- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The nightmare is over or is it?
Two months later:

Gibbs and the team still visited McGee's bedside daily. Mainly Gibbs, he still held out hope that McGee would return to him. That he could one day take the man he loved into his arms and make love to him. The way he wanted to and the way McGee deserved to be made love to. Each day Gibbs heart broke a little more and yet at the same time was filled more and more with his love for Tim. He sat talking to the young man, telling him of the teams cases and how much they missed him. He read to McGee anything and everything. That was something he would have never done for anyone else only Kelly would and did he do that for. He cried and cried. He went home late at night and dreamed of McGee beside him in bed holding him and he cried some more. He hugged a pillow tight each and every night and prayed that McGee would soon wake up. Gibbs worked on his boat only this time he named it after McGee. He wanted to take Tim out on it when he woke up. Gibbs barely rested and it was beginning to show. Even Leon had commented on him looking bad the other day. Told him that if he didn't get some rest he was going to have Ducky sedate him so he would sleep. Said “ Gibbs your no good to me if your exhausted and your mind is some where else.”
Good to his word Leon did have Ducky sedate him so he would sleep. He knew that there was something going on between McGee and Gibbs and he knew how worried Gibbs was about him.
“Leon I can't just sedate the man.” Ducky said horrified that Vance would even suggest it.
“Dr. Mallard I know its not usual to do this but the man refuses to sleep and I don't need him collapsing from exhaustion. Since we are on the subject what is going on between Gibbs and McGee? Why is Gibbs there every night? Is he in love with McGee? Are they lovers Dr. Mallard?” Vance asked concern coloring his voice.
Ducky's face betrayed him at Vance's last couple of questions. “ Alright Leon I will do as you ask. As for the rest of what you asked that is something that you need to ask Jethroe. I cannot and will not answer that.”
“Thank you Dr. Mallard what you didn't say told me what I needed to know. Their secret is safe with me. I just want the poor man to get some rest. That's all. Now that I know the situation for myself I can help him and McGee. They are both good men and agents and I don't want to lose either one. Lets keep this between us.”
“Thank you Leon. I will most certainly keep this between us.”
“Dr. Mallard I have an idea. Why don't you give me the sedative in the correct dose and I will invite Gibbs to my home for dinner and I will slip it into his drink and that way he will never know that you had anything to do with it.” Leon suggested.

“That sounds like a wonderful idea Leon. I will let him know that I will stay with Timothy tonight and that he should go and have a good home cooked meal. He will trust me to stay with Timothy. Let me get it for you and we will put this plan in motion.” Ducky said with a smile on his face. He was worried about his friend as well and this would insure that Jethroe got a good nights sleep.
What Ducky didn't realize was that Gibbs was so exhausted that the sedative was going to put him out for 3 days.
Vance left to make the arraignments for that evening and to make sure Gibbs would have someplace to sleep. Walking through the bullpen Vance came up short when he saw how tired and worn Gibbs was looking. Shaking his head Leon quickly went up the stairs to make the arraignments.
Gibbs had caught Vance watching him and wondered to himself, what was that all about. Gibbs went back to work on their latest case and lost himself in it. His phone ringing made him jump. Settling down he answered it, “ Gibbs!” he said a little tersely.
“Gibbs I want you in my office in five minutes.” Leon said.
Gibbs didn't answer just glared and walked up the stairs to Vance's office. Without stopping he just opened the door and walked in glaring the whole time.
“Jethroe sit down we need to talk.”
“Talk Leon.”
“I want you to know that your secret is safe with me.”
“What are you talking about Leon?”
“I am talking about your relationship with McGee. I know all about it. Before you go off half cocked no one told me I figured it out. You've been miserable since that young man went into the coma. I have watched you struggle day after day to carry on like nothing has happened and that its not affecting you but we have all seen it. You wont do that young man any good if your dead on your feet and you wont do me any good either. I know how much you love him. I think we all do. I have never seen you worry so much about anyone since Shannon and Kelly. But you need to get some rest and my wife wanted me to invite you over for a good hot home cooked meal. Dr. Mallard said that it would do you good and that he would watch over young McGee himself tonight so you could get some hot good food in you. So what do you say. Will you come to my house for dinner tonight? You know my wife she will make me drag you if you say no.” Leon laughed.
At first Gibbs was shocked that Leon knew about him and Tim but relaxed at the thought of a good hot home cooked meal. He did know Leon's wife and knew the woman would not take no for an answer so he agreed.
“Good then its settled we leave from here and go to my place and you can tell me and the misses about your young man.”
“Thank you Leon for understanding. Your right I do love Tim and I am no good to him like this. I could use a good meal after eating that dam hospital food for the past two months and more.”


