- Text Size +
Chapter 16: Breaking Protocol

Ducky pulled into the driveway and paused. He wondered if he should heed Jethro’s advice about not coming inside. He understood the importance of maintaining the crime scene"especially this crime scene"but he also knew that Tony needed help.

Ducky pulled out his phone and dialed, waiting a moment before the answer filled his ear.

“You here yet Duck?”

“Yes Jethro I’m in your driveway. Are you and Anthony still inside?”

“No Ducky we’re next door. House on the other side of the driveway.”

“Alright Jethro. I’m coming.”

The phone clicked shut in his ear and Ducky closed his own phone. He quickly gathered his medical bag and got out. He wasn’t sure what he was walking into but he was positive that the situation was terrible.

He’d never heard that much fear in Gibbs’ voice before.

xxx

Ducky rang the bell and an instant later a tall, 50-something, salt and pepper haired man answered the door. “Are you Dr. Mallard?” His voice was soft and filled with strain.

Ducky held up his NCIS badge. “I am indeed. Is Jethro here with Anthony?”

The man nodded. “I’m Walter Fitzpatrick,” he said and offered his hand, which Ducky shook. “Please come inside.”

Walter led Ducky into the living room where the older man gasped softly when he beheld the scene there. Tony was on the couch. His leg was propped up by pillows with an ice pack on it and he was covered with a blanket. His face was ashen and his eyes were closed. A deep frown had set into his features and he appeared to be trying to tune out the world.

There was a woman standing over him, talking to him in a loud but gentle voice.

“Tony it’s Janet. I’m right here Sweetie and Jethro is here too. If you feel like you’re going to be sick again just let us know alright?”

Her voice held a distinct southern drawl and Ducky smiled. “Hello,” he said.

Janet whipped around, her eyes wide, taking in the situation and the stranger in the room. “Laws a mercy you scared me! Are you the doctor?”

Ducky nodded. Janet stepped around the couch and held her hand out.

“Name’s Janet Fitzpatrick. Retired Army nurse, worked for National Rehab for twenty-six years.”

“Donald Mallard. I work for NCIS with Jethro and Anthony.”

“Glad you’re here. Tony here had surgery this morning on his knee. He’s refusing his prescribed painkillers and I think he’s in shock after everything that happened in the house. I wanted to call an ambulance but Jethro said you were coming and you’d know what to do.”

Janet ran her fingers through her short blond hair and she stepped closer to Ducky, her face holding an expression of concern. “He’s pretty bad,” she said in a very soft voice. “I can’t get through to him.”

Before Ducky could respond Tony began heaving on the couch. Gibbs quickly propped him up while Walter grabbed the bucket off the table and shoved it under Tony’s chin. There was nothing left for him to vomit up. He dry heaved painfully for several minutes, bringing up only bile, before slumping back against Gibbs.

“’m sorry,” Tony mumbled. “I’ll clean it up. Just needa rest…justa-a minute…” his eyes drifted shut and Gibbs laid him back carefully, running a hand over his hair.

“Ducky help him,” Gibbs pleaded when the old ME approached. “He’s so sick, and he’s in shock, and I know he’s hurting…he won’t let anyone do anything though…please help him,” Gibbs’ voice trailed off in a whisper, his desperation audible.

“Let me just take a quick look,” Ducky said softly as he moved up near Tony’s face. He shook Tony’s shoulder gently. “Anthony dear boy? Can you hear me? It’s Ducky.”

Tony groaned and his eyelids fluttered open. “Duck-ky…” he whispered, his voice ruined from the heaving. Tony’s eyes rolled back in his head.

“Now, now, do try and stay awake for just a moment. I need to ask you several questions.”

Tony blinked owlishly at him and nodded slightly.

“Do you feel nauseous?” Tony nodded affirmatively.

“Is your leg hurting?” Tony nodded again.

“Are your ribs and collarbone hurting?”

“Ribs yeah…collarbone…not so much…”

Ducky nodded. “Very good Anthony. I am going to check your blood sugar. I fear with all of the vomiting you’ve done today you may have caused your blood sugar to become low.”

