- Text Size +
Chapter 7

"Gibbs." Gibbs said, answering his phone before it stopped its first ring.

"You are needed in Autopsy, Jethro." Ducky said, dispensing with the formalities.

"We have no bodies...." Gibbs started . He was still reeling from the information Abby had just given him.

"Trust me, Jethro." Ducky stated. "You will want to hear this."

"On my way, Duck." Gibbs said, then snapped the phone shut.

Gibbs arrived moments later and Jimmy repeated what he had told Ducky.

"I am sorry I didn't say something to you at the hospital." Jimmy stated.

"It's OK, Jimmy." Gibbs said. "Your mind didn't go there. You aren't a suspicious person."

Jimmy nodded, grateful Gibbs understood.

"I hope Timothy and Ziva are not involved in this, Jethro, whatever this is." Ducky called out as Gibbs started to leave.

Gibbs sighed. "I do, too. I do, too." Gibbs repeated. "For their sakes, I do too." Gibbs said under his breath as he clenched his fists in anger.

Gibbs went over what he knew in his head. Abby had told him about a broken, tampered with, most likely, hidden mic. And the audio tape with a possibly recorded over section. Jimmy had told him of a conversation with Ziva saying she would destroy a hidden mic and then seeing her sneaking back into the hospital after he had sent them back to NCIS to work on the case.

Gibbs gut was working overtime as he contemplated what it could all mean. He wanted, desperately, to get back to the hospital. He had told Tony he would be back soon. He didn't want to break his promise. He knew Tony would be expecting him.

Gibbs tried to reject the answer that kept creeping into his thoughts. But they were, it seemed, the only common denominators. Both Tim and Ziva had free access to the hidden mic and the audiotape. They were both in the evidence bag. Ziva had actually spoke of destroying a mic. But why did she show up at the hospital to talk to Tony? What happened in that car after Tony was shot? Did they say something they wished they hadn't? Did Tony reach a conclusion they wished he hadn't? Was Ziva trying to convince Tony something had happened, or had not happened?

Gibbs shook his head to clear his thoughts as he stepped off the elevator on the third floor. He looked towards the bullpen to see both Ziva and Tim, heads bent, hard at work. He got their attention and motioned for him to come with him into the elevator.

Tim and Ziva looked at one another, briefly, unsure what it was all about. They knew, or at least, thought they had covered their bases.

Gibbs shut the power then they were all in the elevator.

"So, Ziva, did you have a nice visit with Tony?" Gibbs asked.

Ziva took just a second to recover. She hoped her guilt was not evident on her face. "What?"

"I asked you if you had a nice visit with Tony." Gibbs restated.

"When would I have...?" Ziva asked.

"When would you have had time?" Gibbs finished the question. "You were supposed to be here, working on the case. But I have two witnesses...two very reliable witnesses, as far as I am concerned. These people say you were there." Gibbs paused. "My question is, though, Ziva. What was so important you could not wait for Tony to wake up? Why was your visit so short? And why didn't you want anyone to know you were there?"

As Gibbs stood, waiting for answers, Ziva's mind was racing. She had not been seen, it was not possible. She had been so careful. And two witnesses! Who were they? She was not sure Tony would remember her visit. In fact, she had not wanted him to. She had just wanted him to remember her words. She knew her visiting like she had, if she were caught, would be questioned. She knew as long as Gibbs knew Tony was not gravely injured, Gibbs would expect them to work on the case and solve it. Then they could visit Tony. Her 'early' visit would do nothing but raise questions.

"I didn't...." Ziva started.

"I would be VERY careful if I were you, Agent David. These witness are not at all likely to lie to me. They have no reason too." Gibbs paused, trying to control his anger. "You, however, it would seem, would have good reason to lie. Why is that?"

Gibbs then turned his attention to McGee. "Why would that be, Tim? What is your part in all of this?"

Ziva then spoke up. "I...I went back because I was concerned about Tony. He is my partner. I did not stay long because I did not want to disturb him. I know he has a difficult time with anesthesia. And I was not trying to sneak in. I did not go to the nurses' station because I am not family and I knew they would not let me in because of that."

"And I told you he was going to be fine. His doctor said that his shoulder will probably be as good as new. I told you to go back to NCIS and work on the case. I don't give you orders for them to be disobeyed. I would not lie to you about Tony's condition. You know that." Gibbs stated.

"Yes." Ziva conceded. "I do."

"Seeing him shot..." Tim added. "...it was...hard. Seeing him bleeding, when he passed out.... We just...." Tim paused. "...we just wanted to make sure he was OK." Tim knew he was only telling a half-truth. He was a little panicked when Tony had passed out. But only because he would not know how to explain the reason Tony was shot in the first place.

Gibbs nodded, though he knew Tim and Ziva were lying. He wanted them to hang themselves. Now the only thing he needed to do was find the connection. The reason they did it. He needed to talk to Tony again.

TBC