- Text Size +
Chapter 5

Gibbs entered Tony's room as quietly as he could. He took a seat beside Tony's bed an waited for him to wake up.

The nursing staff moved in and out of Tony's room constantly, checking his vital signs, IVs and just generally talking to him. They were seeing how close he was to waking up. Tony was taking a little longer than expected, and it had the nurses a little on edge.

"He takes time to wake up." Gibbs assured them. "It makes him really sick too." Gibbs said, as a warning.

Tony woke up completely almost an hour later. Gibbs stood up when he heard movement and moved to the bed. Tony threw up almost immediately. He turned on his uninjured shoulder and somehow managed not to miss the emesis basin Gibbs had ready for him.

Gibbs wiped Tony's mouth and then gave him a little ice to help his dry throat and to get the bad taste out of his mouth.

Gibbs waited a few moments for Tony to wake up completely before he asked his question. "What happened, DiNozzo?"

Tony shook his head. "I was just asking questions. The guy I was talking to was...antsy. He didn't want me there. He didn't want company. I...I started to move toward him and.... And he, he just pulled out a gun. I guess he didn't want me to get near his car. He was in his car, getting ready to leave." Tony stopped talking and put his hand to his shoulder. It was really, really hurting.

Gibbs pushed the button for the nurse and she appeared moments later with a needle and injected it into one of the IV ports. She then left the room.

Tony waited a few moments before he continued. The pain seeming to be under better control. ""I stumbled, but I didn't fall when he shot me. I ducked behind some bushed he had in his yard then I went around the house. I thought he was following me so I tried to stay low and keep moving. I finally made it back. It seemed like it took forever. It was probably only about 5 minutes." Tony paused again. "I got into the car. I had to run so far to get back. I was...I was panicked thinking something had happened to them, McGee, Ziva. I...They didn't come, and I called three times. That was before I got shot. I...There was static on the tap, Boss. I know it was working."

Gibbs was pacing the floor by this time. His gut clenching and unclenching. He knew the tap worked. He had had Abby test it before it was used. He had been there with her. It was procedure to test all equipment and it was all, he knew, in working order. WHAT the hell was going on?

Tony watched Gibbs pace. He didn't like it when Gibbs did that, especially when he, himself, was unsure of the reason. But he assumed, as he always did, that he had screwed up.

"Boss." Tony said trying to get Gibbs' attention. "I'm...."

"You are not sorry, Tony." Gibbs stopped and looked at him. "This is not you. Something's...."

"Hinky?" Tony offered.

Gibbs nodded. "Exactly."

"Did you see Ziva in here?" Tony asked.

"What?" Gibbs asked, surprised.

"Ziva, she...."

Gibb shook his head. "I sent Tim and Ziva back to NCIS with the evidence to give Abby. They never had time to see you before they left, you were in surgery."

Tony and Gibbs looked at each other for a moment.

"She was in here?" Gibbs asked.

"I think." Tony said, scrubbing his hand over his face. "I...I was so groggy. I think Jimmy was in here too. Hell, I could have been visited by the president of the United States. I...I'm not sure."

"Jimmy was here." Gibbs said nodding. "He came by for Ducky. Ducky wanted to know if your lungs were affected in anyway. They were not." Gibbs continued. "Jimmy knows one of the med students who I saw at the desk when I just came in. He could have let Jimmy in to see you."

Tony nodded. "OK, so maybe I was awake. Maybe."

"But why would Ziva come back when I sent them back NCIS. They know they are supposed to be working on the case. Figuring out who shot you, and...." Gibb said, thinking out loud. He had started to pace again.

"Your gut?" Tony asked.

"Yep." Gibbs replied.

There was just a moment or two of silence before Gibb's phone range.

Tony could only hear Gibbs side of the conversation. "Gibbs...whoa, Abby. He's fine....Yes, he is....I promise he is." From Gibbs reaction there must have been a monumental pause. "What is it, Abby?" Gibbs paused, listening. "What is it, Abby?" Gibbs repeated.

Tony could tell it must have been something very big or very bad or both. He could picture Abby pacing her lab wringing her hands.

"Ok, Abby....I'll be there....Yes, I will, ASAP. I...I'm coming, Abby." Gibbs listened again.

Gibbs hung up. "Abby said there's something going on with the evidence." Gibbs started out the door. "I'll be back."

Tony nodded and closed his eyes.

TBC