- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
A warrant is served
Chapter 8

Gibbs closed the door of the car and put on his seatbelt. He waited as McGee joined him before starting the car and pulling away from the house. McGee had found a witness they had been searching for in a cold case and the two had just finished the interview.

"What do you think about Mrs. Winters, Boss?" McGee asked as he braced his hand on the dashboard.

"I think we need to re-interview the wife," Gibbs grunted and pushed down on the accelerator, increasing the car's speed. "Either she's lying to us, or that woman was, and my gut says Mrs. Winters was telling the truth."

Gibbs heard his ringtone for Tony go off and immediately grabbed his phone out of his pocket. They'd agreed that Tony was never to call him unless it was an emergency, and his stomach clenched in fear. Putting the phone to his ear, Gibbs answered in his usual gruff manner. "Gibbs."

"Gibbs, I need you to come home, now!" Tony's frantic voice came through the line.

"Tony, what's wrong?" Gibbs shouted into the phone as he turned the car around and raced down the highway. "What's happened?"

"Gibbs, they're here to take me away," Tony's cried out.

"I'm coming, Tony," Gibbs yelled and pushed the car even faster. "I'm close, babe, I'll be there soon."

"God, Gibbs they're breaking in! Hurry, for God sakes, hurry!"

"Tony, Tony, I'm coming, can you hear me? I'm coming! Damn it!" Gibbs threw the now dead phone into his pocket and turned the corner on two wheels.

"B-boss, what's going on?" McGee grabbed the oh-shit bar above his head.

"We have to get to my house," Gibbs growled, thanking God that the witness's home was only twenty minutes away from his place. With the way he drove they should be there in half the time.

***NCIS***

The wood splintered as the front door slammed open. Edward Lane entered first, followed by his rookie partner, Max Romero. Guns drawn, the two officers cleared each room on the main level, one by one, calling out "clear" as they went.

"Main level is clear, Mr. Patterson," Officer Lane called out to the man standing on the porch.

Patterson entered the house and quickly scanned the room. He released a breath he hadn't even realized he was holding. He knew in his mind that the agent who owned this slave shouldn't be home, but until he saw it for himself he wouldn't feel at all comfortable.

"Have you found him yet?" Patterson asked as he looked around the rather plain room.

"Not yet," Lane replied sarcastically. "We did just walk through the door."

"I don't need the attitude, Officer Lane," Patterson snapped back. "Just find him and get him shackled."

Lane stood and glared at the irritating man before him. He really disliked this man. He had, ever since he first saw him coming out of the Slave Reclamation building and heading for their car. It was unprecedented to have the head of the center to personally serve a reclamation warrant. His cop instincts told him there was something fishy about this whole situation, he just hadn't figured out yet what it was.

"Max, check the basement," Lane ordered and received a nod in response. He watched his partner head for the kitchen and then he turned towards the stairs. "I'll check the upper level."

Patterson stood in the middle of the living room, his foot tapping nervously. Where the fuck is he? This was supposed to be easy, in and out with the slave in shackles. Then I can hold the slave for ransom. Make DiNozzo give me the notes he's holding on me, or I see to it he is returned to his original owner, but if they don't hurry it will all go to hell. Come on, hurry! We have to be out of here before the agent shows up.

***NCIS***

Tony heard the crash of wood as the door was kicked in and it slammed against the wall. He carefully opened the window and quickly climbed out onto the roof, silently closing it behind him. But where should he go from here? The window faced the front of the house and he was now out in the open for anyone to see. He frantically looked around for anywhere he could hide just as the first drops of rain began to fall.

He looked up to the peak of the roof at the chimney. That would have to do. Tony tried to stand and walk up to the top, but he was barefoot and the rain was coming down fairly heavily now, so his feet kept sliding out from under him. He started to crawl, his knees scraping over the shingles as is legs continued to slip.

He had only made it about a foot from the window when he slipped and fell onto his hip and began to slide. He dug his fingers into the roof to stop himself, and had to bite back a scream when a pain shot through his leg.

Tony tried to turn onto his back, but found his pants were caught on a nail that was sticking out of a shingle. He heard a car door slam, but the rain was so heavy now, and the roof was soaking wet, he couldn't risk looking over the edge. He just knew it was more backup for the police now in the house, and he had to get out of sight, but the more he struggled the more the nail twisted into the leg of his pants.

Out of options, Tony pushed his sweatpants down and off his hips, and wiggled out of them. He began to crawl again, fighting the wind as he went, until he finally reached the top. He slipped in behind the chimney and leaned against it, shivering as he sat, buck naked, in the cold wind and rain. Please God, don't let them find me. Let Jethro come home in time.