Ducky chatted while he got out the meter, prepped the lancet and unwrapped the alcohol swab. He gently took Tony’s good hand in his. “Sharp stick,” Ducky warned, and before Tony could protest Ducky pricked Tony’s finger.

Tony yelped in surprise and blinked his eyes open wide, fully awake. Ducky quickly placed a drop of blood on the tiny strip and watched as the meter began its countdown.

65.

“My dear boy, it’s no wonder you’re feeling poorly. Your blood sugar is quite low.” Ducky glanced up at Janet. “My dear, could we trouble you for a cup of juice to get the lad’s blood sugar levels raised?”

Janet nodded. “I’ll bring him some apple juice,” she said and left the room.

“Why’s he shaking so bad?” Gibbs’ voice was shaking nearly as badly as Tony was and Ducky wondered if he was in shock as well.

“He’s in shock Jethro, as you said. He’s in pain, he’s traumatized, his blood sugar is low…he’s shaking for many reasons,” Ducky explained carefully, not taking his eyes off of Tony who had drifted off again.

They all looked up when they heard the sound of car doors shutting outside. Moving to the window to look, Walter let out a long breath. “Looks like your team is here Jethro,” he said.

Gibbs didn’t move from Tony’s side. He pulled out his phone and hit a button.

“We’re at the neighbors’ house,” he said without preamble. “Who all’s here?”

Gibbs listened for a moment as Kate informed Gibbs of what was going on in his driveway. He was mildly surprised to learn that Palmer and the Director had shown up as well.

“Send the Director to get the key from me. I locked the house"didn’t want to take any risk of the crime scene being tampered with. Send Palmer too,” Gibbs added, relieved when he saw Ducky nod. “No,” Gibbs continued. “Everyone else needs to stay over there. Tony doesn’t need an audience right now.” He snapped the phone shut before Kate could argue with him.

Janet returned with a cup and a straw for Tony. “Alright honey here ya go,” she said and Tony startled awake, his body jarring painfully and drawing a whimper out of him.

Gibbs took the cup. “Hey Tony,” he said softly. Gibbs’ eyes were glassy with emotion. “Got you some juice sweetheart, here,” Gibbs put the straw to Tony’s lips, relieved when he began to drink slowly. He carded his fingers through his lover’s hair and made another vow to kill Declan. “Palmer and Director Morrow are coming over, so in a minute you’ll hear them at the door. But it’s ok Tones, we’re safe here, alright?”

Tony blinked up at him tiredly and nodded.

True to Gibbs’ word less than a minute later the doorbell rang. Tony’s eyes widened briefly, but then he relaxed, remembering Jethro’s words.

Director Morrow and Jimmy Palmer stepped into the room. “Oh goodness,” Morrow said and Gibbs nodded.

Gibbs passed the key to his house to the Director. “It’s unbelievable,” he said softly. “There is DNA all over the room, fingerprints, lip prints, there’s a glass he drank out of…name it. I want the whole house searched. Test everything you have to. He used Tony’s pills to spell out a word on the bed too,” Gibbs continued. “I’m going to have to call his doctor and figure out how to get him more prescriptions…I don’t trust those pills now,” Gibbs said firmly.

“Don’t worry about the house; we’ll take care of it,” Morrow assured Gibbs quietly. “You’ve got something much bigger to worry about,” he added, glancing over at Tony.

“Agreed,” Gibbs said. “Tony’s health and safety is much more important.”

“Agent DiNozzo,” Morrow called softly. Palmer was sitting by Tony’s side, telling him a story quietly to distract him from everything going on. At the director’s words, Palmer and Tony both looked at him.

“You are being placed under protection Tony. Do you understand?”

Tony nodded slowly and his eyes filled with tears. He turned his head away and closed his eyes.

“Agent Gibbs will be your assigned agent, with others working perimeters,” Morrow continued.

Tony looked at him, shocked. “I thought Gibbs…be needed…th’house…work the case,” he slurred softly.

