- Text Size +
Gibbs walked into the bullpen with a smile on his face. McGee was startled because they hadn't had any reason to smile for the last week and a half.

"What's up boss?" asked McGee.

"I've got good news. Ziva's awake. She woke up last night and frightened DiNozzo," said Gibbs. "I'm going to tell the others."

"Where is Tony?"

"With Ziva. She knows what happened but Tony is trying to help her remember the guy that hurt her."

Gibbs walked off and McGee picked up his phone.

***Abby's Lab***

"Abby, Ducky, Ziva's awake. Do you want to come to the hospital with me?" asked Gibbs.

Abby and Ducky both jumped at the thought of finally being able to see their friend again.

***Bethesda Naval Hospital***

"Okay, we'll try one more time and then you can rest. Does he have straight or curly hair?" asked Tony.

Ziva had just woken up. The doctor hadn't come in yet.

"Straight. And it was black," said Ziva.

Tony looked at his partner. Once Ziva had woken up that morning, Tony had asked her if she wanted to go out on a date when she got out of the hospital. Ziva had said yes and then tried to lift herself up to kiss Tony. The result had been lots of pain. In the end, after watching Ziva struggle, Tony had taken pity on her and leaned down to kiss her forehead.

Five minutes later, the door opened and a doctor walked in. He came over to the bed and smiled at Ziva.

"Agent DiNozzo, Jessie told me that Miss David woke up during the night. Do you know what time that was?" asked Dr Smith.

"Around one in the morning," replied Tony.

"Okay. Ziva, I'm Doctor Smith. How are you feeling?"

"Not too great. My head hurts and I don't feel too well," said Ziva.

"Okay, I know you're in pain but I don't want to give you any painkillers just yet. I think we should do your tests first so that we don't compromise the results. Do you think you can do that?"

"I'll try. What are the tests?"

"I need to do a CT scan and some blood tests."

"Okay. I can wait then."

*********

"Ziva, I need you to stay as still as possible for me please. This won't take long," said Dr Smith.

After ten minutes, Dr Smith took Ziva back to her room.

"Ziva, I'm sorry if this hurts you sweetie. I'm going to take some blood so I can do a few tests," said Dr Smith.

"That's okay. I trust you," said Ziva.

Dr Smith smiled and finished off his tests. He then gave Ziva some painkillers. After he left, Tony walked in and kissed Ziva's head.

"Hi sweetie. Gibbs, Ducky, Abby, McGee and Vance are here. Do you feel up to talking to them?" asked Tony.

"I don't mind. Is Gibbs blaming himself?" asked Ziva.

"Not as much but he still thinks it's his fault that you ended up in a coma."

"Time to fix that then Tony."

*********

"Hey Gibbs," said Ziva. She was smiling.

"Hi Ziva. Listen, I know that apologies are a sign of weakness but I'm sorry that I got you into this mess Ziva," said Gibbs.

"It's not your fault. I'm pretty sure that Tony told you that Gibbs. Don't blame yourself. I'm fine. I'm awake, aren't I?"

Gibbs couldn't help smiling at this. Ziva was so sweet. It was hard to imagine her as the cold-blooded killer that she had been when they had first met.

"Yeah, you are." He started to smile more and Ziva knew that she had made him feel better.

"Told you so."

Ziva and Gibbs spent the next half an hour laughing at Ziva's phrase mistakes and jokes that Gibbs made.