- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Epilogue
Chapter 32-Epilogue

One week later

Gibbs was halfway down the stairs when the doorbell rang. Opening the door he found two Secret Service men on the porch. Nodding to both men, he stepped to the side allowing them to check the house. Once they were satisfied it was safe, they signaled the car outside and then took up their positions on the porch.
Gibbs welcomed his guests as they entered his home, shutting the door behind them. "Thank you for coming to my home, President Logan."
"After what we have put you through, it's the least I can do." The President headed into the dining room at Gibbs' direction.
Turning to his second guest, Gibbs smiled as he shook his hand. "Thank you for coming, Director Morrow."
"Why don't you tell us what this is all about?" Morrow got right to the point as he joined the President at the table.
Gibbs detoured to the kitchen, brought back the coffee pot and quickly filled three cups. Now once he was seated with his guests at the table, Gibbs began, "Director, I would like to discuss Tony's future with you."
"What about his future?" Morrow jumped in, not liking where this was going. "It was my understanding that you Claimed him at the cabin. Was that information wrong?"
"No, Director." Gibbs didn't even attempt to hide his annoyance. "Your information was correct. Tony belongs to me and I intend to keep it that way."
"And just what is that supposed to mean," the director snapped back.
"It means that what is happening to Tony is totally unjust." Gibbs raised his hand to stop the protests he saw coming from both men. "You both know what I'm saying is the truth. No matter what you have to say to yourself to relieve your guilt, you know this whole situation is unfair to that man."
"Watch your step, Gibbs. You are talking to the President of the United States, not some gang member off the streets," Morrow growled his disapproval.
"Calm down, Tom." Logan laid his hand on the director's arm. "Let's hear what Agent Gibbs has to say."
Gibbs nodded his head in thanks and then continued. "Tony has been ripped from a life and career he loved, stripped of all rights and dignity and thrown into slavery through no fault of his own. The point I'm trying to make is that we owe the man something."
"And just what, Agent Gibbs, do you feel we owe this man?" Logan sounded much calmer than he actually was.
"I think we owe it to him to help make him feel safe." Gibbs saw the confusion on both men's faces. Rising, Gibbs began to pace. "There is some concern that someone may try and take Tony away from me. I have made him a promise that that will never happen and I intend to keep that promise."
"Someone in particular, Gibbs?" Morrow asked.
"That doesn't matter, Director." Gibbs gripped the back of the chair so tightly his knuckles turned white. "What does matter is Tony being safe and secure. He is willing and able to accept this situation if he knows that no one can walk in and take him away from me."
"Willing and able to accept?" Sarcasm dripped off every word coming out of Morrow's mouth. "It's not like he has any other choice, Gibbs. He's a slave, he has no rights. I'd be more worried if he actually knew the truth."
"Oh he knows the truth." Gibbs smirked as both men before him seemed to pale just a bit.
"What do you mean, he knows the truth," President Logan pushed out through clenched teeth.
Gibbs looked Logan in the eye, wanting the man to know he was being completely truthful. "Tony knows the whole story. I told him everything, from his investigation of the terrorist cell, to the threats against the undercover FBI men in the cell. Tony understands the importance of making sure the cell stays where it is so they are accessible to pass info on to the right people."
"So then he also understands that the situation he finds himself in now is of his own doing," Logan stated defensively. "After all, had he quit investigating like he was told, this whole thing would have been unnecessary."
"Actually, that not exactly true," Gibbs answered, his voice filled with anger. "If anyone is to blame for this it's his Captain."
"What does his Captain have to do with this?" Morrow felt his gut clench, not sure he wanted to hear the answer to his question.
"Homeland Security went to his Captain and told him to tell Detective DiNozzo that he was treading to close to an undercover operation and they wanted him to back off, right?" Gibbs waited for both men to acknowledge his statement was true. "What no one bothered to do was to verify just what DiNozzo was told. Turns out that Tony and his Captain had a personality clash. So instead of the man telling Tony what Homeland said, he chose to tell DiNozzo that he felt Tony was too incompetent to complete the investigation and he was going to assign it to someone else."
Morrow and Logan exchanged a knowing glance before looking back at Gibbs. Logan began to realize that this may have been a huge mistake, but also knew he could never admit to it.
"Now, I don't know about you men, but if someone had told me that, especially someone who had made it quite clear that he did think much of me, I would have gone out of my way to prove him wrong." Gibbs took a sip of his coffee. "I wouldn't have quit investigating either. In fact, just like DiNozzo, I would have pushed the case harder and harder until I had solved it."
"And you told all this to DiNozzo. Why?" Logan was caught totally off guard and his mind was whirling fast trying to figure out the best way to handle what he feared was coming. "Why would you do that, Agent Gibbs? I told you at the start of this that it was a matter of national security."