“Your protection comes first. Agent Gibbs is the best agent we have for that job.” Morrow looked at Gibbs knowingly. “He won’t leave your side, Agent DiNozzo.”

Tony nodded, “thanks,” he said softly, ignoring the two tears that ran down his face.

“I’ll get Agent Balboa’s team to work protection with you Gibbs while your team heads up the investigation here. I assume you want this to be kept as quiet as possible?”

Gibbs nodded, “Tony doesn’t want his privacy invaded more than it already has been, I don’t think,” Gibbs said softly.

Tony suddenly gasped hard on the couch and Gibbs rushed back to his side, nearly knocking Palmer over. “You okay?” His voice was soft, and his eyes were carefully searching.

Tony grasped at Gibbs with his good arm. “Gibbs…team’ll…” he gasped again, causing Gibbs to become slightly concerned, “Team’ll…know about…oh God,” Tony’s voice trailed off in a tired whispered.

“Try again Tony. You’re not making a lot of sense. What are you worried about the team learning?”

“Rule…rule number twelve,” Tony whispered. His eyes were wide. “C-can’t break…break your own…your own rules,” Tony gasped.

“Hey shhhh, you let me worry about the rules,” Gibbs said gently. “You worry about staying calm alright? You’re going to make yourself hurt worse,” he reminded him.

“N-nooo you can’t you can’t do this,” Tony protested, and his breathing grew even more labored. “You don’t need…need all this shit…from me,” Tony said. “My fault…my problem…” Tony began hyperventilating.

Gibbs quickly propped Tony up and slid in behind him. “Duck!” Ducky and Janet sprang into action, their military training kicking in and they worked as a fluid pair, despite only having just met.

Gibbs watched as Janet moved into Tony’s line of sight. She spoke in soothing words, encouraging Tony to focus on his breathing and on trying to calm down. Behind her, Gibbs could see Ducky drawing up the syringe. It was too much. It was time for Tony to rest.

Janet moved a little bit closer, putting her hands on Tony’s shoulders to hold him steady. Thankfully, Tony was wearing gym shorts, so Ducky had easy access to Tony’s leg. “It’s alright Tony,” Janet said brightly. “You’re doing great. Nice slow breaths, breathe in…breathe out…nice and slow just like that…”

Gibbs glanced at Tony, could see him calming down, and his eyes were closed. Running a gentle hand over Tony’s hair, Gibbs nodded once at Ducky.

The old ME nodded and in one fluid motion swiped the alcohol pad over the outside of Tony’s thigh and plunged the needle into Tony’s leg before he could even register what was happening. As soon as Tony felt the sting of the medication though, his eyes shot open and he let out a pained gasp.

“Nooooo Ducky noooo…G’bbs…D’ck…noo…” Tony quickly slumped into a deep, drug induced sleep.

“I used the same medication as the other night Jethro,” Ducky said softly as he disposed of the needle in the small Sharps Container in his bag. “It’s mild enough that I can still give him a painkiller as well. For now though, we need to make a plan dear boy.”

“We need to figure out where we’re staying,” Gibbs agreed.

Walter stepped up. “You are more than welcome to stay here. Although if you think he’d be safer away from the neighborhood I understand. But whatever we can do to help…”

Gibbs smiled and nodded his thanks. “I do think it’d be safer to move him to another neighborhood. We don’t know where this guy is, but we do know that he knows where we’ve been.” Gibbs ran a hand over his mouth.

“What about Reston House,” Ducky suggested softly. “I have plenty of room and there are plenty of medical supplies there because of mother.”

“I know you have your hands full with your mom though, Duck,” Gibbs said. “We don’t want to put you out any.”

“Nonsense Jethro,” Ducky said. “I insist. It makes the most sense. It’s quiet and protected, and goodness knows I have the medical supplies there that Anthony may require.”

Morrow spoke up. “He’s right Jethro. It’ll be as safe as any safe house we could provide for you. We’ll have guards posted. It’s the most ideal place.”

