- Text Size +
Chapter 10


Tony’s revelations concerned Emma greatly. Was she harboring a fugitive? Did she have someone in her home who was marked for death? Was there someone, somewhere looking for him right now?

Emma looked out her kitchen window. She didn’t see anything but bright sunshine and green fields. She moved restlessly around her home as Tony slept. She had given him something for pain. She was grateful that at least, now, he was eating. He was not eating much, but he was eating. She knew he would soon be strong enough to leave. But without all his memory, she was not sure where he would go and what the future held for him. She’d do the only thing she could for him. She would convince him to stay. Emma figured, if people were looking for him, were out to hurt him, they would have found him by now. But she also knew, too, that they could be waiting him out. Waiting for him to come back to wherever he was from, wherever this happened and make himself a sitting duck.

Emma had come to care deeply for the young man who had just come into her life 5 days ago. She felt an almost innate need to protect him. She and her husband had not had children. But she imagined that this was what it felt like to protect your child when he was in trouble. She realized, too, after he showed up, that the explosion she had heard earlier that day had not been miners blasting in the mines in the area. It had been whatever it was that had happened to Tony.

Emma had not asked him questions about the accident. She had not asked him anything about how he had come to her home. What incident had caused him to end up, unconscious, bruised and bloody, in her field. That was mainly because Tony had not offered anything. She knew, from what he had told her, he had no memory of whatever it was that had brought him to her.

Emma sighed. She looked out her window again before busying herself with lunch. Tony would be awake soon, and she wanted to have a hot meal waiting for him.

An hour later, Emma brought the lunch tray into the bedroom. Tony yawned and carefully tried to stretch. His ribs were healing, but they were still sore. His headaches had all but gone away.

“I could get used to this bed-side service.” Tony said smiling as Emma put the tray across his lap.

“Don’t…” Emma said. “…you’re eating in the kitchen with me and Buster when you get well enough.”

Tony smiled at her and then began to eat.

“You need a real name.” Emma stated.

Tony looked at her. “I don’t know. I like Handsome. It’s descriptive and very accurate.”

Emma laughed. “Okay, but then I’ll have to add Conceited and Egotistical.”

“That’s harsh, Emma.” Tony replied. “Okay, we’ll come up with something else.”

“Paul?” She said looking at him, and then shook her head, not Paul. She and Tony also rejected John, Andrew, and Christopher.”

They both paused, thinking.

“Michael.” Emma said pointing at him and smiling. “You look like a Michael to me. I like it.”

“Michael.” Tony said, considering. “Me, too.”

“Yeah…” Emma paused. “…that’s a good name for you.”

Tony smiled.

Emma had brought her lunch in, and they finished eating in silence.

“Okay…Michael….” Emma asked. “You’re getting better. You will be able to leave here soon.” Emma fell silent.

“But?” Tony asked.

“Where will you go? What will you do?”

Tony shook his head. He wasn’t sure. “I remember something about Washington…D.C.”

“What?”

“I lived there. I was there. I don’t know.” Tony conceded.

“Michael, you can’t go back there.” Emma pleaded. “What if…what if the person, people, whoever wants to kill you is waiting? What if…? If you’re a witness, under witness protection, you need to stay hidden.”

“What if I’m the assassin?” Tony asked.

Emma shook her head. “I don’t believe it.”

Tony ducked his head.

Emma took Tony’s chin in her hand, forcing him to look at her. “Those sparkling green eyes and that beautiful smile are not the features of a cold-blooded killer.”

“I’ve killed before, Emma. “ Tony said flatly. Tony didn’t know where it had come from, but he knew was a memory, a part of his memories coming back.

Emma’s shock was apparent. She moved her hand and shook her head.

“It’s true, Emma.” Tony replied. “I’m sorry, but it’s true. I remember.”

Emma quickly got up off the bed. She gathered the dishes and took them into the kitchen, depositing them in the sink to wash.

Emma heard slow deliberate footsteps behind her. She knew it was Tony and for the first time since he had arrived, she feared him. She looked for something to protect herself. There was nothing near. She knew her husband’s gun was in the hall closet, maybe it was time….

The steps stopped. She could tell by counting the steps that Tony has stopped just inside the kitchen door.

“I would never hurt you, Emma.” Tony replied. “You have been so good to me. I would never hurt you.” He paused. “But you…you asked me what I remembered. You wanted to know, and that’s it.”

Emma stayed, facing the sink for a moment. She then turned. “I believe you, Michael. I do, it’s just….”

“…a lot to deal with. I understand.” Tony said. He put his arm around Emma as she moved to put her arm around him.”

“You should be in bed.” Emma guided him back to the bed.

Tony’s little walk had exhausted him. He closed his eyes and was asleep in moments.

Emma eyed the hall closet, thinking of its contents. She opened the door and took out the gun. She then cleaned it and loaded it. She then put it back in its place.


TBC