- Text Size +
Chapter 4: Break Down

Declan stretched and yawned, his body spanning the length of the bed as he uncurled from sleep. He absently rubbed his side as he sat up, drawing a sharp breath when pain from the new bruise caught him. Tony had gotten in a good hit last night before he’d finally gone down. Ah well. No matter. Declan climbed out of bed and walked to the bathroom.

After relieving himself, he flushed the toilet and brushed his teeth before stepping into the shower. The water sluiced over his body and he scrubbed himself clean under the hot spray. Declan paid careful attention to his hands--his nails and fingertips still had blood on them from the night before, and he couldn’t leave evidence of his activities. Once clean, he shut the water off and stepped out of the tub. He quickly shaved while admiring his toned physique and the elaborate serpent tattoo that curved up his right arm before he styled his dark, auburn tinted hair.

Returning to the bedroom, Declan pulled on his sweat pants and a long sleeve t-shirt. After giving himself one last glance in the mirror, he stepped out of the bedroom and walked down the short hallway to the living room. Surprisingly, at some point during the previous eight hours Tony had dragged himself to the sofa, leaving blood smears on the carpet. For a moment, Declan was concerned. He wasn’t sure how he’d cover it up if Tony died while in his company. Kneeling beside his unconscious lover, Declan gently felt Tony’s neck, looking for a pulse.

Panic rose in his gut for a split second before…oh yes. There it was. Satisfied that Tony was still alive, Declan stood back up and scowled as he noticed the state of the apartment. The place was a disaster! Over the last few days, Tony had really been falling down on his responsibilities to keep the place clean. And the blood--oh yes, couldn’t overlook the blood. The rug on the floor would need to be cleaned, as well as the door frame and the kitchen counter. Tony’s body had hit many surfaces in the apartment in the last few days.

Declan smiled as he remembered his surprise at finding Tony at home when he had returned from the Adams House Hotel the previous week.

Flashback:

“What are you doing here,” Declan asked, his eyebrows wide in surprise.

“Director Morrow gave us a mandatory two week vacation,” Tony said sullenly, his eyes on the floor.

“Why didn’t you tell me you had a vacation coming up?” Declan asked sweetly, walking over and wrapping his arms around Tony’s waist. He pressed a gentle kiss to the corner of Tony’s mouth. “I got a little carried away last night, didn’t I,” he said regretfully, looking at the state of Tony’s face.

Tony nodded. “I deserved it though,” he said softly, “I broke the rules.”

Declan nodded. “Yes you did. And you didn’t answer my question,” he said a bit more menacingly. “Why didn’t you tell me you had a vacation coming up?”

“I didn’t know about it until I got to work this morning! They don’t give you a lot of warning--they’re part of the military! They make a decision and you live with it. I swear I didn’t know about it.”

“Keeping secrets will only get you into trouble, my sweet Tony,” Declan said, cupping one hand under Tony’s jaw, choking him slightly. Tony coughed weakly.

“W-wasn-n’t,” he croaked as his air was completely cut off.

Declan slammed him back into the wall, Tony’s head knocking hard against the drywall surface, his vision blurring. “Liar,” he sneered. “You know what happens when you lie to me,” he growled.

End flashback.

Yes, the place was a complete mess and needed cleaning. He certainly couldn’t let Tony out of the apartment looking like he did though; that would just be asking for trouble. Declan would have to go to the store and pick up some cleaning supplies himself. Tony could clean up the mess he’d made once he came to.

Declan locked the door behind him, and was halfway to the store before he realized he’d left Tony’s keys and cell phone in the apartment. He briefly considered turning around, but there was no possible way Tony would wake up and be able to leave before he got back. Besides, Tony wasn’t that stupid; after all, Declan had spent years breaking Tony’s will down. He’d struggled for control at first, but once he’d learned of Tony’s abusive father he used the information against Tony, his Psychology degree being put to use, and before long his boy knew not to break the rules. And Tony leaving would mean intentionally breaking Declan’s first rule.

xxx

The first thing he registered was how cold he felt. Tony swallowed thickly and gazed blearily around his living room. Gasping in pain as he pushed himself up on the sofa (and silently praising himself for having made it there before collapsing) Tony registered the time on the cable box; it was almost three in the afternoon. He was a week to the day into the team’s forced vacation, and he knew he needed help.

