- Text Size +
Warning: OOC warning!!
Spoiler Warning: Pre-Series Episode Tag: JAG, Ice Queen and Meltdown

Grounded In Truth
Chapter 2
By WCUGirl

Gibbs didn’t even spare Abby a backwards glance as he raced out of the lab and took the stairs, knowing that would go faster than the elevator. He reached the bullpen in record time, and quickly realized that the elevator had stopped on the lobby floor. Tony was leaving. Gibbs took off back down the stairs and got to the parking lot just as Tony pulled his car out of the parking lot.

“Dammit,” Gibbs muttered to himself.

He pulled out his cell phone and dialed Tony’s number. No answer. He hung up and dialed again. No answer. Memories of the end of his second marriage haunted Gibbs’ mind and he told himself Tony would not ignore him for weeks on end as he had before. They had come a long way since then"Tony trusted him more now than he had then…didn’t he? Finally two hours later, Tony picked up the phone.

“I don’t want to hear any excuses from you Dad,” Tony bit out.

“I’m not going to try to offer you any excuses, Tony,” Gibbs said quietly, running one hand along the rib of his boat as he paced circles around it. “I just want you to listen to my side of the story before you jump to conclusions. You’re a better investigator than that.”

“This has nothing to do with my investigation skills.”

“It has quite a bit to do with them actually. You wouldn’t run off half-cocked on a suspect or a lead. You’d know exactly what you were after and you’d be 100% sure before you did anything. I know you Tony. I thought you knew me too.”

“Dad…look I just…I’m not ready for the whole agency to know my life story ok? Can you blame me for that?”

“Not at all Tony, which is why I say if you had heard what I’d said to Abby two seconds before you walked in, I was telling her that she needed to talk to you to get to know you instead of looking you up on AFIS. I was fussing at her son; I was looking out for you because I knew you’d get upset.”

Tony was quiet for a long moment. His voice sounded sad when he spoke next. “I didn’t hear you say that…Guess I screwed up, didn’t I?”

Gibbs knew that was one of Tony’s biggest fears"screwing up and letting people down, especially Gibbs. He sighed, “No Tony. You haven’t screwed anything up.”

There was a pause for a moment. Then Tony let out a long sigh. “Can I come over this evening Dad?”

Gibbs narrowed his eyes in wonder at the tone in Tony’s voice. His boy sounded…off somehow. The anxiety underlying his tone had Gibbs’ attention. Tony had gotten his own apartment in town recently, but he still showed up at Gibbs’ house several times each week.

“You know you don’t have to ask, son,” he replied softly.

“You ate yet?”

“Nope.”

“Can we have pizza?”

Gibbs smiled. That was the Tony he knew. “Sure son. Pizza sounds great.”

**
When Tony pulled into the driveway he was surprised to see his dad waiting for him on the front porch steps. Tony’s strut from earlier was gone. Gibbs could easily see the slump in Tony’s shoulders. He looked harder at his son. There was still some anger in his eyes, but mostly he saw fear. Gibbs wondered what Tony was afraid of.

“Tony,” he said quietly. “Let’s talk out here,” he suggested softly, “it’s a nice night.”

Tony sat down on the steps next to his dad. His shoulders slumped and his head dropped to his chest. He didn’t look at Gibbs when he spoke.

“I know you have your reputation here, Gibbs,” he said quietly, “and I know what you and I agreed about our relationship. But…dammit Dad this isn’t going to work if this is how it’s going to be. These people have to trust me"Abby is ready to hang me from the light post and beat me with a stick, simply because I walked in the door! Vivian…I don’t know what the hell her problem is…Look Dad…Boss…whatever, I’m not trying to cause big problem here…I just…” he let out a long breath. “Don’t you think we’ve dealt with enough crazy women for a while?”

Gibbs’ lips quirked into a half smile. “I think you’re right,” he said softly. “Tony I was trying to prevent Abby from doing the things you accused us both of doing. I want her to get to know you"I want her to look at you and see the man I see, because he’s a pretty good guy.”

Tony raised his gaze from his shoes to his boss’ face. “You think so?”

Gibbs whacked him over the back of the head. “Right. Of course you do. Sorry about that.” Tony rubbed his head ruefully.

**
Shortly after Tony had moved in with him and Shannon, Gibbs had realized that Tony had a lot of pent up anger he needed to find an outlet for. He knew Tony wouldn’t ever hurt anyone in his family, but he was not convinced that Tony would not engage in self-injurious behavior while trying to work out his demons.

In the ten years or so since Tony had initially moved in, the anger had faded some. However, there were times, like tonight, when Gibbs could see that fiery anger burning hot, just beneath the surface. Once the two had finished eating, Gibbs took Tony to the basement and handed him the sanding block.

“Do your worst to it,” he said with a chuckle. “Don’t think this boat has that much life left in her.”

“You are really going to burn this boat? Why not break it apart and start something new,” Tony wondered.

“Won’t be as sturdy. Need strong unblemished wood to build sound constructions,” Gibbs explained. “Sometimes all that it’s good for in the end is sanding and driving out demons. Get to work,” he’d instructed.

