- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Gibbs is forced to train a very special slave
Chapter 3

“Yes, well…” The President nodded at the Director who took a file out of his top drawer. Gibbs took the folder, his eyes making contact with the man behind the desk. His gut again began to churn as he saw a look of regret and dare he say guilt in the man’s eyes.

“That is the man you’ll be training.” The President pointed to the file in Gibbs’ hand, the same look of regret and guilt crossing the man’s face only to quickly disappear as though it were never there. Gibbs knew this was not going to be good,

Opening the file the first thing that struck him was the photo inside. It was of a man in his late twenties or early thirties, short light brown hair and a mega watt smile. His eyes were a bright crystal green that held Gibbs’ gaze for a moment longer than it should. His thoughts straying somewhere they shouldn’t.

Quickly brushing those feeling aside he continued to read the report, his eyes falling on something that took his breath away. With anger building inside, he fought to keep his voice on a calm and even level.

“He’s a cop? What could he have possibly done that would warrant him being thrown into slavery?”

“Unfortunately, his job.”

Gibbs head shot up, no longer able to hide his anger. His steel gaze turned to his president and he would have sworn the man cringed for just a moment.

“Just what the hell is that suppose to mean?”

“Agent Gibbs!” Tom Morrow warned in a stern voice.

The President shook his head and waved the Director off. “No, Tom, he has the right to be angry.” Turning to face the Agent he met that steely gaze. “Agent Gibbs, what I am about to reveal to you is to go no further than this office. This is why I asked for you specifically because this is a matter if National Security and you, even if you may not agree with end result, will be able to understand the reason behind it.

That file you have is on one Anthony D DiNozzo, former homicide detective with the Baltimore PD. A man, who I’m afraid, is just too good at his job.”

“How can you be too good at your job?” Gibbs asked a bit sarcastically.

“When it endangers the lives of American citizens all over the world,” the President replied a bit sharper than he had intended. Taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly he continued.
“Detective DiNozzo was investigating the death of what appeared to be a drug dealer. It was pretty much an open and shut case. Everyone at his precinct thought it should be closed out as a drug deal gone bad, but not DiNozzo. For him, thing just weren’t adding up, so he began to dig deeper. Too deep I’m afraid. What he started to uncover was a terrorist cell that was buried deep in the seedy side of Baltimore.”

“I’m sorry, sir, but I would think that would be a good thing?”

“Normally I would agree with you, Agent Gibbs, but in this case it was the worst thing that could happen. You see, we already knew about the cell and had for quite a while. We had infiltrated the group several years ago. It was one of the ways we have been able to head off several of the attacks that had been planned. Of course the CIA gets all the credit, but that doesn’t matter. We have also been able to feed them false information that has gotten several terrorists into custody. Detective DiNozzo was about to expose that cell and with it our undercover operation.”

“I’m sure once it was explained to him, he backed off his investigation.” Gibbs once again saw a flash of guilt cross the Presidents face. “They didn’t explain the situation to this guy?”

“This was a top secret operation. Only someone with the highest security clearance could know about it.” the President stated indignantly.

“Did they do anything to get him to back off?”

“His Captain was instructed to order him to stop the investigation. He disobeyed a direct order.”

Gibbs let out a snort of disgust and shook his head. “Well, that explains a lot.”

“In what way, Gibbs?” Morrow asked.

Gibbs looked up from the file and looked from the Director to the President and back again. “According to this file his Captain didn’t think much of Detective DiNozzo. There are reports here that stated he would repeatedly make degrading and derogatory statements to the man.”

Reading directly from the file in front of him, Gibbs began to site examples. “This one says he told everyone in the squad room that DiNozzo was a quote ‘rich kid who only became a cop to piss off his daddy.’ Another says he stated DiNozzo couldn’t investigate himself out of a paper bag. This one states he told the man if he ever solved a case he would die from shock. This is the man you had delivering the order to stop the investigation?”

“Well, regardless of how the man felt about his detective, he gave the man a direct order and he disobeyed it.” the President was trying hard to defend his position.

“I would have done the same thing in his place.” At the look of confusion that crossed both men’s faces Gibbs tried to explain. “First of all he was ordered to stop investigating a homicide with no explanation why. No cop worth his spit would just stop a homicide investigation that has not been solved without a damn good reason. Second, his Captain made it clear he didn’t feel DiNozzo was capable of investigating, let alone solving any kind of case let alone a homicide. All you did was light his fuse. Not only did he have something to prove to both his Captain and the other detective but you gave him reason to suspect his Captain maybe involved. Of course he didn’t back off.”

Watching both men nodding with understanding, Gibbs pushed for more information. “None of this explains how the man got thrown into slavery.”

“Well, like I said, the man was good at his job.” the President continued. “so good he got the attention of the terrorist cell. They became very nervous about this cop investigating them. So much so they started making plans to move the cell. The undercover agents found some evidence that when they moved the cell they did not intend to take the domestic terrorists with them, believing them to be the reason this cop got so close.”

“That doesn’t sound good.”

“No Agent Gibbs, it wasn’t. The domestic terrorists they were talking about were the undercover agents. Not only would they be losing the location of the cell, but a lot of agents would lose their lives. We couldn’t allow that to happen.”

“So you trumped up charges of terrorism against him and had him arrested?”

“They had no choice, Gibbs.” Director Morrow intervened. “they had to ruin his credibility as a cop and investigator The cell had to believe that no one believed what he had uncovered; that everyone thought he was just doing this to cover his own terrorist ties.”

“Couldn’t you have just faked his death and put him in witness protection?”

“We thought about that, but we couldn’t take the chance. Not only would the cell always be suspicious of his death, but if it ever came to light that he wasn’t dead… we just couldn’t risk it. By arresting him as a terrorist not only do we destroy any credibility in his investigation or his work, but our terrorists actually believe he is one of them.”

Nodding his head, Gibbs looked back at the file in his lap. “And this is why you insisted on me, because you can’t let it be known that the government framed a cop and turned him into a slave?”

“That, and like I said you’re the best.”

“I was the best!” Gibbs snapped. “That was over twelve years ago. I haven’t done anything even close to that since then.”

“What you had was a natural skill, you don’t just lose that. I believe you are the right person for the job.”

Gibbs stood and began to pace back and forth, the President and the Director exchanging concerned glances. Finally the agent stopped and looked at both men.

“Fine, if you want me to train this guy I will, but I have some conditions.
Chapter End Notes:
This is an Alternate Universe slash slave fic