- Text Size +
Chapter 13

Abby hesitated outside Ziva's room. She didn't know if she wanted to hear the answer to the questions Ziva would give. Abby was scared she already knew the truth. And she wondered if she could stand to hear what it was Ziva might tell her.

Abby entered the room. Ziva was awake and turned her head to the door to face her visitor.

"Ziva." Abby said in way of greeting. She sat down in the only chair in the room. Normally she would have fawned over Ziva and tried to hug her. This time she just sat in her chair pensively. She didn't know what to say.

There were several moments of an uncomfortable silence.

"Are you…okay?" Abby asked. She was still angry, but she was trying to keep herself in check.

Another awkward moment.

"I am fine." Ziva replied. "I…."

"Why?" Abby asked. The dam had broken. Tears were streaming down her face and the anger had returned. "Why? Why would you try to kill him?" Abby demanded. "What did he do to you?"

"You would not understand." Ziva replied.

"I don't have to understand." Abby replied, angered even more by Ziva's answer. "It doesn't matter what your reason is, Ziva, because, I can guarantee you, I will not understand!" Abby said, raising her voice. "That's not the point! I…I just need you to say it. I need YOU to tell me why you felt the need to try to kill Tony. Not one time, but twice." Abby stood up and started to pace the room. "I need to hear those words coming out of YOUR mouth!"

"Abby…I…." Ziva said, struggling.

"You seemed clear on your reason when you were doing it. When you had the knife poised over Tony's chest…."

Ziva looked surprised.

"Yeah, Ziva. I heard it all! Gibbs told Ducky and I every hateful hurtful part." Abby explained. "I just want to know why."

"My country…my father…I…I do not want to go back there. I do not want to end up like Ari. I do not want to be a pawn in my father's games anymore." Ziva explained. "If…if Gibbs had found out about the hidden mic. He…he would have put me in jail. My father would have gotten me out. But on the condition I return to Israel. I…" Ziva explained. "…I would have never been able to return here…to the United States…to my home."

Abby couldn't believe her ears. "You're right! I don't understand! You should have stayed in Israel. You're still that same cold-hearted assassin you were before you joined NCIS! You haven't changed. You had us all fooled though, Ziva David. You really did. And it's no easy task to fool Leroy Jethro Gibbs, so…" Abby paused and clapped her hands mockingly. "Brava!"

Abby headed for the door.

"Abby?"

Abby turned and wiped away her angry tears. "As far as I'm concerned, Ziva David, you deserve to die. YOU were the one who messed up! YOU were just trying to cover your ASS! He's still in a coma, Ms.David." Abby hissed. "If he dies…." Abby paused. "Enjoy prison!"

NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS

Abby stared at Former Agent Timothy McGee through the thick glass of the prison vistor's room. She had waited a few days after the incident in Autopsy. And a day after her confrontation with Ziva, she studied the now fading bruise on his face as she picked up the phone on the wall in the cubicle.

"Abby…."

"Tim, I…I have given this a lot of thought. I was not going to come here. I…."

"I'm glad you did." Tim stated.

Abby continued. "I just have one question for you. I don't want to hear anything else you have to say. I just want to know...why?"

"Abby, I'm so sor…."

"No apologies, Tim. I'm not the person who you need to apologize to. I'm not the one you hurt."

"I hurt you, Abby." Tim said. "And I am sorry."

"I don't want your apology. I don't need it, and I don't accept it." Abby replied. "You didn't betray me like you did Tony. I wasn't your partner." Abby explained. "He depended on you. He trusted you, with…his… life, Tim. Here is not higher, more sacred level of trust. And you…you just…" Abby shook her head. She was so angry and hurt she just shook her head. She hung up the phone and started to stand when Tim tapped on the glass.

Abby settled back in to the chair and picked up the phone. She stared through the glass, waiting for Tim to speak.

"He's….I…how is he senior field agent?" Tim shook his head. "Why has Gibbs put up with him all these years? I just don't…. A physical education degree…."

"You don't know because you never took the time to look. You never cared enough to try to get to know him, Tim. How much does he know about you, your family?" Abby asked, as a means of illustration. "How much do you know about him, his family?"

Tim thought about it. Tony knew a great deal about his family. Tony had asked questions. He had inquired, followed up when Tim had mentioned things. Tim, well, he guessed it was true. He hadn't cared enough.

"How is he, Abby?"

"If I thought you really, truly cared, Tim, I would answer that. But I'm not sure you do."

Tim opened his mouth to speak and then snapped it shut. In all honesty he was not sure which it was either.

"You have always downed Tony for his level of education. But he has more education than you know. You could have looked it up. You have that level clearance, but, obviously, you didn't." Abby stated. "But that is not even the point here, Tim. He was your superior. He was your superior and he earned the position. Leroy Jethro Gibbs doesn't give anybody, anything. You should know that by now."

"Abby….I am sorry." Tim said. "Tony…if he...when he recovers...he won't want to hear it from me. But…please…please tell him how sorry am, for everything."

"If or when Tony wants to speak to you…to hear your apology…" Abby said as she got ready to go. "…he'll know where to find you."

TBC
Chapter End Notes:
Abby may be a little OOC here. I thought Abby would be the best person to go and get the "answers" we are all wanting. She would have the most patience. I don't think Ducky could stand to be in the same room with either of them at this point. And I KNOW Gibbs couldn't. Enjoy!