Gibbs nodded. “Ok.” He let out a long breath and pinched the bridge of his nose. Gibbs wouldn’t admit it, but he was feeling pretty out of control. He hated feeling out of control. He glanced over at Tony, head dropped to one side, lips parted, resting finally in a drug induced sleep.

Ducky patted Gibbs’ shoulder. “Come dear boy,” he said softly. “Let’s all go home so we can rest. Declan O’Sullivan is done for tonight. He won’t do anything else.”

xxx

Later…

The first thing Tony registered was pain. Lots of it. He felt like his whole body was on fire and he couldn’t stop the gasp that escaped from his lips. He blinked his eyes open and stared at the room, wondering briefly where he was, before the panic set in.

How had he ended up here? What was going on? He was supposed to be with Gibbs…where was Gibbs?

Pushing himself slowly up with his one good arm, Tony blinked heavily and looked around more. A feeling of dread rose in his gut. He knew that dresser. Recognized that wardrobe. Glancing around, he quickly realized there was no wheelchair nearby, nor were there crutches.

A sound from down the hall drew his attention, and Tony stared at the apartment’s bedroom door, waiting for it to open. He swallowed hard as the knob turned. How many times had he been in almost this exact same situation"in this exact same bed"in this exact same apartment?

Tony figured Gibbs must have finally grown tired of dealing with him and had given him back to Declan. He remembered being at Gibbs’ neighbor’s house vaguely"or had he dreamed it? Tony ran a hand down his thigh until he felt the slightly tender spot where Ducky’s needle had made its mark. He hadn’t dreamed it.

The door suddenly cracked open slightly and in the dim room, Tony could barely make out the figure coming in.

“Wh-who’s there?”

He heard a muffled chuckle and his gut tightened even more.

“D-Declan?”

“Ohh so you do remember me,” Declan sneered, now standing next to the bed.

“I could never forget you,” Tony spat.

xxx

“Tony…c’mon Tony snap out of it…it’s a dream sweetheart you gotta wake up…Tony? Can you hear me?” Gibbs shook Tony’s good shoulder gently. “C’mon Tony…time to wake up.”

xxx

Declan’s hand shot out and grabbed Tony’s hair, pulling him to lie back on the bed and grunt in pain at the sudden movement. Then his former lover was on top of him, pawing at his clothes, pulling off the sling, smiling wolfishly down at him.

“Where’s Gibbs?” Tony used every bit of courage he could muster to utter those words.

Declan recoiled and then slapped him hard across the face.

“You dare mention that bastard’s name in my presence? He stole you from me! So like any thief, he was punished.”

Tony was struggling now. “What are you talking about?! I left! He didn’t steal me"didn’t force me"I did it alone! What have you done to him? Where is he?”

Declan’s eyes narrowed. “You want to know that badly? Perhaps you’ll join him,” Declan spat. He grabbed Tony by the collar of his shirt and hauled him off the bed, paying no mind to the way Tony’s legs banged painfully against the bedframe and the floor. He began dragging him down the hall to the bathroom.

Declan opened the door and shoved Tony inside. Tony pulled himself up on his one good knee and looked around…there…in the bathtub…

Tony vomited at the sight of his lover.

xxx

Gibbs eyed his lover with concern as he thrashed and twisted on the bed. They’d made it safely to Reston House and had gotten Tony into one of Ducky’s guest bedrooms with no trouble. Shortly after their arrival, Tony’s nightmares had started. In his drugged state, he wasn’t able to find his own way out of them, and Gibbs was working feverishly to wake Tony up.

“Tony…DiNozzo can you hear me? Tony?” Gibbs slapped Tony lightly on his face. He carded his fingers through Tony’s hair, but nothing seemed to be working.

“Hey Duck! Need some help in here,” Gibbs called over his shoulder before turning back to Tony. “Ok Tony S’ok…S’ok now shhhh you’re having a nightmare wake up,” Gibbs pleaded.

Suddenly Tony shot up in bed. “NOOOOOOOO! GIIIBBBBBBSSSS!” Tony’s voice was rough from the surgery and the vomiting that had followed it. Gibbs was immediately in action, gently easing Tony back down.