"Yes, yes you did." Gibbs nodded his head before turning to glare at the President. "You also guaranteed me you would explain everything to Tony before he was brought to the cabin, but that didn't happen, did it?"
Logan looked away, unable to keep eye contact. "At the time we decided it was too risky to give him sensitive information. It was need to know."
"He did need to know! He needed to be told at least something about what was happening to him." Gibbs snarled back. "You left me no choice when you backed out of your agreement."
"Agent Gibbs," Morrow growled in warning.
"When I agreed to take this assignment it was under certain conditions." Gibbs glared at his director, making it clear that he was far from done. "One condition was that Tony would be told something about why he was arrested and thrown into slavery. You agreed to that, Mr. President." Gibbs turned his glare on the other man, pleased when Logan couldn't meet his eyes. "Imagine my surprise when I mentioned the word slavery the first time and the boy damn near passed out."
"So you felt it necessary to reveal a top secret operation to a slave?" Morrow shot back.
"No, Director, I felt it necessary to tell Detective DiNozzo the truth," Gibbs answered with just as much venom. "You could have prevented this, but you chose not to act. I was handed a man who had no idea what was happening to him or why. To make matters worse, the man was a cop, and from everything I could dig up on him, a damn good one. Do you really think he would have accepted just any lame excuse?"
"Okay, Agent Gibbs, I get it," Logan jumped in before the director could. "I dropped the ball, or as you Marines say, screwed the pooch. I'm not sure that gave you the right to break national security, but I understand why you did it."
Gibbs nodded his thanks before sitting down and picking up a business envelope on the chair beside him. "We need to get back to the subject at hand, gentleman - the safety of Tony DiNozzo."
"I think you need to explain to us about this threat that your slave thinks is out there. Or is it just a figment of his imagination?" Morrow smirked at his own joke.
"My slave has a name, Director, and it's Tony, and as far as the threat is concerned, it's not imaginary. It's real," Gibbs snapped, fighting to keep his anger under control. "Even if it were a figment of his imagination, as you call it, I think the least we can do is give him the peace of mind he deserves. We owe him that much." Gibbs laid the envelope in his hand on the table in front of him.
"What do you have in mind, Agent Gibbs?" Logan asked as he leaned forward trying to get a look at the envelope in Gibbs' hand.
"This is a list of…demands, I guess, for lack of better word." Gibbs pulled a sheet of paper out and held it up. "What I want is for you to sign it and place the Presidential seal on it. With your seal these demands will have to be enforced, despite court orders, law enforcement or government interference."
Taking the paper from Gibbs' hand, Logan looked it over, his eyes growing wide as he read on. "Good Lord, Gibbs, you’re serious about this!"
"Damn serious," Gibbs replied as he held up a pen.
Shaking his head, the President began to read the paper that stated Gibbs' terms.
In regards to the slave Anthony D. DiNozzo Jr., known as Tony DiNozzo, the following orders must be adhered to at all times:
Tony DiNozzo will belong to me, Leroy Jethro Gibbs and can not, for any reason, be removed from my custody or ownership. No one will be allowed to break or rescind my ownership at any time or for any reason.
While in my home behind closed doors, or anywhere on my property, Tony DiNozzo will be allowed to live his life as normally as possible. He will not be required to live the life of a slave unless specified by myself. Therefore he will be allowed to wear regular clothing, sit on the furniture, eat at a table and sleep in a bed, not a cage, and he will be allowed to stay in my home alone while I work and not be chained or caged. He will not be required to wear chains at all, unless specified by me. He will follow all laws and slave training when out in public, outside my home or off my property.
If at any time I become incapacitated whether through illness or injury, temporary custody and ownership of Tony DiNozzo will transfer to Dr. Donald Mallard or Abby Sciuto, whomever is immediately available. Tony will be awarded all family privileges and visiting rights should I be in the hospital and he will not be kept from me at any time.
On the event of my death, ownership and custody will transfer to Dr. Donald Mallard only, unless Dr. Mallard is unable to take custody, and then ownership will transfer to Abby Sciuto only. Should this happen, the slave, one Anthony DiNozzo, will continue in his slavery state for a period of 24 months, during which time he will be re-integrated into society, after which time he will be freed and given his life back, with no exceptions. He will also receive all of my death benefits as well as all life insurance at the time of my death.
If at any time the terrorist cell that caused Tony to be placed into slavery is disbanded, for whatever reason, and no longer needs to be keep secret, or is discovered and is no longer secret, Tony will be freed immediately and will be compensated financially so that he can restart a new life.
These demands must be met. If they are not, or if the government goes back on any of them, Tony will be immediately released from slavery and returned to his former life.