The day was finally finished and Gibbs was pleasantly surprised that he was famished and really looking forward to that home cooked meal. Before he left he went down and thanked Ducky for watching over Tim that night. He knew that his friend cared a great deal about McGee and would broke no arguments about him taking care of him this night. After thanking Ducky, Gibbs returned upstairs to find Leon waiting for him and the rest of the team already gone.
Unbeknownst to Gibbs, Leon's plan was now in full swing. Leon asked Gibbs about how his and McGee's relationship had come about. They talked about work and other things as well as they rode to Vance's home. Upon arriving there Leon led the way into the house where he was greeted by his wife Leona. Leon poured drinks and they sat in the living room talking while they waited for dinner to be done. They talked some more during dinner. Gibbs told them about his and Tim's relationship and how it had happened that they both admitted their love for one another. Leona and Leon were both very supportive and comforting at the same time. Gibbs helped clear the table, but Leona wouldn't let him help with the dishes. Instead she shooed him back into the living room where Leon handed him another drink and they began to talk. Little did Gibbs know that his drink was laced with the sedative that Ducky had given Vance. It only took a few minutes before it set in and Gibbs was sound asleep. Leon pulled Gibbs feet up on the couch and covered him in a blanket. Smiling he went to help his wife with the dishes.
“How is he?” Leona asked as Leon entered the kitchen.
“ He is sleeping like a baby. I think he will sleep all night long. He really needed this and thank you.” Leon said as he pulled her into his arms and kissed her warmly.
“Wow if this is the thanks I get I should do this more often.” She said kissing him back feeling his hardness against her.
“Well maybe that can be arraigned.” Leon laughed.
“ I was thinking how nice it is that Leroy finally found someone to love and to love him. At the same time how tragic its all been for them both.” She said sorrow creeping into her voice as she tried to contain the tears that threatened to spill. Her heart ached for the two tragic lovers. Hearts full of love and yet fate keeps them apart. Reminding her of a Shakespeare tragedy. Leon held her close as they lost themselves in thought. Finally Leon broke the embrace.
“Why don't we go to bed honey?”
“I think I would like that. But I want to check on Leroy before we go up and make sure he is okay.”
“Fine I will meet you upstairs.” Leon kissed her one more time and left to go upstairs.
Leona walked out to the living room and knelt down and brushed the hair from Jethroe's forehead. Leaning down to kiss his forehead she whispered “ It's going to be alright Jethroe. He's going to come back to you and soon. I just know it. He loves you and he cant stand to be away from you for to long. His heart and soul are pure and filled with his love for you. Just have faith and hope he will be back with you soon. Rest easy for tonight. For tomorrow is full of hope,love, and surprises. Good night Jethroe and dream sweet dreams of the man you love and that loves you.” Leona quietly rose and headed upstairs to the man she loved with all her heart. That night they made love like they hadn't made love since they were first married. Sated they both fell asleep.
The next morning Leon got up expecting Gibbs to be up and angry, but what he found was a Gibbs still passed out. Laughing he entered the kitchen to grab the cup of coffee from Leona.
“What's so funny Leon?”
“Gibbs. I thought he would be up by now and madder than a hornet. But he is still asleep. He must have been more exhausted than we thought. I will have Dr. Mallard come by and check on him this evening.”
“ You better Leon I don't want that poor man dying because of this.” She grinned.
They both burst out laughing. After awhile Leon finished breakfast and headed out the door to work. Wondering how he was going to tell Gibbs team that they man was out like a light.
Stepping to the door he turned and kissed his wife and as a last thought he said, “ Will he be okay on the couch till he wakes up?”
“He will be fine. Now get your but to work.” She chided.
Vance left and drove to the office. Once he got there he went to his office and called Tony and Ziva up to his office.
“DiNozzo and David. I wanted to let you know personally that agent Gibbs will not be in today and that if you both like you can take some personal time and take the day off as well. Maybe go and visit McGee?” Vance said a grin coming to his lips.
“Director Vance is something wrong with Gibbs?” Ziva asked.
“ No agent David there is nothing wrong with Gibbs he is just asleep on my couch at home.” Vance said his grin getting wider by the second.
“ I don't mean to be rude Director Vance, but what is he doing sleeping on your couch?” Tony asked worried.
“DiNozzo if you must know me and Dr. Mallard decided that Gibbs needed some much needed rest so I invited him over for dinner and I spiked his drink?” Leon said grinning from ear to ear as he looked at the two agents shocked faces. It was all Leon could do to keep from laughing out loud.
“You did what!!!!?” They both said in unison.
“I spiked his drink. He needed the rest and we both knew he would and wasn't getting any so I gave him some help. He is sleeping like a baby.” Leon laughed.
Ziva was the first to regain her composure. “ We all knew he wasn't sleeping and that he spent almost every night at McGee's bedside. He's been grumpy and irritable, he doesn't eat. He's been really upset. I have never seen him like this. Not even when a woman was involved. I don't understand.....” Just as she was about to finish it dawned on her why Gibbs was acting the way he was and why he had been so protective of McGee.
She stopped in mid sentence and just stood there gaping at Vance.