***NCIS***

Patterson stepped closer to the stairs and looked for any movement. "Come on, come on," he mumbled to himself as he looked at his watch. "We're running out of time." Patterson froze when he felt the cold metal of a gun barrel pressed against his neck.

"Wrong, you've run out of time," Gibbs growled menacingly.

Patterson slowly raised his hands in surrender while drawing himself up to his full height, trying to project an authority he didn't feel. "You are interfering with the execution of a legal warrant, sir. You have no authority here."

"The hell I don't," Gibbs snapped. "McGee, watch the basement door." Gibbs kept Patterson in front of him as he called out to the officers. "NCIS, drop your guns and come down with your hands in the air."

To say Lane was surprised to hear the feds were on the premises was an understatement. His gut told him he had been right from the start, there was something more to this operation than Patterson let on. He walked carefully to the top of the stairs, his gun hanging from his forefinger. "I'm coming down."

Gibbs watched Lane start down the stairs. He looked him over carefully to make sure he was not a threat. "Keep your hands up and take it slow," Gibbs called out, keeping his gun trained on the officer as he drew closer.

Lane took every step with purpose, not wanting to give this fed any reason to think he wasn't cooperating. As he hit the last step, he made eye contact with the silver haired man, a hint of recognition in his eyes. "Gunny?"

Gibbs' eyes narrowed as he looked hard at the officer before him. "Lane, is that you?"

"Yeah, Gunny, but what are you doing here? This isn't your jurisdiction?" Lane holstered his gun and stepped forward to shake Gibbs' hand.

Gibbs began to holster his own weapon until he heard McGee shout and instead whirled and pointed his gun towards the basement.

"Federal agents, put your hands in the air," McGee yelled. "Step out of the doorway."

Romero held his gun pointed at McGee as he carefully stepped into the kitchen. "I don't think so. You drop your gun or face arrest for interfering with a lawful warrant."

"Romero," Lane yelled from the living room. "Put your gun away."

"But, they…" Romero was confused.

"Let me handle this," Lane said and saw Romero nod and holster his gun. "Now, Gunny, what are you doing here?"

Gibbs nodded at McGee to follow suit and then holstered his own gun before he turned back to Lane. "This is my home you've broken into."

"Your home?" Lane glared at Patterson who he noticed was suddenly very pale. "I knew something wasn't right here. I felt it in my gut the minute I saw that weasel come out of the building. I've never seen the head of any department actually get their hands dirty like this. They all ways send cops, like Romero and me, to do the dirty work."

"That's enough out of you," Patterson snapped at Lane before he turned to Gibbs. "I don't care whose home this is. I have a warrant here signed by a judge for the removal of an out-of-control slave at this residence and that is just what I intend to do."

"An out-of-control slave?" Lane questioned. "Now I know you're off your gourd. Do you know who this man is?"

"I don't give a flying fuck who he is," Patterson shouted as he waved a sheet of paper in the air. His stomach was tied in knots with rising panic. "All that matters is this warrant, signed by a judge." Patterson turned hateful eyes on Gibbs, his face red with anger and fear. "You and your slave have broken more laws than I can list, sir, and I am here to remove him from your custody."

"The hell you are," Gibbs shot back. "Just what laws do you claim we have broken? What proof do you have?"

"The slave is left here, alone, out of a cage, unchained, all day long," Patterson began. "He has been seen through that front window sitting on the furniture and eating at the table, and he has been seen out in the backyard, sunning himself, of all things, in skimpy bathing trunks."

Gibbs gave Patterson a lascivious smile, even though he was seething inside. "Have you ever seen my slave? You're lucky I allow him to at least wear those." Even as Gibbs faced Patterson, he wondered exactly where Tony had gotten to. Hopefully he'd found a good place to hide and would stay put until he could get these strangers out of his home.

Lane laughed at Gibbs' remark and Patterson threw him a dirty look. "This is no laughing matter, officer. Now, do your job and serve this warrant. I want that slave on his knees in front of me, in shackles, immediately."

Lane held up his hand when he saw Gibbs step towards Patterson, putting a stop to his movements. "I don't think so, Patterson. You may not care who this man is, but I do. I served with Gunnery Sargent Gibbs in the Marines many years ago, before he became the best damned slave trainer of all time." Lane smiled at the shocked look on Patterson face. "Well, looks like you didn't do your homework, did ya? This man had probably forgotten more about slaves than you will ever know, so I am more than positive that if any part of what you say is true, he has a damn good reason."

