- Text Size +
Chapter 6


Of course, Ducky already knew the news. He had followed Pacci’s team out and had had the chore of deciphering burnt car from burnt person. He and Jimmy followed Pacci’s team back.

Ducky had started, several times to talk to Gibbs. He had seen him surveying the scene from above. He would start up then hill and then change his mind. He knew of nothing he could say to his friend. There were no comforting words, no stories he could think off. He wiped a tear from his eyes as he thought about the amazing young man he had called his friend.

Gibbs’ mind was so preoccupied that he, Tim and Ziva were back in D.C. in not time. He had asked the Director to not spread the news until he and his team could return. Gibbs wanted to be able to tell Abby before the rumor mill did. He parked the car and they all hurried to the lab.

Abby turned and looked at Gibbs. “Nothing yet, Gibbs, I just started. You….”

Abby stopped mid-sentence. She was puzzled by Gibbs’ expression. She came closer. He had been crying, his eyes were red. Ziva and Tim had hung back a little. Ziva was quietly sobbing on Tim’s shoulder.

Gibbs started towards her.

Abby began to back away shaking her head. “WHERE is Tony, Bossman?”

Gibbs didn’t’ answer, he reached for her instead.

“No, no, no!” Abby kept saying as she backed herself up against one of her lab tables. “NO!” She said angrily, resisting his attempts to comfort her.

“The car…Abby, it went over a bank. It…it exploded. We…Pacci, we..we looked for him. He…he didn’t make it.” Gibbs said as tears, again, came to his eyes.

Abby continued to shake her head. Then she realized it was true. She collapsed against Gibbs, sobbing.

Gibbs put his arms around her and held her, letting her cry.


TBC