“Shhhh I’m right here…shhhh it’s alright now…you with me?”

Tony blinked hard, trying to get his eyes to focus. The room was dim…he recognized it…he knew that dresser…that wardrobe…it was just like his dream…only different…Tony turned his head to the side and vomited.

Ducky joined Gibbs in the room in time to see Tony throw up on the bed. “Oh dear,” he murmured and turned around to go get the supplies they needed.

Gibbs stayed in Tony’s line of sight, moving away only to turn on a light so Tony could see better. “There we go,” Gibbs murmured. “You with me now?”

Tony stared up at Gibbs…that handsome face…the beautiful blue eyes…the same eyes that stared so lifelessly up at him moments before…Tony’s stomach lurched and he vomited again.

“Woah take it easy, c’mon Tony, let’s sit up, c’mon I got you nice and slow now, it’s alright,” Gibbs murmured slowly easing Tony up. He was surprised when Tony grabbed his arm. The fear in his eyes caused Gibbs to stop and really look at him.

“Hey,” he said softly. “What’d you dream? Talk to me Tony. I’m right here and I’m not leaving. It’s alright.”

Tony pawed at Gibbs with his good hand and grasped at him with the hand hanging out of the sling. He hadn’t spoken since the desperate cry at his waking. Gibbs pulled Tony close, embracing him firmly, running his hand up and down over Tony’s spine.

“S’ok Tony shhhh it’s alright now…I’ve got you…I’m right here…it’s Gibbs…I’ve got you now…you’re safe.”

Tony clung to Gibbs like a lifeline. Ducky came back in and saw the devastation before him and sighed. Every person had their breaking point and it seemed Tony had greatly surpassed his.

“Jethro take Anthony to the bathroom and help him get cleaned up while I put some fresh sheets on the bed,” Ducky ordered. He was very concerned about Tony.

Gibbs scooped Tony up and carried him to the en suite bathroom. He sat him gently on the toilet lid and wet a washcloth. Gibbs put a very gentle hand on top of Tony’s head and tilted his head back slightly. It was easy to see that the drugs were still in effect; Tony’s eyes were open but glazed, and he looked completely lost.

He hadn’t spoken since his terrified shriek in the other room.

Gibbs gently wiped Tony’s face with the cool, damp cloth. Tony blinked at the cool contact and drew in a sharp breath, which turned quickly into a whimper of pain. “Easy,” Gibbs murmured. “You with me?”

“Gibbs,” Tony choked out.

“Hey…I’m right here,” Gibbs said softly. He tilted Tony’s face up and kissed him softly.

“Oh God,” Tony gasped and buried his face in Gibb’s neck. “Oh God it was terrible,” he moaned.

“Talk to me Tony. Tell me what happened. What’d you dream?”

“I dr-dreamed Declan…” Tony heaved again and Gibbs leaned him over the bathtub as he retched helplessly again. When he was finished, Gibbs wiped his face again. “I dreamed he killed you Jethro,” Tony whispered brokenly.

Gibbs kissed him again and hugged him close. “He’s not going to hurt me. He’s not here. We’re at Ducky’s and everybody is safe.”

Tony sagged against him, completely spent. “Hurts,” he whispered.

“I would imagine everything is hurting by now isn’t it,” Gibbs said sympathetically, running his fingers through Tony’s hair. Tony nodded pitifully.

Gibbs kissed the top of Tony’s head. “C’mon babe, let’s get you back in bed.”

xxx

The next morning Ducky checked Tony over carefully and gave him his next dose of painkillers before leaving for work. He gave specific instructions to Gibbs for Tony’s medication dosage and told him to make sure and call if there were any questions or concerns.

Gibbs waved as Ducky drove off and then closed the door to the house, locking it securely. His gut was churning wildly this morning.

As he headed back to Tony’s room he heard Ducky’s mother call him from the dining room. “Matthew? Are you here?”

