- Text Size +
Chapter 7


Tony opened his eyes to a strange scene. He was grateful to be pain free. But he was afraid he would be drowned in dog slobber.

“Buster, back up…!” Emma said wedging herself between her dog and her patient. “Back up!”

“Sorry about that.” Emma said to her now-conscious patient. “We don’t’ get a lot of visitors and he is probably as happy as I am that you’re awake.”

Tony, for once, was speechless. He just stared at the woman who was cleaning his face.

“Cute…dog.” Tony croaked out.

“Thank you.” Emma said, finishing up. “His name’s Buster. I’m Emma.” She laid the rag down beside her. “What’s your name, Sweetheart?”

Tony opened his mouth to say something, and then realized he couldn’t. He didn’t know his name.

“I…I don’t know.” Tony replied, his confusion apparent.

“That’s okay, Darlin’. Nothin’ to worry about.” She patted his shoulder, and he tried to sit up. His ribs protested. He groaned and fell back against the pillow.

“Let’s not do anything too strenuous yet. For you, that means don’t move.” She said standing up. She disappeared for a moment and returned with a glass of water and a straw. “You’re dehydrated. Need to get some fluids in ya.”

Emma put the straw in Tony’s mouth. He took in a little bit of water. She cut him off, pinching the straw to cut off the flow.

“Too much will make you sick.”

“Thirsty.” Tony replied.

Emma nodded. “More later. I want to check you out first.” She began to check out his ribs.

“Smell…like an…herb garden.” Tony stated, realizing what he had been smelling.

“I’m an herbalist.” Emma replied. “Does your chest hurt?” She asked as she finished her exam.

Tony shook his head, slightly.

“You’re head?” Emma said. She had checked his head for bumps and cuts, but now wanted to see if he had any tender, sore spots. She felt a lump at the back. She probed it gently and Tony winced.

“Slight headache.”

Emma nodded. She picked up another rag she had brought back with her from the kitchen. It was damp with warm water. She used it to wipe the goop off Tony’s head and chest.

“The herbs worked really well, but we’ll go with the pills now that you’re awake, less…aromatic.” Emma said as she finished.

“Thanks.” Tony looked at her. “How…how did I get here?”

“Buster found you out in my field about….” She looked at her watch. “… 24 hours ago.”

“I have to go.” Tony said, trying to get up again and failing.

“Where? Where do you have to go, Darlin’?”

“I…I don’t know. But…but there’s somewhere I need to be. People are depending on me.”

Tony tried to sit up again. Emma easily and gently pushed him down.

“Where? Who’s depending on you? For what?”

“I…I don’t know, damnit!” Tony said and struck the floor with his fist. “I don’t know!” He said again, trying to sit up.

“Sweetheart, you’re doing yourself more harm than good. You’re in no shape to go anywhere, especially when you don’t even know where you’re going.” Emma said, trying to calm Tony down.

Tony groaned and closed his eyes, pressing his left hand to the right side of his chest.

Emma opened the bottle of pain medicine she had stowed in her pocket for when Tony woke up. She gave him a couple of pills followed with a couple sips of water. She then rubbed Tony’s chest. She didn’t realize how much she missed caring for someone like this. She stopped when she heard him snoring softly. Emma then pulled the cover up over his chest. She then made herself a cup of coffee.

Emma sighed when she sat down and saw Buster looking from Tony to her and back. “He’s gonna be okay, boy. He’s just weak, and he’s in a lot of pain. But he’s gonna be okay."


TBC