He wouldn’t make it another week.

Tony managed to sit up, one arm wrapped protectively around his ribs, the other quivering as he braced himself on the cushion. He didn’t want to fall. He wasn’t looking forward to a broken rib puncturing a lung, and Tony was smart enough to know that Declan wouldn’t call him an ambulance.

Tony took stock of his body, trying to understand why every inch of him hurt. Glancing down, Tony quickly concluded that every inch of him was hurt. Well that explains the pain, he thought to himself. His head felt like it had been kicked in, and each breath brought a knifing pain through his chest, but he vowed that he would find a way out of this damn apartment. He realized he was covered in blood and wondered if that was why he was still feeling so dreadfully cold.

Tony forced himself to his feet and leaned heavily against the wall, ignoring the pain in his ankle and his bad knee. He began to stumble through the apartment, and as he leaned against the wall he left a bloody smear in his wake. Declan had yet to appear, despite the noise he made as he moved around. After wandering through the whole apartment, Tony realized he must have left. Declan was gone. He’d left Tony alone. Tony let out a slow breath and sighed in relief. He had a chance to get away.

Normally Tony would take Declan’s discipline without complaining or trying to escape. After all he’d gotten himself into this situation. But throughout the past week, Declan had taken advantage of Tony’s forced inactivity. On top of the expected verbal abuse, Tony had been beaten, raped, and starved every day since Director Morrow had sent him home from work. Tony had tried in vain to explain to a surprised Declan his job was similar to being in the military--sometimes you were just given leave and told to scram for two weeks. Declan hadn’t appreciated the reference.

Tony finally made it over to the door of the apartment and found his phone and his keys in the bowl on the table. He was surprised that Declan hadn’t taken them with him. Then again, Tony thought, he probably didn’t expect me to wake up, much less move around. He grabbed the items and staggered out. He had to get away before Declan came back. Tony knew he wouldn’t survive if Declan got the chance to attack him again.

Limping badly, he staggered into the elevator, glad that the building superintendant had gotten tired of complaints and now kept it operational. He knew he was admitting defeat to call someone and ask for help, but he also knew he couldn’t do this on his own--if he stayed he’d be dead. He let out a sigh and grimaced in pain as he stepped off the elevator and headed out the back door, his fingers finding the number 2 button on his cell phone. He hit the button and waited for an answer.

“Yeah, Gibbs.”

“B-boss,” Tony’s scratchy voice barely carried through the phone, and he was still so cold.

“DiNozzo? You alright?”

“N-not really, Boss.”

“Where are you?”

“I’m uh,” he broke off shivering, “I-I’m i-in th-the a-alley b-beh-hind m-my a-apart-t-m-ment,” he finally forced out, his body wracked with chills.

“You hurt Tony?”

“Yeah Boss. I uh…need help. Please Boss,” he whispered.

“On my way Tony. Ducky is with me. You just sit tight and hang on.”

Tony heard a noise at the front of the alley. “Shit,” he whispered, “he’s back,” and nearly dropped the phone in his haste to duck behind the dumpster. Declan rounded the corner with a bag of Tony’s bloody clothes in his hand.

“--updating the fuckin’ system! Damn bank, makin’ me drive all over this shit town, giving the sonofabitch time to leave,” he was muttering to himself, “but I’ll kill him when I find him. Fuckin’ pansy won’t run away from me, next time I’ll break both of his goddamn legs.”

By some grace of God Tony managed to stay completely still and silent until Declan went back into the building. Apparently, Declan was trying to clean up the evidence of the last week. Tony lifted his phone to his ear again.

“B-boss,” he asked, uncertain if Gibbs was still on the line or not.