Gibbs smiled. Didn’t matter how many times he told her what his name was… “I’m here Mrs. Mallard,” he called, detouring to see her. He missed the shadowed figure walking by the window outside.

xxx

Tony was dozing lightly. His leg hurt like a sonofabitch, but it was nothing compared to the fire in his ribs from all the throwing up he’d done the day and night before. He opened one eye and glanced around the room, wondering where Gibbs was. He’d said he was going to go see Ducky out, but he shoulda been back by now, shouldn’t he?

He eased himself up on an elbow to glance down the hall. Gibbs had left the door open for him. As he looked around, he thought he saw something move outside. At a glance it looked like a person had walked by the window. Pushing himself up to sit, he stared out the window, but he didn’t see anything. A few moments later he heard a door open and shut, and a few moments after that he saw Ducky’s dogs running around outside.

Tony blinked and looked away, but just as he averted his gaze he thought he saw movement again. “It’s nothing,” he whispered to himself, even as he felt the cold sweat begin to bead up on his forehead. “It’s one of the agents, it’s fine, everything’s ok,” he whispered.

A moment later Gibbs appeared in the doorway. When he saw the look of near panic on Tony’s face, his eyebrows knit together in concern. “You ok?”

“Thought I saw something outside,” Tony mumbled. “Think my mind is playing tricks on me.”

“I’ve been doing the same thing,” Gibbs reassured him. “I’ve checked with Balboa though; there’s no one out there.”

“No one except Mrs. Mallard,” Tony said with a chuckle, pointing out at the old lady outside with the dogs. Then realization hit. “Oh shit,” he breathed. “Gibbs you’ve got to go get her! She shouldn’t be outside right now"with Declan on the run"God knows he’s crazy enough to kidnap her or something just to get to me. Go make her come in, Gibbs please!”

“Tony I’m not supposed to leave you,” Gibbs reminded him. “You’re on protection detail. The fact that I left you alone long enough to go to the door is enough to say I broke protocol.”

“I’m fine! It’s like you said"there’s no one else here but us and Balboa’s team and Mrs. Mallard. I’d never forgive myself if something happened to her Gibbs. Please?”

Gibbs looked out the window. The old woman seemed to be wandering aimlessly, moving farther and farther away from the house. Damn. Gibbs ran a hand over his face.

“Fine but I’m putting you in the wheelchair before I go and you’re holding my backup weapon until I come back.”

Tony’s eyes widened slightly. “You still don’t think it’s safe do you,” he asked quietly.

“I don’t know what to think. I know Balboa told me there’s no one outside though. We have nothing to worry about.”

“But your gut’s churning,” Tony said, wincing when Gibbs lifted him into the chair. Gibbs put his backup gun in Tony’s good hand and handed Tony his belt. A silent conversation took place as Tony looked at the belt with understanding before nodding at Gibbs.

Gibbs nodded. “Has been all morning.”

Tony kissed him softly. “Hurry back,” he whispered.

Gibbs kissed him again. “You use that gun if you have to.”

Tony nodded. “I will.”

xxx

Tony watched silently out the window as Gibbs made his way across Ducky’s expansive lawn. The dogs were excited to see a new playmate and were jumping around Gibbs’ feet as Gibbs strode purposefully across the grass.

Tony’s gut was tingling too now, after his talk with Gibbs. He really didn’t think they were safe; hadn’t thought so; knew they wouldn’t be until the bastard was dead or in prison. He thought he heard a sound behind him and turned, frowning when he didn’t see anything.

Turning to look out the window again, Tony’s eyes widened and he gasped when he saw the reflection behind him.

“Beautiful day isn’t it, Tony?” Declan sneered as he knocked the gun out of Tony’s hand. Tony started to scream when an iron-like hand slammed over his mouth, muffling any sound he’d make.

“Enjoy it,” the words whispered in his ear. “You’re not gonna live to see tomorrow.”

TBC…
Chapter End Notes:
Hold on tight folks! Thanks to everyone who has read and given feedback. I've reworked chapter 17 and this is the first posting of chapters 18-20. I'd love to know what you think! Love Jen