- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs words hurt Tim and now he wonders if he will wake up from the resulting nightmare or will it consume him.
Something about this bothered Vance. He wasn't quiet sure but it seemed to be something about McGee's past. His background check was clean. Vance had gotten McGee's personnel file after the phone call from Gibbs. Something nagged at the Director so he was going threw McGee's personnel file. Every thing seemed in order till he came to a sudden stop. There it was. There was an incident when McGee was fifteen, there was a police report filed, charges brought, then dropped. Everything was sealed because McGee was a minor. It all happened around the time when McGee was in the accident that broke his leg. Vance picked up the telephone and had his secretary get the officer in charge of the case on the phone. He hoped the man was still there. After several minutes his phone rang and it was the officer in charge of McGee's case. He was still in the police department but now was a sergeant.
“ This is Sergeant Davis, how can I help you Director Vance and NCIS?”
“I just had a couple of questions for you about an old case that you handled. It involved a young man named Timothy McGee. He is one of my agents and he has been hurt and I found your name and a record of incident in his personnel file. I wanted to know if there was something in his past that made him doubt himself.”
“ I don't know if I can help you but I will try. You said Timothy McGee?”
“Yes Sergeant.”
“ I seem to remember that case. The kid was only fifteen I think or there abouts. His dad was in the Navy or something. What is it Ican help you with?”
“Can you give me some insight as to what the case was about and who dropped the charges? Were they against agent McGee?”
“ Director those records were sealed but I can give you what I know. Don't know how much help I will be. Is he in some kind of trouble?”
“No! No trouble at all. I would appreciate any help you can give me.”
“ Well the boy 'McGee' came into the station one day and asked to talk to a detective. When he was asked what it was about he said he would only talk to a detective and no one else that it was personal. They called me and I went into talk to him. That's when he told me he had been raped by a couple of men. Back then most cops were of the assumption that a man couldn't be raped and that if a man said he was he was a queer and was trying to get back at someone. But I knew better. I could see that by the look in his eyes that something really traumatic had happened to this boy. I listened to his story and he told me in detail what was done to him. When I asked him if he had told his father he said he had but his dad had beat the living hell out of him, called him all kinds of names, told him how worthless he was and that he wasn't a man if couldn't even protect himself. He then told me that his father disowned him and threw him out of the house.





My heart broke for the kid. He seemed really nice and descent. I asked him if I could see what they did to his body so I could see for myself the horror these men put him through. He told me he would show me but we had to go to the restroom and he wanted no one to walk in on us. I assured him no one would and lead him to the head. When we entered I locked the door and when I turned around He had his shirt off and he showed me the burns on his back, arms and chest, not to mention the welts that had been left by them and his dad. He told me that when he told his dad, the man had beat him severely using whatever was at hand including his fists. He said his dad made the rape seem almost gentle he then told me he had a couple of busted ribs. I asked if he wanted to go to the hospital and he told me that he couldn't because real men didn't need hospitals they should just live with the pain and go on. I could see the hurt and anguish in his eyes and my heart ached for him. He told me that if his dad found out he had talked to the cops he might as well dig his own grave. He made me promise that I wouldn't contact his dad or even let him know that what happened to him was being investigated. He said his dad would kill him if he found out. The poor kid was terrified of his father. I told him I wouldn't and would keep it as quiet as possible. He gave me the description of the men that raped him as best as he could remember and I took it from there.”
“Why were the charges dropped?”
“Well when we found the guys, and the kid identified them we filed the charges and then a couple of days later his dad comes storming in demanding we drop the charges. Yelling that these men did nothing wrong and that his son was a liar and that he had propositioned them. Saying that his son was a dirty,lousy, rotten queer that when he had found out about him having sex with men he lied to him and said he was raped. That men couldn't be raped and his son was nothing but a lieing piece of trash. He wouldn't have his name dragged through the mud just because his son wouldn't own up to the fact he was queer and that he had disowned him. Because it was his father and he was legal guardian we had to drop the charges. At that time the poor kid had no rights or protection. Now do you want to tell me what this all about?”
“I needed to know detective because I just found out that special agent McGee was found in a field naked and covered in all kinds of bruises and that he had been raped again. I needed to be able to tell the councilor his full background so he could help him. Thank you very much for your help. I know you will keep this in the strictest of confidence.”
“ I will Director and I sure hope that agent of yours gets better. He was a good kid and I know he is a fine agent.”
“He is and thank you again detective.” Vance said as he hung up and Gibbs stormed into his office.