The President lowered the paper and looked up at Gibbs, his eyes filled with anger. "These are quite extensive, perhaps too extensive. If you think I am going to put my signature on these outrageous demands, you are out of your mind."
"Oh, you'll sign them and you will see to it they are followed to the letter, not only by your administration but by any administrations that follow you." Gibbs leaned back in his chair and smiled.
"Oh, and just what makes you so sure that's going to happen?" Logan leaned back, mirroring Gibbs' causal attitude and smile.
"Because if you don't, ZNN will get the story of the century," came a voice from the doorway.
Both of Gibbs' visitor's heads whipped around at the unexpected voice. Tony, bare-chested, stood in the doorway of the dining room wearing a pair of low slung jeans that looked like they had been painted on. His hair was still wet from his shower and he was barefoot.
"Are you threatening me, young man?" The President's eyes ran up and down the man standing in the doorway. Damn, I should have checked him out before this. I wouldn't mind owning him myself.
"No sir, making you a promise." Tony stepped into the dining room and laid his hand on Gibbs' shoulder. "If that document isn't signed or if at any time those demands are not followed, then a friend of mine at ZNN will receive a letter telling the torrid details of my arrest and enslavement."
"And just where is this supposed letter going to be coming from?" Morrow smirked, showing that he didn't believe a word he was hearing.
"From my lawyer," Gibbs replied, laying his hand on top of Tony's. "He has the letter in a sealed envelope and he had instructions to send it to ZNN if he doesn't hear from me. He and I have worked up a schedule, if I don't contact him at specified times he will send the letter. So you having me arrested and thrown into slavery to keep me quiet won't stop the letter. Oh, and threatening my lawyer won't help either, because I have someone in reserve as a backup."
"So you've resorted to blackmail, is that it?" the President asked.
"No, I would call it more a negotiation…" Tony began before he was suddenly cut off.
"You are a slave, boy; you have no right to negotiate anything." Morrow slammed his fist down on the table as he jumped to his feet.
"Sit down, Tom." Gibbs kept his voice calm despite the turmoil he felt inside. Once Morrow slowly took his seat, Gibbs continued. "Now we all know that isn't true. While Tony may be a slave, on paper at least, the circumstances behind his slavery are bogus, so as far as I'm concerned, Tony has ever right in the world to negotiate his future."
Logan's eyes traveled from one man to the next before he looked back down at the list of demands in front of him. Reaching out for the pen, he touched it to the paper before pausing and looking up at Gibbs once again.
Gibbs could see the apprehension and anger in the man's eyes. "Look, all we want is to keep Tony safe from his fa- from the man out to control him. There is nothing on there that is so outrageous that it will endanger national security. Your little secret is still safe and will remain that way as long as Tony stays safe." Squeezing Tony's hand, Gibbs glanced up at Tony and then back at the man in front of him. "Tony has agreed to remain my slave and to keep your secret as long as you sign that document in front of you."
With a reluctant nod of his head, President Logan signed the form and then placed his official seal on the bottom. Pushing the paper towards Gibbs, he stood up and headed for the door. "Let's go Tom, we're through here."
"That's it? You're just going to let them get away with this?" Marrow yelled at the retreating back of his Commander in Chief.
Stopping in front of the door, Logan turned a surprising smile on his face. "Well, Tom, you've always told me Agent Gibbs is the best there is. Looks like he's even better than you realized. You have your demands, Gibbs; let's just hope they don't backfire on you. They say that a leash binds the master to the slave as much as the other way around."
Gibbs nodded his understanding and then opened the front door, allowing his guests to leave. Once the cars pulled away Gibbs shut the door and turned to find Tony standing close behind him. Gibbs pulled Tony into his arms and hugged him tightly.
"Thank you," Tony mumbled into Gibbs' shoulder before Gibbs released him. "Thank you for risking your own freedom for me."
"You belong to me now, Tony. I take care of what's mine." Gibbs cupped his hand on the side of Tony's face, pleased when Tony leaned into the touch.
Tony grabbed Gibbs' hand and started for the stairs before he stopped and turned around. "Do you think he bought the story your lawyer has the letter?"
"Oh yeah, hook, line and sinker." Gibbs smiled broadly. "That was a good idea you came up with. You could have warned me though, before you spoke up."
"Sorry about that. It just came to me as I was coming down the stairs and I heard what was being said," Tony laughed. "You sure covered well."
"Well, yeah, I am a federal agent."
"Well, Mister Federal Agent," Tony said as he grabbed Gibbs' hand again and turned towards the stairs. "How about I show you how much I appreciate all you've done for me."
Gibbs slid his arm around Tony's waist and gave him a gentle, loving kiss. Then, side by side, the two men climbed the stairs.


THE END
Chapter End Notes:
There will be a sequel comng soon