“DiNozzo what the hell is going on?”

Tony flinched; he understood that Gibbs was mad at him; he should be mad, he shouldn’t be calling him while they were on vacation.

“This was a m-mistake,” Tony whispered. “Sh-shouldn’t have called, I’m, I’m sorry,” he said and he quickly hung up.

He stood up from behind the dumpster, not hearing the last words Gibbs said to him, but he moved too fast and as soon as he stood up his head began to swim and darkness edged his vision. He made it three steps before his ankle refused to hold him up anymore and he collapsed to the ground, just as the navy blue charger pulled into the alley, rolling to a stop right in front of the unconscious agent’s body.

xxx

Gibbs was pissed at the director for forcing them to take leave. He was concerned for Tony--obviously something was up because Tony argued about taking a vacation. He wanted Tony to trust him, to talk to him, to tell him what was going on. But Tony hadn’t said a word, and Gibbs feared he never would.

He’d spent some quality time with his boat since he’d been “on vacation.” He felt like he needed to connect with someone; it wasn’t too often that he felt lonely, but it did happen. So he’d called Ducky and invited him over for some steaks--they had to eat dinner early so Ducky could get home to his mother. They’d just sat down to eat when Gibbs’ cell phone rang with Tony’s name on the caller ID.

Ducky knew how Gibbs felt about Tony--both from what he had said and had not said. Ducky urged Gibbs to answer the phone; if Tony was finally reaching out they would be remiss to not step up.

“Yeah, Gibbs.”

Ducky watched as Gibbs’ eyes widened when he heard whatever it was Tony was saying. He didn’t voice his concern as Jethro paced nervously around the room. It was a cool spring day; one of those days when the sky is brilliantly blue and the air is clear. Gibbs was wearing jeans and an old sweatshirt. Ducky himself was wearing casual slacks and a sweater. Like the MCRT, Ducky and Abby had been given the mandatory time off as well.

Gibbs’ voice was calm, but Ducky knew this was only for Tony’s benefit--the man was visibly disturbed by whatever it was Tony was telling him. Gibbs was quiet for a long moment and Ducky could just barely make out the sound of Tony’s voice on the speaker. He couldn’t hear what Tony was saying, but understood it was time to leave. Gibbs had his car keys in his hand and was already motioning with his head for Ducky to follow him. They were in the car and backing out of the driveway in record time.

On the phone, Gibbs could hear some rustling, it sounded like Tony was breathing hard, and his agent was shivering. God, he’s cold--sounds like he’s freezing. I know it’s a cool day today, but what would make him feel that cold? Hell, thought Gibbs, he admitted he was hurt. Gibbs pushed a bit harder on the gas and weaved in and out of traffic.

Gibbs eyes suddenly widened.

“TONY! TONY CAN YOU HEAR ME! TONY! DAMMIT DINOZZO ANSWER ME!”

Gibbs was quiet for a moment, listening for any sound he could hear coming through the phone. He swerved off the exit with a round of blaring horns and turned right heading to the light. A few moments later, Ducky figured Tony must have responded, because Gibbs calmed slightly.

“DiNozzo what the hell is going on,” Gibbs snapped into the phone. Ducky knew it was because Gibbs was scared; he also knew that Tony would likely misinterpret it. Gibbs’ eyes widened again at Tony’s next words and he ran through the intersection turning left while the light was red.

Gibbs pulled into the alley behind Tony’s apartment building just in time to see Tony stagger out from behind the dumpster and collapse.

“Tony!” Gibbs was out of the car before it fully stopped and was running to his senior field agent’s side. He gently supported his body, and turned him over, putting Tony’s head in his lap.

“Ohmygod…Oh Tony,” Gibbs whispered taking in the damage, not sure what to say.

Ducky appeared from behind him with a blanket from Gibbs’ trunk. “Here let’s cover him, Jethro,” Ducky said, spreading the blanket over the still form. “My dear boy, you’ve taken quite a beating,” Ducky said softly. “We should call an ambulance,” he said.

