- Text Size +
Gibbs was sitting by Ziva's bed in her hospital room when Tony walked in. Tony silently put a chair next to Gibbs and sat down.

"What did the doctor say?" asked Tony.

"She has a small amount of swelling on her frontal lobe. She may have brain damage but the doctor can't be sure until she wakes up. If she wakes up. The rat poison travelled too far into her body through her bloodstream," replied Gibbs. He sounded as though he was about to cry.

"It's not your fault boss. You didn't do it on purpose." Tony looked at his boss and was surprised to see that tears were falling down his face. Looking down, Tony also noticed that Gibbs was holding Ziva's hand.

"I gave her the second dose of poison DiNozzo."

"Not on purpose. You were trying to save her boss. I'd have done the same thing."

"She was trying to tell me that it was the poison. She was shaking her head and I thought she was just scared. If I'd have listened to her, she wouldn't be in this mess."

"Don't blame yourself. You did what you thought was best. She's not going to blame you. I'll bet that she'll wake up and immediately ask for you."

Gibbs looked up at his senior field agent and smiled. He knew that Tony was trying to make him feel better, but, until Ziva woke up, it wasn't going to work.

"Thanks DiNozzo for trying. Until she wakes up, I won't stop blaming myself."