Tony rolled his eyes when his dad turned on the farm report on the local station. But the monotone voice of the reporter was soothing to Tony in a strange way…it was as familiar as the smell of sawdust or the smell of the pine scented cleaner that Gibbs used to polish his wooden floors with. Tony lost himself in the simple back and forth movements with the grain of the wood. He could be himself here, he could talk or be silent, he could tell jokes or complain; it didn’t matter because he was with his dad and he knew his dad would love him no matter what. Sure he’d get a whack over the back of the head if he needed it, and Tony realized that sometimes he really did need it. Like when he forgot that his dad has his six.

Gibbs asked Tony what was bothering him. After several minutes of silence from Tony, Gibbs moved back from the boat to give Tony the space he needed. He could see something was troubling his boy, but he didn’t want to push too hard yet. He’d wait and see what Tony worked out on his own. After that…well then maybe he’d push some, but for now he sat on the workbench and watched his boy sand away at the wooden frame filling the basement. He could strangle Abby for what she did today! He knew that was somehow involved, but Gibbs didn’t know how deeply that went, or if it meant Tony was remembering something else. Gibbs also didn’t understand what had caused Vivian’s attitude with Tony either. Then again, he didn’t understand a great deal of things when it came to that woman.

It went on like this for some time, Tony sanding the boat, Gibbs watching, and the voice on the Farm Report droning on and on.

Hours later, well into the night, Gibbs blinked his eyes open and realized he’d fallen asleep with his back against the wall sitting on the workbench. He looked around the basement, and didn’t see Tony. The sanding block was put away and the farm report had been turned off. There was a soft blanket spread over Gibbs and the man realized he must have been sleeping well in order for his son to sneak around him this way. Gibbs slid off the workbench and made his way up the stairs, turning off the light in his wake. It was time for bed. He frowned when he checked Tony's room and saw that he wasn't there. He hoped his son was getting some rest as well, wherever he'd gone for the evening.

**
Tony wasn’t sleeping. He found he wasn’t even that tired. He drove around aimlessly for hours and didn’t realize where he’d ended up until he was flashing his ID at the guard at the NCIS main gate. He pulled into a spot and grabbed his jacket. The February night was cold and Tony felt the chill when he stepped out of the car. He went inside and immediately went to his new desk. He booted up his computer and while it was loading, he went to the break room and made himself a cup of coffee. Carrying his cup of joe back to his desk with him, he pulled up the AFIS database.

He didn’t know what Abby had seen on him, but he was damn sure going to find out. His fingers typed slowly over the keyboard. He wasn’t the best typer, but he wanted to make sure when he entered his information that he entered it correctly. Finally he sat back and hit enter. Tony took a sip of his coffee while the page loaded. Finally his profile appeared on his screen.

What he saw sent him running for the men’s room to lose his cup of coffee and the pizza he’d eaten earlier.

**
Across town Gibbs wasn’t sleeping either. His gut was churning and it had nothing to do with the spicy sausage Tony had ordered on the pizza they’d eaten for dinner. Something was wrong. He got up and roamed the house, checking the rooms, noting that Tony had not returned, and making sure the shades were pulled and the windows were locked.

He was satisfied that everything was fine and was climbing back into bed when his cell phone rang. His gut immediately kicked into high gear again, and then flipped when he saw “TONY” appear on the caller ID display.

“Tony,” he answered and belatedly realized he hadn’t even said hello.

“Dad…Look I know it’s late…er, early…but…”

“What is it Tony? You alright?”

Tony closed his eyes and leaned against the tile floor in the men’s room on the third floor of the NCIS headquarters building. He didn’t want to think. He didn’t want to remember his parents and what all had happened. He just wanted the reminder that his world was as he had left it when he’d gone home from work the previous afternoon. He wanted reassurance that the whole building didn’t know why he was sitting in the men’s room at three-thirty in the morning.

After a long moment he answered, “Yeah Dad. I’m fine. All the change is just gettin’ to me…y’know?”

Tony had moved jobs and houses in the last months. He’d been nearly killed shortly before that and his safety and security had been severely compromised as a result. Gibbs knew Tony didn’t always respond well to change"especially when he felt like he didn’t have enough say in the choices. As it was, he hadn’t really had any choice but to leave Baltimore. The other choices he’d made…well he’d wanted to work at NCIS, but he hadn’t necessarily wanted to move out of Gibbs’ house. He’d gotten an apartment to keep up appearances, so he could have his own space and Gibbs could have his house back, but Gibbs thought Tony would have been happier to have stayed at Gibbs’ house where he was.

“You’re doin fine with all the changes Tony. I know it’s overwhelming, but you’re doing just fine.”

Tony looked down at the gun in his hand. He leaned his head back hard against the tile wall. “If you say so,” he said softly.

“I say so,” Gibbs retorted.

“See ya in the morning Dad,” Tony said softly.

“Get some sleep Tony. I’ll see you at work. I’ll bring coffee.”

“Sounds good. Night.”

Gibbs disconnected the call without any further conversation. Tony smiled at the phone as he flipped it shut.