“Ziva what were you going to say. What don't you understand about Gibbs behavior?” Tony asked.
Finally Ziva snapped out of it and looked at Tony. “DiNozzo are you really that thick that you can't figure it out for yourself?” Ziva asked watching as Tony shook his head.
“ I don't get it what are you guys talking about?”
“Well Tony if you can't get it I will have to explain it to you over that lunch you were going to buy me.” Ziva said.
Tony still looked lost as Ziva took him by the arm and lead him away.
They heard Vance laughing as they headed down the stairs on their way out the door for a pleasant day of leisure. After they left Vance called down and asked Ducky to come to his office. Arriving at Vance's office Ducky was waved in.
“Dr. Mallard I have need of your services tonight at my home.”Vance said as he shook Ducky's hand.
“Why on earth do you need my services at your home Sir. Do you have a dead body there or something.”
“Well you might say that I do at least dead to the world. That sedative you gave me for agent Gibbs worked a little to well he was still asleep when I left for work this morning?” Vance said grinning.
“Oh My! I guess I will stop by. You don't think Jethroe will still be sleeping when I get there do you?”
“He might just be Dr. Mallard besides my wife would love to have you for dinner. Even if it is to make sure Gibbs didn't die on our couch.” Vance said laughing.
“Before you go. I wanted to thank you for letting me know about Gibbs and McGee's situation. My wife thinks they will make the cutest couple. Any way thank you for looking out for them both. I know that they mean a lot to you.”
“That they do Director and I know that even though he may not say it but Jethroe does appreciate all that you have done for him and for Timothy. I take it their relationship won't be a problem then?”
“Not for me or the agency cause what the agency don't know won't hurt it. Now the team that could be another story?”
“I get it you mean Anthony.”
“Well him and Abby. I am not sure how they will react. Ziva is going to tell DiNozzo over lunch. I just have to find a way to tell Abby.”
“Director let me tell her. I think it would soften the blow and I think she would take it better from me.” Ducky said.
“Dr.Mallard I think thats a brilliant idea.” Vance said as Ducky was turning to leave.




