated. So he’d accepted a position in Peoria. Excited to have a job, Tony rushed home to tell Declan the good news.

That was the first time Declan had ever hit Tony.

Looking back, Tony knew that should have been the moment when he called it quits--the moment that Declan hit him, the whole game changed. But there was something about him…Tony couldn’t leave him. I mean this was DECLAN! The man had the looks of a Hollywood star, the swagger of a champion and Declan loved Tony--more than anyone ever had before. Tony would be a fool to leave Declan, and Declan knew it. Tony was elated when Declan told him that he should accept the job and they would move to Peoria together.

In Peoria, rookies were not given any sort of privilege on what shift they work or what district. To earn the right to ask for specific placement, you had to muddle your way through the trenches first. Tony was immediately assigned to the late night shifts--going to work at 8pm and getting off at 8am. He rode his beat, did his job, and if he moved a bit stiffly some days, well no one really questioned it. Tony was a healthy looking guy--he ate like a horse throughout his shifts and worked out a lot--always alone though. No one questioned if Tony looked like he was hurting--he probably just benched too much weight yesterday.

Flashback:

After the first time Declan hit Tony and Tony didn’t retaliate, the behavior grew into a pattern. Declan started withholding food from Tony at home, stating that he was a fat pig and if he was going to be one of those “spare tire cops who eats too many donuts” then Declan wanted nothing to do with his disgusting self. Tony didn’t eat at home anymore. He ate on the beat, but he never asked Declan for food anymore. If Declan offered it to him, it usually came with a price--often a hit, or sometimes a kiss, but sometimes food was traded in exchange for rape. Tony knew it was a fucked up situation. He knew he should leave--he’d been through the psychology seminars on abuse. He knew he was in an abusive relationship, but…but he loved Declan and he knew that if he could just figure out how to make the man happy then he wouldn’t need to abuse Tony anymore. Tony was abused by Declan because he was helping Tony be a better person. Tony should be grateful anyone was even taking interest in him.

End Flashback.

Declan hated living in Peoria. Tony liked the department well enough, but he loved Declan more, so when Declan told Tony that he wanted to move after two years, Tony conceded without any argument. Declan’s “discipline” was routine by now; Tony would come home from work, Declan would find some reason to smack him around a little--never too hard--nothing he couldn’t handle, and then Declan would go off to work and leave Tony to figure out how to patch himself up and then sleep before his shift that night.

xxx

Tony applied and was hired in Philadelphia and sent off with high recommendations from his chief and former partner from Peoria. His beat-partner had raised an eye when Tony told him he was moving, but he didn’t question it. Dino knew enough from his observations to know that there was more to Tony and this guy Declan than meets the eye. He also knew that he didn’t like the feeling he got whenever he saw Tony moving slow or heard him talk about “Declan wants…” or “Declan needs…” or “I’ll have to ask Declan first…”

Dino hoped that Tony would land on his feet, whatever happened. The kid was too nice, and too smart to be hooked up with the kind of guy that he feared Declan was.

xxx

In Philadelphia, Tony was hired as a police officer, not a police officer recruit, thanks to his years of service. This meant that he would be given some say in deciding when his shifts would be, where they would be, who his partner would be--not a lot of authority, but a bit.

Declan got a job as a bartender on Tony’s beat. Tony raised an eyebrow at this, but Declan just smiled and assured Tony that it was so he could keep an eye on his partner and make sure he was safe, while still bringing in some money. Tony smiled at that--Declan was very protective of Tony--indeed, no one was allowed to touch Tony, but Declan. Before Declan, no one had ever been protective over him, and Tony found he liked the attention.

Flashback:

When Tony was a kid, his father had beaten him badly--abused him for years, always calling him worthless and stupid and saying things like he regretted the day Tony was born and shit like that. His father told him countless times growing up that he was beaten because his father cared for him--he wanted him to grow up into a respectable person so this was how he made sure that happened. Tony’s self-esteem was so low by the time that he entered college and met Declan that he was near starved for any sort of positive attention that he could get. That attention, he learned, came for a price. Tony was paying dearly for this relationship with Declan now. Part of him was starting to hate Declan and how controlling he was, and how mean he could be. But then Tony would remind himself that it was only because Declan loved him that he was being treated like this.

End Flashback.

Tony worked happily at Philadelphia for two years.

One night Tony got a call to Declan’s bar to investigate some underage drinking. He’d been shocked and appalled when he found Declan behind the bar, drinking and laughing and serving up rounds to some girls who barely looked old enough to drive, let alone drink. Before he could say anything, Declan had turned around and had plastered himself up against one of the girls, kissing her passionately, his hands cupping her ass and breasts as though they were made for each other, his eyes closed and an expression of pure unadulterated bliss on his face.

Tony shut the bar down that night--with a little help from the others on his beat. The underage drinkers were ticketed and parents were called. The bar’s owner was arrested.

So was Declan.

Tony explained to the other officers on the scene at the bar that he knew Declan and couldn’t be permitted to arrest him, cuff him, drive him, anything like that, because it would constitute a conflict of interest he feared. More than that though, Tony feared what the consequences would be once Declan got home. Declan finally managed to get out of jail on a Promise of Good Will stating that he wouldn’t jump town before his court date in two weeks.