“No,” Gibbs snapped. “Think about it, Duck. Whoever did this to him is close by; why else would Tony hide when he’s outside his own building? If we call an ambulance then we just alerted whoever did this that Tony’s here and he’s getting help. Besides, I have a feeling that Tony’s been trying to keep this a secret.”

Ducky considered this for a moment. “You think this has been going on for…”

“For longer than we’ve known him Ducky,” Gibbs said sadly, cradling Tony against him as gently as he could, trying to share some warmth, trying to stop the terrible shivering.

“I was afraid you’d say that. Well if we aren’t going to call the poor fellow an ambulance, we should get him to your car. He needs to be in a hospital, Jethro.”

At that moment, Tony groaned and his eyelids fluttered.

“Tony,” Gibbs said softly, lightly tapping Tony’s cheek in an effort to get the younger man to come around. “Tony can you hear me? Time to wake up, c’mon now. Wake up Tony, you with me?”

Tony groaned again and his eyes cracked open. Well one did. The other one was swollen shut completely. Gibbs didn’t know how Tony had managed to see to get out of the back of the building, let alone find his cell phone and call for help. His chest swelled with pride at his agent’s strength.

“B-boss,” Tony slurred softly, a touch of wonder in his voice, as though he was surprised that help had actually come. “R-really heeere?” One trembling, blood covered hand lifted and grabbed Gibbs’ arm weakly.

Gibbs ran his fingers through Tony’s hair softly. “Yeah, DiNozzo. I’m really here. Ducky’s here too. We’re going to get you up Tony, but you let us do all the work alright? You just focus on staying awake. We’re going to drive you to the hospital.”

“N-no,” Tony whimpered. “C-can’t,” he said softly.

“Not up for discussion, DiNozzo. I’ll stay with you; I’ve got your six.” Gibbs thanked God that he’d managed to convince Tony to make Gibbs his power of attorney. “C’mon, let us help you. Nice and slow, there we go.”

Gibbs and Ducky slowly helped Tony to his feet, supporting him carefully when his legs struggled to hold his weight. With Tony between himself and Ducky, Gibbs continued his gentle, encouraging mantra all the way to the car. Tony didn’t even try to hold his head up, instead letting it rest heavily on Gibbs’ shoulder.

Gibbs supported all of Tony’s weight while Ducky got another blanket to put down in the backseat before helping Jethro get Tony in the car. Tony had tears streaming down his face and when Gibbs moved to back out of the car, Tony grabbed his sweatshirt.

“Sorry I bothered you,” he whispered, “Never needed anyone before…nobody…ever willing to help…thought I could handle it…thought he loved me…Declan doesn’t love me…it’s never been this bad before, please don’t be angry…I didn’t realize…didn’t know I was in so deep…I just…I had to get out,” Tony begged him, tears still streaming down his face.

Gibbs leaned over Tony and ran a gentle hand over Tony’s forehead. “Shhhh…I’m just glad you finally decided to let us help you,” he said softly. “Don’t worry. It’s alright now. You’re safe. I will protect you,” Gibbs promised and he backed out of the car. He noticed that Tony was watching his every move, and the younger man nodded slowly before leaning back and closing his eyes.

Ducky climbed into the backseat and carefully moved so Tony’s head was resting in Ducky’s lap. “Easy now dear boy, just relax and let us care for you. We’ll have you patched up in no time.”

Gibbs backed out and with a squeal of tires. None of them had noticed the face in the window on the fifth floor. Declan stood looking out over the alley, watching as Gibbs gently touched and cared for his Tony, before carefully putting him in the car and driving away.

“Oh you think you can have my boy that easily, Gibbs? You don’t get to have him. Tony’s mine. He just needs reminding. He won’t leave me. He’s mine. You’ll never have him. I’ll make sure of that, one way or another,” Declan’s quiet voice almost echoed in the otherwise silent apartment.

xxx

Gibbs called Bethesda on their way, to alert them that they were bringing Tony in. He was instructed to pull around to a private entrance, to avoid questions from curious patients in the Emergency Room. A team of medical professionals waited for them by the door with a stretcher and blankets as Gibbs pulled to a stop. Gibbs gently lifted Tony out of the car and onto the stretcher.