Ziva and Tony arrived at the restaurant and were seated as a secluded table.
“Okay Ziva spill it. What the hell is going on with Gibbs and McGook?” Tony asked.
“Well Tony if you must know they are in love. Gibbs loves Tim very much.” Ziva said as a matter of fact.
Tony sat there with his mouth hanging open and his jaw on the floor. Suddenly he started grinning. “You got me Ziva. I almost fell for that one. Gibbs in love with McGeek. Now thats funny.” Tony said laughing. He laughed until he saw the look of anger on Ziva's face.
“Tony I do not think it's funny, that the man Gibbs' loves is laying in a coma and your here making jokes about it. I don't know what you find funny but to me its not. I think of Tim as the brother I wish I had but didn't.” Ziva said the anger in her voice evident.
“I'm sorry Ziva but I thought you were pulling a prank on me. You mean that Gibbs, our Gibbs, straight as an arrow is in love with McGee?”
“I am afraid so Tony and if you can't handle it and live with it and their relationship without making problems then I suggest you pack your bags and go to another team.”
“ I can't believe it right under my nose. Gibbs and McGee lovers. When the hell did this happen?” Tony asked no one but himself.
“Tony your a good investigator. I am sure you can figure it out.”
“This all happened after McGee's …..well you know. That's why Gibbs was so protective of the Probie. I can't believe I missed it.”
“Tony it started long before that. They have loved each other probably since the first time they met. They just were to afraid to show it to each other and to let the other know how they felt. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. Didn't you notice the way Gibbs watched over Tim. How he did his best to make him feel like he was part of the team?”
“Now that you mention it, I guess I did. I just didn't think anything of it.”
“That's how Gibbs wants it. He doesn't want to treat Tim any different than he treats either of us. But he also doesn't want us to treat them different them either. It would hurt them both if we did. For Gibbs we are the only family besides Tim that he has. Tim is pretty much the same as well. So promise me here and now that your not going to treat either one of them differently. I just don't want you harassing Tim about their sex life or anything to do with their private lives. They mustn't know that we know. When they are ready to tell us they will. So you have to promise me you won't let on that you know.” Ziva asked.
“I promise Ziva I won't.” Tony conceded. “ I just can't get over it straight as an arrow Gibbs in love with plain ole McGee. Me I could understand but McGoo I just can't figure that one out.”


They continued to eat only this time in silence. Each one lost in his or her thoughts.

Back at NCIS headquarters a similar scene was taking place.

“Abigail I need to have a word with you if you don't mind.” Ducky said as he entered the lab.
“Sure Duckman what can I do for you?” Abby said grinning.
“ I want you to sit down I have some news I need to tell you and I don't want to have to try and pick you up off the floor.”
Abby pulled up a chair and sat down. “ Okay I'm sitting what is it that you wanted to tell me Ducky?”
“Abigail you know that Timothy is in the hospital and what has happened to him right?”
“Yes I know he was raped, sodomized, tortured beaten and left for dead. I know that he also tried to kill himself when that he saw that video on the net.” Abby replied concern in her voice.
“ Well Abigail there is a little more to it than that, I'm afraid. You know that Jethroe has been taking care of Timothy since the accident but do you know why?”
“Sure Ducky I know why. It's because he loves him, just like we all do. There is nothing special about that is there?”
“Well Abby its a bit more complicated than that. Your right Jethroe does love him just not in the same way we do. Do you understand what I am trying to say to you?” Ducky quizzed.
“Yea I do but like I said Gibbs loves Tim...........” just as she was about to finish that statement it hit her. “ You mean that Gibbs is in love with my Timmy?”
“Yes Abigail he is and Timothy loves him just as much.”
“NO! He can't love McGee. Gibbs isn't gay and neither is Tim. I should know” She screamed.
“Abby,” Ducky said wrapping his arms around the young woman, “ Just because they love each other doesn't mean their homosexuals. It means that they love each other and they just happen to both be men. There is nothing wrong with that. They don't lust after other men just lust and love each other. They don't want another man, they just want each other.”
“But Gibbs and McGee!”
“Abby your going to have to accept the fact that they love whom they love.”
“But they should have told me. Why is it I am the last to know?” She scolded.
“Abby my dear no one but me knew up until Tim's rape. Even they themselves didn't know and wouldn't accept it till I forced them to. Otherwise they would have been dancing around each other and their chance for love would have been gone. Lost forever.”
They continued to talk some more until finally Abby admitted “ I guess I do have to accept the fact they love each other and there is nothing I can do about it.”
“That's my girl. Also Abby we can't treat them any different. When they are ready to tell us they will tell us but until then no questions about their private lives. No joking or hinting. Gibbs and McGee are very private men but when they tell us I plan on throwing them a big surprise coming out party. What do you say you and me plan it?”
“I think I can handle that and I would love to give them a surprise party.” Abby giggled.