Flashback:

Tony was unable to attend court on the appointed day because he was hospitalized. He’d been attacked while securing a building in his district the night after Declan had been released. His attackers had used baseball bats and crow bars and had nearly beaten Tony to death. Tony hadn’t mentioned to anyone that his attackers had been two of Declan’s buddies, along with Declan himself. He simply held to his story that he didn’t see who the people were, didn’t hear their voices, only knew their general heights and weights, but it was dark and he was trying not to get beaten to death. No one questioned it.

End Flashback.

Tony’s beat-partner shook her head when he told her he was resigning. She was a veteran cop, had been on the force fifteen years. She was smart. She knew abuse when she saw it. Tamera couldn’t prove that Tony was in a romantic relationship with Declan, but there was definitely something there. She knew about Declan getting into some trouble. She sighed and wished Tony good luck.

xxx

In Baltimore, Tony vowed things would be different. He wouldn’t put up with the abuse anymore; wouldn’t take the bullying or the degrading. He would explain to Declan that this had to stop--Tony needed to be able to keep a job longer than two years. He wanted to build up experience and longevity. At this rate, he’d never be able to retire. Sure he had enough money from his trust fund to retire any time he wanted to, but Tony honestly enjoyed his work. He liked helping people and solving crimes and putting away the bad guys. It bothered him that he wasn’t recognized as a better officer than he was--simply because he typically moved away before anyone could really notice.

Declan told Tony that he didn’t want him to be a police officer anymore. Tony told him that he could do lots of things, but he couldn’t keep him from doing what he loved. Tony was growing increasingly concerned--the “discipline” (as Declan referred to it) was becoming increasingly violent, and here in Baltimore, Tony suspected that Declan was working a job on the wrong side of the law--he was convinced that Declan was getting into pimping and prostitution, maybe even drugs.

Declan was not pleased when Tony was promoted to Detective. Tony hadn’t expected him to be. The increase in Tony’s pay and the better hours did not stop the violent discipline. Each time Declan treated Tony in this way he always surrounded it with profound exclamations of love and adoration for Tony. Tony took him back each time, even though each time he promised himself it would be the last time. Next time he would leave. But next time came and went and Tony always stayed. Tony told himself he could leave anytime he wanted to. He didn’t need to stay with Declan to be happy; it was just easier to be in the comfortable relationship with Declan than it was to go through the hardship of convincing the man that Tony wasn’t coming back and getting Declan to accept that. That didn’t even approach the fear Tony had of living on his own and trying to cope on his own without having Declan’s guidance.

Tony knew that if he ever wanted to get rid of Declan he’d have to just leave and not say where he was heading. He’d have to be sneaky and cover his tracks and not leave any trace of where he was going behind. Any future job references would have to be done by Peoria and Philadelphia, since Declan wouldn’t think to go backwards looking for Tony. Tony would have to find a quiet apartment in a nice neighborhood, find a job doing something inconspicuous; maybe a private detective or something, and he would have to figure out how to live a happy life by himself when the time came.

Tony knew he could leave anytime he wanted. He just didn’t want to yet.

One day he was working on a murder case that he found held joint jurisdiction to NCIS. He called up NCIS and told them about the case. Intake sent the Major Criminal Response Team to take over the investigation. Tony refused to hand over sole jurisdiction and found himself partnered with the lead agent, Leroy Jethro Gibbs, as a result. This man was gruff, burly, a little scary, a lot mean, and absolutely addicted to coffee. He had silver hair, blue eyes, and if you could drag it out of him, a smile that would melt the polar ice caps. His case solve rate was second to none and his name was legendary among federal law enforcement groups. Tony was intrigued by the man, but kept it to himself and did not let his feelings expose themselves.

The team plus Tony spent days investigating clues, working long hours, sleeping in the office, living on coffee and bagels, trying to figure out who’d murdered the Corporal and his girlfriend. Since the girlfriend was a civilian, Gibbs allowed NCIS to share jurisdiction with Baltimore PD, especially since the young, smartass detective had been responsible enough to recognize that the case should belong to someone else in the first place. Tony stuck by the team, helping with evidence, processing interviews, studying the crime scene, doing his job, and doing it well. He didn’t give a second thought to the hell that would be waiting for him when he finally returned home.

The afternoon that they cracked the case, Tony received a phone call from Declan. Declan was mad that Tony hadn’t been home in three days, was accusing Tony of cheating on him, of sleeping around, of being a whore. Tony had never, ever, cheated on Declan, despite many offers and opportunities. Declan warned Tony that he’d better be ready for his punishment when he got home. Tony quietly agreed and hung up the phone. Gibbs raised an appraising eyebrow at him and Tony laughed it off.

“Pissed off my girlfriend again. She hates it when I work late.”

Gibbs smirked. “Cost me three marriages. I can relate to that. Hell at least you’re not married,” Gibbs retorted.