"I do, and had you bothered to come when I was here and ask me about it I could have shown you my reason," Gibbs said as he glared at Patterson. He could see the man trembling, but whether it was because he was so angry or something else, Gibbs wasn't sure. He decided he would test the weasel and see what happened. "But, no, you decided to come to my home, when you know I'm not here, and remove my slave using a bogus warrant." Gibbs took a menacing step closer and had to fight to keep the smile off his face when Patterson stepped back. "Just how much is he paying you?"

"What? Are you accusing me of taking a bribe?" Patterson sputtered. He couldn't believe how stupid he had been, not digging deeper into this agent's background. He could feel his life slipping away with each passing moment. "Good God man, can't you see what he is trying to do? He is trying to muddy the waters and draw your attention off your job. Now, you either serve the warrant and remove the slave or I will have you and your partner's badges."

Lane looked at Romero and could see the man was worried about his job, but he also nodded his approval to his partner. "We aren't doing anything until we see what the Gunny here wants to show us."

Gibbs smirked at Patterson before walking to his gun safe and opening it up. He removed an envelope and handed it to the officer. "This is why my slave is 'out of control' as he puts it."

Lane pulled the paper out and looked at it closely, his eyes growing wide in shock. "Is this…did he really…Alex, we're leaving. We cannot, now nor ever, remove the slave from this man's ownership."

"What? Why not?" Romero asked looking from Lane to Gibbs and back again.

"What!" Patterson shouted at the same time. "I have a warrant…"

"That's not worth the paper it's written on." Lane interrupted, shutting Patterson up. "He has a document signed by the President of the United States, with his seal that allows him and his slave to live a, shall we say, alternative life style. Everything you used against him to get that warrant, he has the right to do."

Patterson could only stand there, frozen in place, his mouth hanging open. He was through and he knew it. There was nothing more he could do but run for his life and that was just what he was going to do. Patterson simply dropped the warrant onto the floor and walked out of the house.

"Gunny." Lane walked over and offered his hand to Gibbs and was pleased when Gibbs shook it. "I promise you, when I get back to the precinct I am going to file for an investigation into that guy. I should have trusted my gut, just like you taught me. I knew there was something off about him."

"I'd appreciate that, Lane." Gibbs said as he walked Lane and his partner to the door.

"Tell me something, Gunny," Lane asked as he indicated with his head for Romero to go on out to the car. "Just who were you talking about when you asked that fool how much he was getting paid?"

Gibbs looked down at his feet, his lips drawn tight in anger. "Can't really say, I haven't got any proof."

"But you have a pretty good idea, don't you?" Lane asked, knowing the answer all ready.

"Yea, Lane, I do, but without proof…" Gibbs was interrupted by Romero stepping back inside.

"Hey, Patterson's gone."

"What the hell do you mean he's gone?" Lane asked and stepped out onto the porch. He was thankful the rain was finally letting up, but the wind was sure keeping the temperatures down. Lane shivered as he looked the neighborhood over trying to spot Patterson.

"I expected him to be in the car, pouting," Alex said in amusement. "But when I got out here, nothing, he was nowhere to be seen."

"Well, what the hell…" Lane mumbled under his breath.

"He can't face him," Gibbs spit out in anger. "Can't go back and tell him he failed."

"Who?" Lane asked.

Gibbs simply shook his head and then turned to Lane. "Thanks again for your help, but I have a feeling you're never going to see Mr. Patterson again, at least not anytime soon."

Lane nodded at his partner and then waited for him to get into the car before looking at Gibbs. "I know you don't feel you can say too much, without absolute proof, but I get the impression that something is serious wrong here." He hesitated, hoping Gibbs would confirm his suspicions but Gibbs stayed silent. "Just promise me one thing."

"What's that?" Gibbs asked.

"Call me if you need any help." Lane placed his hand on Gibbs' shoulder and gave it a supportive squeeze. "I mean with anything, Gunny. If you need help looking into whoever it is giving you trouble, or you need someone to stay with your slave while you're gone, it doesn't matter. Hell, if you want help knocking the shit out of the guy, call me."

Gibbs laughed and nodded in agreement. He watched the officer return to the car and then pull away before returning to the house. Stepping inside, he saw McGee coming up from the basement.

"The basement is clear, Boss," McGee said as he joined Gibbs in the living room.

