- Text Size +
Chapter 14


Gibbs faced a huge dilemma. But it was one he did not, in the least, mind having. How was he going to RE-introduce Tony to everybody at NCIS? He had not even told the director. He had called the director and told him that there was news. But he wanted to see the director’s face when Tony walked back through the door. That would give Gibbs a true assessment of what the director thought of Tony.

Director Vance’s opinion of Tony had changed greatly since Vance first came to NCIS. Vance could not match the person he had read about in the personnel file to the goofball he saw. Vance, at first, thought that all the commendations and recommendations in Tony’s folder had simply been misfiled. Vance then got a few opportunities to work closely with the man. He then realized the praise had been justified and well-placed.

Gibbs had decided the ‘reveal’ would happen at his house. He would call Vance over first. Gibbs knew once Vance found out he was back, he would want a de-briefing. And once Vance found out the truth…well, he would want to know what Tony knew. Tony still remembered nothing from the incident. But Vance would want to hear that from Tony, not him.

“Director.” Gibbs said as soon as Vance answered his office phone.

“Hello, Agent Gibbs.” Vance replied.

“I can tell you’ve found something.” Vance said. He could hear it in Gibbs’ voice.

“Yes, I have.”

“So, I will see you in the morning?” Vance asked, looking at his watch. It was now 4:30 p.m.

“No…” Gibbs said, he was almost giddy. “…I’ll see you in about an hour? My house?”

“If you wish…” Vance stated. “Gibbs, you can’t…?”

Gibbs shook his head. “Trust me. You’ll want to see this for yourself.”

Leon shook his head. He couldn’t fathom why Gibbs wanted him over at his house. If it was evidence, Abby or Ducky would have it. That is, unless, it had been an inside job. Could Gibbs have found something that pointed to that? Was Gibbs wanting to give him the ‘head’s up’?

The director was still unsure and uneasy when he locked his office door and left the building 30 minutes later.


NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS


Vance knew the rules at Gibbs’ house and he let himself in. Gibbs came out of the back bedroom on the first floor. Gibbs had just gotten Tony settled. The trip back to D.C had been exhausting, and Tony was ready to lie down by the time they reached Gibbs’ place.

Gibbs greeted the director.

“Okay, Gibbs.” Vance said. “I hate to rush you. But Jackie is expecting me home for supper and my son has a game tonight.”

Gibbs nodded. He motioned for Vance to follow him to the back bedroom.

“Hello, Leon.” Tony said from his place in bed.

“Agent DiNozzo…Tony!” Vance stammered. “I…How?” He asked, looked at Gibbs, shocked. Vance leaned against the doorframe for support.

“Tony was found by a woman who happened to be a nurse. She took care of him.” Gibbs explained.

Tony shook his head. “I don’t remember what happened. But you have Gibbs’ report.”

“Nothing?” Leon asked, finally able to compose himself and wipe the surprise off his face. He moved closer to the bed. Maybe Gibbs was playing a trick on him. Maybe it was something with the lighting….

Tony shook his head.

Vance just sat and looked at Tony for a moment, not sure he could trust his own eyes. Finally Vance spoke.

“I’m…I’m not sure what to say, Agent DiNozzo, Tony.” Vance spoke honestly. He had a genuine smile on his face. “When Gibbs told me he had something to show me…I never imagined. I never dreamed…it would be…you.”

Tony nodded.

Vance held his hand out to Tony and they shook. “I…I am sure we will talk more, when you are strong enough. I…I am very, very glad to have you back, Tony. This news will be…. The next few days at NCIS are going to be very interesting.” Vance predicted.

Gibbs nodded. “I’m telling the rest of the team tonight.” He replied.

“Good.” Vance nodded. “It will…Jackie and the kids will be ecstatic. They will want to see you.” Vance looked at Gibbs. “Will that be okay?”

Gibbs nodded.

Vance looked at Tony. “I will have a mountain of paperwork to complete in the morning.” He stated, smiling. “I have never had to bring an agent back to life before.”


TBC