Tony laughed and nodded. He liked Gibbs, got along well with him, respected and maybe even trusted him…on a professional level. On a personal level…well Tony would love to have an opportunity to explore Leroy Jethro Gibbs on a more personal level. He mentally slapped himself. What was he thinking? Was he trying to get himself killed? He was with Declan. He was…happy with Declan. He was comfortable with Declan. Besides, Tony told himself, it’s not like Gibbs was gay--hell, he’d just told Tony he’d been married three times! Still…Tony had caught himself watching the other man on more than one occasion. He wondered what it would be like to be beaten at the hands of a powerful man like Gibbs; to hear the reaffirming words of “I’m helping you be a better person” come from those lips instead of someone else’s…he wondered if he could stand it.

xxx

Of course the apprehension of the murderer went bad. They hadn’t counted on the guy having a buddy over--one who was equally armed and dangerous. They also hadn’t counted on the building being the run down mess that it was--it made quiet entry difficult. Tony nearly jumped out of his skin when a rat ran over his foot at the door. Gibbs smirked again then raised an eyebrow in a silent--“FOCUS.”

Tony was holding his gun trained on the murderer, waiting while Stan Burley locked the man in handcuffs and read him his rights. He didn’t see the other gunman behind him aiming for Tony’s back. Stan didn’t see him either. Tony let out a startled yelp when he was suddenly knocked bodily to the side, falling over in a heap as his previously football-injured knee refused to hold the sudden shift in weight. After he blinked his eyes open he realized that just before he’d been knocked over he’d heard the sound of gunshots.

He stayed flat on the ground, not trying to move into anyone’s line of fire, but looked around cautiously. Gibbs was checking the pulse on the guy he’d shot. Gibbs stood up and grabbed one arm in the other hand, applying pressure. Tony was on his feet in an instant, shaking off the pain in his bad knee. “You okay, Boss,” he asked, not thinking about the title with which he’d just referred to Gibbs.

“I’m okay, DiNozzo, it’s a through and through. Get me some stitches and some antibiotics and I’ll be fine. No major harm done. You’re lucky I was watching though.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean he was aiming at you! If I hadn’t turned around and seen the guy lining up a shot at your back, you’d be lying here bleeding out right now.”

Tony was absolutely floored. “You took a bullet for me?”

“Well that wasn’t exactly part of the plan, but yes I did take a bullet for you.”

“Why would you do that?”

Gibbs blinked at the obvious confusion on the younger man’s face.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean why would you shove me out of the way so I wouldn’t get shot, knowing that there was a chance that you would get shot? Why would you take a bullet for me? I don’t deserve that!”

Gibbs narrowed his eyes at Tony slightly. “I was watching your six, DiNozzo. Haven’t you ever had anyone watch your six before?”

“What’s that even mean,” Tony asked, slightly perplexed.

Gibbs sighed. “It’s military jargon. It’s a reference to a clock. You face straight ahead at 12 o’clock. Directly behind you is your 6 o’clock--your six. Haven’t you ever had anyone watch your back before?”

Tony blinked in surprise and shook his head. “No,” he said softly, floored by the revelation. Indeed in all the years he’d been a police officer, he’d never been able to confidently say that someone would watch his back for him--take a bullet for him. But this man…he did it without even being asked.

Gibbs shook his head, disgusted. “I can’t believe that. And they call themselves a police department around here. You could have been killed,” Gibbs snapped.

“You took a bullet for me,” Tony breathed again, his voice shaking just slightly as he dropped to his knees, the shock of the revelation leaving him lightheaded. If he hadn’t been in love with this man before, he surely was now.

Gibbs stepped in front of Tony and knelt down in front of him. “Hey,” he said softly, “You’re a good cop, Tony. You deserve a partner who will watch your six for you.”

That comment almost made Tony laugh out loud. He just couldn’t imagine Declan being protective…like Gibbs had been. Thoughts of being disciplined by Gibbs drifted into his mind again, but he quickly banished them.

“I have what I deserve,” Tony said quietly. “Because I’m not in a place to negotiate for better.”

Gibbs raised an eyebrow at the odd statement. “Listen, Burley, he’s getting a promotion up to Agent Afloat. This is his last case. I’m looking for a number two, a Senior Field Agent, if you’re interested.” Gibbs held out his card--a formality really, since Tony already had Gibbs’ number programmed into his phone. Tony reached out and took the card as though he’d just been offered the Holy Grail.

“Definitely interested,” he said softly. The wail of the ambulance sounded at that moment, and seconds later, the place was flooded with people.

xxx

That night, after Tony had finished icing his new bruises and bandaging the bloody welts that Declan had left on Tony’s body in the blind fury he’d attacked him with, he pulled out the business card again. He glanced in the bedroom and saw Declan was sound asleep--he usually fell asleep pretty quickly after “disciplining” Tony.

Making a decision, Tony smiled. This time would be the last time. He had a good reason to try to leave. That reason’s name was Leroy Jethro Gibbs.

TBC…
Chapter End Notes:
I'm going to post several chapters at a time, over the next few days. I have reworked bits and pieces of each chapter, and completely reworked the ending. I will mark the story complete once all 20 chapters are up.