Tony’s hand reached out from under a blanket and latched on to Gibbs’ wrist as he turned to get back in the car to go park it.

“N-nooo,” he whimpered, “Don’t…don’t leave…please don’t leave me,” he said softly.

Gibbs looked at Ducky. “I’ll park your car Jethro. Go with Anthony and help keep him calm,” Ducky instructed. Gibbs nodded and stayed with Tony as they moved him inside and the initial personnel left to alert the required specialists.

“Want me to call the team, Tony?”

Tony’s face took on a look of panic as he shook his head and then grimaced. “Easy,” Gibbs said. “I won’t call them if you don’t want me to,” he assured Tony.

Tony let out a soft sigh of relief. A doctor came in and looked in Tony’s eyes. “You have quite the concussion young man. What did you hit your head on?”

Tony blinked slowly at him. “Which time?” His soft, trembling voice was barely audible.

“What do you mean,” the doctor asked, confused.

“I mean which time I hit my head, doc,” Tony whispered.

The doctor looked at Gibbs with a concerned expression. “Tony how many times did you hit your head,” Gibbs asked him.

Tony thought about it…well he tried to think about it, but he just couldn’t figure it out. “Lost count,” he said softly.

Gibbs and the doctor shared another look. “Right,” the doctor said. “Well we will just get you fixed up then. I don’t foresee you being able to go home anytime soon,” he said regretfully. Tony’s eyes widened in fear.

“B-but I have to go h-home; De-Decl-lan’ll…D-Declan’s there,” Tony said softly, trying to sit up. Gibbs made a silent vow to make this bastard Declan O’Sullivan pay for ever laying a finger on Tony.

Gibbs put gentle hands on Tony’s shoulders and eased him back. “Declan isn’t going to hurt you ever again, Tony. Just relax.”

Tony’s eyes widened in fear as he comprehended what Gibbs had just said. “We’ll talk about it later, Tony,” Gibbs assured him softly. “Relax.”

But Tony didn’t want to relax. He was in the hospital--but he needed to get away; Declan would be mad at him for being in the hospital--for letting their secret get out--for asking for help. He needed to go. Tony forgot how hard he’d struggled to escape earlier that afternoon. Now he fought against Gibbs, pushing and shoving against him, trying to get off the stretcher. HE. HAD. TO. GO. What the hell had he been thinking?

Gibbs was trying to help him lie back down, attempting to get him to calm down and trust him, to listen; Tony was having no part of it. Tony knew he had to get away--he couldn’t stay here like this. But Gibbs’ hand closed over his own and just…held it. Momentarily distracted by Gibbs’ gentle touch, Tony didn’t see as Gibbs nodded to the doctor when he held up a syringe. He didn’t see as the doctor quickly inserted it into the IV tube that had been attached to the back of Tony’s hand by a nurse upon his admission to the hospital. A moment later, Tony visibly slackened in Gibbs’ arms, gazing at the IV tube, gasping when he realized that they’d given him something…and then he had the sensation of falling…

Tony let out a strangled moan as he collapsed fully into Gibbs’ arms, eyes fluttering closed as his body settled into a drugged sleep. Gibbs gently eased him back onto the stretcher and straightened the blanket around him.

“Easy Tony,” Gibbs said softly, brushing the hair back from his second’s bloody forehead. “Just rest now. You’re safe. I’ve got you.”

Tony’s eyes fluttered open and he looked at Gibbs, though Gibbs wasn’t sure how Tony was still fighting the medication. Tony’s foggy eyes stared at Gibbs for a long moment before they fluttered closed again.

“Been waiting Boss…”

Gibbs blinked and looked up at the doctor who looked equally confused. Just what was Tony waiting for?

TBC…