- Text Size +
Chapter 15


Gibbs called Ducky next.

“Well, hello, Jethro.” Ducky stated. “I take it you’re back in D.C.”

Gibbs nodded, even though Ducky could not see him. “Yes, back with news.”

Ducky sighed. “You have found Anthony?” In his mind he was wondering, and dreading figuring out what part of Tony’s body Gibbs had found.

“I will be in to Autopsy as soon as I….”

“No need for that, Duck.” Gibbs said, excitedly.

“If you have evidence….”

“Come to my house as soon as you can.” Gibbs told him.

“Jethro, this is a break in protocol. I am sure the director….” Ducky stated.

“The director has already been here. And I know he would agree with me.” Gibbs said.

There was something in Gibbs’ voice that Ducky could not make out. But he agreed to come.

“You are usually not this…cryptic, Jethro.”

“I have never been faced with this situation before, Duck.” Gibbs replied. “I will see you soon? Oh, call Jimmy and tell him to come, too.” Gibbs stated. He could not believe he had almost forgotten Jimmy.

“We will be there as soon as we possible, Jethro.” Ducky was still a little unsure about the whole thing. “Can you, at least, give me a hint?”

“Just come over, Duck. I promise you…. You will be glad you did.” Gibbs said. Then he hung up the phone.

Ducky disconnected, very, very worried about his friend. He knew Tony’s death had been devastating for Gibbs. But Ducky thought he had been coping. Now…now Gibbs sounded almost…happy, giddy. Giddy was the word. It concerned Ducky greatly. He hurried and pulled on his jacket. He called Jimmy from his car and told him that they both needed to get over to Gibbs’ house immediately.


NCIS NCIS NCIS NCIS


Ducky arrived first, with Jimmy only minutes behind. They both entered the house as Gibbs, again, emerged from the back bedroom.

“It is good to have you back, Jethro.” Ducky said.

“Good to be back, Duck.” Gibbs then looked at Jimmy. “Glad you’re here too, Jimmy.”

Ducky was still concerned, he watched his friend carefully. Jimmy had also picked up on the ‘strange’ behavior and was exchanging glances with his mentor.

“Have a seat, both of you.” Gibbs said, indicating the couch.

“Jethro, if you need to talk….” Ducky offered.

Gibbs nodded. “We will later…plenty to talk about. But right now, just brace yourself…come on out.” Gibbs said, looking at the door of the back bedroom.

It had been a good thing that Ducky and Jimmy had been sitting down, because they would have both fallen to the floor.

“My word…Anthony!” Ducky said, only after a moment of staring.

“Tony…it is you, right?!” Jimmy said. “I am not imagining this? Am I?” He could not believe his eyes.

“It’s me.” Tony said. He was still sore. And the rest he had gotten before Vance arrived and after he had left had not been enough. But he was very, very anxious to see everybody. He wanted them to know that he was okay. He decided sleep would come later.

“It’s been a week, dear boy. Where have you been?” Ducky asked, when he was able to form a coherent thought.

“I was with a woman named Emma. I had lost my memory. And neither of us knew if I was a good guy or a bad guy.” Tony said. “That’s the reader’s digest condensed version.”

Ducky smiled. He then studied Tony’s face. “I can see you are in pain, Dear boy.”

Tony nodded. “My ribs. I dislocated my shoulder. And, of course….” Tony pointed to his head so that Ducky would see his scar.

“Oh, yes, I see. It’s healed well though.” Ducky said.

“I think you need to lie down, Tony.” Jimmy replied.

“Can’t argue with you there, Jimmy.” Tony replied, being unusually compliant.

Both Jimmy and Ducky helped Tony back to the bedroom and into bed. Ducky gave Tony a quick once-over after he had fallen asleep.

“Jethro, I think it might be a good idea if you let Tony rest before you call Abby.” Ducky advised. “I don’t think he could handle her…enthusiasm right now.”

“I agree.” Gibbs said, looking to the bedroom at his sleeping agent. Gibbs shook his head. “I still can’t believe he’s here.”

“Well, I must say, it was wonderful surprise.” Ducky admitted. He took a seat on the couch. Jimmy sat down beside him.

“He’s back…he’s here. I…I just can’t believe it.” Jimmy said, shaking his head.

Ducky looked at his protégé and smiled. “Where are Timothy and Ziva? Certainly they were….”

“They went home, to change, shower, take care of a few things.” Gibbs explained. “They are coming back as soon as they can.”

“I can’t imagine what it was like…I….” Ducky stammered.

“Pretty much like it was for you, just then, Duck.” Gibbs explained. “We got to this lady, Emma Hargroves’s, house. I show her Tony’s badge, his picture. I think she recognizes Tony. But I’m not sure. She then asked me some questions. Finally, she lets us in her house, and takes us to her spare bedroom. And there’s Tony, lying in the bed, asleep.”

“Tony said she didn’t know if he was a good guy or a bad guy?” Jimmy asked.

Gibbs nodded. “He remembered bits and pieces. He told her something about witness protection and an assassination, he didn’t know which side he was on.”

Jimmy went to the bedroom door and looked in. “Is it okay if I sit with him for a little while?”

“Sure, Palmer.” Gibbs replied. “Go, right ahead.”

“It’s been hard on Palmer, Jethro.” Ducky replied after Gibbs sat on in Palmer’s place. “I knew they were close, but I had no idea.”

“At least he’ll get a second chance with him, Ducky. We all will” Gibbs stated.


TBC