Later that same day at the hospital:


Paul walked in to check on his favorite patient. When he entered the room their was silence and as he approached the bed he did a double take. He immediately pulled out his phone and dialed Jeff. Jeff rushed to the hospital and burst through the door.
All it took was one look and Jeff was on the phone. He tried and tried Gibbs and then he tried Vances' number. It rang a few times before Leon answered.
“Vance here what can I do for you Jeff?” Leon asked.
“Leon you need to come to the hospital right away there is a problem with McGee. I can't and won't discuss this over the phone. Just please hurry and if you can find him you need to bring Gibbs.” Jeff's voice was urgent as he hung up on Leon.
Leon couldn't figure out what was going on but he raced out of the office and headed for his place to see if Gibbs was awake yet and if he was take him to the hospital.
Next Jeff called Ducky “ Dr. Mallard I need you to come to the hospital as fast as possible there is a problem with Tim. Come quick and don't ask questions till you get here.”
Ducky grabbed his coat and his phone and headed out the door. He knew he had to call Tony and Ziva. Pulling on his coat he quickly dialed Ziva's number.
“Ziva this is Ducky. Don't ask questions just listen there is something wrong with Timothy I am headed to the hospital and I think you and Tony should join me there I am bringing Abby and Palmer with me. Just hurry.” He said slamming the phone shut as he entered the lab to get Abby and Palmer.
“Abby and Mr. Palmer grab your coats and come with me. Something is terribly wrong with our Timothy and we are needed at the hospital. Don't argue or question just come along” Ducky said hurrying them along.
The three of them raced out of the building behind Vance and headed for the hospital.
They all arrived just minutes after each other and headed to McGee's room. The only one not present was Gibbs.
“Director Vance where is Gibbs?” Jeff asked blocking entrance to McGee's room.
“Unfortunately he is still out cold from the sedative I gave him. Now whats going on in there?” Vance asked the question they were all wondering.

“Before you all go in I have to warn you that what your about to see is not very pretty. But I need you all to remain calm and quiet. Can you all do that for me?” Jeff asked the expression on his face serious.
They all nodded in agreement. Jeff moved aside and they all quietly entered McGees room. Each one having very different expectations, and yet not knowing what to expect.


Two days later:

Gibbs finally woke up on Vances couch to the smell of the best smelling coffee he had ever had the pleasure of smelling. Walking into the kitchen he saw Leona and Leon standing there kissing.
They both suddenly felt as if they were being watched and turned to see Gibbs standing there in his rumpled clothes.
“Good morning sunshine. Can I get you a cup of coffee?” Vance asked chuckling.
“You look like hell Gibbs.”
“ I feel like hell at least I will till I have some of the wonderful coffee I smell. How long did I sleep?” Gibbs grumbled.
“You have been asleep for three whole glorious days Gibbs.” Vance chuckled.
“Stop teasing the man.” Leona said.
“After I finish this I need to go home and shower before I head to work.” Gibbs said to no one in particular.
“ I will drive you home Gibbs. We have to go to the hospital afterward. And I can't trust you to be able to drive once we get there.” Vance said in all seriousness.
“Fine but why do we need to go to the hospital? Has something happened to Tim? What aren't you telling me Leon?” Gibbs voice starting to show the anger he was begging to feel.
“ Look Gibbs you need to calm down. Let me take you to your place and then I will take you to the hospital. Finish your coffee and lets get going.” Vance said barely able to hid a stupid grin.
“Fine” Gibbs said downing the last of his coffee. “Thank you for your hospitality and your couch Mrs. Vance.” Gibbs said a little stiffly.
The two men left for Gibbs home and rode in silence all the way there.
Gibbs raced up the stairs and stripped once he got to the bedroom. Jumping in the shower he quickly showered, brushed his teeth, combed his hair, and dressed. Practically pulling Leon with him out the door to head to the hospital.
Leon drove as fast as he dared, while Gibbs stared out the window. They pulled up to the hospital and before Leon could stop the car Gibbs was out the door and racing to Tim's room.

As Gibbs approached Tim's room his heart sank as he saw them removing the monitoring equipment as well as the rest of the equipment. He knew in his heart that Tim was gone and he didn't even get to tell the man he loved goodbye. As he approached the door to Tim's room the tears began to fall and Gibbs heart broke even more than it already had. He vowed to himself that when he caught these bastards he was going to make them pay and pay dearly. He prayed that he would be able to live long enough to avenge his lover. As he got to Tim's door and stood inside of it his knee's buckled and his tears flowed like never before. His heart on the floor shattered and torn apart he screamed at the top of his lungs “ NO! NO! He cant be gone. My God why did he have to die? ” he cried and fell into a sobbing mass as the nurses and doctors ran to help him.