"Tony," Gibbs called out, his gut twisting when he received no answer. "Their gone Tony, come on down." When there was no reply, Gibbs headed up the stairs, with McGee following close behind. He stopped when he reached the attic stairs and looked up.

"I'll check the bedrooms, Boss," McGee said as he moved further down the hall.

"Yea," Gibbs agreed, but his attention was still on the attic stairs. "Hey, check the closets and under the beds too." Gibbs glanced over as McGee entered the Master bedroom. "I don't think Lane had the chance to do that, and Tony would have looked for somewhere to hide."

"You got it, Boss." McGee wasn't sure why Gibbs' slave would feel it necessary to hide, but it wasn't his place to ask. He looked back as he entered the room and saw Gibbs heading up to the attic.

Gibbs entered the playroom and quickly scanned the area. His heart sunk when he didn't see any sign of Tony. Where the hell could he be? There's no place in here he could hide, not since we moved the boxes out. Maybe he went out back, to the shed, or maybe the garage. Gibbs' thoughts were interrupted when he heard a gasp of "Wow!" behind him.

"I've heard of things like this but I've never…I mean, wow." McGee stood, eyes wide open, as he looked around the room.

Gibbs smacked the back of McGee's head to get his attention before heading out of the room. "It's just a playroom, McGee, nothing special about it. Let's check out back." He had made it to the first step when he heard McGee call out.

"Hey, Boss, what's that?" McGee asked.

Gibbs stepped back into the room and followed McGee gaze. He was staring at the window, which Gibbs realized now was open just a crack. "What, McGee?"

"I saw something in the window, Boss," McGee said and then saw Gibbs questioning look. "I swear. It was just for a second but it was- there, there it is again."

As Gibbs walked towards the window, he couldn't help but think McGee must be seeing things. Maybe the shock of the playroom was playing tricks with his mind. Gibbs stopped suddenly when he saw something fly in front of the window. It was only there for an instant and then was gone, but Gibbs had definitely seen it.

Gibbs threw open the window and looked out. He spotted Tony's sweatpants blowing in the wind. He could tell they were stuck on something, but he couldn't tell what. Gibbs climbed out onto the roof, silently thanking God that the worst of the rain was over, and began to try and free the pants when he spotted movement by the chimney. He looked closer, not sure what he had seen when it moved again, and realized he was seeing Tony's hand trying to hang onto the chimney, but he was quickly losing his grip.

Gibbs began to scramble up the front side roof while calling back to McGee, who was leaning out the window. "Go down to the bedroom and grab a blanket." He was grateful the boots he had chosen to wear today had such a good grip.

Gibbs didn't wait to see McGee race from the window. His only thoughts were on getting to Tony. He reached him just as Tony lost his grip and began to slide down the backside of the roof. Gibbs grabbed Tony's arm and pulled him up, his heart twisting when he heard Tony cry out in pain. Gibbs pulled him close and wrapped his arms around Tony's naked body. He could feel Tony shaking, his teeth chattering with the cold.

"I've got you, Tony," Gibbs spoke close to Tony's ear. "Let's get you inside." Gibbs helped Tony climb down the roof, his movements stiff and slow. As they reached the window, Gibbs saw blood on Tony's hip and leg. "Tony, you're bleeding. What happened to your hip?"

Tony tried to answer but he was so cold he couldn't seem to make his mouth work. He sighed deeply and just laid his head on Gibbs' shoulder, trying to snuggle against the warmth. He startled when he felt a warm hand wrap around his arm. He whipped his head around and saw a strange man reaching out for him and he began to pull away.

"Tony, stop," Gibbs said as he tightened his grip on Tony. "This is Tim McGee, from work. He's a friend. He's just trying to help. You can trust him."

Tony looked into Gibbs' eyes and saw he was speaking the truth. He nodded and then allowed McGee to help him through the window. Once inside, McGee wrapped a warm quilt around him and helped him sit against the wall while Gibbs crawled back inside.

Gibbs dropped to the floor beside Tony, ignoring the pain that shot through his bad knee. He quickly looked his boy over and noted all his injuries. Not only was he shuddering violently from the cold, but he had a long, deep gouge on his hip and upper leg that was oozing blood. The tips of Tony's fingers as well as the palms of his hands were scraped raw where Gibbs figured he had tried to stop himself from falling.

Gibbs wrapped the quilt tightly around Tony and turned to McGee. "Help me get him downstairs and into a warm bed. Then I need you to call Ducky and tell him to get over here fast."
Chapter End Notes:
Sorry, I know I promised this to you last night, but my computer just refused to allow it.