- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Tim is locked in a battle for not only his mind but his life. The nightmare continues.
Gibbs didn't know how long he slept but when he awoke he found Tim thrashing on the bed threatening to pull out the iv's and the monitoring equipment. Gibbs leaned over and began to whisper into McGee's ear. “I'm here Tim. Your safe and I am here for you. Take it easy or your going to hurt yourself. Please calm down.” Gibbs softly stroked Tim's hair and leaned down and kissed his lips tenderly. That seemed to calm the young man down. Just then the doctor rushed in.
“What happened agent Gibbs?” The doctor asked.
“ I think Tim was having a nightmare. This one was worse than any before doctor. I'm worried about him. His mind is having problems dealing with what happened to him. Is there anything we can do to ease his mind and maybe make the nightmares go away?” Gibbs asked worry in his voice evident.
“ All I can do is give him a sedative agent Gibbs.”
“Then by all means do it. He can't go on like this his mind is going to shatter. I just found him I can't lose him because of this.” Gibbs said the pleading evident in his voice.
“All right I will send the nurse in with a sedative right away.” The doctor said as he left to get the sedative.
When the doctor was gone Gibbs pulled out his cell phone and dialed Paul and Jeff's number. It seemed like forever before they answered.
“ Gibbs whats wrong? Whats happened to Tim?” Jeff asked worry evident in his voice.
“ McGee had a nightmare a really bad one this time. He almost pulled his IV's out and the monitoring equipment. I think he is losing it Jeff. I don't know what to do or say. I can't lose him. He is my life. My heart and soul. I don't know what I will do if I lose him but I can't seem to get through to him. He thinks I don't want him because of this and that the team and me would be better off with out him. He wants to die Jeff. I can't let that happen. He thinks that he would be better off if he had never been born or if his father had killed him after the first time this happened. What am I going to do? I need your help Jeff?” Gibbs cried. The pain inside him was tearing him apart. It hurt him to think that McGee didn't want him or that McGee thought that Gibbs didn't want him and that the team didn't want him.
“Gibbs calm down me and Paul are on our way to the hospital. We will be there shortly and we can talk some more. Just keep him calm and quiet. Let him know that your there. Let him know that you still love him and want him.” Jeff said as he hung up and the two men bolted for the door.




“This is not good Paul. Tim is reverting back to what he was just after the rape. The last time one of my patients did this he wound up killing himself and the man he loved. I am not going to let this happen again.” Jeff said. Punching the dashboard for emphasis.
“ We are not going to let this happen. We're not going to let Tim self destruct. We need to make him understand that no matter what he is important to us all.”
They arrived at the hospital and Jeff ran in while Paul parked the care. They were both directed to McGee's room and when they got their they found Gibbs standing outside the door, his head in his hands, his shoulders wracked with sobs.
“Gibbs what happened whats going on? Why aren't you with Tim?” Jeff asked.
“ He's gone Jeff. There was nothing I could do he just slipped away?” Gibbs sobbed.
“What do you mean he's gone? He can't be gone?” Jeff screamed as Paul approached.
“ He's slipped into a coma. They don't know if or when he will come out of it. They said his mind is trying to cope with whats happened to him and is shutting down to protect itself.” Gibbs said looking up into Jeff's and Paul's eye's. The tears flowing heavily down his cheeks. Gibbs never cried not even at Shannon and Kelly's funerals. That is until now. Gibbs pent up emotions were now coming out and the dam had burst.
Paul led Gibbs and Jeff back into the room for a little privacy. As soon as they were inside the closed door Paul went to McGee's bedside and began to check him while Jeff wrapped his arms around a now frail looking Gibbs. The mans heart was torn out and there wasn't anything they could do. The only one that could heal him was now gone for the time being. Paul leaned down and whispered in Tim's ear, “ Tim it's me Paul. We need you. Gibbs needs you. Please come back to us. Your loved and wanted Tim. Please don't leave us. We love you Timothy McGee.” Paul softly kissed Tim's lips and then went back to Gibbs.
“ Gibbs what we need to do know is talk to him. Even though he is in a coma he can still hear us. We need to make him know that we all love and care for him. Thats what he needs the most from us all including the team. But most of all he needs to hear it from you Gibbs.”
“I'll do my best to get through to him. I can't lose him Paul.”
“ I know Jethroe. But he is the one that needs to be convinced not me. Your going to have to spend a lot of time here letting him know how much you want and need him. You will get through to him that much I am certain of.”
The three men talked some more and made plans so that there would be someone with McGee at all times. Talking to him, reading to him, just being there in case he should wake up. Gibbs excused himself to get some coffee and make a much needed phone call.


“Vance its Gibbs. I wanted to let you know that McGee has slipped into a coma. We don't know for how long but I was hoping you could post a guard outside his door.” Gibbs said his voice thick with emotion.
“I will do that Gibbs and Gibbs that boy of yours will get better. Thank you for letting me know.”
“Your welcome and I will be letting the rest of the team know in the morning.”
“Your coming into work Gibbs?” Vance asked.
“Yes sir I think that they all need to hear this from me and I want you to know that Paul and Jeff will be staying with him while I am at work or when one of the team can't be here for him.” Gibbs told the Director.
“ Ok then I will see you in the morning and Gibbs get some sleep.”
“Yes sir I will.” Gibbs said as he hung up.
I just pray I can sleep after all of this, Gibbs thought.
Gibbs returned with not just one cup of coffee but three one for each of the men.
Paul and Jeff both thanked him as they watched him settle in the chair next to the bed. Gibbs took Tim's hand in his and began to slowly stroke his hair. Gibbs started talking to his lover as the two men departed without being noticed.