Tony set the phone down on the floor in the bathroom. He stared up at the fluorescent lights and hoped that eventually the nightmarish images behind his eyes would fade enough for him to fall asleep. He wasn’t that lucky, but he was convinced that Gibbs had his six and eventually things would work out.

**
The next morning, Tony was at his desk when Gibbs arrived, Hazelnut Latte in tow. Tony gave him a small smile of thanks, while Gibbs raised a concerned eyebrow at him.

Before Gibbs could ask Tony what he was doing at work so early, Vivian stepped off the elevator. Her red hair was a disarray of wild red curls and her brown eyes flashed when she saw the matching coffee cups.

“What?! You’re already bringing the boss coffee? What kind of brown nosing suck up are you? This is just too much!”

“Blackadder! Did you find me a lead on the arms deal going down in Rota yet,” Gibbs barked.

Vivian scowled at him. “I just got here Gibbs,” she said.

“Well then quit raggin’ on DiNozzo and get to work! Pick on Tony on your own time!”

“I have better things to do with my own time,” she said crisply, shooting Tony a dirty look. Her gaze almost faltered when she saw how tired Tony looked. However, no time for that now…her brother’s killer was involved in this arms dealer’s business…she knew it…she just needed to prove it.

Tony stood up when Gibbs said this. “Actually, er Boss,” he said softly. “I have a lead on that case.”

Gibbs looked at him, one eyebrow quirked up. “Yeah DiNozzo? What is it?”

“The uh…the deal is going to be routed out of Sorrento. The ship holding the submersible will pass through Naples before it docks in Rota. That’s where the deal is supposed to go down. The ship docks Thursday, four p.m., Euro time. Contact says the perp is going by the name ‘Mohammed,’ Boss. That’s uh…all I got.”

Tony glanced up at Gibbs from his notes and saw the bright shining approval and pride in his dad’s eyes. Then he stole a glance over at Blackadder. He quickly decided that if looks could kill, he wouldn’t live to see the bust go down.

“That’s more information than Blackadder’s found in a week. That’s good work, Tony,” Gibbs said softly. “Damn good work.”

***
“"and then, ohhhh and THEN the cocky bastard stands up and says, oh boss I got a lead on the case and he goes on to tell him all about the ship’s schedule, where it is and where it is going and docking and when all of it’s going to happen. He even has the contact’s name, has made contact and knows the perp’s name! I swear Abs; I’m ready to kill this guy! Who the hell does he think he is?”

Abby crossed her arms. “Geez Viv, that’s rough. How’d he find out all that stuff? Better question"when did he find it all out? What’d he do, work all night?”

“He brought Gibbs coffee this morning; he couldn’t have worked all night!”

“Actually,” a deep voice cut in, “I brought him coffee instead of him bringing it to me.”

Abby turned around, pissed that Gibbs had snuck up on her twice now.

“GIBBS! Good morning, Bossman,” Abby said, eyebrows high, hoping Gibbs hadn’t heard the whole conversation between her and Vivian. After the way Gibbs had barked at her yesterday, after he’d rain checked her, Abby decided maybe she better try to stay on Gibbs’ good side as much as possible for a day or two.

No suck luck. Gibbs was right back up in Abby’s face a moment later. “Abigail Sciuto,” he said quietly, the threatening tone in his voice unmistakable, “did you and I not already have a conversation about you doing things and saying things behind Tony’s back?”

Abby took a deep breath and, to her credit, didn’t look to Vivian before answering. She nodded silently, her eyes on Gibbs’ face, despite her tucked chin. She was in SO much trouble.

“I thought we had,” Gibbs said simply, “because if we hadn’t we were going to. As it stands right now, since you and I have already addressed this, I am going to go talk to Director Morrow and see to it that a formal reprimand goes into your file.”

“For what,” Vivian snapped. “What did she do that deserves that sort of punishment?”

“She disobeyed a direct order from a supervisor,” Gibbs replied simply. “But this is between me and Abby and doesn’t concern you, Blackadder.”

“She’s my friend Gibbs! It does concern me! This could get her into a lot of trouble!”

Gibbs nodded and looked at Abby. “You’re absolutely right, Vivian. Why, I’d wager that if her behavior or yours continues in this way, it could even result in suspension or termination. I will not tolerate insubordination or gossip, especially when it is potentially harmful to another one of my agents. Are we clear?”

Both of the girls nodded. Gibbs nodded once. “I’ll be back down with the reprimand form for you to sign off on Abby,” Gibbs said quietly. He hated to be like this, but he had to be firm"he’d warned Abby to stop and she hadn’t listened. Now she would pay the price.

“What makes DiNozzo so special anyway,” Vivian asked.

“He’s your partner, Blackadder. Why don’t you tell me?”

“I wouldn’t know Gibbs. I’m still trying to understand why you hired the drooling ape to begin with!”

Gibbs raised an eyebrow. “You’ll have a reprimand form to sign as well Blackadder. In the mean time I suggest you get to know your partner a bit. Abby, it would do you well to keep your mouth shut and focus on your job and not so much on the goings on in this office.”

Without another word and without giving them a chance to reply, Gibbs turned and left them in the lab, speechless.

TBC…
Chapter End Notes:
I will post more chapters in a couple of days