- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tony is sick and as he is giving up on life he slips into a coma
Abby started crying when she heard from Ziva that Tony was coughing up blood before he collapsed. It just made his hinky behavior that much more upsetting. Gibbs was immediately on the phone with Ducky to have him meet them in the bullpen.

Everyone arrived in the bullpen. Ziva was kneeling beside an unconscious Tony. Duck immediately began examining Tony.

"Jethro, we need to get him to Bethesda. He is burning up."

"I will call an ambulance." Ziva offered.

"No, that will take too long. I'll drive. Duck you come with me and keep an eye on him. The rest of you meet us there." Gibbs ordered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Brad Pitt met them at the entrance. Tony was barely alive, he was having trouble breathing. Brad took over and took Tony into a private emergency room. Gibbs paced the waiting room, Ducky sat in the chair watching him pace. Abby, Ziva and Tim came running into the waiting room.

"Bossman, how is he?" Abby cried.

"We haven't heard yet. But you know Tony, he can get through anything." Gibbs comforted.

"Are you sure?" Abby asked wearily.

"Yes, I have not given Tony permission to die on me; you know he won't disobey a direct order."

Brad walked up to them. "Gibbs can I talk to you over here?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gibbs walked up to Brad and he took Gibbs into an empty exam room. Brad really didn't want to be the one who give him the bad news.

"How is Tony?" Gibbs asked.

"He has pneumonia, but that isn't the worse part." Brad started.

"What could be worse than pneumonia with his lungs?" Gibbs asked.

"He slipped into a coma. He is not fighting. Unless he begins to fight this, he will die. We have done all we can, the rest is up to him." Brad responded.

Gibbs felt like someone had punched him in the gut. Brad left to check on Tony. Gibbs just stood there in shock; he can't even imagine losing Tony like this. Well he knows one thing for sure, he is going to go in there and rip hip him a new one.

"What the hell do you think you are doing? I did not give you permission to die. You are going to fight this and you will win, I will not expect anything less from you. You hear me DiNozzo; that is a direct order."

Gibbs looked at the machines and saw there was no change. Abby had said that Tony had been acting more hinky than he usually does on his birthday. Whatever the reason behind his hinky behavior is somehow tied into his reason to not want to fight; and it is not like they can ask him what is going on.

"You listen to me DiNozzo and you listen good; we are not through with conversation yet." He growled.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gibbs went back to the waiting room where the others were waiting for word.

"How is he?" Abby cried.

"Tony has pneumonia and he slipped into coma." Gibbs answered.

"But he will be alright, yes?" Ziva asked.

"I don't know. He is refusing to fight the illness. He has given up and we don't know why."

"No, he has to fight; he just has to." Abby cried.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A week had passed and there had been no change in Tony's condition. The pneumonia has cleared up, but Tony won't wake up. Gibbs only leaves Tony's side to shower and for coffee. Brad put an extra bed in there for Gibbs to sleep on. The team usually comes to visit Tony and brings Gibbs some food.

"Are we any closer to finding out what caused his hinky behavior before he collapsed?" Gibbs asked Abby one day when she came to visit.

"No, boss. I'm afraid not, but I will not give up." Abby said and then turned to her unconscious friend. "You hear me, I won't give up. So you better not either."

Brad came into the room to check on his patient. No change.

"He can stay in a coma until his body gives out. Even with the IV's we have had him on; he is still losing a lot of weight. We can't seem to stop it."

Abby and Brad left the room leaving Gibbs alone with Tony.

"Come on Tony, you need to fight. You need to wake up. You survived the pneumonic plague, are you really going to let something like pneumonia beat you." He begged.

"Leroy, come let's get you some real food." A voice said.

Gibbs looked up to see his father standing there.

"No, I need to stay with him." Gibbs argued.

"You need a break, you aren't doing him any good if when he finally decides to wake up, and he sees that you are exhausted." Jackson said dragging Gibbs away from the unconscious agent.

"It is okay Jethro; I will sit with Anthony while you are gone." Ducky offered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gibbs came back 3 hours later; he walked in the middle of Ducky telling him one of his stories. Jackson decided to stay with his son in Tony's room for support. He wasn't there for him when he lost Shannon and Kelly. There had been a time where he didn't think he would ever see his son again. Maybe he wouldn't have if there hadn't been that case that brought Leroy to Stillwater.

Jackson really hopes that this young man finds a way to survive this, because if he doesn't than neither will Leroy.

"I don't know what is going on in that head of yours as to why you won't fight for your life. But this is me begging you to fight, begging you to wake up." Gibbs pleaded desperately to the young man he loves as a son.

Tony's machines started going haywire before they stopped completely.

BEEEEEEEEEEP…..