- Text Size +
Chapter 12: I’ll Never Leave You

“Tony, I got a call from Dr. Pitt on the way home.”

“Brad?”

“Yeah. He wanted me to talk to you…we need to call him back once we make a decision.”

“Okkaaayy…what’s up?”

“Last night there was a baby born at the hospital. Male pregnancy, teenage kid, disowned by his parents. Huge mess. Then the kid didn’t survive childbirth.”

“The baby’s daddy didn’t survive?”

“No…he was hemorrhaging too badly…they couldn’t get it stopped. He died on the table,” like you almost did, Gibbs added to himself.

“Oh wow that sucks…ok so how’s that affect us?”

“The kid’s family…they don’t want the baby. They told Brad to find the baby a family where it could receive care and love, but where they wouldn’t have to take care of it.”

“Brad thought of us?”

“Brad thought of us,” Gibbs confirmed. “There’s nothing wrong with the baby"he’s perfectly healthy.”

“He?”

“A little boy, yes.”

“What’s his name?”

“The family won’t name him. Right now they’re calling him ‘Baby X’ at the hospital. Brad thinks we should consider the possibility of adoption…since we can’t…since we can’t have anymore kids on our own.”

Tony looked at Gibbs, uncertainty flickering in his eyes. “What do you think?”

Gibbs thought about it for a moment. He knew it was a big decision to make. He knew that it would be good for Tony, but God…if something were to happen to this kid; Gibbs didn’t know what they’d do. Still…

“I think we should at least go talk to them.”

Tony tackled him in a hug and wrapped his arms tightly around Jethro’s neck. “Thank you,” he whispered, as Gibb’s arms wrapped around him just as tightly. “I wouldn’t have asked you to do it, but thank you…thank you…thank you so much,” he said. “When can we go?”

“We can go as soon as you like. All we need to do is phone Brad and tell him we’re coming.”

“Jet…with me quitting NCIS…and the settlement money…and my trust fund…and your income…I don’t need to work do I? I could stay home with him?”

Gibbs smiled. “Wouldn’t have it any other way, Daddy,” he smiled. “Let’s go see if this is something we want to do.” Tony nodded eagerly and Gibbs picked up his keys.

Gibbs knew though, even before the front door closed behind them, that their family would be growing.

He could feel it in his gut.

***
Not surprising, Tony and Gibbs both immediately fell in love with the tiny infant. Brad contacted social services and background checks were started the next day to begin the adoption process. The family wanted a closed adoption"they didn’t want pictures or updates. They simply wanted to know that this innocent child went to a family where he would be loved. They didn’t need to know anymore than that.

Gibbs and Tony collected some information from the child’s birth family"medical history, allergies"things that could be beneficial to the child in the future. The family was pleased that the child would go to two such loving parents. They were a little concerned that his parents would be a same-sex couple, but it wasn’t enough concern to change their minds. After all his father had been…like them.

Tony worked his two weeks notice at NCIS while they waited for the adoption to be approved. Jenny hadn’t been happy when she heard Tony was resigning; she’d been angry with Kate for making the comments she’d made to Tony. However, with the news of the adoption, Director Sheppard couldn’t fault Tony for wanting to stay home with the little one"especially after everything that had happened. They worked out that his last day of work would be the day before they found out about the adoption.

Tony was sad to see this part of his life end, but he was excited to see what the next new chapter would bring him. He counted it as a victory"he’d been with NCIS for five years"longer than any other agency he’d worked for, and he wasn’t leaving town in the middle of the night. He had a home and a family that loved him"he couldn’t imagine being anywhere else.

Finally it came time for the meeting with social services. Gibbs and Tony were approved for the adoption.

A social worker brought the baby in. “He doesn’t even have a name; the family wouldn’t give him one. Two weeks old, and still no name.”

Gibbs reached out and took him from social worker. Jethro smiled at Tony. “What should we name him, Tony?” Tony smiled and looked at their son. “Jackson Donald Gibbs-DiNozzo.”

Gibbs smiled and put an arm around Tony, pulling him close and together they smiled down at their son. They thanked the social workers for their assistance and left to take their baby home. Tony teased Jethro mercilessly about how slowly he drove the car. “This is the most careful you’ve ever been behind the wheel of a car ever Jet! Even when I was pregnant you didn’t drive like this!”

Normally Gibbs would have reacted by swerving unexpectedly or braking too hard. Now he just smirked at his partner and maintained his pace. Tony laughed and stuck his tongue out. Then he turned back to the little person riding beside him in the car seat in the backseat. “You ever going to ride up front again, Tony,” Gibbs quipped, trying to keep his eyes on the road while still watching his lover.

Tony shrugged. “Maybe not,” he smiled down at the baby, fascinated by the tiny form. “Maybe not ever again.”

When they arrived home, the first thing Tony did was fish Jack out of the carrier and take him over to the mantle where the photographs of Jethro, Shannon and Kelly and he, Jethro and Tess were located. He introduced the baby to every person in the photographs who would be absent in the years to come. It was important to Tony and to Jethro that Jack know his entire family.

That night they tucked Jack into his crib together. Tony covered him with a blanket, and swallowed the lump in his throat. Gibbs put a hand on Tony’s shoulder. “You okay?”

“Just never thought I’d get the chance to do this…didn’t think we’d get to have a kid, y’know? Especially after…after everything that happened.”

Gibbs pulls him close in a tight embrace. “We can start putting all that awful mess behind us now. We’ll always love Tess, she’ll always have a place in our hearts…but we have Jack now. He needs us to love him as much as we need someone to love.”

At that moment a very distinct smell wafted up from the crib. Jack didn’t wake, didn’t even stir, and Tony covered his nose with his hand. “Oh…my…god,” he gasped, choking slightly, then chuckled. “What did we just sign up for,” he snickered.

Jethro noticed the little guy was awake again and picked the baby up and passed him to Tony.

“I signed adoption papers, not poop duty forms.”

“Waitaminute, you promised you’d be with me every step of the way!”

Gibbs kissed his cheek and smiled. “I did promise you that. And I’ll never leave you…I’m simply going to the other room to wait for you,” he said sweetly, backing out of the room, a hand covering his nose and mouth.

“Not fair, Jethro! You can’t leave me with…with this! Aww God…uggh it stinksss…”

Gibbs blew him a kiss. “I will never leave you Tony"I have your six…I’m not that much of a bastard…however for that,” he wrinkled his nose and took another step back, “for that you are just the very special agent for the job.”

“Gibbs!”

“We have a new rule Tony.”

“We do?”

“Yep…better learn it now so you can help me teach it to Jack…rule 72, no whining!”

Groans and laughter could be heard echoing through the house.

TBC…
Chapter End Notes:
You've wanted happy: Here's your happy! :) Enjoy! 1 more chapter and the Epilogue will be posted next week.