“Before you say anything Gibbs sit down and listen. Then we can decide where to go from there?” Leon said before Gibbs could utter a word. He knew how hard this had hit him but right now McGee needed him to have a full picture of what was going to happen and had happened to him in the past if the man was going to help his agent.
Gibbs just took a seat and shut up, glaring at Vance.
“ You need to know Jethroe that this isn't the first time this has happened to your boy. When he was 15 he was raped beaten and tortured. Not only by the men that raped him but what happened to him after that was even worse and it was his own father that did it to him. What he needs now is to know we aren't going to abandon him that he is safe from reprisal, and that he still has a place here at NCIS and more importantly on your team Gibbs.”
“Is there a problem with McGee staying on your team Gibbs? If there is tell me now and I will get him transferred.” Vance asked seeing the seething anger on Gibbs face he was worried about what his answer was going to be.
“Are you telling me Leon his own father beat him after he was raped the first time? How could he do that to his own son? What kind of man is he that would do that after what Tim had gone thru? I always wondered why McGee didn't talk about his family much. Just his sister. Now I know. Is that the reason he was thrown out of the house? McGee doesn't and didn't deserve this. He's a good man and a great agent. I don't know what we would do without him Leon. I....we can't lose him.” Gibbs said controlling his emotions as best as he could. His heart aching even more now he knew about McGee.
“The next thing we have to do is build a cover for you and McGee. I know that you will want to be there for him while he recovers. I know how you feel. I will keep the rest of the team busy. I have a man I meant a few years ago that will be able to help with McGee's recovery. His psychological recovery. He is a male rape counselor and will keep every thing in strictest confidence. He is a rape survivor himself.”

When Gibbs heard about the councilor he felt a glimmer of hope for McGee. He knew it was going to be a really tough road for him but he hoped that this guy would help where he himself couldn't. “What are we going to do about Tony and his insaitable need to know what is going on in others lives? Not to mention Abby. When McGee doesn't show up for work they are going to know something is wrong and I don't want them finding out about this. When and if Tim is ready then it's his call to tell them. I know that they are going to be mad and hurt but we will have to deal with that when it comes. Also instead of moving him to Bethesda when he is well enough to be moved I want him to stay with me. I don't want this to go beyond those of us that already know and Bethesda is to public. Someone might find out and start asking the wrong questions.”




“That sounds like a good idea. That way Dr. Mallard can check on him and you and if he needs something he can be there in a few minutes and no one the wiser. Who is watching McGee at the hospital now?”
“Fornell has some men in place and a nurse. He really likes McGee. He kinda saved his ass when they were trying to frame him for murder. He feels like he owes McGee and me. He has someone going thru the evidence that he trusts. I left strict orders that no one but the doc.,the nurses and me and Ducky were allowed into his room no matter what and if something happens I am to be notified immediately.” Gibbs said sadly.
“Gibbs you need to get some rest yourself your not going to do that young man any good if you wind up in the hospital. Let me take care of the rest of this and I will be getting Hodges out to see him as soon as its ok and I know that it will take time for McGee to trust him after all that young man has been through.”
“ I need to get back Leon. I don't really want him waking up without me being there.” Gibbs said concern evident in his voice. “Oh and when you talk to Hodges let him know that there are two victims. The other one is the doctor that is taking care of McGee he was one of their victims. I think It would do him good to talk to Hodges and his name is Stephenson. When he gets there I will make the introductions. Stephenson already cares for McGee. He also know most of the other victims. We really need to get these bastards Leon.”
“We will Gibbs you just take care of that young man.”
As Gibbs walked out the door, Leon grinned to himself. The man didn't even know how much McGee meant to him. Yet he was willing to go the extra mile for him. Then there was the matter of him switching from calling McGee by his last name to Tim. When he talked about McGee, Gibbs eyes softened and there was something there that Vance hadn't seen in his eyes for a very long time. The hard case had a soft spot in his heart for a certain young agent. This was going to be very interesting to watch. He would most definitely be talking to Ducky about this situation. Now it was time to get to work and get things set up and going.
Vance reached for his phone when it rang, it was Hodges.
“Vance here what can I do for you Dr. Hodges?”
“Leon I was calling to find out when I can see my new patient?”
“Jeff it might be a couple of days, but we have had a development. There is more than one victim. Special Agent Gibbs thinks you need to talk to the other victim. He happens to be Agent McGee's doctor and his name is Stephenson. When can you get out to the hospital to talk to him?”
“ I can go see him tomorrow if thats ok Leon.”
“I will call Gibbs and let him know he will make the introductions.”
“Great I look forward to talking to them both.”
“Thanks Jeff this means a lot to me and the agency.”

“He must be one hell of a special agent for you to go through all this trouble Leon.”
“You have no idea. But you will once you meet McGee he really is special to us all here at NCIS. Without him we wouldn't solve as many cases as we have. Not to mention I do believe that Gibbs has taken a fancy to the young man and if I am right he returns the affection but neither of them have admitted it to themselves. He is very special so take good care of him will you Jeff?”
“You bet Leon and I will keep you updated. Bye for now and I look forward to meeting both these men, as well as this Doctor Stephenson.”
“Thanks again Jeff and have a good day. I look forward to your progress reports.”
Vance said as he hung up. One down now 4 to go. It was time to talk to the rest of the team.